2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going To Hire A K9 Search Team, I need a resolution to this limbo
Mink&WillowsMom
post Aug 8 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 1,750

Hi all. Well, y'all may think I'm CRAZY, but I've scheduled a K9 search team to come up Saturday to find Twitchit. I just need to find his body, and end this waitingwonderinglimbo. I hadn't considered it because I assumed it was wayyy too expensive. But a woman saw my ad in the paper, and called me to suggest a particular K9 team. Hilary had suggested him too, and thought he was out of Portland OR. But it turns out he's only 90 minutes away. I looked up the website, found his prices, did the math, and realized that I've spent more money a lot more frivolously than this. I'm blessed with a job that pays well, and decided that it's worth it to me have a final answer to this. I just want to be able to bring his body home and bury him. Part of me thinks I've gone bonkers, but as I said, I've spent more than this in far more frivolous ways.

He's taken dog teams to the Oklahoma city bombing, the big Turkey earthquake, and has found pets and kids and missing elders. His team was the ones to locate those two murdered girls from Oregon who were buried under concrete. He'll be here Saturday at 9am. Wish us luck.... ~Kimberly

--------------------
...You precious children, of four feet, whiskers, and mischief...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moose Mom
post Aug 9 2007, 04:17 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,225

Mink & Willows Mom

Good luck! I don't think you are crazy at all, I think it's a wonderful solution. You need some kind of closure. I'll be thinking of you and Twitchit Saturday.

Love

--------------------
Lori
For some of my Bridge kids.
Butch 1974-1996
Alex 1981-1996
Moose 1996-2006
Mommy loves and misses you guys. She remember's all of you, even though it's too many to name each one. I can't wait to see you again.

+Quote Post
toonie
post Aug 9 2007, 05:35 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,632

What a great idea, I'm so glad you found this, I would have never thought one could get this kind of help, and my heart will be with you over the weekend. Big hugs to you, you are a wonderful person, worth gold!

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Aug 9 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #4

Thank you for supporting this idea. I thought maybe you'd think I was going way overboard and being ridiculous. I haven't told any of my friends here. I feel a bit weird about it, since my every expectation is that we're simply locating a body. I don't want to risk hearing "good god Kimberly, will you let it go already?!!?"

--------------------

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Aug 9 2007, 11:12 AM
Post #5

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

sounds like a great idea, closure is important. and it may uncover good results too, of course. let us know what happens.

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

While all people here help each other, there are
times where an advanced degree of help may be needed.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or consumed
by grief, it is always best to seek professional help.

+Quote Post
AlleysMama
post Aug 9 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,356

Kimberly

I think its a wonderful idea. Even if he has already passed on, at least you will be able to bring him home and have him properly laid to rest. Not knowing is just so awful. I'll be keeping you and Twitchit in my thoughts.

Paula

--------------------
Read Alley's Story

May 1, 1997 to December 9, 2006 - Always in My Heart

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Aug 9 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,278

Oh Kimberly,
I don't think it's crazy at all. I considered it too, one person who responded to my craigslist ad suggested someone but I thought it would be too expensive. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and have been every day for weeks and weeks. Bless you both, I hope you find your answer and I understand and stand behind your decision completely. Take care - Barb

+Quote Post
paris
post Aug 10 2007, 06:52 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,227

Hi Kimberly.

I think the dog search idea is excellent. I looked into that too, found one on the west coast (I'm on the east coast) so the traveling etc. would have been costly. The actual search would have been affordable and apparently it can lead you to some conclusion (the site said even if the trail goes dead at a point in the road, this means the animal was driven off somewhere.) And no, the money is not wasted, absolutely if it gives you peace of mind. Lots of people spend a lot of money on therapists or meds to feel better.

As you know, I personally did not choose to use an animal communicator. Some thought I didn't think they should be paid the $80 or so for their service. My response was that I would have gladly paid someone a lot more than that if they could give me 100% accuracy. For me, the dog search is more concrete as they actually follow the animal's scent.

Just before Bennett miraculously returned, I asked my husband to go with me through the woods to look for the body. As much as I was dreading finding his dead body, part of me was hoping to find it to end the torment of 'not knowing'. This feeling can not be over-estimated, and if you haven't gone though it, I am sure many people you know can not understand this, along with not knowing how attached you can get to a cat.

I hope these good dogs will be able to help.

+Quote Post
Sibilance7
post Aug 10 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,332

Oh Kimberly, as awful as I feel at the death of my little Othello, I would feel a hundred times worse if I didn't know what had happened to him. I completely understand hiring a search team. I'll be praying that they are able to turn up some answers for you.

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Aug 10 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #10

The searcher will be here tomorrow, I'm getting nervous. I hope the dog finds *something.* In my heart, I believe she will. On an unrelated issue, I had occasion to talk today with a mystic. I asked about Twitchit, and he said my dad said that he's with him and Mink; that Twitch wanted to go be with my dad so he left. The mystic also said he could see Twitchit's body nearby in the woods, lying on its side. He described his coloring perfectly.

So keep your fingers crossed for me. ~Kimberly

--------------------

+Quote Post
zookeeper
post Aug 10 2007, 07:58 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,116

Dear Kimberly,

Holding you all in the light over here. I hope you have your answer soon, friend.

Sharon

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Aug 11 2007, 03:48 AM
Post #12

Hi Kimberly,
I know from things you've said and described (most recently today- well, yesterday - with the mystic) that you probably know what to expect. And that you know it may not be the outcome we've all been praying for. I send my thoughts with you on this journey - I just want you to have an answer one way or another, as I know you do, too. If Twitch is indeed with your Dad and Mink, you know his spirit is always with you, too, and he's always in your soul also, and one day, a long time from now, you'll all be together anyway. The peace comes with knowing that he's home, and with the people who love him. Not all pets have that solace. Twitch will, and he's blessed that way.

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow - today - and I believe you're strong enough for whatever you find. Your story has touched all of us who've followed it, and we're with you through whatever you come across. You're a brave lady, you've shown us by example, and we're with you. Do take care, let us know when you're ready, and know that you aren't alone, ever - Barb

+Quote Post
paris
post Aug 11 2007, 07:55 AM
Post #13

Please, God, let Your dogs find Twitchet.

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Aug 11 2007, 12:14 PM
Post #14

I'll be waiting all day and checking, and sending thoughts your way, Kimberly. My prayers join everyone else's. Take care of you, too - Barb

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Aug 11 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #15

We didn't find Twitchit's body. However, he brought two dogs, and both gave a definitive death signal at a spot under a cedar tree in my backyard, about 30 feet from the house. They were each very emphatic about it. So I know where he died.

The searcher didn't see cougar, bear, or coyote tracks, and he's all but certain it was a raccoon kill. 97% of the time his dogs will find a tuft of hair from coyote or cougar kills, and coyotes tend to drag the animal, then leave a leg or skull that the dogs find. But raccoons snap the neck, lift the animal and ascend quickly up the tree to their den, ending the scent trail. I asked about the collar, and he said only once, in thousands of searches, has he ever successfully found the den, as it was in a fallen log. Inside there were four collars.

I've seen raccoons in a tree next to the spot, and he told me what their poop looks like. After he left, I crawled on my hands and knees through the brush to the base of the tree, and did in fact find raccoon droppings. None of what I found had Twitch hair in it though.

Oddly enough, I had been spotting brightly colored feathers, and was taking them to be 'hello' signs from Twitch. (He did love to catch the birdies.) I found a bright orange one at his house, and a large black one right in my path. I'd noticed a bright blue one on the trail in my backyard a few days ago, and that turned out to the exact spot the dogs signaled. In fact, when they did their death-scent digging, they buried the feather. So that will be what I will symbolically bury for him, along with a tuft of his fur from his cat door.

It also explains why I've felt his energy so much at the back door -- you've heard me say I keep looking out the sliding glass door. I had a knack for sensing him the moment he walked up to the door, even though it's out of my direct line of sight when I'm watching TV. The back door is literally about 30 feet from the spot where he died.

As for me, I'm feeling mostly numb-sad-relieved. It feels like it's over. That sense of closure was what I needed from today, and I got it. The fee ended up being only $195. Money well-spent. Twitchit is with his papa. Dad had said Twitchit was the best cat he ever had, so I'm glad they still get to be together. I still feel cheated I didn't get my turn, but thems the breaks. Twitch was his cat, after all.

I just looked through my pictures of him, and was startled to find this one, taken nearly a year to the day before he died, in the EXACT spot he was killed. At the base of the bottom step, inches from where the dogs signaled.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Aug 11 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #16

If I may add one more...
Sweetly sniffing the wind...
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Aug 11 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #17

You know, Kimberly, I'm kind of glad/sad that you didn't find Twitch's actual remains. After all this time, it may not have been a sight you would need or be able to see. Especially if it were a violent struggle, and obvious that Twitchet suffered during the fight. In that case, I believe it would have been too painful for you to see, even knowing how much you wanted him back, to have him in his home. That's interesting how the searcher thought it was a raccoon - I know there's been some controversy over whether coons take cats or not, but at the shelter where I got Shadow back, the volunteer I spent a lot of time with was emphatic that coons do take cats, and do take them back to their kits in their nests. And I hear coons fighting amongst themselves all the time - they're violent little critters, not the cute little sweeties that people think they are. They tear each other apart, never mind any prey that get in their way. And when they believe it's prey for their young, well, anything goes, I guess. I personally believe they're capable of anything, cuteness notwithstanding.

I'm relieved also that now you know Twitch is with your Dad, and Mink. They sound like quite a trio. It's painful to know he's not here with you anymore, as it is for all of us who've lost pets. But Twitch and your Dad needed each other, and who can fathom that deep, deep need? Your Dad, I think, would be proud that you tried so hard to preserve his heritage to you, but something in Twitch, independent as he was, needed your Dad so badly. And I believe Twitch would be touched by the efforts you made on his behalf. You worked so hard, and I don't think any of it was in vain, because others have seen the love and devotion you've shown so openly for a pet, so they know that they can, too. Does that make sense?

I feel privileged to have known all of you, and hope we can continue this - gosh, what would you call it? - connection, that we've had, through the months ahead. It's been such a blessing, and I've learned so much, and you all have added so much to my life. I'll never forget you, Kimberly, or you, Twitchet, you elusive spirit cat, you. What a charmer you've been all along!

+Quote Post
Moose Mom
post Aug 12 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,225

Mink & Willows Mom

Well it's some kind of closure, not the kind we were all hoping for. His is with his papa now, that seems right to me too. My god he was a beautiful boy.

I so wish things had been different. Thinking of all of you.

Love

--------------------
Lori
For some of my Bridge kids.
Butch 1974-1996
Alex 1981-1996
Moose 1996-2006
Mommy loves and misses you guys. She remember's all of you, even though it's too many to name each one. I can't wait to see you again.

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Aug 13 2007, 04:40 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 3,331

Kimberly,
I am so sorry that your search and waiting for your beloved's return is over. I had contacted a woman from CT that had a search dog. I almost had her come up. I had contacted Hilary and spoke with her and after that decided that it wasn't worth it. I thought that she would only know the 'spot' as well. I feel that I always knew, and wanted to go, still do, to the area Toonces was enamored with, near our house. Hilary said that it was near the house where he died and that it was down a hole with a dark animal, near a young tree with a Y in it. There are a couple of things to chose from. One of my nephews tried to dig from each end of the dug hole that we have, near tree with Y in it, near the house. Groundhog or other type of hole/tunnel. Too rooty and nothing showed up near either end, no hair... It felt better trying. But I already know. But what I hadn't thought of was racoons! I always thought Coyotes, fishers, but not racoons. Golly! That widens it to NEVER LET YOUR CAT OUT doesn't it? But that's so hard, they get out, or want out, and successfully come back so many times that your forget. I have a friend who lives in town and her cat is out every night! She leaves a window open, or a garage open, which I wouldn't do, as other animals would crawl in uninvited too... but she feels fine with this. I always felt near the wooded area it was worse. It is, but still,... racoons are in town for sure! I might have to mention this to her.
I am sorry. I hope that Toonces is with Pepperoni, Sweet pea and Precious and maybe some of the other cats we had in my house as a kid. Rajah, Bear, Ginger, or Fritzy.... but the ones first mentioned were 'mine' and beloved by me, picked out by my heart... so they will always be my babies.
As I mentioned in my own post, Missing for a week now, I have a new kitty. It has helped me a LOT with the heartache. It doesn't take away the pain entirely, but it makes me able to feel a bit more normal, to revolve around the rituals of cat care, as we only had the one this is more of an issue, and also to have the interaction that only a cat can give. I am seriously going to try and discipline myself into having it be an indoor cat. I know someone will come over and he will bolt, so it might not be 100% but I am going to do my very best to keep him safe.
Twitchet and Toonces were very alike in looks. I just can't get my pics online, they area bit too big, and I can't figure out how to downsize them. He was a coon cat also, but more gray with white and cream. Twitchet looks like my Pepperoni did. He was gorgeous. They all tend to look like brothers! It is neat that way. I really like looking at the picures you post, they are beautiful. I adore my Toonces pictures. My neice gave me a huge black and white of Toonces as kitty. It is amazing. I think i will frame one and put it up. I may make a whole kitty wall, all my cats! Hilary , the pet communicator, said that Toonces was not in limbo, but a bit unsettled, and that ending things on a positive loving note would help. We haven't had a 'service' yet, but perhaps it's time we both did?
I hope no one is offended by that, but I am pretty certain, and I think if animals have spirits, and I think they do, then it won't hurt them or us to help send them on into their spirit lives with a memorial, and more importantly, with happy memories shared and a release of them with love in our hearts. I think there's room for the pain once in awhile as well as smiles and laughs about all the great moments and personalities of our kitties who have passed. Even if we don't have definitive proof, we can help make it easier, if we feel in our guts, that they aren't coming home.
I don' t think I will stop having a small bit of wishful thinking, miracle hope, but my mind says what Kimberly you have found, that a scuffle took place and our babies just were supposed to go.. I am not sure why Toonces had to go, but something is to be learned from it. You have a great comfort that your father and Twitchet are together. That is so wonderful.
Best of luck in your healing.
Joan

+Quote Post
paris
post Aug 13 2007, 07:04 AM
Post #20

Hi Kim.

Well, I'm feeling a sense of closure, as this long story has reached some conclusion. You have done everything possible to find him.

I was hoping for a different outcome, really, but I know the torture and anxiety of searching, hoping, not knowing, imagining. I am glad that this part of the journey has pretty much come to an end. Your memorial service sounds beautiful as you described in the other post.

I'm looking at the photo of him from behind. sitting there looking out at Nature....he is gorgeous, and reminds me of Bennett with longer hair.

I love you Twitchit! wub.gif

Kim, I know it is still rough, but I hope you find some peace in knowing that he is with your Dad, something you have felt for a long time.

Paris

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:37 AM