Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4 Weeks Today
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 23 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #41

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 3,336

I'll write ya'll back this week...

I just want to say it's been 12 weeks today...

And I really do miss him... sad.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Sep 23 2007, 08:56 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 1,278

Hi Maddie,
I know you're moving soon, but will you have friends remaining in the area who would be willing to watch and/or maintain the cage? Even a kid could do that, if you pay them a small stipend it might be a real incentive. You might check at a high school or middle school and see if they know of anyone who might do that if your friends are busy. And especially if you emphasize the reward aspect, that might be a real motivator for a kid or kids who would be willing to tramp through the woods and see if they see anything or will watch the cage. If you have a 4-H club or a Boy or Cub Scout troop nearby, it might be easier to advertise that idea. I don't know how practical these ideas are, but at this point, desparate measures are called for.

You know, Eagle really is a cute little guy, and someone may well have taken him in, I hate to say, maybe thinking he's a stray. If so, and they've bonded with him, it would be hard to find that person willing to give him up. That being said, he looks like a breed that needs grooming occasionally, so I'd also suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you contact local groomers.

I hope some of this may help. I think of you and Eagle every day and pray for you both. Let us know what happens, please, I hope against hope that you'll have your little one home soon. Do take care - Barb

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 25 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #43

I saw him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's still in the woods!

He looks good and he wasn't limping or anything...

I walked towards him...he didn't see me...

Then I went in the woods calling his name softly...

But I didn't see him anymore...

Now...how do I catch him?

I didn't know know what to think and I was worried...and God answered my prayer! smile.gif

Praise God I saw him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Sep 25 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 1,750

Yay! Hope lives! Do you have an option of sitting where you saw him, quietly, for several hours? Take a good book, a beach chair, and sing softly while you wait for him to wander up? Since he looks healthy he must be getting food from someone, I should think. How soon are you moving, and how far away? ~Kim

--------------------
...You precious children, of four feet, whiskers, and mischief...

+Quote Post
paris
post Sep 26 2007, 05:14 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 3,227

Oh Maddie, This is great news!

I don't know why he didn't come when he heard you, though, and what to do to catch him! What time of day was it? Is there some kind of meat or food that has a strong smell that you can put down and then wait nearby? You said you saw him and then went into the woods. Did he seem to be coming out of the woods? Oh, I wish I knew!! this is encouraging, but frustrating. Did you ever call the K9 person to maybe have a phone consulation?

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 28 2007, 01:15 PM
Post #46

Kim - I've been going by the site around 6:15 pm and staying until almost dark but I haven't seen him again...

I think it's 3 weeks that I'm moving...I'm not sure of the exact day yet...

And I'll be moving about 45 minutes away from here... sad.gif

Paris - He wasn't coming out of the woods...he was walking around the woods from what I could tell...

It is frustrating because he's so close...ugh!

I called Harry the SAR expert and he told me to pee and put it in a spray bottle and make a trail from where I saw him all the way home (I did this once before)...so off to Wal-Mart I went to get another spray bottle!

Then he said to cut up a pair of socks that had not been washed so I just took off the socks I had on...he said to cut them up in little pieces and throw them around which I did...

He said to us a trap as a last resort (and the trap I had was either stolen or discarded by the construction workers)...

He said steak is good to use...but I don't want some other animal to get it...I want Eagle to get it!

Since I don't have much time I may have to just go buy another trap...

I don't know what else to do and I have only a certain amount of time to try and get him...

Oh, I want him back so bad... sad.gif

I just have to keep trusting God...

Thanks for your support and your help and your friendship!

+Quote Post
paris
post Sep 28 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #47

Hi Maddie.

At least you are 45 minutes away and can drive back easily. Have you tried going there at the break of dawn? That seems a time animal awaken and things are very quiet. Can you bring some meat with you, and if you see him throw the meat out for him to get? Then maybe you can try to approach him and throw a net over him or something. Sorry, I'm getting desperate to catch Eagle!!

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Sep 29 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #48

Wow, what a breakthrough! He's still out there, and if he looks good and is moving easily, he must be developing survival strategies to keep himself going. I think Kim's idea is good, to sit quietly and read aloud or just make yourself heard in a non-threatening way. And the urine and socks will keep him thinking about home and where he should be. Being alone in the woods would also be a good time to sit and pray and visualize him coming up to you too. I send all the best and my prayers too - Barb

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 29 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #49

Paris - This is so true:

I'm getting desperate to catch Eagle!!

I really am getting desperate! blink.gif

I have not tried going out at dawn...maybe I should try that...

If I saw him and threw anything at him he'd definitely run away...

Barb - yes, it was an answer to prayer!

It's so frustrating because he's sooooooo close!

I'm going to buy another cage and try that...I just called the place that has them and there's no answer...ugh!

So I'll have to go Monday...but until then I will be out looking for him...

Thanks so much ya'll!

Luv,
Maddie

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 29 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #50

I just saw him!!! smile.gif

I saw him coming around the corner then I lost site of him...

Then I saw a dog coming close and I thought "that's not Eagle...he's too small"...but it was Eagle...

This is the closest I've been to him...

He is thin and he is dirty but he is still my Eagle...

I called his name and he stared at me for a long time...

And I called him again and he stared at me for a long time then too...

I called him one more time and he ran off into the woods...

I don't think he'll come to me again...

Unless I go out there every night but go a little bit closer...I don't know...

I thank God that I got to see him again...

+Quote Post
paris
post Sep 30 2007, 05:56 AM
Post #51

Maddie, keep going there. You must be able to catch him. If you do catch him, how are you going to take him out? Do you have a leash with you? Is the collar still on? Do you see him approximately in the same place? Maybe in the cage if you put the scents of you in there, not food, only Eagle will explore it. He must be in another state of mind, as he is not coming to you when you call. But he did stare at you, so part of him knows who you are.

I was thinking if you got close enough you could throw a net or something over him, so he doesn't run away when you try to get him. I've seen this kind of thing on Animal Planet with other animals. Often animals allow you to get close, but take off when you get right into their space.

This is very encouraging.

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Sep 30 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 1,750

QUOTE (Eagle'sMom @ Sep 29 2007, 04:45 PM)
I called his name and he stared at me for a long time...
And I called him again and he stared at me for a long time then too...
I don't think he'll come to me again...

Maddie, what do you make of this? Do you think he's making a choice between you and another family? Do you think there's something between him and you he's trying to work out? Is he [let me put this gently] becoming addled? You know him best -- what's your gut tell you about why "I don't think he'll come to me again?" If this is true, in the end it'll be an important part of how you resolve this within yourself. ~Kimbercurious

--------------------
...You precious children, of four feet, whiskers, and mischief...

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Sep 30 2007, 12:18 PM
Post #53

Oh Maddie, that's so great! To see hime twice in a row - he maybe needs to re-acclimatize himself to your presence, so I agree with paris - you need to keep going there, and he'll get used you again. Maybe after his summer and some prolonged hunger he's developed he may have something like hallucinations - I'm not a vet but that's what happens to me when I haven't eaten in a day or two. He may not understand that it's you who's trying to make contact with him. So by all means, go to the woods whenever you can, at all different hours, and take food with you and let him see you put food out for him. I've found with my feral cats that if I warm up canned food in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, the scent is stronger and may intrigue him to explore it. During the day, the coons usually don't hang around and may not get to the food before Eagle can.

As far as the cage goes, if you do put one out, cover it up in some way with brush or a tarp so that Eagle doesn't recognize it right off as a cage. He's probably cage-shy by this time. A net might be a better alternative if the cage won't fool him, but be sure you get a big enough net and practice with it so he doesn't get away and have one more thing to fear. Good luck, with all of us pulling for you and praying for you both, I think you're getting some results here which may be very useful. You're both in my prayers and thoughts - Barb

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Oct 2 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #54

I just saw him again!!! biggrin.gif

He was coming out of the woods...I was only 8 feet away from him...

I knelt down and called his name and he ran back into the woods...

I think I startled him...

I think I should have waited a few more seconds for him to see me first...

Oh the poor thing...his hair is covering his eyes...which I knew would happen but now I saw it...

I want him back so bad...

I'll write more tomorrow...

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Oct 2 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #55

Well, Maddie, you're getting closer and closer, and that's great! Did he look hungry? When you go to the woods, maybe take some canned food, beef jerky, soft treats, his old toys, whatever used to be his stuff. I believe you're getting closer and closer. He's obviously unused to people, so you may need to work on getting to know him again. I really do believe you're getting somewhere, and that's so optimistic. Maybe leave some food or a toy he used to know, or spray your urine where you saw him. Get him as used to your scent and habits as possible. Maybe put his old food bowl nearby. Wow, I wonder every morning if there's been news, and this is really great. Prayers continue, and I think of you both every day. This is great! Hang in there, I know it's hard, but you've been strong through all this and I know you'll continue. God bless. Take care - Barb

+Quote Post
paris
post Oct 3 2007, 05:52 AM
Post #56

Maddie,

Keep going. You must bring some meat with you, something with a strong odor. I would sit there and do as little as possible, gently call him. Place the meat a few feet from you.

My question is, if/when he gets close to you, and this is important, how are you going to secure him? If you try to pick him up he may run off or wiggle out of your arms.

Guys, what do you think is the best way to trap Eagle if Maddie gets within a close proximity to him?

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Oct 3 2007, 08:39 AM
Post #57

Move very, very slowly and carefully, then quickly grab him and hold on as much as you can, then try to slip a lead or choke collar over his head to secure him. I don't like choke collars especially on a small dog, but they have the advantage of being loose and easy to slip over the head and then tighten up so he can't get away no matter how hard he tries. If a lead is already attached to the collar, all the better. That's the best I can think of, and it has the advantage of being easy to conceal so as not to scare him off right away before he gets close enough. I hope that doesn't offend anyone, but desperate measures are called for in this case and time really is of the essence.

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Oct 3 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #58

Hi ya'll!

I don't think I'll be able to get that close to him again...maybe...I'm not sure...but he's fast and he doesn't like anything fast or unexpected...he gets frightened and scared and will run...

Today Animal Control is letting me borrow a cage since mine is gone...they said they normally don't do this but that they're going to in this case...that's a God-thing! smile.gif

Please pray that Eagle will go into it so I can bring him home...

I don't know if he still knows me or not...I called the Vet just now to ask her what she thinks of all of this...

I called Harry yesterday to ask him why he stared at me but he hasn't called me back...

But he still knows his name...

I've had 2 good Christian friends tell me they think I'll get Eagle back...

I don't want to get my hopes up...

I am praying to God to prepare my heart for whatever happens...

But He's working through this...the times I've been out there and seen Eagle...those were not coincidence but God's perfect timing...

I know I have to keep my hope up...

Ya'll mean so much to me...I really appreciate all the support and all the prayers...

Will update when something else happens...and I hope something good will happen soon! smile.gif

Luv,

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Oct 4 2007, 08:43 PM
Post #59

I almost wish, in this case, that it were legal to shoot a little dog with a tranquilizer dart, especially if you don't see him close again soon. That being impossible, I still feel that the urine bottle scent will get Eagle's attention and get him used to your scent again. Dogs have such a hightened sense of smell compared to humans, and have an inordinate interest in the scent of urine anyway. Think of all the dogs you see sniffing at bushes and lightposts. When you get the cage, I'd soak an old towel or something with the urine spray, and camoflage (I'm not sure of the spelling but you know what I mean) the cage, maybe put some smelly food in there. (With cats, you're supposed to use mackerel or some oily fish, I don't know about dogs, but hopefully it's not something that will attract the coons or other critters first, cause that'll spook Eagle yet again.) If you have the time, I'd haunt the cage area quietly as much as possible, but then again, if Eagle is so spooked easily by now, who knows what he'll do. It sounds as though he's acclimated himself to life in the woods, but again, I still can't believe he's in such good shape after all this time if someone else somewhere isn't feeding him, or he's stealing food from somewhere. Are you sure that somewhere in the woods, or on the other side of them, there isn't a home or maybe a homeless camp or someplace he's finding food? It's so puzzling, but like you, I believe in God's plan, and I know He is watching out for both of you. You're in my prayers, you and Eagle, so take care - Barb

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Oct 6 2007, 12:22 PM
Post #60

Barb,

I know what you mean about a tranquilizer dart...someone's mentioned that to me as well...

The animal shelter lady said she didn't feel comfortable leaving a $500.00 trap where there was construction going on and she said she'd have someone call me back and nobody did...I called them but no one has called me back...

They are really tearing down the woods...

I don't even know if Eagle will come back to the spot where I've been seeing him since there's hardly any woods left...

I talked to one person who works with animals and I talked to him today...he can't help because he's a SAR person and can't go on private property like that...he said he doesn't have any cages but would call this other person and ask them for help...

Ugh! This is so frustrating!

And I'm in a slightly desperate/panic mode...

But I know everything is in God's Timing...I have to keep reminding myself of that...

I have these thoughts of a miraculous homecoming with Eagle just walking back home...

I have these thoughts of seeing him in the woods and him coming right up to me...

And then I have the thoughts of not getting him back at all and what that's going to do to me...

I know I have to stop that...and just trust God...

He hasn't said to stop looking yet...

So I go every day hoping to see him...hoping he'll come up to me...

I believe God is preparing my heart for whatever the outcome will be...

Last night I had the feeling that it's time to start going into the woods again...I called my son to see if he could go with me but he's not sure...if he can't I'm still going to go by myself tomorrow after church...

I'll update soon!

Thanks...

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:12 AM