6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4 Weeks Today
Eagle'sMom
post Aug 30 2007, 09:13 AM
Post #21

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 3,336

Kimberly - I do call to Eagle when I leave food there...

There was no sound when it was dinner time ...just my voice saying, "Eagle...time for dinner"...

And I say that right before I'm leaving the woods...

I'm in Southeast USA and don't know if there's a K9 team...I think I will call the fire department though...and thanks for the link...I may have to go that route if I can afford it...

I don't know if he's fearing I'm angry at him...oh I hope not! sad.gif

I talked to a woman yesterday and she said her cat ran away for a day and was mad at her...even though the cat was the one who ran away!

Eagle can be mad at me if he wants to be...I just want him home!

Barb - We didn't search the woods yet but some friends have suggested to all get together and look for him one afternoon...

I did go out and buy some rubber boots...praise God they had my size...my shoe size is small and it's hard to find shoes let alone rubber boots in my size!

The woods are thick and I don't think we could get totally through all of it...but I don't want to be negative...

Now the people working on this new subdivision are clearing out part of the woods fairly quickly...I don't know if that will deter Eagle from coming around or not...

I just have to trust God...

One man told me this morning that if Eage goes in the pond he'd probably get eaten by an alligator...what a nice thing to say...NOT! ohmy.gif

Paris - I know I shouldn't have felt guilty...I felt so useless at the time...

I just want to do everything that I can to get him back...I want to make right choices...

I know ultimately it's God's choice if I get Eagle back but I feel like I have to do something and that night I wasn't able to do anything...

Yes, I went to the Animal Shelter...took care of all that...

He has a micro chip so that's good...

He is also wearing his rabis tag that has a number on back that anyone could call to find out who he belongs to...

I do regret that I never bought a tag with my phone number on it...never thought I'd ever have this happen... sad.gif

Thank you all for your help, your suggestions and your support...it means so much to me... smile.gif

God did say to keep going [to the woods] until He says stop...so I'm "holding on" to those words...

I do get discouraged...like this morning when I saw how much of the woods has been cleared...and not seeing Eagle in the cage but just seeing that the raccoons had been there...it was 2 weeks ago yesterday that I last saw him...I haven't seen any paw prints...so I do get down and my faith waivers...

I have to just increase my faith and trust...and be hopeful...

It's hard sometimes when a "piece" of you is missing... sad.gif

Thanks again everyone!

Maddie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Aug 31 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #22

No Eagle this morning when I went to the woods but the raccoons had gotten his food...

I did, however, see paw prints...I think they were his...I have to believe that they were... smile.gif

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Aug 31 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,278

Believe me, Maddie, those coons will keep on coming back, and Eagle will never get any of that food, and if he tries, those coons can be pretty vicious about protecting it. They see it now as their food, not his. I suggest you leave something of yours, old clothes or something unedible, it'll discourage the coons but maybe Eagle will find it and know you were there. The food will never, but never, get to him.

If the woods are that thick and there's a possibility of gators around, I really do suggest a SAR team. The fire dept is the place to start, that's a good idea. The Humane Society may even have some ideas of where to find someone. I don't know much about gators, I do understand that they go into a semi-hibernation during winter, is that right? If so, that's good, but still, I'd be worried. The idea of you and your friends searching the woods is also a good idea, as long as you all don't stumble into a pond!

It sounds as though Eagle is still around, so keep your faith. I admire your steadfast diligence, and I understand your feelings of discouragement - it's all part of the process. But you're doing your best, and there is a good chance, I still believe, of an outcome to comfort you. Take care - Barb

+Quote Post
paris
post Aug 31 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,227

Maddie,

I don't think it is a good idea to leave food in the cage. Maybe you can disinfect it (to get rid of the racoon smell) and just leave your clothing. just a suggestion.

I know how hard it is to have your pet missing. It is in God's hands.

I wouldn't take to heart what someone said about the alligator. That is highly unlikely.

The one thing that lost dogs have over lost cats is that when people see a stray dog, they usually know the dog is someone's pet. With cats (with no collars) people seem to think the cat belongs to no one. So if someone sees Eagle, who has a collar and chip, they will do something to help, I'm sure of that. I found when my cat was gone that there are many good people out there.

I hope so much that Eagle finds you soon....

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 10 2007, 09:41 AM
Post #25

5catsmom & Paris,

Thank you both for your replies...

I had been so discouraged because the raccoons had been getting all the food and I had not seen Eagle in some time so I stopped bringing food to the woods for about a week...that was hard...

Some friends and I went into the woods a week ago Sunday...of course alot of it was too dense to even walk through but we walked around and looked for anything that might resemble something or somewhere Eagle might have been...but we came up with nothing...

I was really discouraged because I had no idea if he was still in the woods or not...

This past Wednesday I went to the Fire Dept., called the Police Dept. and called the Sheriff's Dept. to see about a K-9 unit...no one could help...

So I called Harry at www.k9sardog.com...

He said there was no one in my area and the only person he knew was a lady that lived in another state but he didn't have her name or anything...

He was very kind...

He did give me a suggestion...

He told me to pee and put it in a spray bottle and go to the last place I had seen Eagle and spray there and spray a trail all the way to home...I thought how strange but I ran to Wal-Mart and got that spray bottle!

I sprayed on Wednesday night not knowing if he was still there or not...

But Praise God I saw his footprints Wednesday night so I know he's still there! smile.gif

He still hasn't made it home but I'm praying (and so are alot of other people) that he will come home...

Last night I brought the cage back out to the woods with the pillow case in the cage and I put some pee on the pillow case hoping Eagle will smell and go in the cage...

This morning when I went to check the trap the cage had been tripped but no Eagle...I hope the cage is working properly...

It's been 9 weeks and 1 day since he's been gone and it seems to get harder and harder...

I came here a week ago Friday and I was tired because I had worked and I missed Eagle and I was so down and when I read this Paris it made me cry...a comforting cry if that makes sense:

"I know how hard it is to have your pet missing. It is in God's hands."

It was like God was speaking to me...

Thanks again ya'll for being so supportive...

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Sep 10 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #26

Maddie,
Hang in there! I know it's hard and it's real easy to get discouraged. But the fact that he's still around is really good news. Are there any other people who live close to the woods that you know? If so, maybe they know something. I can't help but think that he's getting food or shelter somewhere; it's much harder, I think, for a dog to live off what's in the woods than, say, a cat. The other thing that occurred to me is that Eagle may be very aware of how the cage works and may have even seen it be tripped. They do make a sound and the door drops very quickly. That may spook him somewhat. You might want to try wiring up the door for a day or so and give him a chance to see what's in there without the fear that the cage might hurt him. If you're comfortable that he is visiting regularly, you can take the wire off and next time he goes in the trap will get him. A lady who traps feral cats told me to do that to catch one of our ferals for neutering. Let them get over the fear of the cage and think that it won't hurt or trap him, and he may go in more readily.

We're all holding out hope for a happy ending for you and Eagle. I agree with Paris that this is in God's hands, so every prayer helps. You're a good and devoted mama for Eagle, and I'm sure he misses you too. Take care and let us know how it goes - Barb

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 10 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #27

Barb,

Thanks for the continued support...

There are other people that live here...it's a condo unit...and several people know what's going on...

I think that's a great idea to wire the door... smile.gif

Eagle is afraid of noises and unexpected movement and if he did see and hear the trap shut it would spook him...

I'm going to do that tonight!

Thanks for the idea!

Now all I have to do is figure out how long to keep the trap opened... unsure.gif

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
paris
post Sep 10 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #28

Maddie,

I read your last post with much pain. I am still so hopeful that you and Eagel will be reunited. Wondering if that trap you have works well, because it sounds like it has been visited several times. The urine scent may be a smart thing to do!

How big are these woods? Are you in a suburban area? I'm racking my brains to try to think of something that can be done!!

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 10 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #29

Paris,

Thanks for your continued support...

The woods are not that big...although it seems like they are when trying to find a little dog...

I live in a suburban area of town...

The condo unit is next to the woods...

Now they are clearing alot of the trees and building roads as this is going to be a subdivision...

I think it's pushing Eagle further and further back into the woods...

They are also building a business park right next to where the subdivision is going to be...

There is a patch of woods in the back that I think will be left untouched...

God said to keep looking, but I don't know what else to do... sad.gif

Thank you for trying to think of other ways to get him back...

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 10 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #30

I wired the cage so it won't shut if he goes in to smell...

I pray that he does...

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 16 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #31

I just came back from the woods and the cage is gone! sad.gif

They are doing construction and some of the guys know I'm looking for my dog...

I can't believe they would just discard it like that... sad.gif

I'm so sad and I feel hopeless that I will ever get him back... sad.gif

I know God knows where he is...

I wish God would tell me where else to look...

It's been 10 weeks today... sad.gif

I'm at a loss...
sad.gif

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Sep 16 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 1,750

Have you called the Fire Department yet to find the nearest K9 Search and Rescue team? It's probably so much less expensive than you think, and there's only one way to find out.

--------------------
...You precious children, of four feet, whiskers, and mischief...

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 16 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #33

No, I haven't done that yet...

I will do that this week...

Thanks for reminding me!

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 16 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #34

I just called the Fire Department...

All of the SAR teams around here only do human searches...none for animals...
sad.gif

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Sep 17 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #35

Hi Maddie,
It's amazing to me that the construction guys would take the cage unless they're actively working in that area. Is there a central place where they gather, a trailer or something like they have on most construction sites, that you could go to and ask about it? If you could contact the foreman or the supervisor and remind him about Eagle, he may be able to come up with something or someone who knows where the cage is. Also, I remember thinking when Shadow was missing, that the one thing I should have done was to print bi-lingual posters. I don't know what state you're located in, but some construction guys in this area work day-to-day and only speak or understand Spanish, and understand or read only limited English. Not that that bothers me at all, but I always thought that expanding my search to include more people would help. Anyway, just a thought. I think of you and Eagle every day and am praying for both of you. Please keep us updated and take care - Barb

+Quote Post
paris
post Sep 18 2007, 09:00 AM
Post #36

Maddie,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Are you fairly sure that Eagle is in those woods, or could he have wandered off? Are you posting in the classified ads in surrounding areas?

I wish I knew what to say. You believe in God. You know that everything is in God's hand and happens for a reason. I do not know why God has put this obstacle in your path, why there is so much suffering in the world. Every time I come to this site, I hope and pray that you will post that you have found Eagle.

I do think that if someone finds a dog the chances are much greater than with a cat that they will report it to the local shelter or lost/found ads. I wish I were in your area and I would go out looking with you.

P.

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Sep 18 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #37

Barb - No, there's no trailer or anything where they hang out...

I went over there a little while ago and gave everyone I saw a flyer...

I looked for the foreman and didn't see him today...but I will ask him when I see him...

I only had flyers for English speaking people...

I didn't see any who were unable to speak English...

Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers...

Paris - I don't know for sure if Eagle is still in the woods or not...

One of the guys I gave a flyer to today said he saw a little dog around 6:00 a.m. a few weeks ago...but it didn't sound like Eagle's description...it could a have been him though because he's been out in the elements for 10 weeks and 2 days so no telling what he looks like now...he said he always sees paw prints and I asked him to call me the next time he sees them so I can go and see if they're Eagle's...he also said he stays around this one place...the one place where we've seen him and where I put the [missing] cage...I have to believe it's Eagle...

I'm going to look at Harry's website (www.k9sardog.com)...he said he has ways to find lost pets on there...

Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers....

One thing that is bothering me is that I'm going to be moving in about a month... sad.gif

I don't know how I'm going to feel if I don't have him back by then...

I know everything is in God's Timing and He did stay to continue looking until He says stop...so that's what I'm doing...

It's so hard to think I might have to leave him in the woods...
sad.gif

+Quote Post
paris
post Sep 20 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #38

Hi Maddie.

I'm thinking of you. I didn't know you were moving....I suppose it is somewhere far away. That must be so agonizing to leave the woods. I still think if someone finds Eagle, they will try to find the owner, so be sure to have your bases covered. He has a rabies collar on, so can that be traced to an owner?

I'm thinking so hard of what to say or do for your....I feel your pain. You have done so much. Did you try calling that fellow at the KSar? Maybe you can speak with him, to get some advice.

My thoughts are with you always,
Paris.

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Sep 20 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #39

Oh, gosh, Maddie, what you must be going through, I can't imagine. Do you need another cage? It may be that your local shelter will lend or let you rent one, or know where you can do so. I know that a lot of wildlife rehabilatators in this area have cages that they use, but I don't know if they lend them out. When I trapped my feral (now rehabilitated indoor) cat, our local chapter of Alley Cat Allies had steered me to a lady who lived nearby and makes it her life's work by catching,neutering and releasing feral cats, and had lots and lots of cages she lends out. She let me keep a cage for over a month till I caught Bear. It was a cat-sized cage, but I'd think the shelter might have an idea of who might have a dog-sized cage lying around. Or if Eagle is small enough, maybe a cat-sized cage would work. And if so, then you can put a sign on the cage telling whoever finds it that it must not be touched, or you could somehow secure it so it can't be moved. Stake it down or something. It's a great idea to keep in touch with the guy who has seen paw prints in the woods. And with the leaves coming down soon, the woods should be a little more transparent so it might be easier to sight a dog. The only other thing I can think of is to call the SAR man and see what he can do. Will you be moving far away? If so, leave a forwarding address with everyone around (which you'd probably do anyway). And have you notified your mail-person about Eagle? They tend to be pretty observant about dogs anyway, for obvious reasons, and one of them may know where a little white or beige dog is, cause it may very well be that someone has taken Eagle in. I'm just racking my brain thinking of what you can do, so I'll keep brainstorming with myself. And as always, I'll keep you both in my prayers. Do take care, and keep us updated - Barb

+Quote Post
paris
post Sep 21 2007, 04:46 AM
Post #40

[QUOTE=5catsmom,Sep 20 2007, 09:19 PM] It was a cat-sized cage, but I'd think the shelter might have an idea of who might have a dog-sized cage lying around. Or if Eagle is small enough, maybe a cat-sized cage would work. [ /QUOTE]

Eagle is a small dog and would fit in the cat cage. Taping a note put in a plastic sleeve is a good idea. The problem is she's moving soon. But yes, for the time remaining, a cage is a good idea.

I'm wondering if someone did take in Eagle, though I still believe that people who see a stray dog (unlike a cat) would not think the dog is abandoned or feral...but maybe I'm wrong. Maddie, how far out have you posted your search....and are you in the classified section, do you have flyers w/ photo posted? Have you posted and looked in Craig's List (you have to select the closest city)? craigslist.com

When my cat, Bennett, went missing, I was interested in speaking to someone or reading about cat psychology. In your case, dog, in other words, what is the behavior of a lost dog? Does it hide, circle an area, move farther and farther out, etc.....

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:00 PM