12 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> It's A Tuxedo Girl, a new friend to comfort me over losing my Danny boy
DannysMom
post Nov 11 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #81

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,464

moon_beam, thank you for your support. Mindy seems to be doing better today, but she has hardly touched her canned food. She readily ate another dose of the carafate tablet wrapped in a pill pocket, and she also took some L-lysine treats. I just get so jumpy now every time she meows and check on her quite frequently. I don't want to miss anything. I gave Shelley a smaller helping this morning. I can't really feed them separately as they are both hungry in the morning. But I can watch their portions a bit more.

I am quite concerned about Mindy's weight and hope she can lose some of it. 2 pounds definitely need to come off, but it'll be a slow process.
She is such a gentle little cat and she did so well at the vet yesterday. She was calm and quiet and allowed the vet to handle and examine her. It's as if she knows that they are trying to help her.

Unfortunately as I came home from the pet cemetery today I found I had lost the earring from my left ear. It's snap down so it wouldn't have come off that easily. I stopped at Kroger on the way home and went back and checked there and left my name and phone number just in case. I know they're just earrings, but they were my favorite ones and very expensive too, 18k yellow gold hoops. Something was telling me not to wear them but I did it anyway. Maybe next time I should listen to that little voice. sad.gif

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Nov 12 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #82

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Mindy are doing. I hope she is continuing to feel better, and that she is eating her food normally today. Please let us know how she's doing.

I'm glad you were able to visit your beloved Danny and Tina in their resting places yesterday. I hope there was no damage from the effects of the Sandy or the nor'easter.

I know what it's like to lose a favorite earring - - I know how you feel. I hope you're able to find it or have it returned to you.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Mindy and Shelley kindly, my friend, and that you and your precious girls will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, DannysMom, and of your precious Mindy and Shelley. Please know you and your precious girls are in my thoughts and prayers, that I look forward to knowing how you and your precious companions are doing, and to sharing your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Nov 16 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #83

moon_beam, thanks for your support and your comments. Mindy is doing better. She sneezes occasionally, about two times a day or so, but she is eating and drinking okay. I got her to go crazy chasing after a brand-new feather teaser. She loves these things and got some good exercise out of it. I just have to put it away in a safe place, because she will tear them apart. She is such a sweet little cat.

I found out that she like napping beside me on the couch when I watch a movie. She used to sit by the couch on the floor and I've often wondered why she doesn't jump on the couch, but I think she wants to be 'invited'. I picked her up one night and placed her on my lap, and then she laid down by my side. Last night I picked her up again, and she laid down to the left of me. I gently placed my left arm around her for some comfort, not knowing if she liked it or not. Oh, she loved it! smile.gif Mindy rested her head on my hand and enjoyed snuggling like this. She fell asleep like this and I saw her whiskers and hind paws twitch. She is such a loving little cat, very sweet and affectionate. And she is smart! Mindy just HAD to go in the little space between the dryer and the wall and she couldn't turn around to get back out. I told her to go backwards, and so she did and backed out of the tight space. I don't know she goes back there. I picked her up and hugged her after she came back out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Nov 16 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #84

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Mindy are doing. I am so glad she is doing better - - eating and drinking okay. I hope she continues to do well with her health, my friend. It is always worrisome when they are not feeling well.

Yes, sometimes our furkids want "permission" or as you so appropriately noted "invited" to join us where we are. I know how much your heart swells with joy with your precious Mindy snuggling close to you. To see her contented and happy in your love and care helps to make everything else somehow okay, too. And yes, your precious Mindy IS very smart - - to follow your encouragement to be able to back out of the space behind the dryer.

Your precious Mindy's experience reminds me of my beloved Eli and precious Noah, which I would like to share with you. To try to discourage my boys from getting behind the washer and dryer, I put a safety gate across the front of the space where the machines are here in the basement living quarters. Eli and Noah showed me this was no obstacle at all - - they jumped up on the top of the machines and then jumped down behind them. The dryer is easier to move, so a couple of times I had to move the dryer further away from the wall so that they had enough room to get out from behind them. A couple of times like that "cured" them of their fascination of jumping behind the machines. My beloved baby girl Abbygayle thought her brothers were totally dumb for doing this at all. She would sit in the middle of the floor while the "rescue" was in progress and then when they were both "free" she would look at them shaking her head as if to say "boys = dummies." I am so laughing as I'm remembering this. I hope your precious Mindy will soon realize there is nothing of interest behind the washer / dryer and lose interest in this activity - - if for no other reason than your peace of mind.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Mindy and Shelley kindly, my friend, and that you and your precious girls will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, DannysMom, and of your precious Mindy and Shelley. Please know you and your precious girls are in my thoughts and prayers, that I look forward to knowing how you and your precious companions are doing, and to sharing your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Dec 1 2012, 07:13 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 7,430

Hi DannysMom

I am sorry to hear Mindy has not been very well but am also happy to hear she is on the mend. It is always scary when our animals are ill as they are such strong creatures so they do not let on very often that there is anything wrong.

When it comes o feeding my cats I have to watch them eat.......which is not ideal as obviously other things need to be done but like Mindy if I do not watch them Fudge will nick his sisters food. Now Fudge is not over weight but it is not fair on Pixie so what I do is I feed Pixie and Ellie and then I make Fudge wait until they have eaten half of theirs and then I put his food in the bowl. He is getting quite good at waiting now but obviously it makes feeding time more time consuming for yourself.

I love to hear that she likes sitting next to you on the sofa now. She obviously was waiting for your approval and feels very comfortable with you now. Maybe it is where you helped her so much taking her to vets etc too she now loves you even more now then she did before smile.gif

How is the little one doing today?

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 1 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #86

Hello xxForeverxx, it is so good to hear from you again! smile.gif Mindy is doing much better. She still sneezes occasionally, but she is fine otherwise, eats and drinks normally. I still give her the L-Lysine treats to help with that flare-up of the herpes virus if that's what it was (the vet seemed to think so). The vet who examined her told me that she has four (yes, FOUR!) Tuxedo cats all from the same litter. That is so sweet!

Mindy was so good at the vet, quiet and allowed herself to be examined. I guess she is used to it from being handled and examined at the SPCA. She was so patient with the vet.

Mindy and Shelley had a little spat today. It all started when Mindy jumped on Shelley's back as she was resting on the perch by the window. Shelley let out a low growl to show she was not pleased, so Mindy jumped down. A little while after that Mindy jumped on Shelley's back again and tried to play chase with her. They rolled around and Shelley shrieked and got away. Mindy went right after her and grabbed her from behind with both paws. Shelley shrieked again and tried to get away. But they made up. They just have these little spats, but it's nothing major. They don't fight over who gets to sit where and they know I love them both so much.

Mindy talked quite a bit today. She makes these little screeches, and they sound so dignified and important. She definitely knows she is loved. Last night she jumped on the couch by herself to sit with me, but I was getting ready to get up and go to bed.

Today is a very pleasant day here, with a high about 60 and it is sunny and mild.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Dec 13 2012, 06:28 AM
Post #87

Hi DannysMom

I am glad to weather is lovely there at the moment. Its freezing here but I do not mind the frost on the trees and ground looks pretty.

I am glad to hear Mindy is doing better. Sounds like she is definitely feeling better herself they way she keeps trying to play with Shelley! Wow four from the same litter? There was four of Fudge and Pixie but my friend had already taken the other two. If they had not then I would have ended up with all four and it would have been great to keep them together.

Mindy has obviously learnt that the vets is where you go to get better so even though she hates leaving the comfort of her own home she wants to get better. It is so cute how she went to sit down with you but you needed to get up! its so typical isnt it. Mine do that just when I decide I need the toilet or to get a drink rolleyes.gif

Mindy sounds like a mischieveous little thing!

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 13 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #88

xxForeverxx, you are so right in saying that Mindy is mischievous! I did put up the Christmas tree on Sunday and she decided she wanted to chew on the fake needles. I told her no so many times, but every time I turned my back she would do it again. I think that she did it just to be stubborn as she does have a stubborn streak about her. Danny wasn't that way. He was always so well behaved and listened. Mindy wants to have it her own way. I snapped a picture of her under the tree which has become her new favorite spot in the evenings. I haven't observed Shelley under the tree yet. As I'm writing this Mindy and Shelley are having a little spat again. Shelley jumped on her back and bit her neck and Mindy didn't like that and started hissing. There is never a dull moment with these two girls! smile.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 21 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #89

I got a big shock when I came home this afternoon. There was Mindy, sitting on "Danny's" blanket. This is the first time I've observed her sitting there. I just had to smile at seeing "another Tux" on the blanket. I put the Christmas angel doll up there in remembrance of Danny. I've always put it there for him and I can't imagine not doing it. Mindy was so relaxed and comfy and I just had to snap some pictures of her. I can just imagine Danny smiling and feeling honored that Mindy is using "his" blanket.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Dec 22 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #90

Member No.: 6,946

That's adorable. It almost looks like she's thinking about Danny.

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 24 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #91

Tom's Dad, don't let her sweet face fool ya! Miss Mindy can be quite a little terror. I lost count of how many times she tried to snag ornaments from the tree (and succeeded a few times!). I thought about getting her a lump of coal for Christmas, but I love her so much and besides I have already bought her little present. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Dec 25 2012, 11:32 AM
Post #92

Member No.: 6,946

Maybe so. But it's still an adorable picture smile.gif

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Dec 26 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #93

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing, and this wonderful picture of your precious Mindy. It's almost as if Danny guided her to his blanket letting her know that it's okay. And what a wonderful picture of her underneath the tree. Ah yes - - I can see the glint in her eyes - - "let's see here, what can I get ahold of - - timing is of the essence - - when mom isn't looking." As exasperating as this may be for you, it will also be among your many treasured memories throughout your earthly journey together.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 29 2012, 12:13 PM
Post #94

Today is my 1 year anniversary with Miss Mindy. It was one year ago today that I met her at the SPCA and applied to adopt her. She was sooo tiny and she was scared when I held her. She hid her face in my coat and snuggled close. I noticed how silky soft her coat felt. She has the softest and silkiest coat, almost like a rabbit's fur. Mindy made me smile when my heart was so heavy. It felt so good holding this little tux girl and hearing her purr.

Mindy got her shots updated today. Her heart and lungs sound fine, no congestion. Sh did gain a bit more weight and is up to 11.9 pounds now, so I need to restrict her food a bit more and not leave so much in the morning before I head off for work. The vet said he wasn't too concerned with her weight as she is an indoor cat and still very young, but still it would be better for her to lose the extra weight, 2.5 pounds at least.

Mindy is happy to be back home. She did good at the vet and allowed them to handle her and was so quiet and gentle. She is my little angel! smile.gif Now she is happily napping by the window.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Dec 29 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #95

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Mindy are doing. CONGRATULATIONS on your and your precious Mindy's one year anniversary together. I am sooooo glad her check up went well. This is very good news indeed. I can imagine how glad she is to be back home - - no more poking and proding and sticking to endure - - just feeling the loving touch of her Forever Mom.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Dec 30 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #96

Hi DannysMom

I think they have now both laid on Dannys Blankets out of a mark of respect. And I think what better time to do it then now! She obviously felt a pull towards it and maybe it was a sign that Danny is ok where he is now. I love the fact that she tried to eat your tree! I made the mistake of having a real one this year again so pine needles everywhere!

Did Mindy enjoy Christmas?

I cannot believe it has been a year already. It is amazing how much she has grown both body and personality.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 30 2012, 02:27 PM
Post #97

xxForeverxx and moon_beam, thank you both for stopping by and for your comments. Mindy did so well at the vet. She was so patient. It's as if she knows that she is being helped there. Mindy did enjoy Christmas. She liked the Dean Martin christmas CD and the Kenny G christmas CDs. Those were Danny's favorites too. Both Mindy and Shelley enjoyed their toys I gave them and they were so good. This was our first Christmas together, so it will take some time to develop new traditions with my "girls".

xxForeverxx, it is nice that you got a real tree. I love the smell of the fresh pine needles! smile.gif Just please be careful that your cats don't eat the needles as they can cause real problems. And if you put an additive in the tree water, make sure the cats don't drink that either. I remember mom always used to put nitroglycerin in it or something like that. It's nice that you have that "extra" day in the UK, Boxing Day. Makes it nice to just relax and be with family and friends. I hope you had a nice Christmas as well. Did you get any snow? One of these days I'll have to hop over the pond and see the UK. There is just so much history there. I hope you'll have a great New Year's and that your fur kids won't be bothered much by the fireworks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Jan 2 2013, 07:16 AM
Post #98

Hi DannysMom

I am glad Mindy was OK at the vets. I think some cats do learn that they are there just to make sure they are OK. Did they find the music soothing? I bet they have been playing with their toys ever since......and wish it was Christmas all the time for new toys!

We have taken the tree down now. No chance of them drinking the water.......as we did not put any water in the base! rolleyes.gif Needless to say that is why there was so many pine needles on the floor by the end as the tree was dying! I kept them away from it as much a possible though although the fact that baubles were everywhere in our dining room was a sign that hey had played with it a couple of times. I want to get a massive fake one next year though as they do look just as good if not better.

No snow here yet. We actually usually get it around February time. We had one day in November but it was gone by the next day. We have just had lots of rain. Been quite bad flooding in some parts of the UK. We are quite lucky where we are as it does not food that much. You should definitely come visit the UK one day especially London. I bet it is a lot colder here then where you are though so I would be aware! laugh.gif

Our cats hated the fireworks but we snuggled up with them and they soon calmed down. How did your two little ones cope? I hope you had the best new year possible with the circumstances of course.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jan 2 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #99

Hi xxForeverxx,

thanks for stopping by! Yes, Mindy and Shelley found the Christmas music very soothing, and I'm so glad they liked it. Mindy really likes that ping-pong ball with the feather on top. She likes batting it around. Shelley has been playing with the catnip mouse like it is a real mouse. She throws it up in the air and catches it.

The fakes trees can be quite nice and life-like looking. Mine even has some wrapping around the trunk to make it look more like a real tree. It's got the multicolored lights and is 6 1/2 feet tall. I decorate with white and gold ornaments, and it's so nice to sit here in the evening and enjoy the lights. It's very comforting. I'll probably leave it up until Three Kings Day which is January 6. Curiously, Mindy and Shelley have been good with the tree in recent days.

I'm sorry to hear about all the flooding, but I'm glad it hasn't affected you that much. Our weather has been really mild, in the 40s and 50s during the days and in the 30s or just below at night. I hope it stays that way until Spring. Mindy and Shelley did just find New Year's Eve. They hardly noticed the few fireworks that we had. It's not allowed here in Virginia, but people drive across the state line to North Carolina and buy fireworks there. I think my two are waiting for Spring. They've been wanting to go out on the balcony to get some fresh air, even in this cold weather. I don't let them stay out too long, just a few minutes.

I was glad to leave 2012 behind. It felt like a big weight was lifted off my shoulders. I am looking forward to a good year with Mindy and Shelley.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jan 3 2013, 07:46 PM
Post #100

Tonight, 1 year ago, I brought Mindy home from the SPCA. I just couldn't wait to go and pick her up. She was still a bit groggy from her spay surgery, and she went about exploring, then she settled down in "Danny's" kitty condo, his favorite place in the evenings. I can't believe 1 year has already gone by for me and Miss Mindy. She is a little sweetheart and I love her dearly. In the first few months all she wanted to do was play, play, and play! She was so energetic and playful. Mindy quickly learned to stay out of Tina's way as my Tina didn't take very kindly to the newcomer and made her protest known.

Mindy was such a comfort to me. Sometimes she would lie down with me in bed early in the morning and she would touch my cheek with her paw when I cried. She would purr so loud and snuggle close to me. It's like she knew I was hurting so much and needed to be comforted.

Mind is continuing Tina's tradition of pawing the humidifier. Tina was fascinated by it and would often strike it with her paw. Mindy is no less fascinated by it and she voiced her appreciation of the humidified air that helps us breathe better. She is very smart, and I do think she understands what I'm telling her. I love my sweet little tux girl with the golden eyes! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:49 AM