Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Petunia's Life.
Cat'sMom
post Aug 1 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,196

I want to thank everyone for your kind words. You really helped me feel better about loosing Petunia.
Of course I still miss her, I expected her to die of old age not pass away at 8 years old.
Since some have expressed an interest in how Petunia came to live with me I've decided to
post her story.

I believe it was in 2003 when my roommate and best friend and I found Petunia. My roommate noticed her being tossed around by some young boys and decided that we were taking her in.
Of course I agreed, but I wanted to make sure nobody saw us take the kitten, in case she belonged to one of the boys. Though, I consider my animals family, they are property and I was afraid we’d get into trouble for stealing.
We went into the back yard where Petunia had taken refuge from the boys, and I scooped her up into a jacket I had brought along with me and we hurried back inside. Originally Petunia was my friends cat, she was the one who named her Petunia. Inspired by the Harry Potter character but named after the flower instead.

My friend originally thought Petunia might be the runt of the litter, though she did grow to be the size of my other female cat Patchabie. We nicknamed her Nubbin, which means imperfect ear of corn. That’s what farmers call tiny corn and the nickname just stuck. It took a while, but Petunia learned to tolerate my other cats, Severus and Sam, though she hissed at Severus during their first meeting. She also learned to tolerate Patchabie when we took her in sometime later. (I’ve had a lot of strays in my time). We considered trying to find her another home, but our vet at the time convinced us to keep her. We noticed she had a habit of trying to nurse off of our shirts, usually on an arm while she was lying on our lap. Our vet said perhaps she had been weaned too soon.

She never really outgrew this, and would do it when she felt comfortable on my lap. After the death of my friend, due to her heart problem in 2004, I decided to keep Petunia. I had an offer from someone who went to college with my friend, who would have taken Petunia off my hands, but she was a nervous cat and only trusted my friend and I. I couldn't’ give her to anyone else knowing she’d be terrified. She moved 4 times with me and even survived a fire in one of my apartments, luckily all my animals survived that. One of the funniest memories of Petunia was when my friend and I put up a Christmas tree for the first time we were living together. My friend was searching everywhere for Petunia and asked if I’d seen her. Just then I noticed this little face peeking out from the branches of the tree.

She loved to curl up inside boxes and bags. Her favorite toy to play with, if she could snag one out of the package, was a q tip. She also had a fetish for chewing on fingernail files and buffers, after I’d used them. She liked the taste of my nails, and would actually go through my bag to find a nail file I’d recently used.

Petunia discovered on her own, how to drink from the faucets and would demand drinks from either the tub or the sink in the bathroom. Usually following me into the bathroom and hopping into the tub to wait for me to turn on the water. If I was in the tub, she’d go to the sink. Petunia would vibrate the base of her tail and squinch up her eyes as a greeting to me. She was also my computer buddy, choosing to nap on top of the monitor while it was on. Sometimes she’d dangle a paw in front of the screen that I’d have to move.

She would cry at my bedroom door, to get my attention, while I was on the computer in the livingroom. She’d be looking over her shoulder waiting for me to call her over for attention. I could get her to sit up on her back legs by wiggling my fingers over her head. She also enjoyed sleeping underneath her cat beds. Petunia would cry at my door when I went to bed, she wanted me to stay up with her.
I never got angry at her, because she usually settled down after I got up and went to the door once.
She was a lot of company, and the apartment is quiet without her here. Even with my other cats Severus Patchabie and my new kitten Daisy. No cat will ever be quite like Petunia.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 1 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #2

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

"No cat will ever be quite like Petunia."

Hi, Cat's Mom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing and the lovely life you and your precious Petunia shared. I know it is heartbreaking to not have your beloved Petunia physically with you, and I know first hand it is especially heartbreaking when this happens at a young age. Each of our beloved companions have their own special place in our hearts because of our individual relationships with them.

Thank you so much for privilege of sharing your beloved Petunia's life with us. I hope today is being kind to you, and each of your precious kitty kids. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, Cat's Mom, and look forward to knowing how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
kaylasmom
post Aug 1 2011, 07:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,099

Hi catsmom,

My Kayla would do the hind leg walk too. My son called it "circus cat".

I'm so sorry for your loss of Petunia. It's always hard to say goodbye to a piece of yourself. I'm not the most articulate person when it comes to these things but please know you are among friends here on LS. We are all here for the same reason and while ours stories may be different we all have experienced the gut wrenching, soul rending pain of loss.

Shelby

+Quote Post
Gretta's Mom
post Aug 2 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,067

Hello Petunia's mom

What a wonderful story of Ms Petunia! A terrible beginning, rescued by a wonderful pair, making a cat-family with three other lovely - lively - cats, the most wonderful mom(s) in the world. It's amazing how many of us are called to create a good, happy life for an fur baby whose beginning was pretty bad. It's another testament to the power of love. I'm sorry about the passing of Petunia and for the passing of your friend along the way. That's a lot of loss for one person to bear. I wish you peace and happiness as your family reforms.

Sleep tight everyone,

Gretta's mom

+Quote Post
raerae777
post Aug 2 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,183

Hi Cat's Mom,

I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry for your loss of sweet Petunia. What a cute name! It sounds like she was a very happy kitty and loved her mama very much. I'm also very sorry for your friend's passing. I cannot imagine how you are feeling now. I'm glad you are able to share some of Petunia's life stories and look forward to reading more about her.

I hope tonight is peaceful for you and that you find comfort in knowing that Petunia is always with you. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Much love.

Cinder's Mama

--------------------
"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Gretta's Mom
post Aug 3 2011, 06:56 AM
Post #6

Hi Cat's Mom

It's a new day - a day for Ms Petunia to look down from the Perfect World and love and take care of you and your family just as she did when she was on this earth. My vet, the best ever, said the most wonderful thing to me after my Gretta (the kindest chocolate lab who ever lived) passed last April. "She's in a safe place now." And she is - and so is Petunia - and so are all our spirit animals who have gone before us. They've made it! We're still struggling to live a life worthy of their love.

have a blessed day, Cat's Mom.

Gretta's Mom

+Quote Post
Cat'sMom
post Aug 12 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,196

I hope the picture of Petunia comes out halfway decent. I still miss her terribly, though it's getting slightly easier.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gretta's Mom
post Aug 13 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #8

Hello Cat's Mom

What a darling picture of Ms Petunia politely asking for her dinner! I hope your heart is healing a tiny bit. It's four months and three days since my Gretta went to heaven. Rufus (my new "son" who turns out to be a Labrland - or Newfador) and I are doing well. Even so, I still miss Gretta every day - many days with a tear or two. I think this will be the "as long as I'm alive" state of my heart. The shotgun effect is over and it seems like the acid poured over my heart has diminished. Even the concrete brick has lightened. What's left is the sadness - I can live with that.

Your Petunia lives on both in the Perfect World and here on earth in your heart. Someday we WILL be reunited.

Take care my friend.

Gretta and Rufus's mom

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 13 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #9

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, cat's mom, thank you so very much for letting us know how you're doing and for sharing this wonderful picture of your beloved Petunia with us. She is a sweetie - - how very blessed you are to be her eternal forever mom.

This grief journey can only be traveled one day at a time, cat's mom, and sometimes it feels like we're making no progress at all in our adjustment journey. I'm glad you are beginning to find some peace in your heart, and I hope you will continue to feel this grow stronger one day at a time.

Cat's mom, I hope today is being kind to you, and that you will have a peaceful evening. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and look forward to knowing how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Petunia
post Aug 30 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,243

Oh what a beautiful girl! I'm so sorry for the loss of your cat, she sounds like she was a wonderful kitty and was grateful to you for saving her.

--------------------
Missing my little kitty Wicket 9/1/04 - 8/25/11 - Lost to CRF as a result of a birth defect
Missing my baby kitty Smokey 5/1/93 - 5/18/2012 - Lost to CRF

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:00 AM