Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies
> Lost My Best Friend Today, Simba's Story
Simba's Daddy
post Jul 29 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 1,899

Hello,

I been browsing this forum for a couple of weeks now knowing I would need it soon. Today this time has come...

I had to make the very hard and painful decision today (July 28th) to put my best friend to sleep. Simba, my best friend, just turned only 9 years old last month. It seems like only yesterday my sister-in-law's cat had kittens. I remember we used to joke about how fat her cat was when she was pregnant. Then one day she just got skinny! So we spent hours trying to find out where she had her kittens. I went into the garage and climb the rafters to find them in there. How she got up there I have no idea but she did.

As I was getting them and handing them down to my brother, Simba picked me. He grabbed my shirt with his paw and wouldn't let go as to say "Hey, hang onto me and pet me!" Right away I noticed he had an extra toe on each paw which I thought was way cool because that was the first time I ever seen that. So right away I told my sister-in-law that he was going to be mine. I mentioned how he looked like the Lion King and then we all just started calling him Simba.

A couple days later I was sleeping on my brothers couch and Simba got out of the box the kittens were being kept in and crawled under my covers and onto my chest and layed down and slept the whole night with me. There was other people in the room too (a small sleep over party) but Simba managed to find me and sleep with me.

Then Simba was ready to come home with me. On the way home in the car he again, climbed up on my chest and layed there while I drove home. I had to sneak him in my apartment because there was a no pet rule. The next day I started looking for a new apartment that allowed pets. Of course the landlord spotted Simba peaking out my windows during the day. So I was repeadedly threatened with eviction. Just as my lease expired (they said they would not renew until I got rid of Simba) I found a new apartment the very same day. It was even cheaper and alot nicer and allowed pets.

So now me and Simba were living in our new apartment together. I remember I used to come home from work after a bad day and he would jump up and lay on my chest as usual to show his support. I would come home from a bad date and he would jump up and look at me as to say "Hey, don't worry, I got your back!"

He even drove from Michigan to California and back with me. Sat right in the front seat with no complaints... not even one "Are we there yet?"

We eventually moved into a house on an acre lot. I cut the grass with a push mower so it would take me about 30 mintues to do the front and he would sit in the front window watching me the whole time... no matter how long it took he sat there so I could see him watching me.

The past month or so I started to notice that Simba was eating alot less and not as active as he used to be. I noticed he started getting skin bumps growing out of his skin and they were growing so fast. When I took him to the Vet, 3 weeks ago, his weight was 8 pounds lighter than the last time he was there a year ago. The Vet told me that it was most likely cancer and not much could be done but to let him be until his quality of life deminished. It hit me like a brick wall at 100 m.p.h. that the best friend I ever had was going to die soon.

As the days went on it got harder to watch him decline and it started to become very clear that he was in pain and was suffering. This morning I watched him try to get up and go to his litter box while his back legs kept giving out on him and he kept falling over. I then noticed that his food bowl went the 3rd night without even being touched.

When I took him to the Vet he weighed in at a mere 8 pounds, still losing weight like crazy. X-rays showed that his liver and stomach was enlarged and out of place and his skin bumps had spread to his lungs. This would explain the heavy breathing the past day or two. I also knew Simba was ready to go because he always fought with the Vets and tried to bite anyone that touched him. Today he was a little fiesty but pretty much just let everyone do what the needed to him, not even trying to bite anyone at all.

It hurt so much to tell the Vet to lets go ahead with the Euthanasia but knew it was the final act of love I could give my best buddy to end his pain and suffering. He would have starved himself to death in another week or so and I just couldn't let that happen.

When they started the process it was like he knew what was going on and layed down on his own. He then looked up at me and his eyes never left mine. As the Vet started the injection I told him "Thank you for being my best friend and I love you very much." At the same time I kept petting his head and scratching his ears, he always loved his ears scratched. I was relieved to see how quick and painless it was. It was pretty much over before the whole dose was injected.

I'm having Simba privately creamated and will keep him by me always. Seems only fitting since he was with me from the day he was born until the day he passed on.

I caught myself a few times today going into my bedroom where he was staying most of the time for the past month to visit with him. Takes a few seconds to realize that he isn't there anymore or anywhere in the house. It's an empty feeling we all know. I am hurting but at the same time relieved knowing that he is no longer suffering. I think I lost about 10 pounds myself these past few weeks worrying about him.

Will I ever get another cat? I definately will. Simba gave me a gift and that was showing me how great it can be to love an animal and be loved back so much. I definately want to continue this by adopting another cat from a shelter and giving it a great home that it might have never gotten without me.

I was going to wait a week or so to adopt another cat but for some reason I was compelled to look at a website for the local shelters in my area. To my amazement there were about 900 cats shown and the very first one is a 1 year old cat named Simba. I know all cats are different and have their own personalities and no two are the same but I couldn't believe the coincidence. I contacted the shelter and the cat was just put up on the site today, of all days. The foster person told me that she always changes the names of the cats when she gets them but for some reason she decided not to change this cats name and keep Simba as his name. Maybe my cat Simba helped me get the strength to help him end his suffering today so I could also help a fellow cat that needed a home and couldn't wait much longer.

I am meeting with the foster caregivers and Simba Sunday.

Sorry for the long post, makes me feel better talking/typing about Simba smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Shortrish
post Jul 29 2006, 09:55 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,848

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL STORY ABOUT YOUR LIFE WITH SIMBA. YOU TRULY LOVED HIM AND HE TRULY LOVED YOU. TALK ABOUT LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. YOU GAVE HIM PEACE, AND HE WILL BE IN YOUR HEART FOREVER. I AM GLAD THAT YOU HAVE FOUND ANOTHER FURBABY TO HOPEFULLY BRING HOME AND LOVE. I TRULY BELIEVE THAT YOUR SIMBA, SENT THIS NEW FURBABY FOR YOU TO SEE. LET ME KNOW HOW THAT ALL WORKS OUT. PLEASE WRITE AND LET US ALL KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING.

+Quote Post
ravenkiddy
post Jul 29 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,843

I am so very sorry about Simba. You have such a wounderful story of the 2 of you. I am glad you were able to pass what Simba has taught you to another.

Michelle

--------------------
"IF LOVE COULD HAVE SAVED YOU, YOU WOULD HAVE LIVED FOREVER"

My sweet baby boy

+Quote Post
My Cat Scooter
post Jul 29 2006, 11:04 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,884

He sounded like a real cool cat. He also sounded like he obviously wanted you to be his master right from the start. I am so sorry it was cut short, but you will always remember those 9 great years for sure.

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Jul 29 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #5

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 245

Dear Simba's daddy:

What a beautiful, wonderful story about the true love that you and your beloved boy Simba wub.gif had for one another wub.gif !!

It hurt so much to tell the Vet to lets go ahead with the Euthanasia but knew it was the final act of love I could give my best buddy to end his pain and suffering. He would have starved himself to death in another week or so and I just couldn't let that happen.

God Bless You for giving Simba the gift of peace -- very hard to do, but it really is a wonderful thing we can do for our kids.

Feel free to come here as often as you like and talk about your boy Simba, whenever you'd like.

Maybe my cat Simba helped me get the strength to help him end his suffering today so I could also help a fellow cat that needed a home and couldn't wait much longer.

I have all the belief in the world in your quote......

Please let us know how everything works out when you meet up with the foster caregivers of Simba wub.gif .

Peace & Love to you and yours,

Denise

--------------------
Our Beloved Girl, Ernestine (AKA) "Ernie-Bird"
April, 1984 - February 7, 2004
***AFFA***
Forever, you will ALWAYS live on in our hearts!
DEPARTED FROM EARTH, NEVER FORGOTTEN.... Love, Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post
Simba's Daddy
post Jul 29 2006, 03:27 PM
Post #6

What a great forum. Thank you for the replies and words of comfort, it really helps alot. Today I been cleaning the house and doing other chores to keep busy to help pass the time. I cut the front grass today and it pretty sad to look at the big picture window and see just an empty window ledge. As I kept looking up as I came by the window a part of me was hoping to see my buddy sitting there watching me as I had been so used to over the past years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RIT & Cleo
post Jul 29 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,900

Thanks so much for sharing your story about Simba. What a great cat and what a great Dad he had in you.

Our stories are similar...and our cats passed on the same day. Perhaps they met each other on the Rainbow bridge smile.gif Or for sure we both know at peace after a long illness.

I understand and feel your grief. I also admire your thinking about helping another cat get a great home soon.

Take care.

RIT

--------------------
Cleo
Passed on 7/28/06
after 18 full years

Cleo's Story

Cleo's new little sister Ginger

+Quote Post
5catsmom
post Jul 30 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,278

Simba's Daddy,
That was a beautiful story you told about Simba and his life and times. You have some great memories of him to live with forever - 2 buddies living good productive lives together and there's a touch of the supernatural in there too, making it all the more a wonderful story you've shared with us. Thank you.

I applaud your decision to take in another cat to save. Some people may think it's too soon, but your heart will guide you and whether it's the other Simba or not, you seem to be a great cat person with so much to give. I always laugh when I hear people mention that men don't care for cats that much - my husband was like that till we got our Kimi, and he is an absolute fool over her. A lovable fool, but he goes all ga-ga over her, and even though she was supposed to be my cat, she's become his baby now. I'm just the Food Lady now.

It can be heartbreaking to read some of the posts on this board. I know you're missing your Simba terribly, but reading his story was heartwarming, and an absolutely wonderful and honorable tribute to him. And to continue to honor him with another needy soul is such an admirable thing to do - cats are never the same but you will find new and wonderful traits to love about your new baby. Please let us know how it goes with you - you're a terrifically descriptive writer and I look forward to hearing about your new adventures.

With great sympathy - Take care - Barbara

+Quote Post
Simba's Daddy
post Jul 30 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #9

Barbara,

Thank you for your nice words smile.gif
I know what you mean about how alot of people think men don't like cats. I always laugh when I am at the pet store and get funny looks from people when I buy cat food, litter, and toys. One woman even looked at me surprised and asked "YOU have a cat?" I just reply with "Well I'm sure not going to eat this stuff!"

It still hurts when I think about Simba and sure it will for quite a while.

Also, just as you replied I posted about my new buddy smile.gif

http://lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3020

--------------------

+Quote Post
TannerSmith
post Jul 30 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,876

Thank you for sharing those magical moments that happened between you and Simba. It made me smile to think of that small kitten climbing up on you as you drove home. My son lost his special cat a week ago and we have all been mourning her. I had forgotten how much of a hole an animal leaves when they die. Mercifully, the heart wrenching pain is starting to lessen the tiniest bit. I think the post that is pinned to the top of this forum by Buddy Ferret's owner was absolutely perfect. There is so much to process, but eventually there is room for another special animal even though there will never be another Simba like your first Simba.

My heart goes out to you. Please keep us appraised on your new possible adoption.
Karen

+Quote Post
Ken Albin
post Aug 1 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 854

Those special moments we spend with our furkids make everything worthwhile, doesn't it? Please let us know how the new adoption goes. Each new adoptee brings their own special qualities into a relationship. Try not to judge the new cat by your memories of Simba but by their own unique qualities that you will discover over the next months. After Daddy Cat died we went out and adopted a father and son, Velvet and Beau. I did this originally because Velvet had a quiet nature similar to Daddy Cat. I found out quickly that Velvet was nothing like Daddy Cat. Then I realized that in his own way Velvet and Beau were both very special furkids with their own delightful personalities. It made me realize what I should have known all along. Daddy Cat could never be replaced. Instead I've found two new treasures to cherish and I am learning a lot from them about humor, acceptance, and a shy type of love.

All the best,
Ken Albin

--------------------

Daddy Cat left this world at the age of 17. His tribute page is at Daddy Cat's Tribute Page

+Quote Post
Simba's Daddy
post Aug 1 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #12

Ken,

I was just at your website reading the story about Daddy Cat when I got this reply. What a nice story! The new adoption of Simba II is going great, he is a great and "different" cat smile.gif

Here is the story of Simba II so far:
http://lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3020

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ken Albin
post Aug 1 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 854

It is so nice to hear of your wonderful start! I wish you both the best as you get to know each other. Give Simba II a chin scritch for me. What an adorable cat!

--------------------

Daddy Cat left this world at the age of 17. His tribute page is at Daddy Cat's Tribute Page

+Quote Post
slbrock59
post Aug 11 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 25

What a wonderful story. Simba was like our Garfield in many ways. Garfield also had the extra toes, was with us from day one to day last, and was orange. His loss a year ago was and is hard to bear.
Guys love cats too. I've had cats for over 40 years.
Best of luck with Simba II. All those similiarities with Simba were no coincidence. It was meant to be. May you and Simba II have a long and happy life together.
Steve

--------------------
You left paw prints on our hearts.

+Quote Post
QuakerParrot
post Aug 11 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 490

Thanks for sharing your story smile.gif It made me cry but that's OK.. I'm used to that by now! Wish my husband liked cats but he doesn't sad.gif He simply "tolerates" them because I'm always dragging a poor, pathetic one home. I have 6 now. Ouch smile.gif Good luck to you and your new friend... I hope the two of you share MANY MANY years together!

--------------------
Dexter, you will forever be in my heart. I've missed you everyday since you were taken from me on August 17th, 2004 but we will meet again.

God said: "What you do unto the least of Mine, so you have done unto Me."

Heaven is by favor; if it were by merit your dog would go in and you would stay out.  Of all the creatures ever made [man] is the most detestable.  Of the entire brood, he is the only one... that possesses malice.  He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.  ~Mark Twain

Please, help Dr. Branson Ritchie fight PDD!! If you have even a dollar or two, or just some spare time to donate, go to The Stop PDD Website and help us end this killer! The bird you save might be your own!

+Quote Post
ccheyssial
post Aug 11 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,811

What a beautiful posting and a beautiful kitty. My cat lost his fight with cancer just over a month ago. I know how painful it is knowing that their health is declining but not wanting to lose them. I asked myself also if I can ever adopt again because the pain is too much, but I know I will. I will because I need to have that unconditional love and I need to love right back. I have another 14 year old cat and I'm making sure that she knows she's loved and that I enjoy her company while I've got her. I'm glad you found this website because it does help to post. I always cry when I come to this website but it is a good thing because it helps us process the grief. You seem like a great daddy and it sounds like Simba had a wonderful life.

Take good care of yourself.

Chestnut's mommy (Catherine)

+Quote Post
openhearted87
post Aug 20 2008, 03:56 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 4,836

QUOTE (Simba's Daddy @ Jul 29 2006, 02:44 AM) *
Hello,

I been browsing this forum for a couple of weeks now knowing I would need it soon. Today this time has come...

I had to make the very hard and painful decision today (July 28th) to put my best friend to sleep. Simba, my best friend, just turned only 9 years old last month. It seems like only yesterday my sister-in-law's cat had kittens. I remember we used to joke about how fat her cat was when she was pregnant. Then one day she just got skinny! So we spent hours trying to find out where she had her kittens. I went into the garage and climb the rafters to find them in there. How she got up there I have no idea but she did.

As I was getting them and handing them down to my brother, Simba picked me. He grabbed my shirt with his paw and wouldn't let go as to say "Hey, hang onto me and pet me!" Right away I noticed he had an extra toe on each paw which I thought was way cool because that was the first time I ever seen that. So right away I told my sister-in-law that he was going to be mine. I mentioned how he looked like the Lion King and then we all just started calling him Simba.

A couple days later I was sleeping on my brothers couch and Simba got out of the box the kittens were being kept in and crawled under my covers and onto my chest and layed down and slept the whole night with me. There was other people in the room too (a small sleep over party) but Simba managed to find me and sleep with me.

Then Simba was ready to come home with me. On the way home in the car he again, climbed up on my chest and layed there while I drove home. I had to sneak him in my apartment because there was a no pet rule. The next day I started looking for a new apartment that allowed pets. Of course the landlord spotted Simba peaking out my windows during the day. So I was repeadedly threatened with eviction. Just as my lease expired (they said they would not renew until I got rid of Simba) I found a new apartment the very same day. It was even cheaper and alot nicer and allowed pets.

So now me and Simba were living in our new apartment together. I remember I used to come home from work after a bad day and he would jump up and lay on my chest as usual to show his support. I would come home from a bad date and he would jump up and look at me as to say "Hey, don't worry, I got your back!"

He even drove from Michigan to California and back with me. Sat right in the front seat with no complaints... not even one "Are we there yet?"

We eventually moved into a house on an acre lot. I cut the grass with a push mower so it would take me about 30 mintues to do the front and he would sit in the front window watching me the whole time... no matter how long it took he sat there so I could see him watching me.

The past month or so I started to notice that Simba was eating alot less and not as active as he used to be. I noticed he started getting skin bumps growing out of his skin and they were growing so fast. When I took him to the Vet, 3 weeks ago, his weight was 8 pounds lighter than the last time he was there a year ago. The Vet told me that it was most likely cancer and not much could be done but to let him be until his quality of life deminished. It hit me like a brick wall at 100 m.p.h. that the best friend I ever had was going to die soon.

As the days went on it got harder to watch him decline and it started to become very clear that he was in pain and was suffering. This morning I watched him try to get up and go to his litter box while his back legs kept giving out on him and he kept falling over. I then noticed that his food bowl went the 3rd night without even being touched.

When I took him to the Vet he weighed in at a mere 8 pounds, still losing weight like crazy. X-rays showed that his liver and stomach was enlarged and out of place and his skin bumps had spread to his lungs. This would explain the heavy breathing the past day or two. I also knew Simba was ready to go because he always fought with the Vets and tried to bite anyone that touched him. Today he was a little fiesty but pretty much just let everyone do what the needed to him, not even trying to bite anyone at all.

When they started the process it was like he knew what was going on and layed down on his own. He then looked up at me and his eyes never left mine. As the Vet started the injection I told him "Thank you for being my best friend and I love you very much." At the same time I kept petting his head and scratching his ears, he always loved his ears scratched. I was relieved to see how quick and painless it was. It was pretty much over before the whole dose was injected.

I'm having Simba privately creamated and will keep him by me always. Seems only fitting since he was with me from the day he was born until the day he passed on.

I caught myself a few times today going into my bedroom where he was staying most of the time for the past month to visit with him. Takes a few seconds to realize that he isn't there anymore or anywhere in the house. It's an empty feeling we all know. I am hurting but at the same time relieved knowing that he is no longer suffering. I think I lost about 10 pounds myself these past few weeks worrying about him.

Will I ever get another cat? I definately will. Simba gave me a gift and that was showing me how great it can be to love an animal and be loved back so much. I definately want to continue this by adopting another cat from a shelter and giving it a great home that it might have never gotten without me.

I was going to wait a week or so to adopt another cat but for some reason I was compelled to look at a website for the local shelters in my area. To my amazement there were about 900 cats shown and the very first one is a 1 year old cat named Simba. I know all cats are different and have their own personalities and no two are the same but I couldn't believe the coincidence. I contacted the shelter and the cat was just put up on the site today, of all days. The foster person told me that she always changes the names of the cats when she gets them but for some reason she decided not to change this cats name and keep Simba as his name. Maybe my cat Simba helped me get the strength to help him end his suffering today so I could also help a fellow cat that needed a home and couldn't wait much longer.

I am meeting with the foster caregivers and Simba Sunday.

Sorry for the long post, makes me feel better talking/typing about Simba smile.gif

that is so beautiful that angel simba lead you to simba. they are with us always, giving us signs when they can. did you adopt simba? im sorry for your loss.our hearts are with you.

with love corina and her angels

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:47 PM