11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shelley, a loving 'mommie' Calico
xxForeverxx
post Jul 16 2012, 05:56 AM
Post #61

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,430

Tom's Dad that made me giggle that song does always remind me of our lil fur babies for some reason even though the point of it is no relation to our cats!

I hope your AC works soon DannysMom. In all honesty I do not know what it feels like to be baking in your own house as in England we do not exactly need AC in our houses as it's always too cold! Can not be nice though so I hope they get it sorted for you and Mindy and Shelley too.

Do not feel bad about not noticing the worms before. They are so hard to spot and cats do not always show symptoms straight away. At least you saw it and sorted it though and I am sure Shelley is so grateful for that. How great it must feel to have her sit with you for a stroke and purr away.......how rewarding. See you just have so much love to give and they are showing you just how good of mummy you are being.

I look forward to hearing what's happening next in the household of DannysMom smile.gif

xxForeverxx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jul 21 2012, 01:34 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 7,464

xxForeverxx, thanks so much for stopping by! My AC is working fine now, but we were really baking for a few days. The portable unit just basically cooled off one room. It must be nice not needing air conditioning, but then again, yes, I've heard that how it's always too cold in England.

Shelley is doing so much better now that the tapeworm is gone. Her fur is shinier and softer. She is still a "nervous Nellie" though, always so active and restless. Mindy is more laid back and calmer. Early this morning I woke up to find Shelley curled up beside me. She was so happy to see me awake that she started licking my hand. Then she sat on my chest and purred. It reminded me so much of Tina that I started crying, and then she moved off my chest and snuggled up so close to my chest, just like Tina had always done. For a minute there it felt like having Tina back.

Here is a photo of my girls sharing a window
Attached Image

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Jul 22 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #63

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you, your precious baby girl Miss Shelley, and little Mindy are doing. I am so glad both your girls are doing so well, and that your precious Miss Shelley is becoming a loving companion through each day. And thank you for sharing this wonderful picture of your precious girls looking out the window together. Miss Shelley's expression looks like "did you see THAT???"

I hope today is treating you and your precious girls kindly, DannysMom, and that each of you will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, and of your precious Miss Shelley and little Mindy. Please know you and your precious girls are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to sharing your news and your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Jul 28 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #64

Hi DannysMom

moon_beam is right with what it looks like Shelley is saying. Another lovely picture.

You say Shelley moved to your chest though and still stayed there curled up purring........shows just how much she understands why you are crying and is there for you to hug when you want to. Tina was a massive part of your life and you should never feel bad for crying when one reminds you of Tina or even Danny too of course. It shows you cared and still care and you miss them. Shelley patiently waited as if to say I am here for you which is lovely as well.

Looking forward to the next picture.

I hope you are ok today DannysMom

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jul 28 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #65

xxForeverxx, thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words. Glad you liked the picture, and yes, Shelley does have that look on her face, but she always looks like that! smile.gif I guess I felt bad for crying because I don't want Shelley to think I don't like her. But she seems to know why I'm crying. She was all over my lap a few days ago when I was having a tough time, just comforting me.

xxForeverxx, this picture's especially for you. smile.gif

Help, I need somebody,
Help, not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone, help.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 10 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #66

I should have changed the caption on the last photo to "Oh no, M-o-o-o-m! Not the nail clippers!" smile.gif
I trimmed Shelley's nails for the first time recently and she was so skittish about it. She tried to bolt several times, and I had to reassure her that it wasn't going to hurt. Still, I am surprised that she let me do it at all. Tina NEVER let me trim her nails. She freaked out when I even tried to touch her paw.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 11 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #67

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing and these wonderful pictures of your precious Miss Shelley. Nail trimming is not one of Noah's favorite activities either. I'm thinking of investing in a kitty pouch I have seen where one paw comes through an opening with the rest of the body remaining inside the pouch - - supposed to help make nail trimming easier. Hmmm - -

I hope today is treating you, your precious Miss Shelley and Mindy kindly, DannysMom, and that each of you will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, and of your precious Miss Shelley and Mindy. Please know you and your precious girls are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to sharing your news and your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Aug 21 2012, 01:21 PM
Post #68

Haha excellent laugh.gif Wow reading your posts really are cheering me up. Definately looks like she is going noooooo mooommm! lol

I think Ellie would let me cut her claws but I do not think the other two would as they tend to flinch when I touch their paws. Is it hard to cut them as I have never done it myself before? I always get the vets to do the rabbits.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 22 2012, 06:38 PM
Post #69

xxForeverxx, glad that it made you laugh! smile.gif Here is a cute picture of Shelley, curled up so peacefully. You can see her pretty markings. I love this photo as it really shows her gentle nature. Shelley doesn't mind being picked up and held for a quick cuddle.

It isn't hard trimming a cat's nails. The best thing to do is to hold them in your lap while sitting down on the floor, and then you gently take a paw and gently squeeze it so that the claws will come out. Then, you just cut a bit off each claw. Be careful not to cut too much as you can cut the quick. Giving them a treat afterwards helps too. Mindy is much better at getting her nails trimmed than Shelley.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Sep 5 2012, 07:00 AM
Post #70

It is never something I have thought about doing as they have their scratching posts. But Fudge did snap one of his earlier this year as it was bleeding and to start with I thought it was scrapping with Ellie as it was when we had first got her but then a snapped nail must of been because it was too long. How often do you do yours?

She really has a beautiful mix of colours.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Sep 7 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #71

QUOTE (xxForeverxx @ Sep 5 2012, 08:00 AM) *
It is never something I have thought about doing as they have their scratching posts. But Fudge did snap one of his earlier this year as it was bleeding and to start with I thought it was scrapping with Ellie as it was when we had first got her but then a snapped nail must of been because it was too long. How often do you do yours?

She really has a beautiful mix of colours.

xxForeverxx

xxForeverxx, thank you for commenting and saying that Shelley has a beautiful mix of colors. She is indeed a real pretty calico girl, and I love looking at her markings. I usually trim Mindy's nails once a month so that she doesn't develop ingrown nails on her extra toes. I think once a month should be fine for the nail trimming. They do shed their claws every once in a while which is quite normal, just like they lose their whiskers and grow new ones.

Shelley has been very rambunctious the past few days, playing more aggressively with Mindy. She will jump on Mindy's back and hold her down and "bite" the side of her neck. Mindy is not amused and growls and hisses. She does not like being the "underdog" in a play fight. But she doesn't hold a grudge and still comes back to Shelley and grooms her. I guess Mindy wants to be the dominant cat since she was here first.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Sep 23 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #72

Miss Shelley is slowly becoming more of a lap cat. Yesterday, she sat on my lap twice, and she stayed even longer the second time. She put her front paws on my chest and looked up at me so adoringly. She licked my hand and she stretched herself out and enjoyed being petted. She doesn't stay very long, because she is so active and restless, but she does enjoy being with me. She tried to "help" me change the linens, but that didn't work out so well as she tries to grab and play with the sheets.

I trimmed her nails again and she did real good this time and allowed me to handle her paws. I think she trusted me more after having seen it done on Mindy who held still. Shelley's been with me now for over 4 months and I've grown so fond of her and love seeing her colorful little face every day. She is such a sweet and gentle cat, and truly a gift from above.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Sep 23 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #73

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you, your precious Miss Shelley and little Mindy are doing. It sounds like your little Miss Shelley knows she has found her Forever Home with you - - her Forever Mom. While there is usually the "love at first sight" heart bond that happens when we see our companions for the first time, it is only the beginning of an ongoing continual mutual bonding of trust and love that is for all eternity - - for love is a living, growing, nurturing bond that transcends the physical laws of time and space. I know your beloved Tina and Danny are so happy to see your heart loved and nurtured by your precious Miss Shelley and little Mindy.

I hope today is treating you and your precious girls kindly, DannysMom, and that each of you will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, and of your precious Miss Shelley and Mindy. Please know you and your precious girls are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to sharing your news and your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Sep 26 2012, 06:58 AM
Post #74

Hi DannysMom

I definately agree with Mindy wanted to be the dominant one as she was there first. When we first got Ellie, Ellie would viciously attack Fudge and Pixie but after we slowly got them to get along the tables have now turned. Ellie will lick Fudge and Pixie all the time but neither of them will lick her.......she also will no longer try and play fight with Pixie only Fudge. So I think Ellie knows now that especially with Pixie, she was there first so she is the dominant one.

I bet she will become a great lap cat one day. I think it just takes time sometimes. Fudge and Pixie never used to be.....I sometimes wonder whether it was because I was so obsessed with Chewy and Chewy being with me all the time. And then bringing Ellie in interrupted as well but now they are both so affectionate and always sit with us for ages.

So funny when they "try" and help you do the housework. Mine still play with my feet at night if they move under the cover......much to my amusement. Do yours do that? I am glad that you are enjoying your time with Shelley. She was sent to you for a reason and it seems she is fulfilling the role very well. A great cat for a great person.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Sep 28 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #75

Moon_beam, yes Shelley is definitely a "keeper"! smile.gif

xxForeverxx, it's good to hear from you! That is so funny how Ellie will groom Pixie and Fudge but they don't groom her back. Maybe Ellie picks fights with Fudge because he's more laid back than Pixie? That is so sweet how Fudge and Pixie have become lap cats. Tuxedos usually are very loving and affectionate cats. Shelley also does attack my feet under the covers if I move at night. Mindy could care less. She just wants to continue her nap with me. Almost every night I find both of them snuggled up against my legs.

Last night Shelley was there first and later on Mindy joined us and first groomed Shelley and wrestled with her before snuggling right beside her.

Shelley and I have become good at conversing with each other. She'll make a sound and then I imitate it. Then she'll make another sound and I imitate it. This continues for a while, and she seems to enjoy "talking" to me. It's mostly sounds of "Wraa" and "Urr". Sometimes she stretches out on the floor and lets me gently rub her tummy. She looks so cute all stretched out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Oct 7 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #76

It is so difficult to get a good picture of Miss Shelley. My "nervous Nellie" always moves her head when I push the button. Here she is getting ready to nip at Mindy's paws. They had a quick little tussle. I love seeing them wrestle together with their front paws wrapped around each other, kicking, and rolling around.

I found out that Shelley likes cartoons when I watched a Disney movie that had a short cartoon before it began. Shelley followed the action with her eyes and swatted the screen with her paws. She was so delighted. And then it occurred to me that she did grow up with a 3 year-old boy who must have always watched a lot of cartoons. Lately she has also developed a taste for the outdoors, asking to go out on the balcony to watch the birds and whatever else comes by. Shelley is a very active cat who gets bored easily -- that's the Siamese part of her. She likes pushing her little sponge balls under tables, and then I have to always fish them out. Sometimes when Mindy gets a bit rough she will just sit up, look at Mindy, and give off a deep sigh as if she is counting to 10.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Oct 8 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #77

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Mindy and Miss Shelley are doing - - and for this wonderful picture of your two girls together. I'm so glad your precious girls enjoy each other's company, as I know you cherish their company.

I hope today is treating you and your precious girls kindly, DannysMom, and that each of you will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, and of your precious Miss Shelley and Mindy. Please know you and your precious girls are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to sharing your news and your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Oct 19 2012, 11:00 AM
Post #78

Hi DannysMom

You can tell by the picture Mindy is looking as if to say if you nip my toes I will get ya! Have you ever tried a cat DVD? Not that I am saying a cat should just sit in front of the tv all the time but I brought one for Ellie mainly as she came from the outdoors and now she's indoors and she loved it swatting the birds and chasing the ball on the tv. Shelley might like something like that every now and again if she has the urge for things outside.

I bet she's quite a long cat stretched out? She really is beautiful. It made me giggle when you said you have conversations with her. It is just like have children though I am always talking to mine!

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Oct 27 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #79

xxForeverxx, I have never tried a cat DVD, but I have heard of them. I am sure both Shelley and Mindy might enjoy it, but I'm afraid Shelley would scratch up my LCD screen. She has swatted at it before, and I don't want to encourage her. But it sounds like so much fun, and I'm glad that Ellie is enjoying it. Shelley and Mindy have had some more balcony time, but it seems Mindy is staying out longer. Shelley growled when she heard a big truck outside today. I had to laugh as I remembered my Danny boy always growled at the UPS truck.

Shelley is a real "talker". She makes all kinds of sounds, and sometimes she almost coos like a dove. She has become more of a cuddle cat and enjoys being on my lap and having my arm lovingly support her. She likes being held close and it seems to give her comfort. Recently she stayed on my lap for 30 minutes which is a record for her. She even fell asleep! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Oct 27 2012, 03:42 PM
Post #80

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Shelley and Mindy are doing. It sounds like your precious Shelley enjoys her special time with you, and I know how much you enjoy having her cuddle and fall asleep on your lap. I know how much joy both of your precious girls bring to you, my friend - - I know they are the light of your life.

Hope you and your precious girls are safe from the effects of Hurricane Sandy. Have begun to hear about coastline evacuations along the VA shore on the news and wonder if you and your girls will also need to seek shelter on higher ground.

I hope today is treating you and your precious girls kindly, DannysMom, and that each of you will have a very safe, peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening, and that you will not be adversely affected by Sandy. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, DannysMom, and of your precious little Shelley and Mindy. Please know you and your precious girls are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to sharing your news and your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:15 PM