Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies
> Goodbye, Jet.
Walk Alone
post Nov 16 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,880

Hello everybody. I am glad to find this forum. I don’t have a family or anyone else to talk to.

On August 7, 2007, I adopted an eleven-week-old kitten from an animal shelter who they called “Marty”. I was actually a volunteer at the shelter and noticed that the kitten’s eye was very infected. I called it to the attention of the staff on several occasions. After it remained untreated for over a week, I adopted him and took him to one of my own veterinarians, who is especially good with eyes. I renamed the kitten “Jet”.

My veterinarian initially thought Jet’s eye had already ruptured. After they cleaned it out, they saw it had not ruptured. Jet suffered permanent damage to his tear duct, but otherwise fully recovered.

When Jet’s eye was being treated, I would sit on the edge of the bathtub to medicate him. Anytime I sat there after the medication was done, Jet would hop up on my lap and rub his nose against my nose as if he remembered the treatments and was saying “Thank you.” He was my best friend.

On February 2, 2010, I took Jet to the veterinarian after I noticed some weight loss. Jet was diagnosed with Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP). Working with animals for many years, I knew that disease well. I was devastated.

I read about a veterinarian in the UK that had a 25% survival rate with FIP when using Prednisolone and Interferon. Jet and I fought hard with these medications for nine months. He was so brave and strong! Unfortunately, on November 8, 2010, I couldn’t ask him to fight anymore. We said goodbye at 6:20 p.m. at the veterinarian’s office. He died in my arms. My baby boy.

I feel absolutely terrible because when we arrived at the veterinarian for the last time, Jet hid his little face in my arm for protection, but I was the one who brought him there to die! It was me! I absolutely hate myself.

Why, oh why, was he given only three years to live? Why is there no cure for this disease? Why did he recover so well from the eye infection just to get sick again? It is not fair. Jet deserved so much more.

My grandma passed away on Christmas Eve. I asked her to please give me a sign that Jet is in heaven with her. I needed to know that animals go to heaven. This morning on the way to work, an SUV in front of me had a license plate that simply read “JETME”. I read it as “Jet is with Me.” I hope so.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:15 PM