2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remembering "nevada Nickels", "One Cool Cat!"
nickels
post Oct 30 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 2,024

It's been over a year and I've meant to do this a long time ago. It's gut wrenching to spend this much time thinking about Nickels. He was one of those very special "throwaways". A jewel that someone tossed to the animal shelter in Las Vegas.

I had gone to the L.V. shelter that afternoon with a friend that wanted to adopt a dog. It was heart breaking looking into all those sad sweet faces. I found myself in the "kitten room". There were about 50+ kittens. There were about 4 people around Nickels cage. He was making direct eye contact with everyone. Seemed to be saying, "Hey, let me out. They've got me in a cage and I don't belong in one!". I went home and couldn't get him out of my mind. I went back the next day and put my name on the list for his adoption. I was third on the list and figured I wouldn't have a chance. Well the rest is history. The minute he was available (2:09 p.m.) I was the only one that showed up. I paid for his adoption fees with the money I had won off of a nickel machine...hence his name, Nevada Nickels.

From the beginning he was my car riding kitty. We went back and forth to Oklahoma and various other destinations. He was always popular with humans and other animals. I never let him outside since he would jump in the car with anyone. Well, one evening he snuck out while we were barbequeing. I was up till about 2:00 a.m. searching. I finally broke down in tears. I had left the sliding glass door cracked and just about when I had given up, I heard a noise. I turned and saw him sticking his head in the door intently staring at me with those big blue eyes. I was so happy and told him to get in the house. He hesitated, looked behind him and came in. Not only did he come in but, another cat entered as well...then another one behind that one. He had met a couple of buddies and must have really chatted up how great his place was. It took me a while to get his "new friends" to leave but all ended well.

When he was about 2 months old I came home from work. We did our ritual "kiss" from his tall cat post then up I went to change out of my work clothes. Peeled my nylons off, put jeans on, and went downstairs to watch some T.V. All of a sudden Nickels came tearing down the stairs with the waist band of my hose in his mouth and the rest of them stradling in between his legs. He got to the bottom of the stairs, stopped like a deer in the headlights with a shocked stare on his face looking right at me. Turned as fast as he had come down, and disappeared back upstairs with the nylons still in his mouth and left them right where he had found them.

One odd note. After I named him I was snacking on a jar of sweet pickles. He jumped up in my lap and attacked the jar. He had to have a pickle. This was only a temporary phase but I thought it was funny. His nickname stuck and he was forever known after that as "Pickles-Nickels". That turned into my ebay name and has been good luck to this day with 100% positive.

The only toy he would ever play with was a rabbits foot keychain. You could jingle the chain at 50 feet away and he would go nuts looking for it. He loved to fetch and would walk back to you with the stride of a lion then drop it at your feet for another toss. He never tired of that up till the end. I still have a bunch of those in a drawer and can't bear to look at them to this day.

Another favorite passtime was spinning in our office chair. I slowly spun it when he was younger. He got to where he would jump in the chair and tap you until you spun the chair. He was relentless. He'd hunker down grabbing the sides with his claws. You couldn't spin the chair fast enough. Then I'd stop it suddenly and his head and eyes would dart back and forth. When the dizziness subsided he'd start all over with tapping you. I finally stopped this when he was about 10 thinking this couldn't be good for him entereing his elderly years.

My Son brought a stray kitten home shortly after his father passed away. I didn't have the heart to say no so we kept her and named her Miss Patch. She was black with one white patch on her belly. Flipped me out the first time she got into something. Nickels started yelling "Mama, Mama, Mama". He would always tell on her.

Another time I was in the kitchen making coffee. I spilled about 1/4 cup of fresh grounds on the floor and went to for the broom. When I returned he had scooped them all into a neat pile. I have the picture of him sweeping them up. If I find it I'll post it.

He loved listening to the portable Walkman. His favorite tapes were John Denver and Jimmy Buffett. He would also howl in the car until you popped one of his favorite tapes in.

I took him for one of his routine vet visits with Dr. Trish in Henderson NV right outside Las Vegas. She's a sweet little blonde that just loves working with cats. On this particular occasion she had come down with the flu. She was examining him when he looked directly up into her eyes, looked back down and licked her hand, and then back up making direct eye contact. She burst into tears and said "He knows I don't feel good!" He always knew the routine and would walk onto her baby scale, hunker down, and be very still to be weighed. She said out of all her patients he was the most amazing.

Over the years I have had knocks at my door from people who had met him. They have brought their families and friends over to be introduced. It was not uncommon for me to yell out, "Nickels, you have visitors!"

Well, there are so many stories. My Husband has been after me to write them down so we never forget. My heart is aching right now and I thank God he sent little Frankee to us. There are just too many coincidences that Frankee was an "accidental find".

Here is one of his last pictures. The sun is intense in Nevada and if he went out he would wear a pair of my sunglasses. This was taken 3 weeks before he was put to sleep. It's one of my favorites, taken in his "spinning chair".

"One Cool Cat!" wink.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Nickels a.k.a Pickels
7-6-94 to 8-28-06
I have loved you forever!

Nickels story
http://lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4242
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moose Mom
post Oct 31 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,225

Your Nickels was so special. It's so hard to lose them. Then to write about them again, it just rips your heart out.

My Butch was a great car kitty, he traveled all over with me. I was going to post a memorial for his 11th year gone annivesary but...I guess my heart couldn't take it.

I'm thinking of you and your family

Love

--------------------
Lori
For some of my Bridge kids.
Butch 1974-1996
Alex 1981-1996
Moose 1996-2006
Mommy loves and misses you guys. She remember's all of you, even though it's too many to name each one. I can't wait to see you again.

+Quote Post
nickels
post Oct 31 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #3

Hi Lori,
There's something about those car riding kitties! My first male cat I got when I was in High School. His name was Shiloh. He was a big white and grey long haired boy. He started riding in the glove box until one day he didn't fit anymore. Then he rode on the back of the seat. He knew exactly where Baskin Robbins was and if we didn't stop, there would be trouble. Moose reminds me so much of Shiloh.

I just remembered the most amazing thing about Nickels. The first week I had him, I was home alone vacuuming with the hand attachment. All of a sudden I felt someone tapping me. Scared me to death. I immediately thought someone had snuck into my house but it was Nickels. I don't know where he came from but evidently he was used to being around the vacuum. From that day forward if I vacuumed he would have to be my first project. I used to take the brush attachment and stick it to the top of his head and make his head bob like a puppet. It was a real hoot. Strange, but funny. He just LOVED to be vacuumed.

Michelle

--------------------
Nickels a.k.a Pickels
7-6-94 to 8-28-06

Nickels story

+Quote Post
Moose Mom
post Nov 1 2007, 07:31 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,225

Michelle

Wow all my kitties have been afraid of the the " vacuum monster". Nickels sounds like a real hoot. He's so handsome. The cool cat :-).

Love

--------------------
Lori
For some of my Bridge kids.
Butch 1974-1996
Alex 1981-1996
Moose 1996-2006
Mommy loves and misses you guys. She remember's all of you, even though it's too many to name each one. I can't wait to see you again.

+Quote Post
katzen11
post Nov 4 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,125

so the sun is so intense in Nevada ohmy.gif
Nickels had to wear your sunglasses
you are right, what a "cool" cat biggrin.gif
i like that pic, it makes me smile, though today was a hard day for some of us
looks like i have to get some cool "shades" for my Jimboycat, too happy.gif
eva
thanks for the touching story about your very special Nickels

--------------------
in loving memory of my sweet babycat Felice
+ 8 december 2006

+Quote Post
eddies mom
post Nov 4 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,829

Nickels/Michelle:

what an awesome picture. don't you wonder what they really thought of us when we dressed them up to look all cute.? the memories you have are priceless and i've learned through my time on this site that no one can ever take those away, you'll always have those close to your heart. my eddie passed 2.5 weeks ago and i'd felt like the only way i could have him close to me was to grieve him. what i've learned is 1.) eddie wouldnt have wanted me to be sad and 2.) those memories are mine and i turn to them when i'm sad. the best way for you to honor you baby is to keep those memories alive and "kickin".

please take care.

eddies mom

+Quote Post
nickels
post Aug 28 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #7

It's been two years since we lost you Nickels. I still cry over you. I'll never forget you and miss you more than ever. I'll never forget the last night you slept with me. You were under the covers sleeping with your back to my belly. You pushed so hard on the mattress to get as close to me as you could. I'm so sorry you were so sick and I didn't see it. I've beat myself up over that so much. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you at the end. I was hysterical and would have made it worse for you. I had no idea that I was going to have to say goodbye.

Hopefully you are with Donna, Daddies late wife. She passed away 14 years ago, the same day you did. She loved boy kitties too. I just know you are with her and she is taking good care of you. That is a comfort.

I know you would love little Frankee. I wish you were here to teach him how to be a "proper" big boy kitty, with all of your vast knowledge. He does love spinning in the office chair like you. He also loves car rides! But he hates the vacuum!

I found a kitten that reminds me of you and we will be adopting him this weekend. I know there will never be another kitty like you but little Frankee needs a friend and hopefully Jasper will be a cuddler like you were. I know you would want to give another kitty a good life with lots of love like we gave you. Remember the day we met? You were tapping everyone in reach of your cage and looking at them as if to say, "Hey! Get me out of this cage", "I don't belong in a cage". You made such eye contact with those big beautiful blue eyes. There was never a moment when we talked to you that you did not hold perfect eye contact. Well, little Jasper is in a cage and we must free him.

I miss you tapping on me and meowing with the "question mark" in your voice. You always had something to say. I miss you calling "Mama, Mama". You always had something important to show or tell me. What I would do to hear that one more time.

I Love you Sweet Boy and we will be together again. Please Donna, take extra special care of our Baby Boy. He's the best kitty in Heaven and Earth. I know your having fun together! Give him big kisses and hugs for me.

Mom

P.S. Did you get your wings so that you can fly? Did you get your voice so that you can talk? You always had so much to say.

--------------------
Nickels a.k.a Pickels
7-6-94 to 8-28-06

Nickels story

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Aug 29 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,797

Dearest Nickles Mom, there's so much I want to say. When I read the first post at the top, I thought it was current and didn't realize until I got to your last post that the first one was from last year. Then I read your last post and cannot stop crying. Still, I'll try my best. Here goes ...

I sure do love Nevada Nickles and how he got the name "Pickles-Nickles." What a personality! I was going to suggest you have the top post published at least in Reader's Digest or some similar magazine. They'd snap it up in a heart beat! Yep, one Cool Cat wearing his shades. So many wonderful stories you told and I burst out laughing when he brought home a couple of his friends that were "the guests who wouldn't leave." And Nickels with your nylons ... What a hoot! I'll bet he loved getting dizzy spinning around in that office chair and what a sight that would be to see! Also, I'd sure love to see the photo of Nickles sweeping up those coffee grounds if you happen to find it. Awww! And do you have any photos of him listening to the portable Walkman? Wow! You two sure traveled around a whole bunch.

There's more I want to say about your top post but I see that you just posted yesterday about how much you miss Nickels and cry for him. I understand completely and, as you can tell, I'm crying right now with you for Nicikles. How dear of you to open your heart, take a chance and make a wonderful home soon for another fur baby who is waiting for you. That takes a lot of courage! It sure does and you are a Treasure and genuinely Wonderful Person!!!

Such an awesome, perfect Tribute to Nevada Nickles so filled with tons and tons of Love!!! I'm sure he got his wings and voice, Dear One and God Bless You and Nickles Most Abundantly!

Many Comforting and Grateful Hugs!!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Always,
Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
LoveThem
post Sep 2 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,876

Your 2 year anniversary on the 28th......seems like only yesterday, doesn't it?

My Little Guy's 1 year will be here next week. It is a day you want to forget and yet don't want to forget...at least I get that feeling.

As you do know...I know 8/28 very well and I will think of Nevada Nickels on that day..he will have lots of love thoughts being sent to him on that cloud where special Angels sit and watch over their Moms and Dads.

Hugs, Michelle
wub.gif

Judy

--------------------
LITTLE GUY - May 28, 1991 - Sept 10, 2007 - Always in my Heart.
His story: Section D&D: How do I stop crying? and also... My Boy is Gone Forever.

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 9 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #10

In Loving Memory and Tribute to Nickels

+Quote Post
nickels
post Sep 10 2008, 01:48 AM
Post #11

Dottie!!

You are tooo precious!! I've forwarded this to several "Nickels fans". You are TRULY an ANGEL. Thanks for the smiles this has brought me and the tears of happiness. You summed Nickels up exactly. He loved music and I can see him dancing to this song with his sun glasses on.

Thank you so very very very much!! You're a doll!

Michelle

--------------------
Nickels a.k.a Pickels
7-6-94 to 8-28-06

Nickels story

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 10 2008, 02:17 AM
Post #12

Yo! Yo! Yo! What can I say, Michelle? I see that picture of Nickels wearing his shades and know how much he loved listening to the portable Walkman. So, there he is riding along with you in your car because you both traveled everywhere all the time. Nickels is listening to his Walkman, gettin' down with his bad self and singing along. happy.gif And what song is Nickels Kool Shade Wearing Kittuh Kat singing along with while doing his boogie-oogie-oogie dancing? cool.gif Yep! That's the song. tongue.gif

It was a no brainer, Hon. I am so very, very overjoyed that you love it so much!!! Oh My Goodness!!! biggrin.gif

Love You and Your Kool Shade Wearin' Walkman Sing along Boogie down Kittuh Kat Nickels So Much!!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Always,
Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
Ken Albin
post Sep 12 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 854

Dear Nickel's mom,

What a sweet story! You know, the special ones like Nickels always stay in our hearts. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. I am sure Nickels is waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.

Ken Albin

--------------------

Daddy Cat left this world at the age of 17. His tribute page is at Daddy Cat's Tribute Page

+Quote Post
openhearted87
post Sep 12 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,836

QUOTE (AngelCareOne @ Sep 9 2008, 09:44 PM) *
In Loving Memory and Tribute to Nickels

i love this pic. this angel is still bringing smiles. thank you nickels.

with love corina and her angels

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Oct 23 2008, 06:18 AM
Post #15

Hi, Corina and your Angels! So glad it made you smile! smile.gif

Hi Michelle! Like I told you in PM, I'm learning a lot more about the features at Photobucket hosting site and would like to show you and I did make the correction in the spelling of "too" instead of "to" where I boo booed in the last part of Nickel's caption from the first one I made using a different program. Please have a look. Here are the URLs for you to pull up with a description under each as to what enhancing and other applications I made. Okay? Hugs!!!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...ickelsKitty.jpg
Above: Original

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...kelsKitty-1.jpg
Above: Original photo enhanced using several features and image sharpened.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...Kitty-1-1-1.jpg
Above: One "blank" I have in save. Too Large a background area. But! Can do easily using larger text and you just need to click on URL to bring it up.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...tty-1-1-1-2.jpg
Above: Another blank I have in save. Still a bit too large, narrower on sides but also still can do and you just click on URL to bring it up. (When I say "can do" you'll see what I mean as we keep going.)

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...y-1-1-1-2-1.jpg
Above: Another blank I have in save. Still, too Large a background area. But! Can do easily using larger text and you just need to click on URL to bring it up. Same as the others above and am getting to the "can do."

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...1-1-1-2-1-1.jpg
Above: Blank in save. Right size but can make more of frame to each side and so on.

Next Step: Add different colors to the white area before the frames and text also of any color. Michelle, this is the "can do" part . . .

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...1-1-2-1-1-1.jpg
Dark Gold.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...1-1-2-1-1-3.jpg
Lighter gold but I can make it even lighter, darker, tan, brown and so on.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...1-1-2-1-1-2.jpg
Light Blue but can make any shade of blue that your heart desires.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...1-1-2-1-1-4.jpg
Light green but can make any shade of green.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...1-1-2-1-1-5.jpg
Lavender but can make lighter, darker, any shade of purple, mauve and so on.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...1-1-2-1-1-6.jpg
Sort of a rose color but can make it any shade of red or in the red family.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...1-1-2-1-1-7.jpg
Light silver but can make lighter silver, darker silver, gray ...

In other words, can make the background and text any color at all. Kewl beanz!

Now, just one sample with text and same sample with double frame applied but can use any frame you wish like the one before. As I said, you can choose any color for the text and I chose a very, very deep red. Not really red but in the "red" family for the text. Here you go just as a sample only. I like it!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l179/MyS...1-2-1-1-3-1.jpg

So, what would you like to try next, Michelle? I saw another photo somewhere of Nickels wearing his shades and can enhance that photo as I did the one above and do a different caption. But, as for this one, would you love to see it in a different shade background and text without that white around it or I can put the white back in? No problem and only takes a second. Hope you enjoy, Dear One!

Tons of Hugs and Much Love to You and Nevada Nickels!!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Always,
Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Oct 23 2008, 06:25 AM
Post #16

Ooohhh, Michelle. I see I may be able slightly enlarge the one with the text and the frame which is the final sample above.

No problem and More Hugs!!!

Always,
Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
nickels
post Nov 7 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #17

I've added Nickels to the Findagrave.com memorial site. I've also added his memorial to the "virtual stroll". People on this site are loving and kind. There are so many of our fur and feather babies listed on this site so that they will always be remembered and loved.

Thank you again Dottie for Nickels "Shades" picture. I'm sure I will have lots of comments about it LOL!

Michelle

--------------------
Nickels a.k.a Pickels
7-6-94 to 8-28-06

Nickels story

+Quote Post
nickels
post Nov 7 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #18

Oops! Here's the link:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...p;GRid=31209688

--------------------
Nickels a.k.a Pickels
7-6-94 to 8-28-06

Nickels story

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Nov 7 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #19

Oh My Gosh! You put that captioned, framed photo of Nickels on his Website! smile.gif I feel so honored! Awww! I'm going back right now to read every thing that's clickable and all the comments and ... Everything. Awesome Website and tons of Nevada Nickels fans. Too cool and super duper for words, I tell ya. Wow! I am smiling Sooooo Big!

I can't wait to see the better version there. I didn't enhance Nickel's precious face when I did the first one as a novice poking around in the dark. Oy. The newest one has Nickel's face and shades enhanced, better background color and I used the "grab color" feature to make the text match the red part in the nose piece of Nickel's shades.

That sure am one Kool Shade Wearin' Walkman Music Listenin' Gettin' Down With His Bad Shelf Boogie-Oogie-Oogie Kute Kuddlie Kitteh!!! Awww!!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Thanks bunches for the Link, Hon.

Big Kute Kuddlie Kitteh Hugs!!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Always,
Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Nov 7 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #20

PS. Doh on me. I didn't give you the enlargements I made for the newest Nickel's boogie-oogie-oogie Kitteh. Here they are ...

This one is a bit bigger ...

And this one's even bigger because I didn't know how big you wanted his singing song photo ...

I love the second one best but that's just me. tongue.gif

More Hugs!!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Always,
Dottie xoxoxox

Edit: I like the background color and frame a whole lot more in the original one you have at Nickel's Website. I'll fix it. Blush!
And more Hugs!!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:23 AM