Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Theresa My Baby Girl
MannaPaws
post May 11 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #21

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 8,843

Hello Tom's Dad,

Just dropping in to see how your precious Theresa has been doing.

I continue to keep Theresa, you and Tang in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings and comfort over you all.

MannaPaws
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 11 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 6,946

Hello MannaPaws.

Thank you for stopping by to ask after my sweet little girl. She's kind of in a holding pattern on eating and grooming. She eats soft food w/o water when it's fresh out of the can like tonight. With water when it's not. Enough to sustain her, but just sad.gif She will eat some of the soft treats too.

The fur on her legs and tummy is thinning and matted even after her bath last week. Brushing helps, but only a little. She does have lots of energy for the most part when I get home, so that's an upside.

We have an appointment to see Dr. Mills this coming Saturday to see about the steroids and ask about some AI meds. I also post her progress some in my Welcome Tang posts.

We appreciate the thoughts an prayers and will keep our LS friends posted.

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
MannaPaws
post May 12 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #23

Hello Tom's Dad,

Thank you for sharing how your sweet little girl Theresa has been doing. I'm glad she is still eating the soft food when it's fresh out of the can, but sorry she's in a somewhat holding pattern on grooming and eating in general. I know it makes her feel really good when you brush her, especially since it's hard for her to groom her legs and tummy.

It's wonderful that Theresa has lots of energy, though, when you get home. That shows she's very happy to see you! But it also shows that she feels good enough to respond and has the energy to do so. My precious little boy was like that also, whenever I would come home from work, which indicated that he was feeling good on those days.

It's good you could get in to see your Veterinarian, Dr. Mills, to see about the steroids and ask about some AI meds. I'm hopeful things will go well, especially since Theresa still continues to eat soft food, and also has the energy to respond to you. I will check out the area you mentioned called "Welcome Tang" to check further on Theresa's progress.

I will continue to hold you, Theresa and Tang in my prayers.

Blessings, MannaPaws

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 12 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #24

Hello MannaPaws

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. It's appreciated. We will keep you posted on her progress and how things go at the vet. I looking into trying to get her to drink cat milk replacer as I've heard good things about it. Have to cut it short tonight as my bus home was over 30 minutes late and there is barely enough time to see to her needs as is. Thank you again for checking on us.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 14 2016, 01:28 PM
Post #25

Update from the vet visit today (re-posted from my other thread for those who don't read it)

The news was not good sad.gif The mass has increased by about 30% in the less than 2 weeks since he saw her. He has given me a 30 day supply of Prednisolone in liquid form since I think pills would be too hard for her. They also gave me a tube of Nutri-Cal which has not gone over so well, but am hoping will get better. In addition to the cat milk (that I give her alone and mixed with can food) I'm checking into meat flavored baby food. I forgot to ask about the fur trimming, but gave her a bath this morning before her appointment and brushed her right after. This seems to have had a somewhat better result.

She has energy and wants to eat. Last night she crawled right into the fridge as if I was hiding the "magic" food from her, then tried to stick her head in my fruit smoothie. She's also trying to dart into the hallway EVERY time the door opens. All things that indicate she WANTS to eat, but just can't other than the milk and can food "soup" It's very heart breaking sad.gif

Depending on how well the meds and vitamin paste perform, it's really just a matter of when I'm going to have to make a very difficult decision. But I will be there for her. I wasn't for Tom, and that still haunts me 5 1/2 years later. She has a follow up with Dr. Mills in 2 week; this time with an actual appointment rather than the drop off I had to do today. But they did get to her fairly quickly despite being so busy.

She is resting (comfortably I hope) in the little bed I made for her in the cubby of the computer desk as I post this. She came up to the couch but did not stay to cuddle. I am feeling sad, empty and numb. But we will persevere and make the most of the time we have left.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 15 2016, 07:20 AM
Post #26

I have what I hope is encouraging news. After just one dose of the Prednisolone, she has been eating dry food last night and this morning. Not a lot, but it's better than the none it's been for days. I will continue with the cat milk to be safe though.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
MannaPaws
post May 15 2016, 11:01 AM
Post #27

Hello Tom’s Dad,

Thank you again for keeping us all posted. I haven’t been able to go online for a few days, but I was still thinking and praying for your sweet Theresa.

First, I just want to say how sorry I am after reading that the tumor has increased by about 30% since seeing Dr. Mills yesterday, but am glad they could see her relatively quickly, since it was so busy.

I am also glad that Theresa continues to have energy and a strong appetite, but I can imagine just how heart breaking it is when you see her only being able to eat the can food soup and the cat milk. You mentioned the Nutri-Cal didn’t go over well with her. I’ve heard good things about Nutri-Cal, so it's good your Vet gave you a tube to try with her, to see if she could tolerate it.

Now, if the Nutri-Cal didn’t go over well with her because of the taste, I’d like to suggest something that may or may not work. When one of my beloved kitty boys came down with his debilitating disease, he didn’t have any appetite at all, and a very difficult time swallowing, so the Vet gave me something called “Hills Prescription Diet Urgent Care a/d”. It is a high-caloric and nutrient soft food that I mixed with water. It was very palatable to him, as well as easy to swallow, so he began to eat again and gained back the weight he had lost.

This is “only” a suggestion, and may or may not be feasible with your sweet Theresa, depending on how well she can tolerate swallowing it and, of course, whether or not it is palatable specifically to her tastes in food.

I think your idea of meat-flavored baby food is a good one. I did hear from some people that meat flavored baby food can contain onion and/or garlic powders, and that is harmful to felines. You may already be aware of this, but I thought I’d mention it just in case you weren’t. I wasn’t aware of that, myself, until a couple of my friends told me to look what’s in the ingredients.

I'm hoping the Prednisone liquid and the vitamin paste perform well in reducing the inflammation of the tumor and providing the nutrients Theresa needs. That would really help since she'd be able to eat more food and increase the nutrients in her system. What's good is that Theresa seems to really like to try different things. I think it is cute that she wanted to try your smoothie!

Let me add again, as I did in another post, that you are a caring, wonderful father to Theresa and to Tang. You mentioned that you felt you weren’t there for your beloved Tom and that still haunts you 5 ½ years later . . . so I read the section on that to familiarize myself as to what happened.

I, too, had a similar experience with another of my feline sons about 10 years ago, and the guilt also haunted me. But as with all my feline companions, there was “always” that measure of guilt, with my wondering if I did all things right. I would berate myself for things I thought I should have done or shouldn’t have done, and things I wished I hadn’t thought or said to my companions during their illnesses. I was my own worst judge and enemy, most of the time.

As time has gone by, however, and as I’ve had the opportunity to read about and talk to others who loved their animal children as much as I loved mine, I realize now that we ALL did everything we thought we could do, given all our unique situations and circumstances, and that was the best.

Because of you, me and others like us, our sweet babies had a very good life. We cannot help what we may think, feel and even say at times, especially when our emotions are running high and we are in the midst of trying to provide care to our ailing companions. It is exhausting and heartbreaking, when we watch them decline, when all we want is for them to get better and be healthy again. But we don’t want to see them suffer either, and not continue in that state. It’s a struggle between wanting them to live and wanting them to transition to the Heavenly realms. It is what is known as being between a rock and a hard place.

So please let me assure you, Tom’s Dad, that you did all you could for Tom too. I just say this for I was in a similar place many, many years ago, and I now realize that I did truly provide the best care and love for my own sweet boy.

You needn’t worry about responding at length to everything I said, or even responding. I know that one can be VERY tired when missing buses, and then needing to get home to take care of our precious fur children.

You mentioned that there is the other forum you update called “Welcome Tang”, which I’ve also checked out, so I can do so in the future. I’m not always online, and sometimes can go for days, but please know that I continue to keep you, Theresa and Tang in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings,
MannaPaws

+Quote Post
MannaPaws
post May 15 2016, 11:09 AM
Post #28

Hi Tom's Dad,

I just now read your recent reply about your encouraging news, after I posted my other reply. I am SO happy for you and Theresa . . . that just after just one dose or Prednisone, she's been eating the dry food since last night and this morning. I am crying tears of joy! I agree it's a good idea to continue with the cat milk, which cannot hurt.

Thanks for this wonderful update, which I know others will be pleased to read!

You, Theresa and Tang will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings,
MannaPaws

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 15 2016, 11:38 AM
Post #29

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Theresa's check up went yesterday. Like our forum friend MannaPaws, I too am very saddened that the tumor on your precious girl's tongue has increased in size. I'm hoping the Prednisone will help your precious girl. There is no doubt that she has the very best of care with you as her Forever Dad. This Anticipatory Grief journey is a heartbreaking journey all of its own. Please know we are here for you, with you, and beside you through every step your precious Theresa, and you, go through.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Theresa, and little Tang, kindly, and that you and your precious companions will have a peaceful, blissful, cozy evening blessed with your beloved Sir Thomas' sweet Living Spirit to comfort you. Please know your precious girl, and you and little Tang, are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how your precious Theresa, and you, are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 15 2016, 03:30 PM
Post #30

MannaPaws and Moon_beam.

Thank you both for your kind words about my baby girl. It's appreciated.

MannaPaws, thank you for your suggestion about the RX food, but if I could afford that Tang would be getting RX diabetic food rather than the Iams Sr as Dr. Mills said was the next best thing. Thank you for sharing my joy and sliver of hope in her eating dry food again. I'm not naive enough to think it's a full blown miracle, but I'll take it as a small one that offers us a little more time together and better quality of life in the here and now. She still hates the Nutri-Cal, but I'll keep giving it to her 2X a day along with the cat milk.

Once again, thank you both for stopping by with thoughts and prayers. Blessings

Still TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 17 2016, 03:09 PM
Post #31

My baby girl seems to be doing OK on the meds still. Hates the Nuti-Cal though. She's still eating dry food in small amounts and devours the cat milk with bits of can food in with it. Her next appointment is 05/28 (yeah Memorial Day weekend) Any thoughts and preayers from my LS friends are appreciated. Thanks.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
MannaPaws
post May 18 2016, 09:50 AM
Post #32

Hello Tom's Dad,

That is wonderful news about your baby girl Theresa still doing okay on the meds! It's great she's still eating dry food in small amounts, which is a change from when she wasn't eating it at all.

Will continue to keep Theresa in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us all updated whenever you can.

Blessings,
MannaPaws

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 18 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #33

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Theresa is doing. So glad to share your news that she is still doing well with the meds and is continuing to eat the dry food, and finding it easier to eat the canned food with the milk. These are all very good signs. I'm keeping your precious girl in my thoughts and prayers that her checkup in a couple of weeks will show improvement in the size of the tumor, giving both Dr. Mills - - and you - - encouragment that at some point Dr. Mills will be able to successfully remove it.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Theresa, and little Tang, kindly, and that you and your precious companions will have a peaceful, blissful, cozy evening blessed with your beloved Sir Thomas' sweet Living Spirit to comfort you. Please know your precious girl, and you and little Tang, are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how your precious Theresa, and you, are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 18 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #34

Dear MannaPaws and moon_beam

Thank you both for stopping by with words of comfort and encouragement. As I mentioned in my other thread, she's looking kind of rough - even worse than when I first got her and she had the upper resp/inner ear infections. That was mostly due to the "stains" of the liquid meds that got more ON her than IN her. She doesn't fight me as much now. Normally I'd be relived at that, but I can't hep but wonder if it's because she just does not have the strength to fight the meds unsure.gif I hope it's just a cosmetic/grooming thing. Hopefully I will get better at the bathing ritual; perhaps get a blow dryer for afterward.

Thanks again both of you for your support. Blessings.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 19 2016, 11:16 AM
Post #35

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Theresa, and you, are doing. The blow dryer sounds like it might be helpful. You probably already know this but just to offer a gentle suggestion to keep the setting on low heat and move it around instead of keeping it in one place - - as I know you would be horrified to have the heat from the dryer burn her. Some folks don't think of this when using a blow dryer on their precious companions.

I'm smiling at your precious Theresa being "compliant" with taking her meds. Oh how I wish I could say the same thing for my beloved Eli and Abbygayle. My beloved Eli fought taking his meds to the very end, and my Abbygayle just didn't want to be "messed with." So ENJOY your precious Theresa's cooperation, my friend - - it could just be that she knows you are trying your best to help her feel better.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 19 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #36

Hello moon_beam

Thank you as always for your encouragement and helpful suggestions. I actually knew about the low setting on the blow dryer . But only because my parents (such as they were) ran a feline version of a puppy mill for Siamese. In the 70s the animal shelters didn't ask too many questions dry.gif Bad memories, but it did give me my pal Chauncey.

Anyway, off topic there, but thanks for the reminder. Perhaps you are right that she knows I'm trying to help her and that's why so little fighting. I just hope it's actually doing some good. I'm really just beside myself at the sad state her tummy, paws and backside fur is in. It's like night and day compared to the topside. I know it's making her miserable because she has always been such a clean kitty girl. I'm also thinking about getting some electric clippers like the vet uses to shave areas when the draw blood - fresh start and all. She won't even cuddle or sleep in the bed, just sleeps by it on the floor. I feel like she's embarrassed about her fur sad.gif

Thank you again for checking on us. I hope you and Noah are having a great day. Blessings

TTT

PS (7:23 PM): Had to coax her out to eat tonight. Fur still looking bad. She spit out most of her meds; didn't want to risk another full dose. Trying to figure out is she's telling me it's time soon sad.gif

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 20 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #37

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious girl is doing. Yeah, she may be feeling embarassed about her fur, but I know you are doing everything in your power to help her feel better. As for spitting out the meds last night, - - just take it easy. One night is not yet a "trend" and there may be a perfectly natural explanation for it - - although she isn't able to tell you why. Just take it easy, and if it becomes more difficult for her to take her meds you may want to call Dr. Mills before her appointment next weekend to see if there's some other way you can help her take them.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 20 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #38

Hello moon_beam.

Thank you for the encouragement with my baby girl. I did not go to work today. Normally I can force myself, but today it wasn't there. Before you worry about me getting in trouble, let me tell you this. This one woman I work with has missed at least 2 days for every one of mine and we were in the same training class. This is the one who was going to quit if they didn't let her go part time. They gave her part time.

I am doing what I can for her fur. I looked at bath sprayers at Feeder's when I was getting more cat milk and can food (running low and not going out toward Kroger/Petsmart until next Saturday) It looked like it may not fit and they wanted 35.00 blink.gif

So she got a "normal" bath. I kept her in longer and washed a little more completely. She looks a bit scruffy, but cleaner. I tried to get her to sit in front of the space heater to dry off, but no deal. She finally decided to settle in my chair; so I put a towel down there and pointed the heater toward her. I'll brush her out after while.

She did seem to be heavier when I picked her up for the bath. I hope she has indeed gained some weight. She may be putting away more dry food than I thought too. Not to be gross, but her poop is bigger indicating consumption of more solid food than before.

Thank you again for checking up on us. Blessings TTFN

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 20 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #39

Well, this just in:

She was starting to eat dry food, but then decided to try to groom aggressively (guess my efforts are not good enough) There was blood everywhere. I thinks she's trying to tell me it's time sad.gif

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 21 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #40

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Theresa is doing. I could be very wrong from my armchair assessment but it would seem to me that it wouldn't be abnormal for the tumor on her tongue to bleed - - as all types of wounds normally do. So this may not be a "sign" that your precious girl's earthly journey is in danger - - it could just be a "normal" process of the nature of the tumor. Next Saturday Dr. Mills will examine your precious girl and evaluate her overall health and will advise you accordingly. It sounds like everything else is in working order and that she's still involved with you, her brother, and her home - - these are all positive signs of a good quality of life.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:28 PM