Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This Can't Be Happening Again, Jax is missing in Florida
oceanpets
post Feb 3 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 3,331

First Toones, now Jax. I feel like I am being punished somehow, or have very bad luck. I know, I didn't microchip or use a break away collar on the tag I had.. it's my fault somehow... but I really just couldn't keep him in, I tried for months... then he was so insistent and excited and always came back every night. There are no predators here in Florida where we live 10 months out of the year... so for the past two he's been living free and happy. He's fixed... and mellowed out since we got him. Some of you may remeber that we got him to mend our broken hearts over losing Toonces... and Toonces is the picture I think still showing.. I am on a different computer and I don't have a pictue of Jax loaded in yet.
He has been missing two nights now. I just finally broke down.
I tried to get 'on' to the site for the past few months, wanting to check back in. NEver could. NOW I can. I guess at least it's what I need, when I need it.
Every time the kids come in/ someone calls my cell when I'm out... I think it means the cat is back. I can't sleep through the night, calling and searching is painful, all over again.
last night I searched in a neighborhood nearby that is a housing complex and our back yard abuts this, but I had to ride my bike out to the highway and ask to be let in the gate... then I was down near where the cats hang out and sawone that looked just like Jax. NOPE, not enough paws. He has thumbs he is so double/triple pawed.
I hope he comes back. I put flyers in all my neighbors mailboxes. We have looked around. Called early and late. I will call the vets and humane society, etc.. tommorrow. I am THIS close to calling Hillary Renaissance again. but that was so painful, I"m not sure I can handle the news that another cat is gone.
There are so any cats around here that I know no one took him. One of three things has happened in my mind. He is displaced. Lost. He is trapped in a garage or shed. He jumped in a car and was transported. This is the one that makes me wish I'd been more vigilatnt and gotten the darn breakaway collar on him. I was complacent. I wanted a 'normal' situtation. I wanted to think because of no predators that he'd be fine and denied that it would ever happen to me again.
Only 5 months later and My heart got attached and now smashed again.
I had a rough Fall. I had a miscarriage and then my father died. I am super busy and thought I was all set.. now this. I cant' believe it! I want Jax home NOW. I wish he'd just come home so I could be mad and glad to see him...
I could use some support. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
goliath
post Feb 3 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,239

I pray that God will take the burden of your worries right now. Have faith in Him that He will look over Jax wherever he is. That place may be with other loving people or he may be in God's loving arms.

May you be blessed with comfort and calmness. My prayers are with you that Jax will return.

--------------------
Topics that include Goliath are:
Death of my Furry Baby Boy Chihuahua
Heartfelt Letter to my Goliath
Goliath and Gidget Pics
Happy Birthday Goliath
Goliath's Blessings
Bouncing Baby Browser (Goliath & Gidget's New Baby Brother)
Browser Is Missing!
Goliath Aloysius 1/25/1997 til 11/6/2007
My Gidgie Girl

+Quote Post
Sassy Girl
post Feb 4 2008, 12:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,269

Sassy Girl,

I am so sorry. Try putting something that smell of you like a shrit or somthing that he lays on so he can smell it.

I know how it feels. I am still looking for my Sassy. She has been gone almost a month and still no sign.

My neighbors who lost there cats but found had thought about bring in search dogs, I thought about that for my little one but it has been so long a go.

My little girl had a micro chip in her.

Keep checking the local shealters and the vets. It has only been two days time is still on your side.

Hang in there and try not to do the blame game.

Take care

+Quote Post
Zita'sMom
post Feb 4 2008, 01:37 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,938

Hello

I so hope your Jax returns safe and sound! I know how you feel - My husband's cat was killed by the neighbour's dog in 06 (after the death of my old dog), then last October my dear sweet Zita cat - only 3 years old - disappeared and never returned. This was after a lot of personal and family health issues as well. It just makes all of it more painful. I had planned to have a baby as well, but was not able and now I am too old; the loss of a pet is like an extra blow, so I understand your pain. I found out later there was a lot of evidence of a cougar right in our neighbour's yard, so I am sure my Zita is in spirit. Even so, I still wish she would just show up one day and even after 3 months and having adopted another cat, I miss her incredibly. I did have a friend whose cat went missing for 2 weeks and came back skinny and hungry. She was locked in somewhere, probably someone's shed. My old cat once jumped into a car window - she came right back out but it can be a worry.

I just wish you the best, I spent weeks putting up the posters, going from door to door etc spending a fortune on animal communicators. You could also try visiting the yahoo animal communication group. There is a lady called Mary who was very good at tuning into Zita.

take care

Jan.

+Quote Post
D&D
post Feb 4 2008, 02:42 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,368

My beloved Daisy went missing this week as well. She was diagnosed with renal failure nearly three years ago, and as of week before last it seemed that the end was near for her. She stopped eating and drinking, only getting her hydration through subcu fluids. It was extremely painful to witness, and I began seriously considering her options.

Daisy loved going outside. It was what made her happiest. I didn't want to take that away from her, though I was limiting her access towards the end. On Tuesday, my well-meaning boyfriend let her out, and we haven't seen her since.

I feel almost certain that Daisy has passed away. She has a very independent spirit - that combined with her love of the outdoors and the propensity for cats to leave home to pass away leads me to the natural conclusion. But it's so hard to accept it when I don't have the physical evidence. I want to know that she found a wonderful, secluded spot and that she died in peace. The alternative (predators) is too painful to consider.

I've posted flyers in the neighborhood, searched under every shrub, every crawlspace, under all the neighbors' homes I could access. I've visited every local shelter, and posted notices. I'm considering contact a SAR team as well. I'm also considering contacting a pet psychic I heard about through a friend. I need to find her, one way or another.

Has anyone had experience with SAR teams? Pet psychics? This is the first time I've searched or posted on this site so if anyone knows of other relevant postings, please let me know. Thank you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Jax. I hope it's at least a small comfort to know you're not the only one going through this. We want our sweet kitties to live long, healthy lives, and we also want them to be happy on their own terms; the decision to let them go outside makes that a difficult balance. It's something I've always struggled with as well.

Keep looking. With the loss of Toonces I'm sure it feels like this is some kind of curse, but don't let go of hope.

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Feb 4 2008, 04:03 AM
Post #6

So much for the Super Bowl. I spent the whole second half crying basically, for once the water works started it was hard to focus on anything else, it's all trivial.
Now my head cold has decided that I"m a human faucet on top of it!
It's 3 am and of course I can't sleep. HOped that Jax was outside sleeping on chair on porch.
I will call vets and humane society tommorrow and Sherriff office.. search by bicycle.
I have other things to do tommorrow and I hope I can manage it okay.
Thanks for your helpful comments.
I had a cat in a shed for 2 weeks once, so that's my only hope... but a hard one to think about.
NOw I face the prospect of talking to neighbors more and asking to look in sheds... it's such a roller coaster.
I had told myself that if this ever happened again I wouldn't put my self through so much anguish with the fruitless searching. But I suppose I have to.
Thanks again for writing so promptly.
I will try to post a picture of Jaxy soon.

+Quote Post
E.M
post Feb 4 2008, 05:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,394

D&D

I would say your gut instinct is right about Daisy but would suggest an animal communicator first rather than the SAR team for two reasons.

Firstly an A/C is a lot cheaper and will be able to tell you if Daisy is in spirit and secondly, they may also be able to tell you where to find her depending on the physical terrain around your home or at least point you in the right direction.

Also an A/C does not need to be based in your area where as a SAR team will have to be within a reasonable distance to you.

A lot of cats will go to ground when they are sick, hurt or injured as you know and it does sound like Daisy was nearing her end.

My Denis had renal failure and towards the end stopped eating and drinking but despite being weak he was searching the home for somewhere to hide, in the end we made him comfortable in the sideboard but I am sure if he could of got out he would have gone off too.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for despite the pain and anguish you are are suffering. There are some A/Cs whom LS members have used so you should be able to find one that comes recommended.

And I hope you find Jax, Oceanpets, I have my fingers crossed. There is still plenty of hope, feral cats survive without any intervention from ourselves and Jax has all the skills and ability to look after himself so hang in there and have faith in his safe return.

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Feb 4 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,750

OH JOANI, NO! I AM SOOOO SORRY!! Your year sounds like mine, and I know that awful feeling when yet one more thing happens and you can't BELIEVE you have to go through yet ANOTHER huge life event. Joani, really, I just ache for you on this. My goodness, I hope Jaxy comes home shortly.

And if not, think of Sable. She's somebody else's Jax or Toonces, but I can't find her mama. As I write this, she's asleep on my bed with food in her bowl. She's loved, she's safe, she's home now. I'll keep you and Jax in my thoughts. ~Kimberly
PS: if nothing else, keep up on vitamins and water

--------------------
...You precious children, of four feet, whiskers, and mischief...

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Feb 5 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #9

Thank you SO much Kimberly! YEs, water and vitamins will help. I have the WORST head cold imaginable right now. I am really ticked off at my husband, of course he was in the 'dog house' before this, so this really helps things right along... thank god for friends like you and best friends by phone...
I did ride my bike around tonight and see other cats, many black ones around, but no thumbed ones like Jax. He is one of a kind. I hope he can find his way home somehow... the myth is that they can... but all the resource material says they get displaced... so what's the truth? I wish and pray he someday finds his way home... without predators, unless he is REALLY far by jumping into a car or is locked in a shed and doesn't get let out in time and dies, he has a chance! He's healthy.. although I was giving him some medicine in his ears for a fungal infections he has had since I got him. he hated that. I wonder if he left to avoid that. Has some good wet food somewhere and no ear drops to bother him! He better not...!
Well, I am not giving up hope and it's a bit easier than Toonces, but not fun. I am in limbo and tired again, and feel sadness unless I am away from the house and busy. I just can't seem to be home and especially at night or no the porch without looking for him to just appear! It is the same old pattern we all must feel, the place they 'should' be is the hardest.
I want to hold him. I emailed the new A/C someone mentioned in a post , but no reply yet. I am not sure if I am ready to hear yet.... no news is not bad news!
Well, keep writing, it really does help.
SOrry I can't offer anything to anyone. I'm feeling too overwhelmed to think about anything else right now but tissues and Jax.
Joani

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Feb 5 2008, 12:56 AM
Post #10

UPloaded a picture of Jax. NOt super current, but one I had on the other computer.
He is much longer now, older, about a year. They had his age wrong, I think he was malnourished when we got him, so when his big teeth came in he zoomed from 5 months to about 9!
Here he is though.... love that boy.Loved them all!!! Pepperoni, Sweet Pea, Precious, Toonces and Jax.... all my babies.

Here is another one of our beloved Toonces, he was playing in this box and then fell asleep one day!!!
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Feb 5 2008, 02:25 AM
Post #11

When trying to find Sable's mama, I looked in the paper, on the local radio station's website, on Craigslist, vets, shelters, PetFinders.com, tabbytracker.com and a local woman who scours all the sites and tries to match Missings with Founds.

Sending thoughts to Jax to wrap up his merry adventures and come home to your hearth pronto. ~Kimberly

--------------------

+Quote Post
paris
post Feb 5 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,227

Joani,

I am so sorry you are going through this. the prayer from goliath was wonderful.

I just want to tell you, that a cat CAN and DOES find its way home. They have in their brains something that allows them to navigate. They do not do it by sight or smell. My cat, Bennett, was transported to a new town by car, and when we were in the new place he went missing. He walked back (12 miles) to EXACTLY where the old house is. Yes, and he was well-fed when I finally found him after over a week. Cats can fend for themselves and do not get 'lost' like a human or even a dog can.

There are so many stories of cats surviving, and yes, even taken in by a good-hearted cat love like Kimberly.

I am hopeful that Jax returns. He is absolutely adorable.

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Feb 8 2008, 03:06 AM
Post #13

Here's my '6 toed Egyptian cat' Jax:
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Zita'sMom
post Feb 8 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (D&D @ Feb 4 2008, 02:42 AM)
Has anyone had experience with SAR teams? Pet psychics? This is the first time I've searched or posted on this site so if anyone knows of other relevant postings, please let me know.

D&D

You asked about animal communicators. I had very good success with a lady called "Mary P" on this pet communication group:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/animalcommunication/

If you email me directly, I could pass on your email address directly to her. The yahoo group stuff is free. I don't know what Mary normally charges, but I think she would be quite reasonable. I also talked to a couple of other pet psychics, including Sonya Fitzpatrick (who doesn't normally do lost pets). I got the most evidential info from Mary. Mary seems particularly good at sensing animals in spirit.

I wish you the best.

Jan.

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Feb 17 2008, 07:04 AM
Post #15

Two weeks now... still nothing on the Jax returning home front. I will call on MOnday, to some vets/ humane society again... and post some flyers.. call the paper about and ad. A friend said to ask the radio station to mention it, they got their animal returned that way once! Might just do that!
Well, life is busy. Kids and volunteering, busy busy busy....and it's hard to keep up with the heavy feeling inside.
I just wish he would stroll home and make it all better. I think there's reason for this.. or he's just a fickle ladies cat like a friend of mine says.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It hurts so much to open your heart and then one day they just go out and never come back. I really hope that is not the case, again....
I can't believe it is happening again! It is just so strange. But at least we're in FLorida where it's warm and he has a lot of good safe options. I think some one is loving on him BIG TIME> I just wish it could be me.
Well, until further news....
Joani

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Feb 21 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #16

Oh Joani. Man, what a heartbreak thing to have to go through again. <kimberly shakes her head in sympathy> You know, even after all these months, I STILL look to the back door at least once or twice an evening, searching for Twitchit? I KNOW he's gone, I KNOW he's dead (at least on this plane), but I just can't help but turn my head to look for him at the back door. Still feels so unfair and so unreal that he's gone. sad.gif

An animal communicator is coming to my house on Friday to see what Sable and the others have to say. If she's in process of dying or recovering, if she's pining for her family, and if there's any way I can get her home, what she thinks about being here, and then what everybody thinks about the possibility of her settling in to a comfy foursome.

I'm sick and I'm leaving for Maui next week, for two weeks. Plus the whiplash is still dogging me, so I have a lot of recovering to do. I'm nervous about leaving the cats so long. My brother looks in on them, but they're scared of him. Anyway, Joani, -- excuse my digression -- this is about you, not me. Just please know that I really feel for what you're going through and know that my support is there, whether you're online or not. ~Kimberly

--------------------

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Mar 5 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #17

I sure wish I could report good news. I have none. Kitty is still not home, and I have about given up the search. I was very busy with my kids the past month, simultaneously with Jax's missing, and I just couldn't emotionally give it my all, the search efforts. I have emailed a pet communicator but not replied. I'm not ready for what I feel will be bad news. It was with Toonces. So, I know I could put up more flyers and place an ad, make calls, but I just can't. I just can't. I know I should but it tears me up to do it. I've been down this road, all too recently.
Now my marriage is falling apart. I am completely sad. I feel so alone. I hate this, if I had the cat at least I would have THAT to lean on. But nothing.
I just saw a cat in the road near our house tonight after I picked up my son from an event, and had to stop and back up and check. Not Jax. I still hear things and think it's him bounding through the woods, but no nightly vigils anymore.
OTher cats come into my yard and telepathically I ask them, " Do you know where Jax is? Can you bring him home?" NO luck yet.
I guess I might be in touch with the pet lady. At least that might let me know if I should search or not. But last time I coulnd't accept it and I searched anyway....
I guess I was skeptcial or in denial and coulnd't let go. IT's easier not knowing somehow.... like there's a chance. It's stupid, I know...
well, just thought i"d check back in.
how is the new kitty you found on the interstate?
Joani

+Quote Post
Zita'sMom
post Mar 6 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #18

Joani

I can relate to what you are going through. I got to a point where I was so torn up about Zita that I needed confirmation somehow (and I spent a fortune on animal communicators). For awhile I could really not accept she was gone without some evidence. My whole being was immersed in her loss and I know the heartache of putting up posters when you think your cat might be dead (on this plane as you said). There are still some posters of my Zita up that are fading and ripped.

I spoke to animal communicators and mediums, and not all agreed. I did get the confirmation I needed that she was in spirit though. Even so, I think each person has to come to their own resolve about whether you reach acceptance of the loss or how you handle it. Someone suggested to me to put up a memorial for my Zita, but that's something I can't do. It is so different than having lost my elderly dog and cat and it almost feels like that would be letting her go for good. It might not make sense but these things often don't.

Each time I have lost a pet I seem to have gone through a number of personal difficulties and losses myself. I don't know why this is, and it is definitely not easy. Our pets are our one source of unconditional love which is why it seems so especially unfair. I can only think that this sort of major upheaval in one's life is a kind of wiping clean the slate for the future. Not for good or bad, just accepting what is. Sometimes traumatic things that happen set you on a new path in a different direction; one that sparks new growth and brings new vision. I don't mean to sound Pollyanna, it doesn't make the pain any less. But when I think of some of the more painful things I have gone through in my life I can look back and see how one incident made something else possible, and one tragedy created a new and different situation.

I send Zita love all the time even though I don't have her in the physical anymore. I look at the pictures of her smiling little face and I remember her love. I believe this love lives beyond life itself.

Jan.

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Jun 8 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #19

Things are good with me. Jax has still not come home, we have no idea what happened to him. Marriage is fine, kids are good. Health is good. Busy with life. Now I feed stray cats in my yard just to see kitties! I figure this is a good compromise and it gives me pleasure. I think they are wild, and there are a lot in our area. I began this as I thought I saw Jax one day behind the shed but he was nervous, so I put out food, and instead other cats came. Two are calico pretty mangy looking but they wont' come near me, and they are happy for the food and water, and I am equallly happy to feed and watch them from inside. THey hear me put out the food and come running so i guess this is what I should be doing.
I am off for a summer vacation in a couple weeks so I might ask my neighbor to take over.
Just wanted to say hey, and let you all know how I was doing.
Never did call the commuicator or do the newspaper ad, I just could't bear to do the whole gamut again. I figure he was hurt or got in a car and is having a great life with someone. He was so sweet that anyone will love him.
Joani

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Nov 22 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #20

Well, it's been awhile. Still no good news about either of the kitties. Even the strays aren't coming by that often. I think they have a circuit of people feeding them actually. I just decided to check out how things are going with people. My son saw that I was on a forum and wanted to read some. It makes me sad to relive the whole thing about Toonces particularly.
I do have one black cat, think it was the one that I first saw last spring thinking it was Jax, that shows up now and then. Smaller and definately not Jax, but enough to keep me thinking just a little, that maybe,... just maybe... he's out there somewhere.
We are NOT getting another pet for awhile, it's just TOO MUCH pain to even open ourselves up to.
Well, I'll keep checking up on you all and I will for sure let you know if I break down and get another kitty. I really plan to get a collar this time. I HAD one for Jax, but he was such a climber that without a breakaway collar I didn't dare put it on. I got busy and complacent.
I just have a feeling that he got hurt somehow, like a snake or something. I guess there are some predators around, but I had cats for years as many others have that live practicaly outdoors all the time around here. WHo knows! Must be some reason bigger than I can figure out why this all happened.
Take care,
Joani

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:32 AM