Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lancelot In The Hospital
moon_beam
post Jan 28 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #41

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Kel, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Lancelot's check up went today. I can so understand your disappointment with the partial remission diagnosis when your and your husband's hearts, and ours, was hoping for FULL remission. Still, there is very good news that his liver and lymph nodes appear "normal" and that he is gaining weight. These are very good indicators. And you are SO RIGHT when you share with us: "6 months remission doesn't necessarily mean 6 months *left*."

So, what is the protocol now - - does he continue with chemotherapy with a 3 month check up? I know you and your husband know each day is a blessing with your precious Lancelot, and he knows each day is precious with his Forever Mom and Dad, and housemates. Please know you, your precious Lancelot, and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers, Kel, and that I look forward to knowing how each of you are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jan 28 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #42

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,464

Kel, thanks for updating us on how Lancelot's checkup went. I was thinking of you today and was hoping that you would get good news. And as you said, it was largely good news, even if it wasn't what you were wanting to hear. It doesn't mean that he can't or won't improve. Just give it some time. I think it's wonderful that he is doing so much better and that he has gained weight. And you are right when you say that 6 months doesn't necessarily mean "6 months left". Stay positive and give your sweet kitty boy lots of lovin'. Just take it one day at a time. I will keep you and Lance in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
DannysMom

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Feb 9 2013, 08:27 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 7,510

Hi, all.

First off, let me start out by saying things are fine with Lancelot. This week wasn't as good as some others, but it was still pretty ok. He's had a little diarrhea, and a few days where he drank a bit more than normal. He was a little crabby on Thursday, and between that and the drinking, we had our primary vet check his labs. Everything on the labs was just fine.

I'm just a nervous wreck about him. With the big snowstorm we had in New England, I was stuck at work overnight last night, and I was just beside myself. Add that to the fact that we have a bad history around storms... Pippin got sick around Halloween 2011 when there was a huge snowstorm and we lost power, and then this all started with Lance last Halloween right after another big storm (Sandy)... I've been terrified. I'm having a lot of trouble managing my anxiety right now, and I have to take the time to acknowledge that having a cat with cancer is hard work. I love him, and I am so glad to have the opportunity to have Lancelot in my life and to care for him... but it's work. And I live in constant fear of the "what if" and "when." I'm not sure how to cope with it.

Realistically, he's doing fine. His ultrasound was less than two weeks ago, and showed a partial remission. He's eating really well. He's perky, active... he was waiting for me at the basement door when I got home from work today, after I was stuck there overnight. He played with me quite vigorously right away, too! Yes, he had a little diarrhea, but I need to just chill... and I'm not sure how.

Thanks so much for letting me unburden. I don't know what else to do.

--------------------

When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that, in truth, you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Feb 11 2013, 07:09 PM
Post #44

Oh Kel, I'm so sorry to hear about you being a nervous wreck. I've had a rough week myself, and I know how the similar circumstances of Lance getting ill can stress you out even more. It's understandable that you were so concerned about Lance when the big snowstorm hit and you were stuck at work overnight. Even though the bad weather didn't cause Pippin or Lance to get sick I can very well understand how a bad weather even can cause you anxiety and have you worried. I'm so sorry that you are going through this and I wish I could help. We are not meant to carry these heavy burdens. I know you've said before you're not religious and that's okay, but I find a lot of comfort in giving my heavy burdens to God and letting him deal with them. You can only do so much and you need your strength as your job is very demanding. You're not supposed to be superwoman and it's okay to ask for help. I hope that Lancelot will continue to improve. I will keep you and Lance in my thoughts and prayers. Try to find some time to just relax and unwind and be kind to yourself. You're doing the best you can for Lance and he is getting the best care. Try not to think about the "what ifs". Today has enough trouble of it's own, and tomorrow will take care of itself. We can only take things one day at a time. If we think too far ahead we burden ourselves with things we're not meant to carry. All the best to you and Lance! smile.gif

Hugs,
DannysMom

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Feb 12 2013, 12:11 PM
Post #45

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Lancelot are doing. You and your precious boy are always frequently in my thoughts and prayers, and especially over recent days.

Like DannysMom I can so understand how stressed you were when you were stranded at the hospital during the blizzard. It is hard focusing on the task immediately before us when our hearts and minds are filled with worry and long to be with our loved ones - - of every life form. I can just hear your precious Lancelot when you were finally able to get home: "Mommy's home!! HURRAY!!"

I can also understand your anxiety about your precious boy. Even though he is doing well, you are still on the Anticipatory Grief roller coaster ride where the good days are exceptionally good, but any change - - such as a bout of diarrhea - - can cause alarm and fear in your heart. You were very wise to get him checked out by his primary veterinary care provider, and hope the results of the tests have helped to restore some peace to your heart and mind.

One of the many things you need to remember is that you are not alone in your journey with your precious Lancelot. Although you are a nurse by profession this does not mean that you "should be" strong enough to cope with this stress of your precious Lancelot's illness alone. Please know each of us are here for you for as long and as often as you need us to share this journey with you - - the really good days, the not so bad days, and the days when your precious Lancelot may not be feeling his best - - AND the days when YOU need to share whatever is in your heart and on your mind.

Thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Lancelot is doing. Will he be seeing his oncologist again for a check up, and if so, do you know when that will be?

Kel, please know you, your precious Lancelot, and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to sharing with you how you and your precious boy are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Feb 12 2013, 07:31 PM
Post #46

Danny's Mom and Moon_beam, thank you. We got a great checkup at the oncologist yesterday, but today's been a hard day. We increased his phenobarb around the vincristine (one of his chemo drugs) doses. We gave him the first higher dose last night. He didn't really want to play, which I attributed to being at the vet and the higher dose of pheno. This morning, he refused food and treats. So we talked to the oncologist and gave him Cerenia orally to help in case he had nausea. After that, we found he had vomited overnight. sad.gif I guess the Cerenia was a good thing, in that case. He ate a bit after he had the Cerenia, but then he got very sleepy this afternoon. Almost lethargic, not really wanting to wake up.

We talked to the neurologist, who says sometimes that happens when increasing a pheno dose. Usually it subsides after the first two weeks - but we're only increasing the dose for the five days after he gets vincristine. He'd never get to the "adjusted" point of things, so we're going back to his normal dose, and praying that helps. My husband and I talked it over, and the neurologist and I did as well - better to risk a seizure than to have him sedated and miserable constantly. A seizure affects his quality of life less than five days of sedation/lethargy. I refuse to compromise his quality of life that much.

So, he's waking up a bit now, and he's moved to a few different spots in the house, which is good. I'm glad to see he's been up and walking around a little. He's still sleepy, though. He also didn't really seem overly interested in food... not even chicken breast, which is one of his favorite things. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

I'm scared Lance is fading away from me. I don't think that's reasonable just yet, but it's my biggest fear.

--------------------

When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that, in truth, you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Feb 13 2013, 04:04 PM
Post #47

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Lancelot are doing. I can so understand your fears when you share with us: "I'm scared Lance is fading away from me. I don't think that's reasonable just yet, but it's my biggest fear." I TOTALLY agree with your decision to resume the pheno med at the original dose - - fiddling around with meds at this critical point can cause more difficulties than the benefit they offer.

I hope your precious boy is doing better today, my friend. I know seeing him more alert and active will help you to breathe easier once again. Please know you, your precious Lancelot, and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to sharing with you how you and your precious boy are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Feb 14 2013, 01:59 AM
Post #48

The briefest of updates, because I'm so very tired - I was up until 4 AM yesterday, and worked all evening tonight. At 4 AM, Lancelot snuggled up in bed with us the way he normally does, crawling under my husband's blankets and starting to knead and suckle his favorite blanket... it's lined with white fur, so it must remind him of his mama! I knew he was feeling better when he did that. And oh, to hear his sweet purr again - bliss. I cried all over Lance because I was so happy to hear him purring and see him feeling well enough to snuggle. (When he's not feeling well, Lance just wants his space.)

Today, Lancelot was his normal self. He ate wonderfully, has been drinking, using his litterbox (no diarrhea, huzzah!) and even playing. Tomorrow's another day, but today was a good one.

--------------------

- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Feb 14 2013, 12:32 PM
Post #49

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, thank you so very, very much for sharing with us how your precious Lancelot and you are doing. My heart is soaring with yours with this EXCELLENT news!! I hope today is treating you, your precious boy, and your husband kindly, my friend, and please know I look forward to sharing with you how you and your precious Lancelot are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Feb 21 2013, 12:36 AM
Post #50

Another update - Lancelot bounced back last Wednesday and has been doing great for the past week. He's his usual, feisty self. I was at work tonight, but my husband (who works from home) said that every five minutes, Lance was yelling for him to come play. Hee! I also joined a feline lymphoma yahoo mailing list, and it's been so helpful to hear stories from people who have cats with lymphoma that have surpassed the six month mark that vets tell you, when you get the diagnosis. So I'm trying to be cautiously hopeful - and for now, he's so happy and playful, eating well.. Again, I really can't ask for more.

Also, weirdly enough, Lancelot and my other big boy, Karma, have decided they get along. ?!?!! smile.gif They'd been better, but we still weren't letting them out together, which meant lots of cat shuffling, closing doors, taking turns putting one of them in the bedroom, switching... ugh. After Lance had that one rough day last week, for some reason, they are now fine with each other. Karma was acting worried about Lance that day. I know it sounds weird, but Karma kept pacing and trying to check on Lancelot that day - it's what Karma does when I'm upset and he's worried about me! Since then, we've been able to leave them out together almost all the time, and there have been no real arguments. What a relief and blessing! I was so afraid Lance wouldn't be around long enough for this to happen.

Thank you, again, for everything! I hope I can post another good update soon. smile.gif

--------------------

- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Feb 21 2013, 03:02 PM
Post #51

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, thank you so very, very much for sharing with us how your precious Lancelot, you, and your precious Karma are doing. I am soooo thrilled to share your news that your precious Lancelot is doing really well and is feeling really well. I know your heart is soaring, and I share your joy.

It sounds like your precious Karma has been keeping tabs on his brother's health crisis, and is now assuming the role of comforter and caregiver for Lancelot. He know you love Lancelot very much, and he knows you love him, too. There is no need for "sibling rivalry" anymore - - although there may be times when "seniority" will need to be reaffirmed. I know seeing your precious Lancelot and Karma together is a prayer answered for you, and adds to your joy about how well your precious Lancelot is doing.

I am also very glad you have found a feline lymphoma support group online to give you hope and encouragement to know that the "prognosis" is not an exact science but rather a conservative guideline.

Thank you again so very much for sharing your wonderful news with us, Kel. I hope today is treating you, your precious Lancelot and Karma, and your husband kindly, my friend, and please know I look forward to sharing with you how you and your precious Lancelot are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Feb 21 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #52

Kel, this is good news all around! I know joining the support group will help you...just to be able to share with and get support from people going through the same thing. It makes you feel not so alone in all this. It always helps to have a good support network. How wonderful that Karma has warmed up to Lance and was trying to check on Lancelot. I know this must make you so happy to see your kitty boys get along. It's nice that Karma is getting so protective and being a good big brother. And I know you're so happy that Lance has bounced back and is his feisty self. smile.gif Thanks for sharing with us, and you know we look forward to your updates.

Just take things day by day. Treasure each day that you have with Lance and make the most of it. Give him all the lovin' and attention he can stand. Don't try to look too far ahead into the future, just enjoy the time that you have with Lance. Each day, each moment is a precious gift and meant to be enjoyed.

Hugs,
DannysMom

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Feb 25 2013, 06:25 PM
Post #53

Another update... Today's the start of week 16 of Lance's chemotherapy! We saw the oncologist 1st thing this morning, and she seems really pleased with how he's doing. His weight was up yet again, which means he's starting to be a little chubby, even. The oncologist considers that a mark of a cat who's doing ok with his cancer. He got vincristine today, which is the med he had a hard time with last week, but we're also not upping his phenobarb dose this time, to see if that helps. We started premedicating with the antinausea med last night, in hopes that we can get ahead of any nausea. She also dropped the dose a teeny bit, though it's still in the normal dose range for a cat his size. The oncologist also says his physical exam is "normal." Additionally, his bloodwork remains normal.

So, now, we go to seeing the oncologist every 3 weeks. We're doing his prednisolone once a day, instead of twice a day, starting today. The plan is to check another ultrasound in 6 weeks, to see where we're at.

We're continuing to enjoy every day with Lance, and I'm definitely trying not to think ahead. There's no point, really. I spent three months freaking out about Pippin, and it still didn't change that we lost him. I spent so much time anxious about him that I didn't enjoy those last months as much as I could have... I won't be doing that with Lance.

--------------------

- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Feb 26 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #54

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, thank you so very much for sharing with us your wonderful news on how your precious Lancelot and you are doing. I am soooo very thrilled to share your news that the oncologist is pleased with his progress, that his blood work remains normal, and that he is continuing to gaini weight. All of these are very good indicators for him indeed.

From what you have shared with us, according to my calculations with the calendar the next ultrasound will take place sometime during the week of April 8, and his next oncology visit will be during the week of March 18. I know as the week of April 8 draws near you will be anxiously anticipating knowing the results, as we will be waiting with you. Even though you and your husband are the ones coping with the reality of your precious Lancelot's illness and treatments 24 / 7, I truly hope and pray you know in your hearts beyond all shadow of a doubt that you are not alone in your journey.

Thank you again so very much for sharing your wonderful news with us, Kel. I hope today is treating you, your precious Lancelot and Karma, and your husband kindly, my friend, and please know I look forward to sharing with you how you and your precious Lancelot are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Feb 26 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #55

Kel, thanks for sharing with us about Lance's progress. This is very good news, especially that he's gained weight. I know that makes you feel so much better. Hopefully he'll do better this time around with the dose of vincristine. He is such a brave little kitty boy, and I know you're proud of him. Try to stay positive and just love him and give him the best care. I will keep you and Lance in my thoughts and prayers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Mar 16 2013, 03:32 PM
Post #56

Danny's Mom and moon_beam, thank you so much as always for your continued thoughts of us here. Lancelot is doing pretty well right now. He didn't have any seizures with this last dose of vincristine, and he got his cytoxan last week, which he typically tolerates pretty well. He's been eating well since, playing and being a very normal Lancelot. As a matter of fact, he's currently lounging around after a vigorous round of laser pointer play. smile.gif

We're back to the oncologist Monday, for the start of week 19. For now, let me share a picture of Lancelot being Lancelot. smile.gif

--------------------

- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Mar 16 2013, 05:28 PM
Post #57

Kel, this is a great picture of Lance! He is sooo precious! What a beautiful kitty boy. I know you're pleased that he is doing so well. How is he getting along with Karma? I hope there haven't been any spats between the two. This picture clearly shows that Lancelot is loved and well cared for. Please let us know how his next visit with the oncologist went.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Mar 17 2013, 10:44 AM
Post #58

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Lancelot is doing. Like DannysMom, I am sharing your joy that he is doing so well. Thank you also for sharing this wonderful picture of your precious little boy - - there is no doubt from the expression in his eyes that he knows he has his own very special place in your heart. In fact he looks quite pleased with himself!!! (as well he should!!!)

I hope all goes well on Monday and am hoping that the doctor can give you more good news to fill your heart even more. Please let us know how things go.

I hope today is treating you, your precious Lancelot and Karma, and your husband kindly, my friend, and please know I look forward to sharing with you how you and your precious Lancelot are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Mar 19 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #59

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, just stopping by to say hello to you and your precious Lancelot, and letting you know that I'm wondering how things went yesterday with the oncologist. Please know your precious Lancelot, you, your husband, and your precious Karma are in my thoughts and prayers, and look forward to sharing your news whenever possible.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Mar 20 2013, 12:14 AM
Post #60

As always, thank you so much for all the kind thoughts for my furry family. Moon_beam, thank you for asking how the appointment went. My little chunky monkey is up to 13.2 lbs!! His baseline weight was around 12 lbs, and he was about 10.5 when we adopted him last April. The oncologist thinks he looks "great." His blood counts are still ok, and his exam remains normal. He got adriamycin this time, which normally doesn't do terribly with. The plan is still to do an ultrasound in another 3 weeks.

In the meanwhile, Lancelot is being his usual self. He ate wonderfully today, and he's been very playful. It's hard to believe that next month, we'll have had him for a year. I didn't think he'd make it to our one year Lance-a-versary. Also, next month is his six month checkup with his neurologist, another landmark we didn't think we'd make.

Finally, the oncologist was telling us that she'd just heard from the owners of a cat who she'd treated eight years ago, who was FeLV positive like Lance - they'd moved to Canada, and fallen out of touch partway through treatment. It turns out that kitty is still around and still in remission! It's so good to hear the good stories, you know? (Also, she must have been pretty happy with how Lance is doing to even *mention* that to us.)

So, that's the update - all good news, for now! Go, Lancey, go!!

--------------------

- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:48 AM