Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Missy Is Very Sick--advice Needed
luvmypets
post Nov 13 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 4,895

My 15 year old cat, Missy, was diagnosed with a Mass the size of a Fist near her Intestines. This is a very large mass considering she’s only about 9 pounds. The cytology came back NO cancer cells, but the Vet seems to think it is cancerous. She had her annual checkup in July (cbc etc) and all tests came back normal, so this mass must have grown very quickly. The main reason we brought her back to the Vet was I noticed she was using the Litter box a lot more often than normal, so my fear was she was going into Kidney Failure – but the recent tests indicate her Kidney Function is normal.

I guess my main question is does anyone here have any experience with this type of Tumor? We’re considering surgery but are torn because we’re not sure if the Surgery will do more harm than good. We're afraid this Tumor will kill her if it continues to grow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. She's so cute and we love her so much. A tiny little Tuxedo cat--still so happy and playful you'd never know there was anything wrong with her.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Nov 13 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #2

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, luvmypets, please permit me to offer you my sincerest comfort and support in this time of great concern about your precious Missy's health crisis. There are many factors to consider for surgery: Her age is one - - which makes her more fragile for anesthesia.

If the cytology was done on an aspirate of the tumor instead of doing a surgical biopsy then yes - - the aspirate COULD show a "negative" result to cancer. I, too, would be very suspicious about the tumor having cancer properties because of its sudden growth and mass.

The question that you need to ask your vet is their guidance about your precious Missy being able to endure the surgery. This is MAJOR INVASIVE surgery that will require extensive recovery. IF the tumor continues to grow, then yes - - your precious Missy will eventually succumb to the blockage on her intestines - - even if the tumor is benign. If you give permission for your precious Missy to have the surgery, there is the possibility that the mass has already caused damage that the surgeon may need your permission to not allow your precious Missy to wake up.

I do understand how painful this is for you, as my precious Noah was recently operated on for what turned out to be a twisted intestine. I had the vet put a DNR on his chart and told her, if the damage is too much for the surgeon to believe that Noah had a good chance of recovery, that he was not to be allowed to wake up - - to call me and let me know what is found during the surgery. Your precious Missy has a very serious condition that - - if your precious Missy is to survive - - needs surgical intervention - - that's the bottom line. The concern of course is if the vet believes she is strong enough to endure the surgery. You will only know for sure by speaking with the vet and making as an informed decision as you possibly can.

Luvmypets, I truly am so sorry you and your precious Missy are going through this health crisis. Please know you and your precious girl are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how things go.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Nov 13 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #3

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

our dog has a tumor the size of a softball just below his right shoulder. he is an old dog, is in decent health otherwise. it doesn't seem to bother him, so the vet just recommended the tumor stay in place until he passes on.

it comes down to quality of life and if the animal isn't suffering or in pain or having issues with bathroom or eating. if the tumor came back benign, not sure why the doctor thinks it is still cancerous. if missy was our cat, i would do the same as we are doing for our dog. monitor quality of life and make the tough decision when the time actually comes.

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

While all people here help each other, there are
times where an advanced degree of help may be needed.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or consumed
by grief, it is always best to seek professional help.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Nov 13 2012, 04:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,464

QUOTE (luvmypets @ Nov 13 2012, 04:30 PM) *
My 15 year old cat, Missy, was diagnosed with a Mass the size of a Fist near her Intestines. This is a very large mass considering she’s only about 9 pounds. The cytology came back NO cancer cells, but the Vet seems to think it is cancerous. She had her annual checkup in July (cbc etc) and all tests came back normal, so this mass must have grown very quickly. The main reason we brought her back to the Vet was I noticed she was using the Litter box a lot more often than normal, so my fear was she was going into Kidney Failure – but the recent tests indicate her Kidney Function is normal.

I guess my main question is does anyone here have any experience with this type of Tumor? We’re considering surgery but are torn because we’re not sure if the Surgery will do more harm than good. We're afraid this Tumor will kill her if it continues to grow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. She's so cute and we love her so much. A tiny little Tuxedo cat--still so happy and playful you'd never know there was anything wrong with her.

Luvmypets, my heart goes out to you. I have a female Tuxedo cat, and I know how special the Tux cats are. I think that maybe you've answered your own question. You said you're afraid that the tumor will kill her if it continues to grow. And it seems to be pressing on her kidneys or bladder, maybe that's why Missy is using the litter box more than usual. I would opt for surgery if the vet thinks that given her age it would still be an acceptable risk. I hope this helps.

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

+Quote Post
luvmypets
post Nov 15 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,895

Thank you so much for your compassion and responses DannysMom, Moon Beam and LS Support.

We spoke to the Vet last night and he does not think surgery is a good option. He is almost positive it is Cancer (for various reasons) and he said even if she survives the Surgery, we could lose her a few days later because she is sick and the anesthesia and surgery could throw her whole system out of Balance. He said he’s seen this happen before. So, we decided to take his advice and not put her through it.

Instead, we’ll just keep her happy and comfortable until she starts to show symptoms and she’ll let us know she’s ready to go. I’m also looking into some Holistic medicine (?)— I’m probably just grasping at straws.

I’m beyond heartbroken over this—she’s been such a big part of our lives for so many years I can’t imagine life without her.

Thank you all again. I will keep you posted.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Nov 16 2012, 12:28 PM
Post #6

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, luvmypets, thank you so very much for sharing with us how you and your precious Missy are doing. I do so understand how devastated you are feeling about your "new reality" of beginning your Anticipatory Grief journey. Each moment of every day is now more precious, and I know you will do everything in your power to give your precious Missy all the love and attention you possibly can - - as this will be a blessing for the both of you.

This Anticipatory Grief journey is a roller coaster ride all of its own, but please know you are not alone. We are here for you through every step of your and your precious Missy's journey now - - as well as when your precious little girl joins the angels. Please know you and your precious Missy are in my thoughts and prayers, luvmypets, and please let us know how you both are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:11 AM