Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Me, Myself, And Loki, One dude, one cat
moon_beam
post Aug 18 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #21

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Chris, thank you so very much for sharing with us how you and your precious Loki are doing. CONGRATULATIONS on getting the funds from the Dept of Education, and on being able to afford better living quarters for you and your preciuos Loki. HURRAY!!!

You're doing the right thing on keeping an eye on Loki's eyes. Information on the super highway tells us worse case scenario. Like you, I'm hoping it's just a transient event and will resolve by itself.

I wish you and Loki every happiness in your new home, Chris, and the very best of good wishes in your studies. I hope you and Loki will have a very peaceful evening, and that tomorrow will go very smoothly with your move. Please know you and your precious Loki are in my thoughts and prayers, and look forward to knowing how you both are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leejaye
post Aug 18 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #22

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,103

Hey Chris, That's fantastic news about $ from Dept. of Education - I hope you and Loki find yourselves the perfect abode! Thanks for the pictures of him and Phantom, excellent smile value again! Purszi and I have fingers and tail crossed that Loki's eye issue is nothing to worry about, please let us know how it's going and give him his favourite pat for me Leejaye

+Quote Post
ChrisL
post Aug 26 2011, 03:04 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,167

Thanks once again for your replies, moon beam and leejaye.

Well, Loki and I made it up to my mom's house Sunday night. We somehow managed to cram about 3/4 of my stuff into a 5' x 8' storage unit, with the help of my friend who assisted me in schlepping and thus saved me the guilt of overworking my mother. Got the old apartment pretty clean - not smoking indoors, and not being a messy drunk while I lived there helped make it a much easier clean than that last few places. In the last couple days Loki has finally settled down here. In his world, it seems wherever he stays for a few days is home. He has been sleeping a lot -- I think he was pretty exhausted from the stress of moving out and the overstimulation of coming back up here. Now that he has this house pretty well mapped out, he can finally relax. He's found a few favorite spots. He gets supervised garden time a couple hours a day. It is so great to sit out there in the fresh air with him nearby. Violet allows Loki to approach her a few inches closer each day without growling. Then at night, we watch movies in the living room, me on the sofa, my mom on the loveseat, and Loki in the armchair.

I had a brief worry when he slunk off Monday evening. As opposed to Dzambala, who would dash out the door like orange lightning, he just nonchalantly strolls out, so you don't think anything of it. Then, getting distracted by something in the house - this time it was the buzzer on the dryer going off, coming in to fold my clothes, next I looked out, he'd vanished. We looked around for about 20 minutes, combed the whole house and grounds. Then he finally showed up about an hour later. He's not accustomed to the outdoors, and he was never known to go far except when he followed Dzambala. His lack of fear of strangers and inexperience kind of concern me - though I've had a few incidents before to show that his instincts are good enough to get him back home. My biggest concern is that he might get into something with a wild animal, and his shots are not up to date. So, in other words - no going out without direct supervision.

Anyhow, I get some time to relax. I just have a few loose ends before the fall term starts at the end of September, but otherwise can take it easy until we move the stuff out of storage into the new place.

Cheers,
Chris

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 26 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #24

Forum Moderator

Hi, Chris, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Loki are doing. So glad you made to your mom's place, and that your friend helped out with the storage of belongings.

I'm glad you're only giving Loki "supervised" quality garden time. Even if his vaccinations were up to date you still would not want him wandering off with the potential of getting into a situation that he would not be favorable for him. It has been 15 years since I last moved -- thank goodness - - but I do so remember how hard my furkids assisted me with supervising the packing, the loading of things into the car and the moving van, the unloading, the unpacking. They were truly exhausted until the last box was unloaded and removed from the living quarters. I hope you have been able to put a deposit on the :upgraded" living quarters, and will look forward to knowing how things go for you and Loki moving into your new digs and getting settled in.

Chris, your beloved Dzambala is so very proud of you - - I hope you know that - - and he will be with you in your endeavors to obtain your Masters, cheering and encouraging you every step of the way. I hope you and your precious Loki will have a very peaceful evening with your mom and Violet, and that each of you will have a very pleasant weekend. Please know you and your precious Loki are in my thoughts and prayers, Chris, and look forward to knowing how you both are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
leejaye
post Aug 26 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #25

Hi Chris, I think that's the worst part of moving - the cleaning at the end! Glad it went smoothly for you and that you should have some time to relax before getting back into the study world...Loki sounds like he is enjoying the garden time (supervised for sure) now he has settled in - Mischief and I moved house quite a few times, so long as she was with me she didn't care where she was, I think she would have lived in a cardboard box quite happily if I had decided to take up residence in one! I hope Violet is nice to him, especially since you said he seems a bit scared of girls...Purszi is yelling at me for his outside time (also supervised) so I better go, thanks so much for letting us know how you and Loki are, I look forward to your next update!! Take care and give Loki and Violet their favourite pats for me (does Phantom live there too? if so, pats for him too!), have a great weekend Leejaye

+Quote Post
ChrisL
post Sep 1 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #26

Thanks moon_beam, leejaye

Having a semi-lovely day. Just about perfect weather here on the hill by the Columbia, about 75 F and not a cloud in the sky. I am sitting on the comfy loveseat on the patio. Loki is presently sleeping on the pavement under a chair. Violet just came over the fence from outside the side garden, hissed at Loki, and went back over. She really doesn't care for him, especially since he seems to have lost most of his fear of her and wants to make friends. So he's been violating her personal space, which is currently about a 2-3 yard radius, and she won't have it.

The only thing that's preventing this day from being fully lovely are the bureaucrats at my University. Just when I thought I'd jumped through all the hoops a couple more pop up. They are giving me a headache over transferred coursework. I have a BS in Physics and they are actually telling me I am missing a term of General Physics?! It's required for my new major in Chemistry so I can be officially admitted into the master's program. Anyhow, I'll probably be able to resolve it but it is going to mean yet another packet of paperwork, probably another signature from some other rubber-stamper who isn't back from vacation yet. I hate how this stuff eats up time and energy when I just want to get on with doing some actual science.

Anyhow, life goes on...

Peace,
Chris

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Sep 1 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #27

Forum Moderator

Hi, Chris, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Loki are doing. Bureaucracy - - ain't it grand???? So sorry you're having to jump through these hoops. I have found when I have attempted to take various college courses that each facility has its own recognized courses to obtain a degree. And if they determine that your existing credits do not "match up" to their requirements, and if you want to take courses with them to continue to pursue your field of interest, then you have to take the courses to "make up" for their determined "deficiency." It's part of their mandate to justify the professor's salary in that particular area of interest and the curriculum they offer for the degree you want. I so agree with you, Chris: "I hate how this stuff eats up time and energy when I just want to get on with doing some actual science." Please let us know how things go for you.

So Miss Violet is playing "hard to get" with Loki? Poor little Loki - - all he wants to be is friends. Hppefully Violet will come to accept him before you and your precious boy head into your new chapter together.

Chris, it's always good to share your news as to how you and Loki are doing. I do hope that all works out with the registrar and that you will be able to "get on with doing some actual science." Please know you and your precious Loki are in my thoughts and prayers, and look forward to knowing how things are going for the both of you.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
leejaye
post Sep 1 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #28

Hey Chris, Hmmm, Violet sounds like Mischief not just in looks but in nature also - the hissing at Loki really reminds me of her, I really think she had a firm belief that she was the only cat in the world, so she could be quite rude to other cats... poor Loki, I hope he's not taking it to heart when he just wants to be friends... ah the joy of the bureacracy, good luck with the paperwork - I hope they can get it sorted quickly for you so you have some time to completely relax with Loki, hope the world is nice to both of you today Leejaye

+Quote Post
ChrisL
post Sep 6 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #29

Since Violet has been coming into my anecdotes, I thought I'd share a picture, below, which I took just a couple hours ago.

Violet came into my life at the age of 6 weeks in the spring of my junior year in high school. We adopted her and her brother Vimmy at the same time. The two of them were inseparable with complementary personalities. Violet was always the dignified, independent, and territorial one, whereas Vimmy was the clownish, playful puppy trapped in a kitten's body. During one terrible week a few days after I had been involved in a car accident that claimed the life of the other driver, Vimmy was hit by a car near our home. He was only 8 months old. For a long time there was a part of me that felt some cruel force had punished him for my negligence. (It took me even longer to accept that the accident was just that, but that is another story). Nevertheless, deprived of the cheerful presence of Vimmy, I drew even closer to Violet's calm dignity and quiet affection.

Violet mourned Vimmy's passing in the usual way, but like so many animals was much more resillient than us humans. A few months later, my mother brought home the black and white boy, Phantom, who immediately picked up playing fetch with elastic hair-ties just as Vimmy had done.

The two of them have been a part of the family, the two kids who never left my mother's house, ever since. Whenever I come to visit, there they are, and for now I can't imagine it any other way.

+Quote Post
ChrisL
post Sep 6 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #30

As far as life today, summer has finally come to the northwest. Looks like a streak of 90s over the next several days is in store. I used to live in New Mexico, but it takes so little time to lose perspective living in such a mild climate. My last apartment was terrible because it was upstairs, with lots of west-facing windows, no air conditioning, and no cross ventilation. Mom's house stays relatively cool, though.

It looks like I was prematurely griping about my school transcript issues. I emailed my advisor in the Chemistry dept and apparently he can fix all those problems himself.

On the other hand, the timing of funds availability for moving into a new place is stressing me out a bit. I am going to view places toward the end of the week, hopefully I will know the specifics on the money by then, or at least by next Monday, which I figure is about the time it will take them to review my application. Not much more I can do about it at this point than crossing my fingers, though. I try not to worry when I've done everything in my power, but this anxiety is really deeply ingrained, it seems to run in my family. It makes it difficult to do anything that feels productive, like reading, so the best I can do is distract myself with cat watching.

Here is a new shot of the boys:

And Loki found another place to, well, be Loki:

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Sep 6 2011, 09:20 PM
Post #31

Forum Moderator

Hi, Chris, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and Loki are doing, and sharing Violet and Phantom, and your beloved Vimmy, with us. You are blessed to have cherished memories of Vimmy and your beloved Dzambala. And I can't really think of any better way to put things in perspective than to focus on our minds on whatever our precious companions may be doing at any given time - - even if it is to just be mesmerized by watching them sleep so peacefully.

I'm glad your advisor can help you with all the nonsense paperwork, and hope that things will work out for you and Loki in finding suitable lodging - - the lodging of your first choice.

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pictures of your Loki, and of Violet and Phantom. I hope you and your precious Loki will have a very pleasant evening, and good day tomorrow. Please know you and your Loki are in my thoughts and prayers, and look forward to knowing how things are going for the both of you.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
leejaye
post Sep 6 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #32

Hey Chris, Cat watching is a great distraction! Thanks for sharing Violet's story and another photo of her, she sounds more and more like Mischief. Mischief was also very dignified and quite lady like, she had a carefully delicate lady's walk, I have been laughing at the contrast with Purszi the last few days -he charges around, propelled by these big floppy feet that just seem to slap down...Fantastic news that your trek through the paperwork jungle has been averted, hopefully your housing hunt and funds coordinate themselves as neatly...I know I say it every time, but Loki is really such a photogenic cat! Thanks for the pics of him and Phantom, hope the weather lets you relax with them, please give them all a pat for me!! Leejaye

+Quote Post
ChrisL
post Sep 9 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #33

Thanks moon_beam, leejaye

So, it looks like I'm probably not getting one of the apartments I was thinking of before. I'm getting a better one!

The federal funds came through overnight. My deposit refund from my last place came in the mail today and they gave me everything back except for a small deduction for my portion of August's power bill, which I was expecting. I went down to the city to look at a studio today. It is about 2 miles from campus, as opposed to 6-7 miles that I was before. It is up on a hill behind the medical school, with a big, forested nature park a block away filled with hiking trails, about a mile walk to a panoramic hilltop view of the city and surroundings. Anyone who has seen Portland knows how awesome that is, especially when Mts. Hood and St. Helens are out of the clouds. It's got hardwood floors, a ceiling fan and north-south cross ventillation as well as bathtub, none of which my last two places had.
With the elevation and surrounding woods, it is a great bird watching area -- Loki is going to go nuts.

One other unique thing. I can take the regular old bus, which is only a 10 minute ride to school, or if I want to take a little more time, I can ride the aerial tram down the hill and walk or take the streetcar the rest of the way. Last but not least, it's not much more than I was paying before, and it's ready by next weekend so I have a week to get settled in before schools starts - and don't have to worry about crossing paths with my jerky step-dad when he comes back from his cabin.

Also today, I met my advisor and had those transcript issues settled. He also gave me some very useful (and encouraging) advice on my grad school plans.

This has been the best day in a long time.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Sep 9 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #34

Forum Moderator

Hi, Chris, thank you so very much for sharing with us how you and your precious Loki are doing. I am so VERY THRILLED at your news about your and Loki's new lodging and that your advisor was able to get those pesky transcript issues resolved. The views sound magnificent. I am so very happy for you and your precious Loki, and wish the very, very best for you in your new endeavors.

I hope you and Loki will have a very peaceful and blissful evening, Chris, and a wonderful weekend whatever you do. Please know you and Loki are in my thoughts and prayers, and am looking forward to knowing how you both are doing whenever possible.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
leejaye
post Sep 10 2011, 03:49 AM
Post #35

Hi Chris, Sounds like things are falling into place very nicely in your world - your new accommodation sounds perfect for you and for Loki, so glad you will have time to settle in before the study grind starts and get to avoid your step father!! Give Loki, Phantom and Violet a pat for me and I hope you have a lovely weekend now that you know you have everything sorted, Leejaye

+Quote Post
ChrisL
post Sep 13 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #36

Well, my plans hit a little snag. Someone with cash up front swooped in and rented that apartment out from under me. Luckily, the property has a nearly identical unit in a building across the street from the one I viewed, so it's no biggie. Only it won't be ready for move in until next Tuesday or Wednesday, so that puts the kibosh to moving this weekend and having the full week back in the city to unpack and get oriented before school starts. I had a feeling I should have offered to put down a deposit but I wasn't 100% decided at that point. Oh well, it should be fine. And it gives me this weekend to maybe do another hike before busyness commences.

Loki and Phantom have become buddies, if still a little reticent around each other. Loki was singing Violet a love song yesterday and following her. She stopped only to hiss a few times as she fled over the fence and out of the yard. I hope he does okay at home alone when I am at school and lab this fall.

Tomorrow I'm going down to talk to my research advisor. I'm pursuing a career in solar energy research, and I will finally be in a lab working with a group that is developing technology for the next generation of solar cells and solar hydrogen generation.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Sep 14 2011, 04:25 PM
Post #37

Forum Moderator

Hi, Chris, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Loki are doing. I'm glad you were able to find another suitable apartment. Does it have the same view - - or close to or better than the view - - as the other apartment does? I'm sure Loki will be just fine with his dad - - and there will always be visits home for him and Phantom and Violet to share each other's company.

Your studies sound so very interesting. I wish you the very best in your endeavors, Chris, and I know your beloved Dzambala is very, very proud of his dad.

I hope life is treating you and your precious Loki kindly, and that you will have a very peaceful evening. Please know you both are in my thoughts and prayers, Chris, and look forward to sharing your news.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
leejaye
post Sep 14 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #38

Hi Chris, A minor hiccup with your apartment, glad it was easily sorted...Great to hear Loki and Phantom are making friends - I love the idea of Loki singing to Violet, maybe his gentlemanly ways will wear down her resistance! My nephew has been involved with a solar car project at UNSW as part of his degree, it's definitley an industry for the future (and right now as a matter of fact)...enjoy your hike and give the cat tribe pats for me Leejaye

+Quote Post
ChrisL
post Sep 15 2011, 02:36 PM
Post #39

I want to thank you again, moon beam and leejaye for following and responding to my posts. This thread has been very therapeutic for me charting my course forward and sorting things out for myself and Loki. It wouldn't be the same without your responses to let me know someone is reading and to make it a conversation rather than just a journal. Left to my own devices talking to myself, I sometimes spiral off into pretty crazy places.

moon beam, out the window of either apartment, all you can see are trees, shrubs, and bits of other buildings. Which is pleasant enough but not breathtaking. The change of apartment doesn't make a difference there. There actually might be a good view to the east from this apartment - I won't know for sure until the huge tree there sheds its leaves. But there are great views along the short walk to the tram terminal, as well as on the tram itself, and points around the Oregon Health and Science University Campus and the rest of the hill top. The highest vantage point in Portland, on the next major hill to the west, is a 1.7 mile hike from my door - which I plan on doing regularly for exercise and spiritual rejuvenation.

Leejaye, I am surprised that you have a nephew in college. Surely he must be the son of a brother or sister who is much older than you wink.gif I'm aware that there is a lot of great research in solar energy going on at UNSW. In fact, I have considered applying there at several points, either for a PhD program or later on for a Post-doc. The cost and logistics of moving to Sydney would be difficult, but if I was accepted it would be totally worth it for the awesome opportunity, both in career terms and the life experience of spending some time outside of N America.

Today I feel fall in the air. It is cloudy and cool but hasn't started to rain yet. I can see a few yellow leaves on the trees. Hopefully there will be a few more sunny days for hiking before the rainy season kicks in. But summer is pretty much over. School is still a week and a half off, but I already have homework from my advisor! Articles to read, safety training tomorrow, group meeting next Wednesday. I'm going to take one of these articles outside and give Loki some garden time now.

Peace,
Chris

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Sep 15 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #40

Forum Moderator

Hi, Chris, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Loki are doing today. Sounds like you have a good location for lodging. Are you getting a bit anxious to move in and start making it "home sweet home" for you and Loki - - and your beloved Dzambala? Remember - - wherever you are he is with you, too.

Sounds like you're getting busy with your studies already -- getting a jump on articles and such to read. I am so thrilled for you and Loki with your new adventures ahead of you, and look forward to sharing how things are going for you both whenever possible.

I hope you and Loki are having a good day enjoying your mom's beautiful garden, and that Phantom and Violet will be kind to Loki as he shares their "space." Please know you and your precious Loki are in my thoughts and prayers, Chris, and look forward to sharing your news.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:29 PM