Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moving Soon: How Can I Prepare The Kittykids?, only home they've ever known
Mink&WillowsMom
post Jun 10 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 1,750

Hi everyone! Later this summer I'll be moving to the house across the street. Joyous thing! I have four cats, as you regulars know: Willow (6), Rohan (2), Luna (2), and Sable (8?). Sable was a runaway kitty I found on the freeway, so for her, to move from one house to the next will be no big deal. Feed her, give her sunshine to lie in, she's happy. But for the other three, this is the only house they've ever known. They don't have a concept that it could suddenly change. Everything in their world will change, except for me and the furniture.

In grad school, I moved 13 times in 12 years, so Tinsica and Cheddar thought it was no big deal. "Boxes again? Well, alright." I did learn that it sometimes helps to lock them in a single room at first, so when they finally do venture out, they have a 'safe zone' to retreat to.

Willow is SUCH a scaredy cat. Anything new scares him. Laundry on the floor scares him.
Rohan holds stress. Last year he got crystals, and it dang near killed him. He is doing well now, but you can understand my reluctance to see him go through stress.
Luna is quite resilient. She goes through periods of eating too much, but that's correctable.

My plan:
talk to them about it now, lots
plug in Feliway for the first month we're there
use flower essence
most them over last, after the bed goes over. We'll all move in the same day as a family.
keep them in the bedroom for the first day or two, until they relax and get curious about What's Beyond The Door.
the yard will be fenced, but I won't let them outside for a while, until they relax indoors. (Roh and Lun have never been outside yet at all.)

On a whim, last weekend I put Luna in the carrier and walked her over to the new house. On the way over, she started to meow, "MAMA!!" When I got to the house, I opened the door to the carrier, and she wailed, "MAMAMAMA NOOO! MAMA! MAKE IT STOP!" So, I immediately realized the error of my ways, and took her home.

Is there anything else you can think of that would help them with the transition?
Kim

--------------------
...You precious children, of four feet, whiskers, and mischief...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
katzen11
post Jun 19 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #2

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 3,125

QUOTE (Mink&WillowsMom @ Jun 11 2009, 06:13 AM) *
Is there anything else you can think of that would help them with the transition?
Kim

NO
sorry
You are one of the best catmothers I know
I remember all the photos You shared,
indoor, outdoor,
giving your kids the very best security
and making them feel free
a lot of possibilities to play, to have fun, and beeing loved so much
don´t worry
best wishes for Your new home
Eva