2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Poem For Brutus, My soulmate dog
smokey/lady/max
post Jan 14 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #21

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,258

The picutres you hung really complete your memorial to your Brutus looks so nice

Greatb job done
Anna
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Jan 27 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 6,235

Thanks Anna. I think I'm going to get my tattoo next week...I'll be sure to post it.

--------------------
****Sonya****

In loving memory of my soulmate, Brutus...never forgotten, always missed.

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
Black Lab and best friend
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
ABT
post Jan 27 2010, 06:37 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 6,342

QUOTE (Brutus @ Nov 23 2009, 04:02 AM) *
I lost my 13yr old black lab, Brutus, a week ago today. I am having a very difficult time with it. I've had many animals throughout my life that range from dogs, cats, horses, goats, birds..you name it I've had it. But never have I had an animal like Brutus. We had a very special connection. I wrote a poem the past couple days and finished it yesterday on his birthday. I am not an artsy type person, but it felt good to write it. I am no literary genius, just your average person who misses her dog so much it's hard to breathe. Anyhow I hope you like it, I framed it and it is on his shelf with his urn, pictures, 2nd fav toy (his fav went with him), his collar, and a candle. I will try to add a picture later. God I miss him so much.

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

My Soul Dog Brutus

There will never be another like you,
My Soul Dog that is true.

We could read each others mind, you and I,
What an honor to have you by my side.

I wish you didn’t have to go away,
I wish you at my feet, where you would always lay.

There isn’t a time I don’t remember you there,
I miss you so much it’s hard to bear.

Almost thirteen years ago we started our family,
It’s been a wonderful, full-filling journey.

Remember camping and canoeing in the backwoods?
I wish that’s something again we still could do.

You brought me back when I got us lost up north,
And how about that time at Muskegon fort?

Remember in Grayling, we all got stranded in the dunes?
It’s just not fair you have to leave us so soon.

Charity Island we did explore,
I wish we had time to do so much more.

Remember the Great Lakes and the U.P.?
God we had fun and lots we did see.

How about all those times at Hardy Dam?
We spent lazy days fishing and then we swam.

I will always remember these times so dear,
In my heart you will always be near.

You were my shadow, my rock, and my best friend,
You were loyal and loving to the very end.

We had a connection, you and I,
I’m sure one again I will never find.

I will never forget you, my Soul Dog Brutus, my dear friend,
I try to remember it’s not really the end.

We will see each other again of that I’m sure,
When my time is done and I am no more.

“Brutus”, I will call and I know you will come,
Together we can begin the journeys never done.

Sonya
How beautiful , Growing up I had two lab crosses and Brutus reminds me of them. they both went grey around the snout. He looks like such a good loyal friend. I feel your longing and missing of your best friend. I can imagine the bond. Such a bond I have with my sixteen year old cat who has been like my little dog who would greet me at the door when I came home, flop down and wait for her pat! or she would scurry away and make me chase her. She is still with me but I don't know how much longer. I remember when I had my dogs and I couldn't imagine life without them. I was younger then and now I am faced with the same prospect which I knew would ultimately come. But it is never easy. Seeing your Brutus makes me think of my late dogs who were such loving life savers back then for me. I feel for you and wish you strength.
Barb

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Jan 28 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #24

Thank you Barb for your kind words.

Sending prayers for you and your precious soul Kitty..I hope you have lots of more time with her.

Hugs,
Sonya

--------------------
****Sonya****

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Mar 9 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #25

A wonderful friend named Paul made this for us:

It is granite, about 18" long and 9" high. I really love it. I don't plan on burying Brutus' ashes so I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I was thinking putting it outside and making a sitting area around it with some flowers/shrubs. It's to heavy to hang it on the wall, it's about an inch thick. Any other ideas anyone can give me would be appreciated.

I still haven't gotten that tattoo I want...don't know why I'm putting it off...maybe I'm not ready yet...tattoos don't scare me...I already have 4, so that's not the problem...don't know what I'm waiting for, but I guess when the time is right it will happen.

Hugs to all,
Brutus' Mom

GO FISH POOH-MAN!

--------------------
****Sonya****

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
Cheryl83
post Aug 12 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 6,508

Sonya,

I was just browsing through some old posts and came across this thread. The poem you wrote for your dear Brutus is beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes. And the shelf is so touching. And the necklace. And as for Brutus himself... there are no words. Such a handsome boy. I love the pic of Brutus and Doug where Brutus has his head on Doug's shoulder. Brutus looks like a real human giving such a loving hug. And he looks so proud. He's clearly a special dog, and always will be. I can't believe I've never seen this thread before, but I just had to comment on it. I also thought it would be a good idea to bring it back up, since you've been talking about your tattoo again lately smile.gif

Thinking of you.

Cheryl x

--------------------
It broke our hearts to lose you, but you didn't go alone,
For parts of us went with you ... the day God called you home

My beautiful Angel, Daisy - I will love and miss you forever xx

+Quote Post
smokey/lady/max
post Aug 12 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 6,258

Sonya
I think that is a wonderful Idea you have to make a little garden with flowers and a little bench I can almost picture
it in my head. A place that you can go and just sit and think about the good times that you shared with your Brutus
maybe even do a little pond with the sound of running water since he loved the water with some Fish in it. Your Brutus
would be looking down just smiling and maybe even have a little sign made up by the pond saying go fish my Angel. Just a suggestion
keep us posted on what you do decide. Hope all is well I will keep you posted in a few weeks on my progress. I have not posted
anything here as of yet.

Hugs
Anna

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Aug 13 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #28

I was just browsing through some old posts and came across this thread. The poem you wrote for your dear Brutus is beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes. And the shelf is so touching. And the necklace. And as for Brutus himself... there are no words. Such a handsome boy. I love the pic of Brutus and Doug where Brutus has his head on Doug's shoulder. Brutus looks like a real human giving such a loving hug. And he looks so proud. He's clearly a special dog, and always will be. I can't believe I've never seen this thread before, but I just had to comment on it. I also thought it would be a good idea to bring it back up, since you've been talking about your tattoo again lately

Thankyou so much Cheryl....I love that pic too.

I think that is a wonderful Idea you have to make a little garden with flowers and a little bench I can almost picture
it in my head. A place that you can go and just sit and think about the good times that you shared with your Brutus
maybe even do a little pond with the sound of running water since he loved the water with some Fish in it. Your Brutus
would be looking down just smiling and maybe even have a little sign made up by the pond saying go fish my Angel. Just a suggestion

Those are great ideas Anna. I did put his stone in a garden area with wood chips around it, with flowers around it. The sun shines on it and all the pieces in the granite sparkle like crazy. It is by the steps going up the back porch to our other house and we walk by it all the time.

Anna, did you ever get your plate? I did get mine and it's on my car. It looks really good with my white car. I just used the same pic as my avatar (it's my fav)....anyhow, here it is before I put it on my car, it is covered in bugs now though.

I hope everyone is having good memories of your furbabies today and always.

Sonya

--------------------
****Sonya****

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Aug 27 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #29

I would like to thank everyone for your beautiful comments on my poem. I really did pour my heart and soul into it...the poem means the world to me...I have it framed and hung in both my houses. If anyone would like to use it or adjust it to their situation, feel free but please respect my soulmate by mentioning that the original poem was intended for Brutus. I am honored that someone would want to use the poem and I hope it comforts them.

Thanks,
Sonya

--------------------
****Sonya****

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
janika
post Aug 27 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 6,120

QUOTE (Brutus @ Nov 23 2009, 10:02 AM) *
I lost my 13yr old black lab, Brutus, a week ago today. I am having a very difficult time with it. I've had many animals throughout my life that range from dogs, cats, horses, goats, birds..you name it I've had it. But never have I had an animal like Brutus. We had a very special connection. I wrote a poem the past couple days and finished it yesterday on his birthday. I am not an artsy type person, but it felt good to write it. I am no literary genius, just your average person who misses her dog so much it's hard to breathe. Anyhow I hope you like it, I framed it and it is on his shelf with his urn, pictures, 2nd fav toy (his fav went with him), his collar, and a candle. I will try to add a picture later. God I miss him so much.

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

My Soul Dog Brutus

There will never be another like you,
My Soul Dog that is true.

We could read each others mind, you and I,
What an honor to have you by my side.

I wish you didn’t have to go away,
I wish you at my feet, where you would always lay.

There isn’t a time I don’t remember you there,
I miss you so much it’s hard to bear.

Almost thirteen years ago we started our family,
It’s been a wonderful, full-filling journey.

Remember camping and canoeing in the backwoods?
I wish that’s something again we still could do.

You brought me back when I got us lost up north,
And how about that time at Muskegon fort?

Remember in Grayling, we all got stranded in the dunes?
It’s just not fair you have to leave us so soon.

Charity Island we did explore,
I wish we had time to do so much more.

Remember the Great Lakes and the U.P.?
God we had fun and lots we did see.

How about all those times at Hardy Dam?
We spent lazy days fishing and then we swam.

I will always remember these times so dear,
In my heart you will always be near.

You were my shadow, my rock, and my best friend,
You were loyal and loving to the very end.

We had a connection, you and I,
I’m sure one again I will never find.

I will never forget you, my Soul Dog Brutus, my dear friend,
I try to remember it’s not really the end.

We will see each other again of that I’m sure,
When my time is done and I am no more.

“Brutus”, I will call and I know you will come,
Together we can begin the journeys never done.

Sonya, I hope you don't mind me posting this to the top of the board again. It's such a wonderful tribute and helped me so much last year, to see that I was not alone in my grief, and not the only one to have been so lucky to have known that wonderful bond that we share with our fur babies.
Hugs Jan and my Angels and Pixie xx

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Nov 16 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #31

My latest tribute to Brutus (also posted on death and dying support forum):

Today was a year, so hard to believe. I have thought about him every day...I laugh, I smile, and.... I still cry. Still miss him so much. You all know I was planning on a tattoo today, exactly a year....there was definately some hitches in that plan.

First...I spent the past few months (off and on) planning this tattoo...it was going to be 3 paw prints with fireworks and stars around them and his name (with blue and purple), possibly with dob and dod also (either on my wrist or my foot)....I kept messing with it and last night I just totally didn't like anything I had done (I did not want to go with something standard that all tattoo parlors do, it had to be something I designed). So at 10pm I started totally over...and I finished.

Next day (today, the day of my tat), parlor calls me at 10am to tell me the artist is sick and not in so they have to reschedule for Friday....no, no, no, no...IT HAS TO BE TODAY! They already had a rough sketch of what I wanted, which I totally changed anyway.

I called 9 tattoo parlors near me, 50 mile radius, (I like to go to ones I know so this is already not feeling good) and the last one I reached said he could do it tomorrow....I said, "you can't please squeeze me in today, today is special"...I told him about Brutus and he said, I have a black lab...can you be here by 3pm (it was around 2pm)...I said absolutely....I had no clue about this guys work, didn't have time to research him or the parlor....but it HAD TO BE TODAY.

....so I did it, and the artist was awesome and talked with me about Brutus and told me about his black lab, Renegade...I am so pleased. It is on the top of my left foot, fairly big since I am a size 10. I have 4 other tattoos and this by far was the most painful.....but so worth it.

Love you Brutus, you will be with me always...

This is just a couple hours old, so it's red, shiny and alittle swollen, but I love it and I'm so glad I had it done

I'm off to have a drink in the name of my very best friend....love you poohman!

--------------------
****Sonya****

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Nov 16 2011, 09:03 AM
Post #32

2 years today...we all toasted to you last night...still miss you so much....my love for you hasn't faded.

Till we meet again...GO FISH!

--------------------
****Sonya****

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Aug 6 2012, 06:28 AM
Post #33

Think of you every day Poohman

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
****Sonya****

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Nov 22 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #34

Last Friday was 3 years to the day when I lost a piece of my heart...today would of been your birthday...miss you daily and think of you constantly. Happy Birthday Poohman!

--------------------
****Sonya****

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
Gretta's Mom
post Nov 22 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 7,067

Dear Sonya

Your Brutus looks SO much like my Gretta, who left for the Perfect World almost two years ago. Even though Brutus is a black lab and Gretta is a chocolate lab, their faces look so much the same. Lab faces are miracles on this earth - kindness, gentleness, peace, dignity, warmth, ... well ... true love ... radiates from their beautiful eyes. We were blessed to have shared some of earthly lives with these gentle dogs. Brutus carries a piece of your heart and Gretta carries a piece of mine. One day we will be reunited in the big field in the sky.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours,

Gretta's mom

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Nov 23 2012, 10:03 AM
Post #36

Yes, they do look alike...Labs do have the sweatest faces. I often thought of getting another but right now is not the time. I do have two other dogs that help fill the gap that Brutus left, one is a mix and one a rat terrier.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Gretta's Mom...hugs to you.

--------------------
****Sonya****

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:57 AM