Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pain Management Info Needed
Steph
post Nov 30 2004, 08:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 363

Hi all,

It looks as though my Falkor will be ok for now.

However, he will probably need to switch to a new kind of pain medication for his arthritis. He was on Metacam since August, and seems to be reacting to it. I'm taking him for tests tomorrow to check it out closer.

Could anyone here tell me what experiences they have with different types of pain meds? Or with things such as glucosamine?

--------------------
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today."
- Watership Down, Richard Adams
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dietersmom
post Nov 30 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 473

Steph,
I'm so sorry to hear Falkor isn't feeling well. I just saw these posts about him. The only thing I have to add regarding pain management is to be careful if they suggest Rimadyl. My vet is always pushing this for arthritis and overall pain management and Dieter was very sensitive to it, in a negative way. For some dogs its been a miracle drug, but for others it's been deadly.

Hang in there and please keep us updated on his progress. I'm sending prayers your way, I know what a tough time this has been.

thinking of you and Falkor
Libby

--------------------
Dieter you will live in our hearts forever
May 25,1990 - September 8,2004

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."
-- Genesis 9:16

+Quote Post
Steph
post Nov 30 2004, 08:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 363

Thanks Dietersmom. I don't think I'll consider Rimadyl. The drug Falkor was on was considered "safer" than most non-steroidal anti inflammatory meds.

From what I can see, he is going to be ok from the illness on the weekend, but a solution for his pain still needs to be found.

Part of me is thinking: "what if he got a stomach but or something completely unrelated to his Metacam, and I'm taking him off a good drug for him" . Gosh it's tricky.

The good news: he's eating and drinking again. Major relief for his momma.

--------------------
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today."
- Watership Down, Richard Adams

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:48 AM