Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Our Sweet Ms. Lucy, Just diagnosed with diabetes
Muffins
post Oct 1 2004, 04:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 245

Hi Everyone:

Unfortunately, right now, I've got the flu....................but, Ben and I will be picking up our sweet Lucy
at the vet's in about an hour......(we've got to learn the "injection process"...........)

She's spent two days there doing "curve tests", to determine the amount of insulin she will need.
And, has to go back next Thursday.. huh.gif

But, if anyone has been through this and/or is going through diabetes with their furkitties, could you please
let me know "what to expect"???

Our poor sweet girl................has asthma..........and now, diabetes!!! sad.gif

Thanks!

Love, Denise

I would write more, but I just crawled out of bed to at least write this much...........

p.s. I know that more people come to this site, so hopefully I'll have more responses from people with knowledge
of feline diabetes.......................

MD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I really like the new set up.......... I kept wanting to ask if something like this would be possible..... I guess that it was!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Our Beloved Girl, Ernestine (AKA) "Ernie-Bird"
April, 1984 - February 7, 2004
***AFFA***
Forever, you will ALWAYS live on in our hearts!
DEPARTED FROM EARTH, NEVER FORGOTTEN.... Love, Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zoeysdad
post Oct 2 2004, 10:38 AM
Post #2

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 448

Hi Denise,

So sorry to hear about Miss Lucy being diagnosed with diabetes. I don't have any experience with or knowledge of the required treatment, but I just wanted you to know I'm hoping everything turns out ok. Sorry too to hear you have the flu. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

You're in my thoughts,
__Jim

--------------------
"Daddies Little Man"
September 22, 1992 -- August 18, 2004

+Quote Post
gingerspal
post Oct 2 2004, 11:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 340

Denise! Hope you feel better soon--! I don't know about diabetes in kitties either but want to add my support--glad Miss Lucy is coming home soon!

--------------------
Ginger was part Norwegian Forest Cat. When I first took him in he was a meanie, so his full name was "Gingersnap", and I did not change his name after I learned she was a he.

+Quote Post
Jjay
post Oct 2 2004, 12:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 445

Hi denise.
Aww youre cute little Lucy, im sorry i dont no much about it but i thought id post to you my friend and see how you are aswell.
I hope Youre kitty will be ok!
Love Jaymie x

+Quote Post
deedee
post Oct 2 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 379

Oswald was diagnosed with diabetes and became insulin dependent. The important thing is to keep Lucy on a schedule. I would feed him at 6:30 a.m. and then give him his shot at 7, and did it again in the evening, as close to 12 hours apart as possible. Your vet can recommend how often you inject - some people only inject once per day, many do twice. Giving him his shot was never a big deal after I got used to it. I used to inject in the scruff, and he just enjoyed the extra attention. If Lucy doesn't eat, then don't give her the shot - they have to "eat before you treat".

I couldn't leave food sitting out, which made it tough on my other kitty. She soon learned, though, that she had to stuff herself at the same time that Oswald did.

I learned how to prick the ear to take blood because it got very expensive taking him to the vet to get his blood curve read. You can get your doctor to show you how to do that and to give you some guidelines of what to look out for. There are a number of websites that deal with feline diabetes. http://www.felinediabetes.com/ is a good one. You are better off giving too little insulin than too much. You should become acquainted with the signs of insulin overdose because you will need to act quickly. You have to feed them honey or corn syrup to get the blood sugar level up if they overdose, usually because more than one person gives them their shots accidentally.

Cats are the only species who can spontaneously recover from diabetes. That happened twice with Oswald. I took him into the vet and the insulin dosage kept getting reduced until it was controlled with diet. He was eating high fibre food - your vet can advise you on what brand is appropriate for Lucy. About two years later, we were in the process of moving, and I noticed he was drinking water constantly, so took him back in. He was on insulin for about six months, then he recovered from it so that the injections were no longer necessary.

One thing that was a bit of a pain was that when we travelled, we had to hire a pet sitter who was familiar with insulin-dependency. Or we would have to leave poor Oswald at the vet's when we went away, and the technician would treat him. Your vet could probably give you the name of someone.

The prognosis for a diabetic cat is actually quite good. The insulin works very quickly, and you will notice a radical change within hours or days. The schedule is very important - I was getting up very early on weekends and would feed him. Then I would set my alarm clock for half an hour later in case I fell asleep. If you do miss a shot, it isn't the end of the world. Don't give extra to "make up for it", because that could lead to an overdose.

Also, they need less insulin if they have been physically active. (That wasn't much of a problem with Oswald - he was pretty laid back!)

Oswald did not die from complications of the diabetes. He was very sick with kidney failure, and that was due to his age. With proper treatment, you and Lucy can have many happy years together.

Good luck!

dee dee

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Oct 3 2004, 01:54 PM
Post #6

Thank you all for your advice & well wishes - I hope you all know how much your replies are appreciated..............

Dee Dee --- First, let me say that DeeDee is "my nickname"...... biggrin.gif

But, I thank you very, very much for all of your very valuable information!!!!

Thank you for the link, and I've already "gotten started" on that site........it is very, very good, but also quite
overwhelming to a "newly diagnosed OWNER"....
Everyone has "all the answers"....

Our vet told us to give Lucy 3 units of Ultra-Lente about 20 minutes after she eats a good breakfast.........or, if she doesn't; then, it's like you say.............
****THEY HAVE TO EAT BEFORE YOU TREAT****

But, sooooooooooooooo many people on the Diabetes board said that 3 units once/day was WAY, WAY TOO MUCH........
It scared me soooooo much, that I gave her 2 units today......

She was more lethargic yesterday (with the 3 units), I thought..........

At the vets, her sugars, on 2 units, went from 410 to 242.......
Next day, 3 units, she actually ended up higher than the day before........(but, they had 2 less hours with her...)

Ooooohhhhh, I've got that clear corn syrup all ready to go, that's for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

When we adopted Lucy and Mr. Yoster in March, 2004........Lucy weighed 14 & 1/4 pounds............
Friday, she was 10 & 1/4 lbs.........

(The vet before this one - "a feline only vet", who I thought would be sooooooooooooo much better --- WRONG!!!)

Misdiagnosed Lucy with "Mega Colon".........

So, we had several referrals to our newest vet, and could not be happier!!!!!!

*****If it isn't too much to ask, "what radical change should we notice"????****

I do notice that she doesn't come out very often to eat, whereas before she was always RAVENOUSLY HUNGRY............
I MEAN, SHE GO FROM HER DISH TO MR. YOSTER'S, AND BACK AND FORTH, UNTIL SHE GOT HER FILL!!!!!

Now, she's not eating as much............(but, I do want her to eat.....)

And, she is not drinking as much, whereas before, she was drinking constantly!!!!!!

She still has "pee pancakes" in the litterbox...........these huge 5" round pancakes...... You know???

**********VERY GOOD IDEA...............ON THE WEEKENDS, SET THAT ALARM CLOCK FOR 1/2 HOUR AFTER YOU PLACE OUT HER FOOD TO EAT............****
I can see where I would quickly fall back asleep!!!!!

I am very, very sorry for the passing of your precious, beloved furcat Oswald...... Ernestine, too, had the age related
kidney disease......
But, I am grateful that she was with me for 2 months shy of twenty years......
She's always with me, as I'm sure your sweet Oswald is ALWAYS WITH YOU!!!! wub.gif
Oswald and Ernestine are in a better place, that I am sure of.....
I hope that they are good friends!!! biggrin.gif

With regard to home testing, what monitor do you suggest????
There are soooooooo many to choose from.........
(kind of like cereal, where there is one long aisle, but both sides are filled to the brim with different cereals............)
I just think that we have TOO MANY CHOICES............

God Bless you, and thank you ever so much for all of your help!!!!!!

Love, Denise & Ben

--------------------
***AFFA***

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post
deedee
post Oct 3 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 379

HI, I'm sorry, but I don't remember which monitor I used. I got my brother-in-law's old one. He showed me how to use it. When Oswald's diabetes cleared up, I gave it back to him. There are a lot of good ones - as you say, there are probably too many choices. Talk to the pharmacist or to your vet about what a good one is. What was good a few years ago is probably pretty obsolete now.

As for the website, I would listen to your vet - everyone has an opinion, but they haven't looked at the bloodwork. The dosage really depends on the type of insulin. Some are stronger than others; even the syringes that I used were different when the vet switched Oswald to a different kind. The vet might also be trying to stabilize her, and then might lower the dosage. It is too early to tell. Take what good you can from the site and leave the rest. I found there was some good information on there. I also think that the vet would probably recommend a lower dosage than was needed initially since it is better to err on the side of caution.

The radical change that I noticed was that his energy level improved, his eyes looked better, his coat improved a bit and he quit drinking small lakes every day. The food he was eating was starting to work as fuel again. His urine also, obviously, decreased in quantity. He started to put weight back on - that wasn't necessarily a good thing! He started acting "healthier" when his blood sugar got more on track. Eventually, the vet kept decreasing the dosage until he was controlled through his diet.

I don't know if the vet told you about testing urine with strips for ketosis (the same strips that people on Atkins use, by the way). That is another way to see if the dosage of insulin has stabilized the diabetes. Also, the vet told me to feed Oswald a high-fibre food. Hills w/d was the one that I used.

One thing I found reassuring when I talked to the vet was about bubbles in the syringe. I was paranoid that I would accidentally inject some bubbles. He said that would only be a problem if it was intravenous. Since it was a subcutaneous injection, some small air bubbles wouldn't hurt. He did, however, tell me to make sure that I didn't accidentally inject into a vein by drawing back on the plunger a bit to see if there was blood.

Try not to be too intimidated by the process. You sound like you have a vet who you can work in partnership with. I let the vet do a lot of the bloodwork initially, and then told him I wanted to be able to test at home. He showed me how to do it, and insisted that he be contacted if there were any questions, or if I was uncertain of the results. Oswald would not be happy when he went into the vet's, and sometimes that would give a higher reading. The vet was aware of this, and adjusted the dosage accordingly, but by learning how to do the earprick, I could monitor him more often and although he didn't like it, it was way less stressful than taking him to the vet.

I tried to look at the time of giving him his injections as extra attention for him. I would reward him with lots of rubs and sometimes a food treat or catnip, so he actually looked forward to seeing the syringe come out. I only hurt him once, and that was when he squirmed when the phone rang and the needle didn't go in properly. I got a bunch of the insulin on his fur, but decided not to give him another shot in case some of it went in. The rest of the time, it was a pretty easy process.

Taking care of his diabetes just became part of the household routine. Occasionally, I would have to stop by at home and treat him before going out for the evening, but it sounds like you only have one shot to give Lucy. Set that up so that it is convenient for your own schedule. She will adapt pretty quickly.

All the best!

dee dee

+Quote Post
LittleGirl's...
post Oct 7 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 274

Denise,

How is sweet Lucy doing now? How are the shots going? I'm so sorry your family has to be going through this!

I do know that if she had to be diagnosed with diabetes, she's extra-lucky to have been adopted by you and Ben, where she is getting all the love and care she can handle. wub.gif

Keep us posted! You're in my prayers.

Love,

Kathy

--------------------
Compassion for all animals. www.earthlings.com

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Oct 7 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #9

I really want to thank EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES..................

I know that "you all know" how VERY, VERY MUCH BEN AND I (and Mr. Yoster, too), love our sweet Ms. Lucy.......
I cannot stand it that our sweet baby girl has diabetes, and asthma...

She went to the vet's today (an all day affair), for her "glucose curve testing"..... She ate around 7:10 - 7:20am...., and then at 7:40am, I gave her 2 units of Ultra Lente.
Then, it was on our way to the vet's office.

We got there at 8:30am - (the traffic in the Metro-West Boston area----HORRIBLE.....), but, they drew a blood glucose within 10 minutes, so I stayed, and found out her bg was 416.........
Then, all day, they take blood glucose tests like every two hours.

We are to hear from our vet tomorrow morning at around 8:00am, after he has had a chance to check her blood glucose numbers for the "3 days (9/30 - 10/1 & 10/7), that Lucy was there for her 'curves'"....

Deedee...........Thank you very much for your wonderful information (because you have been through it with your very precious Oswald..... wub.gif (I appreciate it that you are willing to talk about it, because it helps me so much!!).

"As for the website, I would listen to your vet - everyone has an opinion, but they haven't looked at the bloodwork".

Thank you for saying that to me............... After speaking with our pharmacist this evening..........she said "Your vet knows what he is doing.........The websites are good for tons of information; but, your vet knows Lucy, and her blood values....I would trust him -- you know that I am an animal lover........They're your kids!!"

I DO KNOW that "kitty stress", (like some human's have with the "white coat stress"), can sometimes make their glucose levels go up 100 points........ So, of course, that's something to take into consideration...

Thanks again Deedee, and thanks to all for your concern and well wishes

It means a lot at a time that is very, very stressful for us....

God Bless you All!!

Love, Denise, Ben, Ms. Lucy and Mr. Yoster

--------------------
***AFFA***

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Oct 8 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #10

To Everyone Here at LS........Who I consider my friends & family:

Ms. Lucy had her third "glucose curve" at the vet's yesterday, and her values were soooo high (they had done 5 blood sugar readings)............
So, our vet had called this morning, and we increased her insulin to 3 units of Ultra Lente in the AM........

She's been awful quiet today, though I've gotten her out to eat......
After her injection, both kitties (Ms. Lucy and Mr. Yoster) received some canned tuna.... (yummy wub.gif )

But, Lucy has been under the bed for the most part today.............
I know that her body is "getting used to insulin WORKING in her body"......

I'd just like to ask that everyone say a little prayer for our sweet girl, and for her housemate, (our sweet boy), Mr. Yoster (he loves her, and I can tell that he is worried about her)......

Being a mom of two kitties..........I'm sure you all know how it feels --- Ben and I don't have children of the human kind............but, all of the furkitties we have ever owned.............they find their way RIGHT INTO OUR HEARTS..... wub.gif

So, thanks for listening........
I come here, to LS, for my "comfort", rather than the diabetes website.....
You guys, I've known since Ernestine (Muffins) went to Rainbow's Bridge on February 7, 2004..........

Thanks again!!
Love, Denise, Ben, Ms. Lucy and Mr. Yoster xo

--------------------
***AFFA***

+Quote Post
DJ - Edgar, Jess...
post Oct 8 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 65

Consider the prayers said and my thoughts with you both wub.gif

+Quote Post
CheriAnn
post Oct 8 2004, 06:34 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 496

Denise,

My prayers have been said for Ms. Lucy and for you all. You are SUCH a comfort to everyone here. I wish there was more that I could do for you all and Ms. Lucy.

Cheri

--------------------
Rachael Ann
November 18, 1992 - October 2, 2004

My best friend, my daughter, my life

+Quote Post
Jjay
post Oct 9 2004, 06:43 AM
Post #13

Hello Denise my friend how are you?
Hows ms.lucy today?
What a gorgeous loving cat i hope she is happy and not in pain.
Do you have to inject her? sorry i dont really know much about it.
X

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Oct 9 2004, 01:03 PM
Post #14

Hi Everyone...............
Let's see if I can show you some photos of our children.............Ms. Lucy and Mr. Yoster.....
Love, Denise, Ben, Mr. Yoster and Mr. Lucy

p.s. Thanks Marc for your help............Easier than I thought..... (Don't know if that's good or bad....)
I'll keep our photos to a minimum........Thank you!!!

--------------------
***AFFA***

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Oct 9 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #15

Well, you get to see this cute playful photo twice.................. wub.gif

It's a "rare photo"...........Have to keep the camera out.....to "catch them in the act"...
Love, Denise, Ben, Ms. Lucy and Mr. Yoster

--------------------
***AFFA***

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Oct 9 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #16

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

happy to help denise smile.gif

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

While all people here help each other, there are
times where an advanced degree of help may be needed.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or consumed
by grief, it is always best to seek professional help.

+Quote Post
Jjay
post Oct 9 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #17

Ohh >.< there so gorgeous!!
Aww adorable! xx

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic