Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Our Buddy, Buddy's gone
millerkklt
post Jul 31 2007, 09:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 3,333

Buddy's story begins with the loss of another loved one, Soda. We enjoyed having Soda in our lives for the better part of 13 years. Soda was a typical cat. 13 pounds of huggable fur. He loved everyone in the house. He was patient. And he was my wifes best friend. Unfortunately he had to leave us. After a while I felt my wife needed someone to help her with her grief. So I went to the shelter to find a new kitty she could cuddle with. Instead I found Buddy. A very talkative full grown Tomcat. I took one look at him and said this is the one she will want. The next day I took her to the shelter and she picked Buddy out of all the beautiful animals there.

Unfortunately, Buddy was a stray and wanted to run and fight, a fearless cat. Not at all intimidated by our 80 pound black lab. So we had to watch over Buddy like hawks so he wouldn't get out and run over by a car or just hurt by someone mean. Ive had cats in my house all of my life as my mother and grandmother both loved animals very much and just couldn't say no. That said I have never met a cat like Buddy. Buddy didn't want attention he demanded it. If you were eating something he wanted he would climb onto your chest and take it. When you opened the refrigerator he was there to see if there was anything he needed. His favorites were cookies crackers and bacon. When we first realized his love for cookies I believe our 12 year old son got into trouble for leaving the cookie jar open. Until we heard it hit the floor one night and understood Buddy was Helping himself.

We moved to a home that had a bigger yard so we were able to put Buddy out on a leash. He didn't like it as much as he would have liked to run but he loved it outside so he accepted it. Sometimes he escaped and we would drop everything to go searching for himuntil we found him. usually he was so wound up you couldn't hardly get him home. Buddy has no front claws. Buddy has teeth and knows what they are for. One time he got loose and as my wife was bringing him home a dog started barking and scared him. He bit my wife trying to get down. She spent the next week in the hospital fighting the infectionon.

For the most part Buddy was pretty content to be in the back yard. He would watch as we worked in the flower beds making sure we left him room to lay down. One of buddy's favorite thing to do was to try and drink out of the sprinklers as they were running. He would get excited as soon as the sprinklers came out. There are cats that are allowed to wander a little bit in the neighborhood, they don't come into the yard very often as Buddy stretchs his leash out as far as he can to protect his yard from interloppers. The neighbors thought it was strange at first to see a cat on a leash. Now it's going to be hard to be reminded when they ask where he is. My wife was in the yard yesterday sitting with Buddy and Abbey when one of our neighbors who knew of our loss came over and said she never knew we had another cat. Abbey has no desire to leave the sanct*ity of her yard. Funny thing I don't think she ever thought of it as her yard before I believe she knew it was Buddy's yard. He controled everything. He loved to be with me. There is no other feeling like the feeling you get when someone is watching you. you look over and see your cat staring at you like you are the greatest creature god has created. I miss him so much. I was looking forward to taking him camping. I think he would have really enjoyed that.

Well Buddy has been gone about 28 hours now and this is really hard. Went to the grocery store last night and glanced at the posting for the humane society. Much to my dismay they have a cat that looks just like him. He couldn't be like him Buddy was 1 of a kind. Buddy was the dog I never had. A dog wrapped in cat fur. I miss him so much. This isn't how I planned to spend my vacation.

Buddy had been sick for a while now that we think about it. Thinking back I wonder if he was trying to spare my feelings. It seems like he quit laying by me on the couch about a month ago. When he started losing weight we took him to the vet and they thought it was his autoimune disease, so they gave him a shot. That seemed to help he started to eat more. No weight gain back to the vet another shot, Still eating good lots of energy,wants to be outside maybe he is mad at me he doesn't lay by me anymore. His breathing seems labored he's not moving around to much in the yard, back to the vet. Maybe he has asthma 2 shots breathing is better, take him home dont let him outside. Thats hard, He doesn't like it in the house in the summer. Back to the Vet 2 more shots. Still no outside. back to the vet more shots. He is going outside, I don't want him to be miserable in the house. I was just being brave. I would love to have him stuck in the house for another thirty years. Emergency room visit to a neighbor who is not our vet but a vet. He doesn't think its asthma. If it was asthma the shots would have worked. He doesn't want speculate about what it might be. Called our vet out of town. Called when he came home. BAck to vet, more shots. He suggests putting him down, we couldn't do it. We can administer shots when he needs them tonight. Bring him back in the morning to run a bunch of tests. My wife who is incredibly strong during this gives him shots while she is crying. I tell her to sleep while I sit up with him. He is resting it has been hard on him. I wonder if I should take him outside. My son just woke up tp go to work, asks how he is, goes and pets him for awhile. Buddy is going into the kitchen, I open the fridge to see if there is anything in there he wants. NO lays down by the bedroom door. I bring him his water, he tries to cover it up. breathing is starting to get hard again. I wake up mother to give him more shots. He cries in pain. The shots don't hurt him. He is tired of being messed with. He goes into the bedroom and lays on the floor on my side of the bed. that is where he allways slept until he started to sleep by my wife. He is crying now alot, I tell my wife and daughter to go and say goodbye, I say my goodbyes. Buddy is gone now. It is 4:30 in the morning, buried him in the dark. I don't know how I got through that. I miss him so much. Buddy is resting in his favorite place in the yard. Amongst the Hostas and Butterfly bush under his beautiful Magnolia tree.

Thank You for Having this site here. Writing about this is hard but I think it might help. Iam going to tell my family about this site, so hopefully they can use it to start to heal. I hope you don't get to tired of seeing posts about our BUddy
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Jul 31 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 245

Dear (((((((Buddy's Family)))))))

Reading your post has really tugged on my heart, hearing about your very handsome boy, Buddy wub.gif .

I can tell how much he was (and will always be) loved, and how much you did to help him feel better. Please, ALWAYS KNOW that Buddy wub.gif LOVES YOU sooooo very, very much. And, he will live on in your hearts forever.

Please come here as much as you want to write about your feelings. Writing has helped me so much during my healing process. And, your family is more than welcome here too. There are so many wonderful people here at LS - some are just beginning their journey like you. One thing is for certain - we ALL understand the pain you and your family are going through sad.gif .

I loved seeing Buddy's wub.gif photo -- he looks so handsome, so very content, lying on the grass with his little harness on smile.gif . It does look as if Buddy is saying, "This IS MY grass....." Thank you for showing us his beautiful photo.

Sending you & yours much peace, comfort & love,

Denise

--------------------
Our Beloved Girl, Ernestine (AKA) "Ernie-Bird"
April, 1984 - February 7, 2004
***AFFA***
Forever, you will ALWAYS live on in our hearts!
DEPARTED FROM EARTH, NEVER FORGOTTEN.... Love, Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post
toonie
post Jul 31 2007, 03:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,632

Those first days are so so hard, please do come here and know that we all understand how much it hurts. Buddy's dad & family, we are here for you.

+Quote Post
LittleGirl's...
post Jul 31 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 274

Buddy is so precious!!! My sympathies on his passing. sad.gif

As Denise said, he KNOWS how very much you and your family love him. wub.gif

He's in bliss, in the realm he's in. No pain of any kind, and you'll be reunited with him when it's your time! Love transcends death. But I know that it must seem awfully lonely and empty right now. sad.gif

I'm so glad you found this site. Please come back and post as often as you would like! And your family too.

Buddy's little body wore out, but his sweet, free spirit is still with you and always will be.

Love,
Kathy

--------------------
Compassion for all animals. www.earthlings.com

+Quote Post
katzen11
post Aug 1 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,125

I am sorry, that Buddy had to go.
I was reading the story this morning, and it made my cry.
But I guess, You were lucky, to live with Buddy, a dog, wrapped in a cat fur.
So absolutely perfect, how You express Your living together with lucky Buddy.
I am feeling with You..........Eva

--------------------
in loving memory of my sweet babycat Felice
+ 8 december 2006

+Quote Post
slbrock59
post Aug 1 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 25

What a handsome guy. I'm sorry for your loss. Blessings to you all.
Steve

--------------------
You left paw prints on our hearts.

+Quote Post
millerkklt
post Aug 2 2007, 06:45 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,333

Thank you all for your kind words. We know that Buddy is in a better place. We know that we have been given 9 years that we may have not gotten without him. We know that Buddy could have been given to people who are less caring. We know he had a good life. It is just so very hard. We miss him all day.
Thank You for being part of a wonderful site and taking the time to express your sympathies.

+Quote Post
Big Cats Mom
post Aug 3 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,292

Millerkkit,
What an adorable baby your Buddy was. The picture just makes me want to pick him up and cuddle him. It sounds like he was full of spunky personality. I can tell by your description what a joy he was to you. I'm so sorry for your loss, and I know you miss him very much. I recently lost my cat, so I understand what you are going through, and I cry with you. Please post about Buddy anytime, there will always be someone here to listen and understand.
April

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:26 AM