mckinley
post Dec 22 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 2,369

Pookie’s Story
Angels who Journey from our World
Never Leave our Hearts

I recently lost my little dog. I was on the web looking for a site for pet loss when I came acorss this site. I read other people's stories and they gave me some comfort knowing I wasn't the only one feeling this way. This is my dog's story.

I’ll never forget the day we met. I had just started a new job, and this little dog comes flying around the corner into my office. I asked the women I was working with, “who does this little dog belong too”. She replied, “oh that’s Shane’s dog, Pookie”. Shane was a co-worker of ours, and he brought you to work often. Oh my god…….you where the sweetest little dog I had ever seen. From that day forward, I looked forward to seeing you each day. One day Shane announces he can no longer keep you, and he’s planning to drop you off at the pound. It didn’t take me long to realize I couldn’t let that happen. I took you away from Shane and brought you into my office. That night I took you home.

My husband, (your future Dad), had no idea I was bringing you home. You see we already had three dogs, I didn’t know how he was going to react. He already knew about you because I had told him about this little dog that came to work.. We arrived home I put in the bathroom to keep you safe. I didn’t know how our other three dogs would react to you. My husband arrived home, and I guess the look on my face told him something because he said “you brought home a dog didn’t you?” I opened the bathroom door and there you were. My husband thought you were a cute little thing, but he didn’t think we should keep you, because we already had three dogs. My heart was broken, but I kind of understood where he was coming from. Besides there was no guarantee you’d be accepted by the other dogs. I called a women I use to work with. I heard she had recently lost her little dog, and asked if she’d be interested in adopting you into her family. She agreed and that night I drove you to her house. As I drove away that night, I cried, I realized then how much I loved you. A week later I get a call that things are not working out in your new home. Apparently you didn’t get along with her cat. She asked me to come get you. I flew out of the house to bring you home. My husband still asked that we find you another home.

Less than a week later, (still trying to find you a permanent home) I came home from work to find you lying on the couch with my husband. It was official, “you had a Dad”. “Pookie can stay” were the words I heard him say. That was 14 years ago sweetie.

One night while I was out shoveling snow, Dad decided it was time for you to meet the family. You see, I was being overly protective of you, and had been keeping you away from the rest of the dogs. I walked into the house to find you and the other dogs in the living room. You were all walking around sniffing one another. As it turned out wanted nothing to do with Sandy, (our mutt), Snowflake, (our American Eskimo), but McKinley, (our Samoyed), oh you liked him. It was official you were a part of our family. I think this was the best time of my life. Having all of you made my life feel complete. Dad and I couldn’t have children, you where are children. People thought we were nuts having four dogs, and sometime it was hard, but I wouldn’t trade the time I had with any of you for anything in the world.

McKinley passed away a couple years later, I took it especially hard, but I think you did too. I knew you missed him, the two of you had formed a special bond with each other. A couple of years later we lost our second dog, Sandy. We had adopted her several years earlier from a family who was moving and couldn’t take her. This passing wasn’t any easier. Approximately two years later we lost our third dog, Snowflake. Dad took this one especially hard, because that was his little boy.

A few months later Dad was ready for another dog to call his own. June 15th, 2002, enter Max., our Australian Cattle dog. Oh boy……you did not like him. In fact we had to keep you too separated. Over the next several months you two tolerated each other, and as long as we were home with you two, you’d remain somewhat civil with each other, but whenever we went out, we had to separate you. That same year I noticed a bump on you belly and brought you to the vet. I never let it cross my mind that it might be something serious. When the vet spoke the words cancer, I felt, hell I don't know what I felt, I was numb. During the next couple of weeks you had several procedures to determine the extent of your illness. One vet gave you six months to live. We declined an operation, that didn't give us any guarantees, and because of your age, the operation could have done more harm than good and taken away what quality of life you may have. Looking at you, besides being an old dog, you'd never know there was this awful disease. You still had a healthy appet*ite, you liked to go for walks, etc. We decided to let you live out life, and when the time came, we'd know. But you proved the vet wrong. You made it two more years.

When we moved into a new home back in August 2005, dad decided it was time to leave you two together, there would be no more separation while we were gone. I was scared, but I knew Max only wanted to be your friend. He respected your growls towards him and would walk away. As it turned out, the two of you got closer to each other. I would come home and find the two of you on the couch together. During the last year you had become very close to your Daddy. While Max would come to bed with me, you'd stay with dad until it was time for him to come to bed. He'd pick you up, and whisper, "we have to go to bed because we're very tired". Then he'd place you on my pillow where you would remain until the morning.

December 18, 2006. I received a call from Dad, I was on my lunch hour. Dad was home that day and was bringing you in from outside when you fell down. He went to pick you up, but you couldn't stand. Then you were having trouble breathing. He rushed you to the vet, who told him you where dying. There was no time for me to get there. I worked an hour away from home, and the vet was 15 minutes further from home. Dad said there was no time. I totally lost it. I screamed, I didn't get to say goodbye. Pookie my sweet angel I'm sorry I wasn't there with you. You died in dad's arms and that gives me some comfort that you were not alone. I miss you more than you'll ever know. I feel so alone. I can't stop crying. People tell me to think of the good times, and all the joy you brought me. I'm trying Pookie, but I miss you so much. Daddy tells me your with Mckinley, Sandy and Snowflake....all running around together again. I've been through this fours times know, you'd think it would get easier, but it doesn't. I feel like my hearts been ripped out. There is a piece of me that's missing, a void in my heart.

Thank you all for listening to my story....Pookie's story. She was such a special little girl. Such a happy little dog. May god bless all you who have lost a dear friend. Take comfort in knowing we will all be together again. Do pets go to heaven, I think they do.

Nancy Sullivan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AlleysMama
post Dec 22 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,356

Nancy - Thank you for sharing yours and Pookie's story with us. It sounds like Pookie had a long and wonderful life with you. Just know that we all feel your loss.

--------------------
Read Alley's Story

May 1, 1997 to December 9, 2006 - Always in My Heart

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Dec 23 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 245

Dear Nancy:

I received your PM, so I moved your thread over here to this forum. I know that you will receive posts from some wonderful people who understand the pain and sadness that you are going through.

You told me that your darling Pookie wub.gif was a Cairn Terrier. If ever you'd like to post a picture of her, please feel free to do that. I bet she was a beauty! If you need any help with posting it, please let me know.

I'll be keeping you and your husband in my prayers.

God Bless You!

Denise

--------------------
Our Beloved Girl, Ernestine (AKA) "Ernie-Bird"
April, 1984 - February 7, 2004
***AFFA***
Forever, you will ALWAYS live on in our hearts!
DEPARTED FROM EARTH, NEVER FORGOTTEN.... Love, Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post
xrayspex
post Dec 24 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,266

I will add Pookie to the list of names I will speak in the candlelight ceremony on Christmas eve for all of our departed furbabies

--------------------
CLICK ON ME...YOU JUST MIGHT SMILE
http://youtube.com/18foxtrot

user posted image

+Quote Post
Ken Albin
post Dec 24 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 854

Thank you for sharing Pookie's story with us. Pookie had a wonderful life with both of you. Think of all of the happy memories Pookie left with you and be thankful that your lives were touched by Pookie's love.

Take care,
Ken Albin

--------------------

Daddy Cat left this world at the age of 17. His tribute page is at Daddy Cat's Tribute Page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:10 AM