Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Private Messages, Shortcut
LoveThem
post Nov 29 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 3,876

Can't figure this one out so I am asking for your help. Now that I am getting PMs, I note when I want to reply the whole PM is quoted first. In order to make room for my message and noting their message is below so I can scroll to it and don't need it repeated inside my Reply, is there an easier way to not have it quoted when I want to reply? It just takes so long holding down the Delete key until the reply box is empty and I can put my answer in it.

Is there a shortcut answer to not quoting the original since it is already shown at the bottom of the page? Thanks

--------------------
LITTLE GUY - May 28, 1991 - Sept 10, 2007 - Always in my Heart.
His story: Section D&D: How do I stop crying? and also... My Boy is Gone Forever.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
prettykitty
post Nov 29 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,026

Hm, i moderate a different forum which uses the exact same message board format and as far as i know there is no short cut key to eliminating the quoted text. An easier way then holding down the delete key would be to highlight the text and then hit delete.....

If there is a way to prevent the text from being quoted i'd certainly love to hear it so i can share this with the members of my forum! smile.gif

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Nov 29 2007, 04:15 PM
Post #3

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

i looked into this at the software developer's website. sorry to say, it is still a manual effort at this time to remove the quoted material. it is a bother, i agree. hopefully they will come up with something one day in new versions.

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

While all people here help each other, there are
times where an advanced degree of help may be needed.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or consumed
by grief, it is always best to seek professional help.

+Quote Post
LoveThem
post Nov 29 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the quick reply. I think for now Prettykitty's idea of selecting it all and then deleting is something I will try. That certainly is easier than holding down the Delete key while the characters are deleted one by one. Her idea sounds much easier. I will try that one. Thanks, Prettykitty, for suggesting it here. We always can learn more from each other, can't we? smile.gif

--------------------
His story: Section D&D: How do I stop crying? and also... My Boy is Gone Forever.

+Quote Post
prettykitty
post Nov 29 2007, 07:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,026

No problem at all lovethem!

I find i learn something new everyday, and sometimes several new things! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Simba's Daddy
post Nov 29 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,899

QUOTE (LS Support @ Nov 29 2007, 04:15 PM)
i looked into this at the software developer's website. sorry to say, it is still a manual effort at this time to remove the quoted material. it is a bother, i agree. hopefully they will come up with something one day in new versions.

I'm not sure which forum software you are using but it might be something you could do yourself. All you would have to do is open the pm reply file then find the part that puts the original message in the quote code and remove it...

If you want to keep the quote feature as well you could rename the new file to something like "pmreply2.php" and then link it in the PM section like so:

"Reply Without Quote"

Just a thought biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoveThem
post Nov 30 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #7

Okay..I just tried PrettyKitty's suggestions. It works great!

Put the cursor at the beginning of the Quote word and right-click on mouse.
Choose SELECT ALL
You will see everything is highlighted
Right-click again and choose DELETE

The quoted message is all gone and you are ready for a reply.

You can also print out the quoted message with a right-click and chose Print if it is long and you want to talk about something special in it. Make sure your Printer is on.

Thanks again, PrettyKitty. It worked perfectly. I would recommend this method to all who want to skip past the original message.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:17 PM