4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Please!
jeff
post Sep 24 2010, 02:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,794

ok one week ago today my 6 year old indoor cat ran away. last monday we found out that he has been across the street at our neighbors who have 2 outdoor cats. a mother and a 1 year old kitten. well the neighbors said that our cat has been eating over their with the kitten and theve both been playing togather. so monday we went over and tried calling him, but apparently he ran back to our house. its been 4 days since our neighbors have seen him but the kitten has been missing alittle also. so we set a humaine trap in their yard monday night and theve caught both of their cats once. what im basically asking for are suggestions and for people to pray that he cames home. any suggestions are welcome, tonight were im going over to sit in their yard and try calling him. if it helps at all we live in the country and we both have alot of land. please help, thank you for listening.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 24 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,797

Dearest Jeff,

I'm so very sorry! Nothing much worse than not knowing. I realize that because I'm there, too. In order to help you better, could you please answer a few questions? Working in Animal Rescue and Rehabilitation for around 30 years, we ask these things ...

1. Is your indoor male cat neutered? (I say male because you typed "he" when referring to your 6 year old indoor kitty.)

2. How long have you had your 6 year old cat?

3. How long have you had your 6 year old cat where you live at this time? (What I'm asking is if there was a recent move.)

4. This next thing: PLEASE ANSWER IN PRIVATE MESSAGE unless you don't mind it being here ...

Do you know your neighbors across the street who have 2 outdoor cats, one of which is the mommy with a baby kitten?

5. If you do, how long have you known them?

I'm going to stop here. Will await answers to the above in order to ascertain if this ought best be discussed privately.

You and your kitty are in my thoughts and prayers. Many Comforting Hugs!

Always, Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 24 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (jeff @ Sep 24 2010, 02:27 PM) *
Tonight were im going over to sit in their yard and try calling him. if it helps at all we live in the country and we both have alot of land. please help, thank you for listening.

Just one small suggestion. Judging from your description of where you live as well as the situation, it may be a better idea not to call your kitty. Your kitty may be having too much fun so might not answer you. Instead, you could post yourself in your neighbor's yard and/or any other of your kitty's favorite places.

Wait. Look. Listen. Do not call your kitty.

Bring a good flashlight and don't hesitate to use it on and off.

Remember, you know your kitty much better than anyone else and I'm only describing kitty behavior in general.

You'll know best what to do. By they way, indoor kitties love chasing the "light" from a flashlight. I don't know if they'd do it outside though. It may warn them or frighten them when outdoors. Sorry, I'll Google that one for you and get back.

Lighting a Candle.

Always, Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
jeff
post Sep 24 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #4

thank you for replying, well 1. he is neuterd, when we were taking him to get neuterd when we first got him he got out for 2 weeks, we later found him in our barn. 2. we have had him for six years 3. we have never moved 4. yes we know them very well, our familys are good friends 5. my family has known them more then 25 years, but im only 18 so not as long as the rest of my family. well ill stop calling then even tho i just did it for an hourO_O well he is really skidish so im scared that a flashligth might scare him and he has never liked to chase lights either my other cat does but he doesnt. we all think that he is having fun over their but we just wanthim back. again thank you for helping, i greatly appreciate it:)

thank you

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 24 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #5

Hello again Jeff,

You gave perfect information, Dear One. Thank you. My apologies if any of the questions offended you. But, I needed to know your kitty just a bit. Ya done great. Jeff, have you looked up? Your kitty may have climbed a tree and is scared to come down. That happens all the time. Now, you can also use the clicking the tuna can method to find your kitty when he is not up in a tree. If he is not up a tree, keep tapping the tuna can or shaking the hard food box and keep calling for him.

However, if he is up a tree: Please click here: The WRONG Way.

Above is the WRONG WAY to rescue your cat from a tree using a can of cat food or tuna. Never, ever use a broom or anything similar to try and shoo your kitty back down. Can you hear that cat howling? That is fear, anger and frustration. Using a broom to try and shoo kitty down from tree will either do what it does in the above video which is make your kitty go even higher to escape being prodded ... Or your cat will fall out of the tree and possibly injure itself or worse. This goes especially for indoor kitties. They are not as good at climbing trees as those kitties born and raised outdoors.

What ought the man have done? He ought to first call out pleasantly, "Common here kitty, kitty, kitty," then open the can of tuna so that the cat can see and hear it. Keep calling pleasantly and reassuringly to your kitty as you tap, tap, tap on the can with the opener, spoon or fork. Make sure you have your kitty's attention when you place the can on the ground and walk away. Say nothing else. No more calling. Wait at least ten to fifteen minutes. If your kitty has not begun to meow and make effort to come down the tree yet, then repeat the above process using a new can of food, but do not remove the other can of tuna or cat food. Then wait again ...

Your kitty may be too frightened to even try to come down, especially if it's way, way, way high up in a tree. In that case, this is what you do. Jeff, does your PC have the capability of viewing YouTube videos? If not, please say so and I'll describe it word for word.

Please click here: Amazing cat rescue from a tall tree. This house kitty got/jumped into the kitty carrier on its own. Usually, that doesn't happen and you or a professional will need to go up and fetch your kitty. Please read the following disclaimer carefully ...

Warning!!! This is very dangerous for you to do if you are not experienced, so please leave it up to the professionals. Even your kitty may attack you due to fear. Please Be Warned!!! Thank you much. Now to continue ...

Here's an example: Cat Saved from Tree by use of Fishing Net.

Also click here: Cat Rescued From Tree Using a Lift. And, why would your indoor kitty want so badly to climb a tree? The answer is usually: Birds. Please click HERE and don't worry cuz the kitty doesn't hurt any birds. I have loads of "rescue the cat from the tree" videos and Websites. Here's one more video for good measure:

Cat Rescued from Tall Tree Set to Music.

Jeff, I'll keep checking this area at least twice a day unless my PC goes *POOF* on me again. Okay?

Best of luck and winging many loving Angels to you and your kitty!

Always, Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
jeff
post Sep 24 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #6

thank you again, ill try looking up in the trees. and ill use what you have said si i do it the rigth way, thank you very much for your help:)

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 24 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #7

Yay! I was so hoping and praying you'd see this tonight. Bless you, Jeff. I'll be back later, you betchca I will.

We are gonna find your kitty, Jeff. Okay?

It may take days, but we will find your kitty.

Many Comforting Hugs!

Always, Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 24 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #8

Hello, Jeff. I see you've dropped by again and are reading. I pray you have good news.

I'm here in case you're posting more information and/or questions. I am here, Dear One.

Always, Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
jeff
post Sep 25 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #9

no nothing yet, i looked up as many trees as i could but nothing, my gut feeling is hes jsut hiding in the brush or a neighbors shed. as soon as i have some more news i will let you know. thank you for being here:)

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 25 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #10

Hi Jeff,

That's the very same gut feeling that I have, too. If you decide to go looking in the brush or neighbor's shed for your kitty, remember that cats are nocturnal so it won't do you much good to search after dark. That's when your kitty will be most active, playful, and possibly hunting. Best time to surprise him would be during the day. Possibly mid to late afternoon.

Good luck finding your kitty and I hope he shows up at your door bringing you a "gift" from his adventures. smile.gif

Please keep us all posted. Ok? Ok!

Always, Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
jeff
post Sep 25 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #11

i sure will:) thank you for helping so much, and he has brought us "gifts" before in our own home.

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 25 2010, 03:15 PM
Post #12

You are very welcome, Jeff. Now, why did I have the feeling that your kitteh has brought you "gifts" before in your home? wink.gif
I don't mind those "gifts" being brought to me by my kitties as long as the "gift" has stopped moving. Know what I mean? Bet you do.
That simply freaks me out for some reason. Probably just a girl thing.

It's just a matter of time. He's gone on a "walkabout" as Crocodile Dundee would say. He'll be back. Hang in there. K? K!

Always, Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
jeff
post Sep 25 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #13

yea i know what you mean:) i sure will. well alittle while ago me and my mom moved the cage back to our yard to see if he was over here. i put a pair of my smelly socks in their with some tuna, then i put an old military poncho over it to cover it up(i used to make tents for my cats and they like them alot) so is their anythign else i should do or just wait? oh and we also sprayed some tuna juice around the cage.

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 25 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #14

Hi there Jeff,

All of that sounds great! Let's see what happens and I'll put on my thinking cap about other things to do. Before I add one suggestion to what you're already doing, does your kitty like rolled up balls of aluminum foil or do you know?

Always, Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
jeff
post Sep 25 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #15

i dont know if he does, when he was in the house he loved plastic balls with bells in them but im thinking it might scare him outside:/

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 25 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #16

Hey Jeff, here's some more that you and your Mom can do. Please click on the Website links below ...

How to Find a Missing Cat

How to Find a Lost Cat by an e-How Contributor

How to Find a Lost Cat

Lots of great help, including the use of a baby monitor. That's something I'd not thought of and is a very good idea!

Let us all know how it goes. Okay?

Always, Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 25 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (jeff @ Sep 25 2010, 05:20 PM) *
i don't know if he does, when he was in the house he loved plastic balls with bells in them but im thinking it might scare him outside:/

I think you're right about that. Also, it would serve as a warning that you may be near. So, if he's having lots of fun and doesn't want to be caught, he would see and/or hear those toys then take off to continue his walkabout.

We cross posted. I hope you see the one I just posted before this one.

There is one more Website, but I'm gonna save it for now. No need to scare you at this time since all is most likely fine. Please, keep in touch when you're able to let us know your progress. Hoping to hear good news.

Always, Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
jeff
post Sep 25 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #18

to be truthfull the the mourning my cat went missing i looked at like 50 websites and those were the top three i looked at the most:) so im thinking i might just have to wait a while:/ i dont think the fliers would really work mostley because the area i live in( its really country and not alot of people. all my neighbors tho are on the look out for him so i guess tahts good.

+Quote Post
AngelCareOne
post Sep 25 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (jeff @ Sep 25 2010, 05:52 PM) *
to be truthful the morning my cat went missing i looked at like 50 websites and those were the top three i looked at the most:) so im thinking i might just have to wait a while:/ i don't think the fliers would really work mostly because the area i live in (its really country and not alot of people. all my neighbors tho are on the look out for him so i guess thats good.

No kidding, Jeff. Well, you know what they say: "GMTA" - Great Minds Think Alike. smile.gif

I'm with you about not putting up flyers. Not at this time anyway. Like you said, all your neighbors are on watch, too. Great!

Unfortunately, I also agree that it's a matter of time. May take days, a couple weeks, and has been known to take longer.

Hang in there and keep doing all you're doing. I have a feeling it may be a few days, but please don't hold me to that. Okay?

Many Comforting Hugs!

Always, Dottie xoxoxox

+Quote Post
jeff
post Sep 25 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #20

dont worry i wont, thank for all of your help. just talking about makes me feel better:) ill wait tonight to see if he goes into the cage, ill let you know in the mourning if anyhting happens:) thanks again

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:44 AM