3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ellie, New little girl joins the family
xxForeverxx
post Mar 16 2012, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,430

I started talki about Ellie in my topic about my baby Chewy but I decided here was the best place to carry on taking about our new little life as Chewy deserved his own topic whe I could talk to him through this place sometimes.

For those of you that dont know my baby Chewy was cruelly taken from me on January 3rd 2012 after a dog attacked him the day before. He taught me so much about love and well devastation was and still isn't a strong enou word to describe how I feel over losing him. I never planned on getting another cat....I have 2 11 month old kittens that we rescued from a ditch last June and the thought if replacing my baby boy just made me cry. But I kept looking at cat sanitary websites as for some reason they made me feel better....I can't understand why but I did. I came across one site where there was this 10 month old kitten called Ellie. She looked like my Chewy except obviously she was female. She had been a stray pregnant kitten (pregnant at such a young age!) and I felt sorry for her and her description was that all the carers loved her and she was a playful happy cat considering what she had been through....and it said she was special.

I didn't think anything of it as I didn't want another cat....bu something kept pulling me back to that site and after a month all ther other cats had been adopted and she hadn't.....I said to myself forget about it but a few weeks later she was still there so I said I would give it until my birthday week....by my birthday she was still there so I told my fiancé we had to go see her as I feel like I should....so we went there two days before my birthday on the 3rd of March....she was lovely and I knew I couldn't leave her....and then to my amazement they put her birthday down as the 5th of march.....the same as mine! Then I knew it must have been a sign right?

She didn't like my kittens too much t start with so we set her up in the spare room.

DannysMom and moon_beam thank you for your advice. I did as you said and every evening we allow them all to play in the sitting room as there is more space to escape and it is not Ellies territory (the kittens are quite laid back when it comes to territory) and it seems to be working. They still have a little squabble but the progress now is they are quite happy to walk past each other and leave each other alone so am thinking if we keep doing this over the next few weeks hopefully they will start tomproperly like each other?

xxForeverxx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Mar 16 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,464

xxForeverxx, I am so glad to hear that your little Ellie is getting along better with the kittens! smile.gif This is really great news! I am sure we all would love to see a photo of your little Ellie. I hope that she and the kittens will really get to like each other. It may also help to involve them all in playtime, like with a teaser or something. One other thing you could try is to rub one of Ellie's blankets on the kittens so that they have her scent on them. With cats you have to take small steps at a time to get them used to each other since they are so territorial. It is also important not to punish them when they get territorial as that can make it worse.

It took a few weeks for my Tina to get used to little Mindy, and Tina "beat up" on Mindy quite a few times (playfully) to let her know who is the boss. They do get along better now as long as Mindy gives Tina her space and doesn't bug her too much. Each cat is different. Sometimes it works out really well. Quite a few years back we had a young male cat and when we added a little girl kitty he accepted her quite easily and even snuggled with her and went on adventures with her. It just all depends on the cat.

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Mar 20 2012, 06:53 AM
Post #3

Hi DannysMom

Thank you for your reply. I will get a picture as soon as I can.

I took yours and moon_beams advice. As i set her up in the spare room I gave her a couple of blankets that the kittens had been on. (The kittens are very laid back and get a lot of love so do not mind us giving a couple of things to Ellie for a while.) We now allow them out in the house together while we are there as they seem slightly more settled.

Like your Tina and Mindy, Ellie and Fudge have a few little scraps but where as before Fudge was scared of her now he kind of paws back but not in a spiteful way and I even caught them laying down asleep in our bedroom the other night. And our little girl Pixie can walk past her and Ellie doesnt attack now so we are still shutting Ellie away when we are out the house but we are making good progress smile.gif

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
Bobbie
post Mar 21 2012, 07:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,068

Dear xxForeverxx,

Congratulations on your newest addition, Ellie! We are so happy for you and, while she will never replace Chewy, she is getting your very special love and attention that she so deserves. Good luck with her and the other kitties! (I'm about to post about my two new muttskies. Reading your post made it possible for me to do so without feeling unfaithful to Trevor!)

Again, Happy Days!

XOXOxoxo
Bobbie

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Mar 23 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #5

Hi Bobbie

Thank you for your reply.

You do not need to feel guilty about posting. You have your special place on here for your Trevor and I am sure he wants to know you are sharing more love with more babies as well.

Ellie is still doing much better with the kittens....I have to stop calling them kittens as there pretty much a year now....and only 2 months younger then Ellie! I cant help it though force of habit from when Chewy was with us.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Mar 25 2012, 10:43 AM
Post #6

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Forever, thank you so much for sharing your precious Ellie with us and she is progressing in settling into her new home with you and her house mates. I'm so very glad to know that Danny's Mom and I were able to give you some assistance. Just take it slow and easy. Even when the transition has been completed there will still be the occasional disagreement, but it won't last long and soon they will be back co-existing in harmony.

I hope today is treating you and your precious furkids kindly, Forever, and that you will have a very peaceful and blissful evening. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and look forward to knowing how things are going for you and your precious furkids.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post May 13 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #7

Hi, xxForeverxx, I was just thinking of you and was wondering how Ellie is doing. I'm sure by now she and the kittens must have become good friends.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post May 23 2012, 10:07 AM
Post #8

Hi DannysMom

Thank you for checking up. It has been a while since I have been on here I think I have just been keeping myself occupied especially with the sunny weather as if i sit still for too long it reminds me of how much I wish Chewy was here. But then I thought today by coming by here and maybe helping a few others etc is a way of paying tribute to my baby and showing just how much I still love him.

Well Ellie is all settled in now. All three of them are great. I brought a cat DVD to entertain the younger two sometimes after I lost Chewy and unfortunately Ellie has now got addicted watching tv. As soon as I walk through the door she runs and sits in front of the tv waiting for me to put it on. Bad I know but so funny! We have just brought them a massive new activity centre that we are going to build tonight. I have many photos of them all laying together. It's so warm today i wish I could let them all out. I just have a fear of doing it.

How are you feeling now? How is Mindy doing?

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 23 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #9

Forum Moderator

Hi, Forever, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Ellie are doing, and all of your family. I am so chuckling at your precious Ellie being "addicted" to the videos. That is so cute. The activity center sounds wonderful. I'm looking forward to knowing how your precious companions enjoy it.

Even though we embrace the love and companionship of new fur children, our hearts always remember those who have preceded us to the angels. Each companion has their own special place in our hearts and lives forever.

Thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing, Forever, and how your precious furkids are doing. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to sharing your news.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post May 23 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (xxForeverxx @ May 23 2012, 11:07 AM) *
Hi DannysMom

Thank you for checking up. It has been a while since I have been on here I think I have just been keeping myself occupied especially with the sunny weather as if i sit still for too long it reminds me of how much I wish Chewy was here. But then I thought today by coming by here and maybe helping a few others etc is a way of paying tribute to my baby and showing just how much I still love him.

Well Ellie is all settled in now. All three of them are great. I brought a cat DVD to entertain the younger two sometimes after I lost Chewy and unfortunately Ellie has now got addicted watching tv. As soon as I walk through the door she runs and sits in front of the tv waiting for me to put it on. Bad I know but so funny! We have just brought them a massive new activity centre that we are going to build tonight. I have many photos of them all laying together. It's so warm today i wish I could let them all out. I just have a fear of doing it.

How are you feeling now? How is Mindy doing?

xxForeverxx

Hi, xxForeverxx! It is so good of you to come back here and post. I missed you. I am so happy for you that Ellie settled in so nicely and is getting along with the kittens. How delightful about the kitty tv! My cats always enjoyed watching movies with me, and the cat DVD is probably great entertainment for them. smile.gif You should post some photos of Ellie and the kittens, would love to see them! Congrats on the cat activity center! I just know your fur kids are going to love it since cats love to climb and have something to scratch on.

I can definitely understand your fear of letting them out. There are some safe ways to let them go outside. I've seen these big 'kitty tunnels' and 'kitty tents' that you could put up in your backyard and put the cats inside. That way they can enjoy the outside, but are safely contained

I am still grieving very much over the loss of Tina (she died April 28, only 4 months after Danny). She was with me for 14 years and I greatly miss her presence. Mindy is doing fine. She has gained a bit more weight than she should have! She is getting along well with the new family addition, a calico cat named Shelley (see New Beginnings).

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Jun 8 2012, 05:42 AM
Post #11

Thank you moon_beam and DannysMom for your replies. I have attached a couple of photos one showing Ellie and the other showing Fudge and Pixie together. I have loads on my phone of them together so hopefully I can get more soon. I take photos all of the time of them! it was the same with Chewy....I have hundreds of him.....although I thank god I did take the photos as i feel I have captured many good memories.

All the cats are currently asleep on their cat activity centre......they sleep on that all day and night lol to be a cat ey! I will let them out one day but either when we move somewhere safer or like you suggested DannysMom get an outdoor tunnel or tent etc so they can enjoy the out doors without the dangers.

I have a wonderful photo moon_beam of Ellie and Pixie watching tv together which I will put up next time.

Was just about to hoover and Fudge has taken one look at the Henry hoover and gone to his spot underneath the bed cover upstairs in the bedroom.....I have a good photo of him under there too!

I am now going to have a look at your posts DannysMom see how you are etc so see you there smile.gif

xxForeverxx
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jun 8 2012, 08:53 PM
Post #12

Oh, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these photos!!! smile.gif Your Ellie is a beautiful little girl, and that photo of Pixie and Fudge is so precious. How wonderful that they are both Tuxedo cats!!! smile.gif I remember you saying how Fudge looks so much like Mindy, and indeed he does. Are Pixie and Fudge siblings? They look so happy together. That is a really nice cat gym that Ellie is sleeping in. I like the little paw prints all over. I haven't seen one like that over here. I've got a big 6' jungle gym with a kitty condo and two platforms for napping, but my girls aren't too interested in it. Shelley sometimes sleeps in the kitty condo. It looks like you have a beautiful garden out back. Your babies must be so happy to have your as their Mom! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jul 28 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #13

Hi xxForeverxx, I hope your kitties and bunnies are well. What is new in your household? I saw in your comment to Chewy that you are going on holiday. I hope it's a nice and relaxing one, and I hope Ellie, Fudge and Pixie are well taken care of in the meantime. It must be so nice to have two Tux cats, that is double the fun! I know Mindy is so clownish and playful, and she is also very gentle. Fudge and Pixie look so sweet. Whoever dumped these beautiful babies in a ditch doesn't know what they are missing out on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Jul 29 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #14

Forum Moderator

Hi, Forever, thank you so much for sharing with us how you, your precious Ellie, and Pixie and Fudge are doing, and thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pictures of them. It is so obvious that they know they are loved - - for their eyes reflect the love you give to them.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Ellie, Pixie and Fudge kindly, Forever. Thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing, and how your precious furkids are doing. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to sharing your news.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Aug 21 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #15

Thank you both for your replies.

Well Ellie has come back from the cattery a little more overweight then she was already! Need to get her exercising. Pixie threw a strop the second she got home and it took her a couple of days to liven up again and Fudge.....well Fudge is Fudge nothing much changes with him he just gets on with it.

Whilst we were away on holiday England had a little heatwave and annoyingly (as I flea my cats every month without fail) the heat caused an eperdemic of fleas. The vets said there had been outbreaks everywhere. Fingers crossed we have got rid of the little nasties. My cats do not have any on them. ewfwefwefwefgtrewa.......haha that is from Ellie who just kindly laid her head on the keyboard whilst I was taking a drink lol

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 22 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #16

Welcome back, xxForeverxx! I hope that you holiday was relaxing and fun. It sounds like you fur kids didn't get much exercise at the cattery. They probably just laid around all day. I'm glad they are back to "normal". Fudge sounds like he is really laid back, and his sister is probably more outgoing. How are they getting along with Ellie these days?

Fleas can be a really bad problem. Even if cats don't go outside it is easy to track them in on your shoes or they come in through open windows. I'm so glad that your fur tribe is flea-free! smile.gif

Ellie sounds like she is a real lap cat and enjoys being around you. Mindy is the lap cat in my household. She is much more laid back than Shelley (who is nicknamed "nervous Nellie"), and right now she is curled up on my lap. She has been screeching a lot this afternoon. Shelley is much more vocal and can be very demanding.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Dec 1 2012, 07:42 AM
Post #17

Hi DannysMom

They all get along so well now. Ellie had one small scratch on her nose after she came out the cattery but then three cats in one pen there was always going to be a little scrap.

She loves play fighting with Fudge. and Occasionally I will get a photo of them all laying together. Ellie loves laying on her back like a dog and loves nothing more than a belly rub. We wonder whether it is from where she had kittens so her belly is sensitive and she is more use to it being touched?

Fudge gave us a scare last week. We found him in our dining room at about half 9 in the evening, laying on his side with his eyes shut surrounded by sick and a little bit of diarrhoea. I was so scared. My fiance said he was shaking.....as he found him first. I carried him to one of their beds in the sitting room and laid him down then took him up with us at night where he stayed all night. And then by next morning he was fine and has been ever since! it was the strangest thing! I still keep and extra eye on him as I was sooooo worried!

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 1 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #18

xxForeverxx, I was sad to hear that your Fudge got sick and I can just imagine how that must have scared you and your fiance. I am relieved to hear that he is doing better. If the diarrhea was bloody then that would be a cause for concern. Cats sometimes get diarrhea from a change in diet or a virus or worm. You may want to have him checked for worms just in case. It can also be from stress.

I am glad that Ellie likes playing with Fudge. That is so sweet how you got pictures of all three of them together! smile.gif I know it makes you happy that they all get along.

Shelley also likes to get her tummy rubbed and she has had kittens as well. I know that it's a sign of absolute trust when they show you their tummies. Mindy loves getting her tummy rubbed. She rolls on her back lots of times during the day and enjoys being petted.

I just thought of something...do you have any plants in the house? Maybe Fudge nibbled on something and got sick from that. Most plants are toxic for cats, especially lilies.

I don't know if they have these in England, but over here you can buy little Santa hats for cats at Petsmart. I always wanted to buy one for Danny and take a photo, but I never did. I think your Fudge would look so cute with one (the red going so well with his black fur) and you could make custom Christmas cards from a photo.

I hope that Fudge will be okay and not get the diarrhea again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Dec 1 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #19

Forum Moderator

Hi, Forever, thank you so much forsharing with us how you and your precious Fudge, Pixie, and Ellie are doing. I, too, am so very glad that your precious Fudge is doing much better. DannysMom has given you some very good pointers as to what could have caused this episode. You may never know for certain, but I am sooooo glad he is doing much better.

I hope today is treating you and your precious companions kindly, Forever. Please know you and your precoius Fudge, Ellie, and Pixie are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how each of you are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Dec 13 2012, 06:20 AM
Post #20

Hi DannysMom and moon_beam

I know lillies are poisonous so I never have them in the house. I did not have any flowers in at the time except an aloe vera plant but it was somewhere I have never seen them get to before but it is always a possibility so we moved it straight after. The only other thing is we had a small bit of vanish on the carpet which maybe he licked but he was upstairs the whole time so it was weird. I am just glad he has been fine ever since.

Attached Image

Do you mean these kind of hats DannysMom? Ellie really does not look happy to have it on. I had to take the photo of them both really quickly lol I brought them at the start of december.....well I just brought one as I knew they would not wear them!

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:20 PM