IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Appetite!, (also was diagnosed with IBS/nutrient absorption problem)
LittleGirl's...
post Feb 21 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 274

Writing to see if anyone has dealt with this, or has any ideas:

Recently, my friend's kitty was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (the type where the intestines have a hard time absorbing nutrients). She was prescribed a medicine for this but because it is in capsule form, it needs to be sprinkled on food---and she has almost no appetite.

For the appetite problem, she's tried:
1) Mertazapine but had a bad reaction to it
2) Vitamine B1 injection, and
3) steroid injection.
Nothing has worked.

She's had in-depth blood testing and everything else is normal.

Thanks for reading. Any ideas would be appreciated. smile.gif

Kathy

--------------------
Compassion for all animals. www.earthlings.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Mar 1 2016, 11:09 AM
Post #2

Forum Moderator

Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Kathy, just noticed your query. Several years ago a canine companion of mine had Canine IBS / Crohn's Disease. The only medication that helped him was Prednisone. Of course this medication has side effects when taken long-term, but he could not function without it. He lived to almost 16 years old when his body just could no longer endure the effects of the IBS and Prednisone.

Has your friend's kitty undergone a barium study of her GI tract? This usually helps to show how the food is being processed from the stomach through the intestinal tract - - which might be helpful in diagnosing the loss of appetite.

I truly hope your friend's kitty is able to regain her appetite. When the GI tract is inflamed it surely does play havoc on the appetite, digestion, and how the rest of the body is feeling. Please know your friend's kitty is in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how she's doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
LittleGirl's...
post Mar 1 2016, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 274

Thank you so much moon_beam.

I will check with my friend on the barium study of the GI tract---great suggestion.

The steroid injection was Prednisone, and we were quite surprised when even that didn't stimulate her appetite!

Thank you for your suggestions and your prayers!

Kathy

--------------------
Compassion for all animals. www.earthlings.com

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Mar 2 2016, 03:56 PM
Post #4

Forum Moderator

Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Kathy, thank you so much for bringing us up to date about your friend's kitty. Please know she is my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:59 AM