> Missing My Babies Today
Monique
post Oct 22 2015, 09:11 AM
Post #221

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 8,373

QUOTE (lynette @ Oct 22 2015, 09:03 AM) *
Hi Monique.

They are not closed up in anyway, she can very easily access them. I put them back where she had them. Just last night though I wrapped them up in some towels. She knew they were there - she could hear them. This morning she was no where to be seen. Duchess was around though. And Ruby. I know Ruby has no milk, but maybe she'll keep them warm. My husband is setting up the heat lamp for them this morning. Should've done that last night but it was pitch black and there's no power out there. Hopefully, if they stay warm, they'll have a chance and still be alive tonight. God I hope so.

let's hope their little guardian angels are on the job. xo

--------------------

*~ * * ~*~ * * *~ * * ~*~ * * *~ * * ~*~ * *
............................Monique
('>...... (\ /)
/))...... ( . .) ..... (^..^)~ ..... ()..() ..... (<. .>
)
/"..... c('')('') ......." "............o................" "

+Quote Post
Monique
post Oct 22 2015, 09:20 AM
Post #222

QUOTE (lynette @ Oct 22 2015, 09:03 AM) *
Hi Monique.

They are not closed up in anyway, she can very easily access them. I put them back where she had them. Just last night though I wrapped them up in some towels. She knew they were there - she could hear them. This morning she was no where to be seen. Duchess was around though. And Ruby. I know Ruby has no milk, but maybe she'll keep them warm. My husband is setting up the heat lamp for them this morning. Should've done that last night but it was pitch black and there's no power out there. Hopefully, if they stay warm, they'll have a chance and still be alive tonight. God I hope so.

also, just because the mom was not with them this morning, doesn't mean she has abandoned them. she will leave her babies for hours at a time to get food for herself. so, there is hope if you found them warm this morning...

--------------------

('>...... (\ /)
)

+Quote Post
Monique
post Oct 22 2015, 09:22 AM
Post #223

btw, who is carly? your daughter? could she give them a little warm water with some honey in it? it could be they are on a sugar low. this will perk them up.

--------------------

('>...... (\ /)
)

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Oct 22 2015, 09:40 AM
Post #224

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Lynette, stopping in to say hello and to add my support to Monique's in your efforts to help these precious kittens. I know your beloved companions are looking over them, too. Whatever happens you are doing the best you can for them, and maybe you can guide their mom into the garage so that they will be reunited and she can resume taking care of her babies. Please let us know how things go.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lynette
post Oct 22 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #225

Member No.: 5,667

Carly is my daughter. She's at work all day too, so unfortunately, nobody there to help them till I get home at six. I've never tried honey - will that work?

These kittens were at death's door last night. They were left for more than a couple hours. Something happened. I know they take off for hours at a time to go hunting, but they're usually back to feed them. These cats were cold, very cold. Some of them couldn't even open their eyes. I hope she's around and I hope she goes and feeds them before it's too late. I would like to see some of them survive at least.

+Quote Post
lynette
post Oct 22 2015, 09:59 AM
Post #226

Thanks Moonbeam.

I appreciate your concern and help.

+Quote Post
lynette
post Oct 22 2015, 10:32 AM
Post #227

Two are gone already. My husband tried feeding them, but he said they're cold already. Hopefully, the heat lamp will warm them up.

+Quote Post
Monique
post Oct 22 2015, 11:46 AM
Post #228

QUOTE (lynette @ Oct 22 2015, 10:32 AM) *
Two are gone already. My husband tried feeding them, but he said they're cold already. Hopefully, the heat lamp will warm them up.

i'm so sorry to hear! how heartbreaking.

yes, honey in warm water will help to repair sugar lows. they need to be warmed up before they can be fed.

--------------------

('>...... (\ /)
)

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Oct 22 2015, 01:22 PM
Post #229

Forum Moderator

Hi, lynette, adding my deepest sympathies in the physical loss of two of the kittens. In addition to Monique's assistance here are a couple of other suggestions that might be helpful: If you don't have any honey - - or not enough for everyone - - you can substitute with clear Karo syrup (not the dark). If you have any NutriCal on hand this will also help to boost their sugar levels as well as provide other supplemental nutrients. Kittens this young are extremely vulnerable and even with professional intervention they do not always survive. So please do NOT blame yourself if these precious souls are not strong enough to survive. Please know you and the kittens are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
lynette
post Oct 22 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #230

Well, almost time to go home and see if any of my little kitties survived. I sure hope so. Poor little things.

+Quote Post
lynette
post Oct 22 2015, 06:59 PM
Post #231

So only one has survived. And he was pretty bad, didn't think he'd make it. I brought him in and tried the honey and water remedy. And then a bit of milk. Took the dogs for a walk so wrapped him up and stuck him inside my shirt against my skin. He's warmed up a lot, but now I'm wondering if he'll end up with some brain damage after being hungry for so long. I hope not poor little thing. He's trying. He's started squirming and squealing a bit. I still have him down my shirt. I can't believe the mother is still here and wants absolutely nothing to do with them. Nature sure is cruel.

+Quote Post
Monique
post Oct 22 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #232

QUOTE (lynette @ Oct 22 2015, 06:59 PM) *
So only one has survived. And he was pretty bad, didn't think he'd make it. I brought him in and tried the honey and water remedy. And then a bit of milk. Took the dogs for a walk so wrapped him up and stuck him inside my shirt against my skin. He's warmed up a lot, but now I'm wondering if he'll end up with some brain damage after being hungry for so long. I hope not poor little thing. He's trying. He's started squirming and squealing a bit. I still have him down my shirt. I can't believe the mother is still here and wants absolutely nothing to do with them. Nature sure is cruel.

i am so very sorry for this massive and ongoing upset. i do firmly believe that mother nature has a selection process built in to her design. mothers of all species, except for what i have witnessed with humans, have very strong maternal instincts. for a mother cat to not tend lovingly and conscientiously to her little ones, you can rest assured there is a reason. it is well possible that they have something congenital or maybe distemper and she knows they will not survive. or, with the weather being already well below zero, this is a very unnatural time to have babies, and so by perhaps by some internal signal, she tried to spare her babies from very cruel lives trying to survive a very long and harsh winter.

i am glad you are caring for the lone survivor. he will need lots of warmth, love and care to survive. hearing and feeling your heartbeat simulates his mom's and i'm sure this is helping to stabilize him. if you have access to raw goat's milk, that would be really good for him. oh, and you may have to help him to use the bathroom- have you ever done this? rub his tummy with a warm wash cloth to stimulate him to go...

--------------------

('>...... (\ /)
)

+Quote Post
lynette
post Oct 22 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #233

Hi Monique.

He seems to be doing well. Moving around and squealing. The bathroom thing - don't have to worry, my dog Casey is taking care of that! He just drank a syringe full of milk. I think he wants his mamma though. Or his siblings. I'm gonna keep him in the house till he's strong enough. I know then that the others will take care of him and perhaps we will have found him a home by then anyway. He sure is a lot better than when I got home. I think he may actually survive.

Goats milk would be better? My parents have goats, but not sure if they have any that are milking. Not sure if they've started kidding yet or not. I can ask them tomorrow. For now, he's getting whole milk. I fed this to Duchess and her siblings last year and they survived.

Anyway, gotta see if I can get this little guy to sleep. He's been awake since six this evening. Been trying to come up with a name for him too.

Thanks for your concern. I hope you are doing well.

Thank you for being there for me.

Lynette

+Quote Post
Monique
post Oct 23 2015, 06:56 AM
Post #234

QUOTE (lynette @ Oct 22 2015, 09:44 PM) *
Hi Monique.

He seems to be doing well. Moving around and squealing. The bathroom thing - don't have to worry, my dog Casey is taking care of that! He just drank a syringe full of milk. I think he wants his mamma though. Or his siblings. I'm gonna keep him in the house till he's strong enough. I know then that the others will take care of him and perhaps we will have found him a home by then anyway. He sure is a lot better than when I got home. I think he may actually survive.

Goats milk would be better? My parents have goats, but not sure if they have any that are milking. Not sure if they've started kidding yet or not. I can ask them tomorrow. For now, he's getting whole milk. I fed this to Duchess and her siblings last year and they survived.

Anyway, gotta see if I can get this little guy to sleep. He's been awake since six this evening. Been trying to come up with a name for him too.

Thanks for your concern. I hope you are doing well.

Thank you for being there for me.

Lynette

that is great all around news! so glad he is doing well. that's what i've heard regarding raw goat's milk,...

take care!

--------------------

('>...... (\ /)
)

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Oct 23 2015, 12:09 PM
Post #235

Forum Moderator

Hi, lynette, thank you so much for sharing with us how your little survivor is doing. I know you are doing everything in your human and humane power to help this little fellow not only survive but have a long, healthy, and happy life. Please know you and this little precious soul are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
lynette
post Oct 23 2015, 09:10 PM
Post #236

Hi.

Charlie just died in my arms. Poor thing. I really thought he might pull through. But I think his lungs filled with fluid, same with his belly. I guess he was just too far gone when I got home last night. I held him and told him I love him and he slipped away. And I cried. Tomorrow I will bury him next to Jewel (who died last year, Duchess' sister). I suppose it's for the best, but I really wanted him to pull through.

Duchess' litter are going to next week. A cousin of my husband's has found them homes. That's a good thing.

Thanks angels for watching over them. Now they are there with you. Take good care of them. Tell them I love them.

I love you all. I miss you so much.

Love forever and ever, Mum.

+Quote Post
lynette
post Oct 23 2015, 09:29 PM
Post #237

Tonight I go to bed crying - again. Too much pain and sadness. I know they were only here for a short while, but still they shouldn't have had to suffer like that. I don't understand how the mother could do that now. Why not when they were born? I thought maybe something had happened to her, but she's still around. I'm not liking her very much right now. And maybe I shouldn't have tried to intervene. Poor Charlie wouldn't have suffered today if I'd left him yesterday. God, I hate this. I really thought he was a fighter. And I know he was, he just was too weak.

Tonight I'm gonna hug the pupper doodles a little tighter and tell them how much I love them - over and over again.

Good night my precious angels. Sweet dreams. I love you.

Mum.

+Quote Post
Monique
post Oct 24 2015, 06:52 AM
Post #238

i am so very sorry to read this news. i really and truly believe they may have had distemper or something else that caused the mom to leave them. please don't feel ill of her. she was following nature's guidance. you may want to trap her and have her vetted (including spay and tested for distemper) so that she is free of having unwanted kittens.

xoxoxo

--------------------

('>...... (\ /)
)

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Oct 24 2015, 11:23 AM
Post #239

Forum Moderator

Hi. lynette, adding my sincerest sympathies in the physical loss of your precious soul Charlie. When I was a very young girl many eons of years ago we had a female cat named Pudgy who had a large litter of kittens. At that time neither of my parents believed much in veterinary care and sadly one of her litters born in the summer died one by one within days of each other. None of them had exhibited any apparent sign of illness, but it was obvious that "something" had gone through the litter of kittens. I was truly saddened by this event - - my other siblings and parents "got over it". Pudgy really didn't have any "motherly" instincts - - but her mom Fluffy did, and there were often times when Fluffy would "scold" her daughter about her lack of attention to her kittens, and Fluffy would do her best to take care of her "grandchildren." Sometimes despite our best efforts, though, Nature understands the "consequences" of our intervention better and steps in to stop a cycle of heartbreak before it gets too advanced. However this doesn't stop our hearts from aching. So, like our forum friend Monique, I can really understand how upset you are about losing this litter of precious souls. You really did everything you could for them.

I hope today is treating you and all of your precious companions kindly, lynette, and that you will have a peaceful evening blessed with each of your beloved companions' sweet Living Spirits to comfort you. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
lynette
post Oct 24 2015, 12:50 PM
Post #240

Thank you both for your thoughts and concerns. It is greatly appreciated.

I know all of this is just part of "farm life". Even though we don't actually farm, the cats are really here only to keep the mouse population down. Doesn't stop me from falling in love with them though. Unfortunately cats come and go here all the time. Sometimes, we're lucky enough to find homes for the new kittens.

I buried Charlie this morning. Next to Lily, George, Mamma, Grey and Jewel. I know he can now be happy and healthy where he is now. As much as I wanted him to survive, I know he's better off wherever he is now. There is no guarantee that we could've found him a home. And being a male, he more than likely would've been chased off when he was older.

Oh well, at least there is some good news - Duchess' four kittens will have a forever home. I'll miss them terribly, but this is the best thing for them. They'll have a long happy life for sure.

I feel okay today. I know this is what is supposed to be. I do not believe in God's will, but I know that nature is survival of the fittest. I also know that nature can be very cruel. And living out in the country this is a part of life.

Anyway, hope you both are doing well today.

Thanks. Lynette.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:09 PM