IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dog Having Seizures Then Slipping Into Comatose State....help!
bluedianey
post Dec 28 2013, 01:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 8,186

Hi, my dog, my "baby" Gizmo a Rat Terrier/Pom is 3 1/2 and just started having seizures. his first one he was stiff and laying on his side, no movement but his eyeballs. He was tested for lymes, he was positive so we treated and thought all was ok. Then a few months later he was trotting along, legs crumpled, he fell, looked like strings pulled his legs straigt and pulled him onto his back, legs straight in air, then he rolled over and trotted off. a week ago he started getting clingy a few days before his next seizure. He was stiff and walking funny. Then on the day of....he started barking (he never barks) and I took him out to potty, I noticed immediantly he was totally blind...couldn't see a thing. Then he fell, got up, fell, 5 times. I picked him up and brought in house. he layed on carpet and head would drop and he would jerk it up, then drop and hed jerk it up. I picked him up and he was like steel....his body arched stiffly to right and was rigid. I layed him on sofa by me, his head dropped and he rolled to lay on side...his eyes tuned forward into fixed gaze with eyes half lidded and he slipped into a coma. he was completely unresponsive to anyting for almost 2 hours. My vet doesn't seem to believe me and is not doing anything... HELP!!!!!! I am afraid with the severity of this seizure his next might be his last...HELPPPPPPPPPP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Dec 28 2013, 02:45 PM
Post #2

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, bluedianey, please permit me to try to offer you some comfort and encouragement in what is happening with your precious Gizmo. First and foremost - - since your veterinary care provider is not taking you seriously you need to find a vet practitioner who will. Seizures can be caused from so many different things. Do you have a 24 hour vet ER hospital close to you or within reasonable driving distance? If so, when your precious Gizmo is having another seizure TAKE HIM IMMEDIATELY TO THE ER HOSPITAL. Although not all seizures can be traced to a definitive medical condition, the symptoms NEED TO BE APPROPRIATELY TREATED.

None of us here can tell you what is happening, but we are here to offer you and your precious Gizmo support and encouragement in all circumstances. Only a qualified veterinary practitioner can properly treat your beloved Gizmo, and the best way to obtain that is when he is in the midst of a seizure.

I hope you will be able to find a veterinary practitioner who will take your valid concerns for your precious Gizmo seriously, bluedianey. Please know you and your precious Gizmo are in my thoughts and prayers, and please do let us know how your precious Gizmo is doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
bluedianey
post Dec 28 2013, 11:41 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,186

QUOTE (moon_beam @ Dec 28 2013, 03:45 PM) *
Hi, bluedianey, please permit me to try to offer you some comfort and encouragement in what is happening with your precious Gizmo. First and foremost - - since your veterinary care provider is not taking you seriously you need to find a vet practitioner who will. Seizures can be caused from so many different things. Do you have a 24 hour vet ER hospital close to you or within reasonable driving distance? If so, when your precious Gizmo is having another seizure TAKE HIM IMMEDIATELY TO THE ER HOSPITAL. Although not all seizures can be traced to a definitive medical condition, the symptoms NEED TO BE APPROPRIATELY TREATED.

None of us here can tell you what is happening, but we are here to offer you and your precious Gizmo support and encouragement in all circumstances. Only a qualified veterinary practitioner can properly treat your beloved Gizmo, and the best way to obtain that is when he is in the midst of a seizure.

I hope you will be able to find a veterinary practitioner who will take your valid concerns for your precious Gizmo seriously, bluedianey. Please know you and your precious Gizmo are in my thoughts and prayers, and please do let us know how your precious Gizmo is doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

Hi moon_beam,
I can't thank you enough for your kind words, I have been simply lost.
I have always had a dog throughout my life and have never seen any kind of seizure. I, of course, have been searching the internet for any info I can find and there isn't a lot. I have been taking Giz to the vet closest to my house but I just don't feel at all comfortable with his response. He is really a young guy and probably not very experienced, I took Giz in to see the vet two days before his seizure because of his stiffness and head tilt and I could see he was in pain. Giz, unfortunately has "floating knee caps" and his one back leg is bad and will soon need surgery The vet contributed all his symptoms to the pain from his leg. Giz was also shaking continuously by this tim. I was concerned he might have got reinfected with lymes so they did give him a antibiotic shot at the vets office. But, when I left I just knew there was more going on. Two days later he had his really bad seizure and I called a on call vet who told me he had had a seizure and this was definitely not lymes.
Then all the pieces just fell into place for me. He had a seizure last summer too
I have been to a vet across town who is much older and I am going to go see him. He also takes calls all night. It is just so weird and I guess I kind of freaked out.
I recently finished up a year long chemo treatment and just have not been myself and the realization of what is happening to Giz just panicked me.
I am going to "bend your ear" for a bit here. My last dog, Milo, was a Jack Russell and he and I had a very special connection, I have never been so close to a dog---not even Giz. Giz comes close but you know how there is that one special dog that reads your mind and you his. Anyway....I babble... Milo got Lymes and he never presented with any symptoms at all, nothing. I treated him with the tick medicine and he got the shot but anyway, I started failing from my illness-- undiagnosed at the time, and I got more and more weak and tired. Then Milo lost his appetite began vomiting. I took him to this vet THREE times and it wasn't until the third visit that they tested him for lymes. He was positive and by then his kidneys had failed. I brought him home until he started hanging out in the closet and I had to put him to sleep. I adopted Gizmo from the shelter about 4 months later. I was dropping off some of Milo's unused meds and decided to just "take a look".
I knew I was gonna get a dog but was determined to not get a like breed or color and I was gonna get a female. But there was Giz, Rat Terrier mix with same markings and masked face just like Milo only giz was a puppy and smaller. I took him for a walk and we clicked and I took him home. He had his first seizure when I was very very ill from the chemo, I feel so bad ---- I woke up at 7am to take my meds and he was laying on his side by me in bed, he looked asleep. I woke up at noon to take more meds and he hadn't moved. I panicked, he was sluggish and wobbly. Took him to vet and he to tested positive for lymes and was treated for that. I didn't realize till late.r that he had had a seizure. At the vets he could not stand up or control his legs. Anyway, I am getting better and I swear Giz is gonna get better too.
Anyway, Iam sorry to blab but you were so kind with your advice and you are right I need to change vets and get him better care. I am not gonna lose another dog so young and so quickly.

Question for you.... Giz improved after his seizure, do you think there is any connection between the lymes disease and seizures or is it just a fluke that the lymes treatment of antibiotics coincided with his improvement. Or do dogs usually improve after the seizure happens. The word encephalitis keeps popping into my head. I guess I need to keep a really good log and RUN him in when I notice the Aura beginning. Funny...Giz literally clung to me about 2 days before and up until the seizure, I think he knew something was happening. And the blindness was absolutely frightening --- Gosh, it has been a year full of "rarities" for me. Several things have happened that I was told "oh,that is SO rare and just doesn't happen" and then they did happen to me.
Here is to 2014!!!!! A better year for everyone!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Bluedianey[attachment=6378:gizmo.htm]
[/font][/
code]
Attached File(s)
Attached File  gizmo.htm ( 295.45K ) Number of downloads: 188

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Dec 29 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #4

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, bluedianey, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Gizmo are doing. Yes, it is perfectly normal for dogs, cats, humans to come out of a seizure episode perfectly okay - - as though nothing had happened. And, it is not unusual for there to be an "aura" of change of behavior, etc., prior to the onset of a seizure. Blindness during a seizure can also be quite normal. HOWEVER, as seizures progress in frequency and intensity there is always the risk / reality that the dog, cat, person having the seizure will not survive. So it is very important that you find a veterinary care provider who is familiar with seizures who will be available to you when you need to seek treatment for your precious Gizmo.

And I wish to offer you some comfort with your medical journey with cancer. Please do NOT feel guilty about not "understanding" or "realizing" what has been happening with your precious Gizmo's health. There is no doubt in my mind that you are doing the very best you can under very difficult circumstances with YOUR health concerns, so please do not blame or doubt yourself for ANYTHING.

I am not a vet, so I can only answer your questions with my own speculation regarding the connection between the treatment for Lyme's and your precious Gizmo's improvement: in my limited opinion, I do not think there is any connection. As I mentioned before, it is quite normal for a dog, cat, human to improve after a seizure event without any intervention. However, it is important to try to determine the cause of Gizmo's seizures, if possible - - but in any event to begin treatment for the seizures.

Bluedianey, thank you so much for sharing your precious Gizmo with us. Please know you and your precious boy are in my thoughts and prayers, and please do let us know how things are going for the both of you.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Shadow Dancer
post Jan 17 2014, 11:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,207

Hi bluedianey,

Seeing your beloved pet having a seizure nothing less than terrifying. When our siberian husky Storm had her first seizure, that was the first time my husband and I had ever seen one. I was freaked right out. I can deal with a lot of situations, but there are three things that I can't deal with, psychosis, seizures and my kids throwing up when they were little.

My husband having been a first responder, his training kicked in and he dealt with Storm and I called our vet. Actually Storm had the seizure as we were getting her in the car to take her to the vet because she was just not herself. She came out of the seizure, we got her in the car and off she went on the hour long drive to our Vet clinic. He went over her with a fine tooth comb, ran some blood work and everything came back normal. My husband headed back home with her, and the vet called me to say he couldn't find a problem and she was on her way home, but just in case, he gave my husband rectal valium should she have another seizure and it lasted longer than five minutes. I was overwhelmed with anxiety that this dog was going to come home and have another seizure.

Every move Storm made I was on eggshells, watching her like a hawk for fear she would seize again. I made my husband take her with him when he went to have a shower because I was terrified she'd have another one. Poor man couldn't have any privacy for anything, I made him take her with him, and I'm sure he thought his wife was totally losing it. The next morning I had to go to town, my husband was moving the vehicles around so I could take the car, I took Storm out to do the potty dance and as we were walking down the path to the back yard I noticed she kept turning her head to the side, we went through the gate and she floppped down against the snow bank and was looking around and then she went stiff and another seizure started. I started screaming for my husband and he came running, I ran into the house and called the vet and he said it was time to put her on medication. Told me to come pick up the prescription. We were lucky, the phenobarbitol worked and Storm hasn't had another seizure in almost a year.

But she still didn't seem herself, and I spoke to the vet about it a month later and I asked him to do a thyroid panel on her. So the next day hubby took her into the clinic and sure enough her tyroid panel came back borderline low. She was started on medication for that and within a week she was back to her lovable self. Thyroid problems can cause seizures in dogs and it's a simple test to check the levels.

Storm was fine after her seizure, she was a bit disoriented, but within an hour she was fine. The problem with seizures is if they continue for any length of time, it can cause the dogs temperature to elevate and that is dangerous because if their body temperature gets too high their organs can be damaged and start to shut down. That's what happened with our beloved Thunder. He seizured for almost 2.5 hours by the time we got him to the clinic and his heart was damaged, he had pulmonary edema, his brain was damaged, and his organs were shutting down and there was nothing the vet could do and we had to be kind and put him down. Thunder was 3 years and 10 months old and that was his first episode having a seizure. Even though we gave him phenobarbitol as the vet directed from Storms prescription, it had no effect.

Our vet now wants us to have rectal valium on hand should Storm ever get into a crisis, because we are so far away from the clinic, the valium could buy us some time to get her there. I told our vet if she starts having seizures again, she's going straight into the car and heading for his clinic and I don't care if it's 3 o'clock in the morning, we aren't going to watch her go through what Thunder went through, that was horrific to see and we were traumatized seeing our beautiful Thunder like that.

Seizures are serious and can become a medical emergency very quickly.

QUOTE (bluedianey @ Dec 28 2013, 10:41 PM) *
Hi moon_beam,
I can't thank you enough for your kind words, I have been simply lost.
I have always had a dog throughout my life and have never seen any kind of seizure. I, of course, have been searching the internet for any info I can find and there isn't a lot. I have been taking Giz to the vet closest to my house but I just don't feel at all comfortable with his response. He is really a young guy and probably not very experienced, I took Giz in to see the vet two days before his seizure because of his stiffness and head tilt and I could see he was in pain. Giz, unfortunately has "floating knee caps" and his one back leg is bad and will soon need surgery The vet contributed all his symptoms to the pain from his leg. Giz was also shaking continuously by this tim. I was concerned he might have got reinfected with lymes so they did give him a antibiotic shot at the vets office. But, when I left I just knew there was more going on. Two days later he had his really bad seizure and I called a on call vet who told me he had had a seizure and this was definitely not lymes.
Then all the pieces just fell into place for me. He had a seizure last summer too
I have been to a vet across town who is much older and I am going to go see him. He also takes calls all night. It is just so weird and I guess I kind of freaked out.
I recently finished up a year long chemo treatment and just have not been myself and the realization of what is happening to Giz just panicked me.
I am going to "bend your ear" for a bit here. My last dog, Milo, was a Jack Russell and he and I had a very special connection, I have never been so close to a dog---not even Giz. Giz comes close but you know how there is that one special dog that reads your mind and you his. Anyway....I babble... Milo got Lymes and he never presented with any symptoms at all, nothing. I treated him with the tick medicine and he got the shot but anyway, I started failing from my illness-- undiagnosed at the time, and I got more and more weak and tired. Then Milo lost his appetite began vomiting. I took him to this vet THREE times and it wasn't until the third visit that they tested him for lymes. He was positive and by then his kidneys had failed. I brought him home until he started hanging out in the closet and I had to put him to sleep. I adopted Gizmo from the shelter about 4 months later. I was dropping off some of Milo's unused meds and decided to just "take a look".
I knew I was gonna get a dog but was determined to not get a like breed or color and I was gonna get a female. But there was Giz, Rat Terrier mix with same markings and masked face just like Milo only giz was a puppy and smaller. I took him for a walk and we clicked and I took him home. He had his first seizure when I was very very ill from the chemo, I feel so bad ---- I woke up at 7am to take my meds and he was laying on his side by me in bed, he looked asleep. I woke up at noon to take more meds and he hadn't moved. I panicked, he was sluggish and wobbly. Took him to vet and he to tested positive for lymes and was treated for that. I didn't realize till late.r that he had had a seizure. At the vets he could not stand up or control his legs. Anyway, I am getting better and I swear Giz is gonna get better too.
Anyway, Iam sorry to blab but you were so kind with your advice and you are right I need to change vets and get him better care. I am not gonna lose another dog so young and so quickly.

Question for you.... Giz improved after his seizure, do you think there is any connection between the lymes disease and seizures or is it just a fluke that the lymes treatment of antibiotics coincided with his improvement. Or do dogs usually improve after the seizure happens. The word encephalitis keeps popping into my head. I guess I need to keep a really good log and RUN him in when I notice the Aura beginning. Funny...Giz literally clung to me about 2 days before and up until the seizure, I think he knew something was happening. And the blindness was absolutely frightening --- Gosh, it has been a year full of "rarities" for me. Several things have happened that I was told "oh,that is SO rare and just doesn't happen" and then they did happen to me.
Here is to 2014!!!!! A better year for everyone!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Bluedianey[attachment=6378:gizmo.htm]
[/font][/
code]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:00 AM