Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kitten Being Retested For Feline Leukemia ... Need Help
Casey's Mom
post Jan 26 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 5,200

I lost my beloved Casey back in October, and was adopted by an adorable male, gray/white tuxedo from the humane society in late December. Jasper has absolutely shown me that I can love another kitty again!

Two weeks ago I adopted a sister for him from the same humae society people, and she has been sick since I got her. She tested negative for FeLV and FIV. She was on the streets with her sister and the humane society had her for a few days before I adopted her. Pretty much she has had a chronic fever and soft stools since I got her. The vet is hoping that it is just a "bad cold" and she is on metronaidazole and zithromax now (was on Clavamox). She has already given her "cold" to Jasper, who had to make a quick trip to the ER with a 105 degre fever. He has been seen by the vet too and is doing fine (also now on Zithromax).

He said that he wanted to retest for FeLV and FIV since she seems to have this chronic fever. Now I'm terrified that she could have given it to Jasper too is she comes back with a positive. I've kept them pretty much separated since I got her because of her illness and only let them be together when I'm home at night.

The vet said that he's seen a lot of chronic fevers come through this season with kittens, and sometimes they have to go through a few antibiotics before they get well. I'm hoping that this is the case. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what you found out. Any help is appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Lisa
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Casey's Mom
post Jan 26 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,200

Forgot to add one more thing about Maisey (the femila kitten being retested) ... she has a lessened sensitivity on the right side of her face and cannot completely close her right eye. Her vet did some tests on her with a hemostat and said that it could be just an inflamed nerve, cyst pressing on the nerve, etc. Right now that is not my main concern, as it doesn't seem to affect her at all. She is eating normally and has gained a pound since I got her 2 weeks ago.

Has anyone experienced this too?

+Quote Post
sissycat
post Jan 29 2009, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,783

No sorry I am of no help to you.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Furkidlets' Mom
post Jan 29 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 961

Please see these related articles on these illnesses:
feLV & FIV
Living With FIV
Testing for feLV & FIV (guidelines) (this is about feral cats, but the section about testing, and a few other parts, still applies)
Hoosier Kitties resource links And from this resource page, esp. see this link:
here.

I also include a link to a discussion about this before, here on LS: here.

There is also an extensive compilation of various articles from a board user named "justncase" on another animal forum: here. (scroll down just a little way to find this one)
One more, that mentions the use of the product "Transfer Factor" (an excellent product) as immune support for these (and many other) diseases, or for prevention, is on Shirley's Wellness Cafe. (again, scroll down just a little way)

This should get you started on what-all needs to be considered with these diseases. I know it's a real handful, and there are many more articles out there too, but the more you know, the better the chances for either treating or warding off such conditions.

One note I'd like to add...
It may have also been rather too bad that antibiotics were used first, as fever is actually the body's natural and wise response (exactly why we get one) to infection and is very often one of THE best defenses to destroying a pathogen, along with the antibody build-up that normally also occurs as part of the response to illness. Depending on the severity of the fever, interrupting its process can actually hinder resolution of disease, rather than aid it. Dr. Hamilton says of fever in cats that they commonly go up to 104.5 F. and sometimes over 106. He doesn't believe high fevers are harmful and especially doesn't worry unless it reaches 105 in dogs, or 106 in cats, and only then IF the fever is prolonged. According to homeopathic disciplines, "fever is almost always a good reaction" and homeopathic treatment doesn't try to directly stop the fever, but attempts to instead remove the NEED for the fever. A fever indicates inflammation, but not necessarily infection, and if there IS an infection, it is normally a VIRAL infection, in which case antibiotics are useless (they don't kill viruses, ONLY bacteria). So if your cat's symptoms are being 'effectively' dampened by an antibiotic, it's likely NOT a virus at all, unless there's a concurrent or ancillary infection also present.

--------------------
"I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you."

[center]~Anonymous~

<div align="center">"Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart - but in it"[/center]

~Fleur Conkling Heylinger~

>^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^<

"For one species to mourn the death of another is a noble thing"

~Aldo Leopold~

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage. ~Sri Aurobindo

Spay now or pay later, the interest is killing us.

</span></div>

+Quote Post
LoveThem
post Jan 29 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,876

A short update about the tests: Negative for FeLV and FIV, positive for coronavirus which may cause FIP.

Hope Casey's Mom can add to this update after talking with her vet about the tests.

Hugs to Lisa and Maisey wub.gif

Judy

--------------------
LITTLE GUY - May 28, 1991 - Sept 10, 2007 - Always in my Heart.
His story: Section D&D: How do I stop crying? and also... My Boy is Gone Forever.

+Quote Post
Furkidlets' Mom
post Jan 29 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 961

In that case, Dr. Pitcairn's book has some info. on this (as well as things on the 'net, of course, that I don't have time to look up now). But this is what he says, among other things (highlighting mine):
"Unfortunately, the diagnostic test to see if a cat is carrying the virus is extremely inaccurate. There are too many other related viruses that are mild and insignificant that will give false positives on the test, indicating a problem when there is none. Many vets no longer even test for this virus."
and
"The more severe forms require very careful and persistent trtmnt. under the guidance of a vet. I strongly suggest not using antibiotics or corticosteroids, however, as these drugs do not help at all and only further weaken the cat."

Dr. Pitcairn goes on to say that despite its severity, he's had "very satisfying" results in "the majority of cases" he's treated with homeopathy and nutrition.....so once again, it still comes back to proper and wiser treatment decisions and the right kind of vet who doesn't consider diseases such as these necessarily as certain 'death sentences'. He makes the point, though, that if it's the form that causes fluid build-up in the chest and abdomen, that form is usually eventually fatal.

It's pretty obvious to me that with alternative treatment methods (and thinking) and proper nutritional supports, there is still much to some hope, whereas with conventional western treatment methods, there is little to none. And with that thought in mind, here's a link to a fairly large list of holistic vets she may wish to consult.

--------------------
"I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you."

[center]~Anonymous~

<div align="center">"Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart - but in it"[/center]

~Fleur Conkling Heylinger~

>^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^<

"For one species to mourn the death of another is a noble thing"

~Aldo Leopold~

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage. ~Sri Aurobindo

Spay now or pay later, the interest is killing us.

</span></div>

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:01 AM