IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies
> Pet Loss Books, Dvds, Cds, Etc., religious, non-religious/spiritual resources to buy
Furkidlets' Mom
post Dec 21 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 961

Here's a list of online ordering resources I happened across today, dealing with pet loss. For those of you who need reassurances from a religious/biblical perspective, there is much in this list of books, videos, etc. There are also a few less denominational selections, for those who find less or no comfort from mainstream religious perspectives. See petlossbooks.com

I haven't read any of these myself, so can't comment on how good they may be, but one I'm in the midst of reading now which I'm finding to be (so far) one of the best I've ever read, is Saying Goodbye to Your Angel Animals. Included are lovely exercises and meditations to help one deal with the loss.

For some other books (I'd ignore the pricing on this page, as I'm sure they can be found for far less $$ than what's listed here) on larger spiritual/ethical issues, as well as one or two more theological books on animals, please see page 1-5 of this list: animal advocacy catalogue of resources.

--------------------
"I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you."

[center]~Anonymous~

<div align="center">"Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart - but in it"[/center]

~Fleur Conkling Heylinger~

>^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^<

"For one species to mourn the death of another is a noble thing"

~Aldo Leopold~

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage. ~Sri Aurobindo

Spay now or pay later, the interest is killing us.

</span></div>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
goliath
post Dec 21 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,239

QUOTE (Furkidlets' Mom @ Dec 21 2008, 11:21 AM) *
I haven't read any of these myself, so can't comment on how good they may be, but one I'm in the midst of reading now which I'm finding to be (so far) one of the best I've ever read, is Saying Goodbye to Your Angel Animals. Included are lovely exercises and meditations to help one deal with the loss.

Hi Furkidlet's Mom,

I've read Saying Goodbye to your Angel Animals and hope you will find it as inspiring as I did when I finished it. Allen & Linda Anderson are my favorite authors on pet loss. They write from their hearts as they inspire others to find peace and hope in theirs. The first book I read of Allen & Linda Anderson's was given to me by ForDuffy. It is called Angel Dogs:Divine Messengers of Love. The wonderful messages in the book inspired me to continue reading other books they have written. There is also a book of theirs called Angel Cats:Divine Messengers of Comfort, that is beautifully written. I think my favorite was Angel Animals:Exploring our Spiritual Connection with Animals. Though Allen & Linda are Christians, they write from more of a spiritual perspective as opposed to a religious one.

Thank you for bringing this posting to the forefront. This time of the year is so hard on many people here, especially for those who are facing their first Holidays without their special furry kid. I hope that many read your post and make it a point to give themselves a special gift in purchasing one of these wonderful books for themselves. For me, reading these kinds of books help keep my heart at peace in remembering just how blessed I was to have Goliath in my life. wub.gif

Holiday hugs,
Beth

--------------------
Topics that include Goliath are:
Death of my Furry Baby Boy Chihuahua
Heartfelt Letter to my Goliath
Goliath and Gidget Pics
Happy Birthday Goliath
Goliath's Blessings
Bouncing Baby Browser (Goliath & Gidget's New Baby Brother)
Browser Is Missing!
Goliath Aloysius 1/25/1997 til 11/6/2007
My Gidgie Girl

+Quote Post
Furkidlets' Mom
post Dec 21 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 961

Hi Beth,

I'm sure I will find it just as inspiring as you did! I find their style of writing, ways of presenting and viewpoints to be of a higher quality among the many authors of pet loss/grieving, where too many still consider animals somehow 'beneath' humans, even in their compassion for people's losses. The Andersons put animals on at least an equal footing....hmmm......but perhaps having 4 feets IS what makes for 'better than' 2 feets!! happy.gif Yes, I'll have to get their "Spiritual Connection" book, too, now that I know that I can really trust the Andersons with my heart's largest hurts. So thanks so much for recommending these others! (I'd love their entire line of books, but not sure if I have enough room left here!....think I need a proper library!)

Yes, the missing of my kids is what's making me do all these searches just before Christmas. Though it's my 3rd already w/o my girl, it feels like only my 2nd, which I attribute to the numbness of my whole first year. That first Christmas w/o my darling Nis' was just horrid, with withdrawals of support from too many friends and family nearly killing me and adding to my sense of loss tremendously. We were absolutely forgotten by some (who later shared their personal tales of merriment with us in the face of our despair unsure.gif ), misunderstood and uncared about by most others, and now I carry those memories with me each holiday season, as well as missing my gal and guy. There is still nothing/no one much better to replace these memories, either, so it's a very hard struggle for me yet. And this season has seen someone I considered a good friend suddenly drop me like a hot potato, too, right before the holidays, adding to my sadness and losses.

Therefore, since those within my own, little circle have for the most part (or even totally) rejected my heart & soul in these ways, I intend to spend much of the holidays this year reading books like theirs, meditating and allowing my continuing sorrow to just BE however it will be. And should any joy overtake me at any moment, I'll allow that in as well. Hopefully, there will be some.

I also just took a one-night teleclass on spiritual connections with our furbabies (mainly departed ones), complete with a "personal communication" segment which I found very lovely, as both Nissa & Sabin came to me and joined their 'light beams of love' right within my heart, so palpably that I felt each of their unique energies inside me, just as I'd always experienced them when they were physically here.....so I hope to help create even more of these continuing connections over the holidays, to tide me through.

Yes, we were all SO blessed, and obviously still are, if we can just find ways to nurture these continuing connections. It's just harder when you can't express your love physically and get an immediate and equally-loving physical response back anymore. I'll have to work on that and see just how far it can really go...

Wishing you peace for the season and year-round hugs back, smile.gif
Nissa & Sabin's Mom

--------------------
"I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you."

[center]~Anonymous~

<div align="center">"Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart - but in it"[/center]

~Fleur Conkling Heylinger~

>^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^<

"For one species to mourn the death of another is a noble thing"

~Aldo Leopold~

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage. ~Sri Aurobindo

Spay now or pay later, the interest is killing us.

</span></div>

+Quote Post
goliath
post Dec 21 2008, 02:54 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,239

QUOTE (Furkidlets' Mom @ Dec 21 2008, 01:29 PM) *
Yes, the missing of my kids is what's making me do all these searches just before Christmas. Though it's my 3rd already w/o my girl, it feels like only my 2nd, which I attribute to the numbness of my whole first year.

I can relate so well with the numbness you describe of that "first" Christmas without the one you love. Last year I felt the same way. Quite honestly, I really don't remember much about last Christmas at all. Goliath passed away in November. The numbness stayed with me for a very long time, so we didn't bring out the Holiday decorations at all.........not even the Christmas tree.

This Christmas we did bring out all the decorations and I found myself spilling tears as I unpacked them. I'm not numb now because I allowed myself to feel Goliath's beautiful memories as I touched, held, and placed each ornament on the pups special Christmas tree. In some ways, this second Christmas is more difficult than the first. I found myself singing "All I Want For Christmas Is You" as I hung each ornament with tender love and care.

I'm sorry to hear your friend dropped you. Not too long ago, someone I thought to be a very good friend of mine turned on me too. It hurts when someone you think you know and trust turns out to be somebody they are not. Nevertheless, it hurts no matter what reasons they may have. I've stopped trying to make sense out of some people and their actions.......finding myself far less disappointed in others as a result.

I had to laugh at the description of your library. LOL....I have one of those going to and will soon have to start stacking books. The postive energy and uplifting messages Allen & Linda bring fill my heart with so many warm and fuzzy feelings. They have helped me so much in finding my way through this long journey of healing.......picking up the pieces of my broken heart along the way.

This Christmas is also very special because it will be Browser's "first." So, his picture will join Goliath's & Gidget's on their own special Christmas tree along with the special ornaments that were chosen just for them over the years.

Here's wishing you a bright and blessed Christmas. May Nissa and Sabin's divine and everlasting presence be with you now and forever.

Peace and year-round hugs right back atcha!
Beth

--------------------
Topics that include Goliath are:
Death of my Furry Baby Boy Chihuahua
Heartfelt Letter to my Goliath
Goliath and Gidget Pics
Happy Birthday Goliath
Goliath's Blessings
Bouncing Baby Browser (Goliath & Gidget's New Baby Brother)
Browser Is Missing!
Goliath Aloysius 1/25/1997 til 11/6/2007
My Gidgie Girl

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:07 PM