358 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome Tang, New Beginnings
Tom's Dad
post May 21 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,946

I brought Tang home fom the vet today as a "trial" - I'm still confident it will work out. The nurse showed me how to clean his ears and gave me special q-tips and the solution at no charge. The plan is that being this works out, I will take him back next weekend to get him on a plan like Theresa and a comprehensive exam. So far it's been not too bad. He took to exploring and Theresa followed at a safe distance. He's proving to be an even better hider than Theresa. I lost track of him for a while only to discover he'd wriggled his way into the AC/furnace closet. I pulled him out and better secured the door. Theresa hissed at him once when he approached while on her side, tummy exposed. Not surprising I guess. What was surprising, is that this supposedly timid boy is losing that timidity. He did actually hiss at her as she tried following him into the bathroom. It's starting to look like neither will have clear dominace but competition for my attention seems in the offing. More from him that her oddly enough; he's been following me around everywhere. Now suddenly I'M the alpha cat? Huh? How did that happen? Oh, well, I imagine Tom is looking down and having a good laugh. I forgot what a wry sense of humor that boy had. But, aside from the stray hisses when one gets too much into the others' space, there haven't been any overtly agressive incidents. I'm hoping this will start to gel and all will be OK in our little home.

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peggy's Human
post May 21 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,037

Hi Tom's Dad and Welcome Home Tang!

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Since they haven't squared off with each other, chances are pretty high they'll accept each other. It's probably good that Tang hisses when Miss Theresa gets too close, he's showing her he's not a push over and she'll have to accept him as an equal. Congrats on your promotion to Alpha Cat of the household, sounds like they had a secret ballot and you won! smile.gif

Keeping my fingers crossed that the weekend goes smoothly for all of you!

Peggy

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 21 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #3

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Tom, thank you so o o much for sharing with us that little Tang is home with you and your precious Theresa. From what you describe all sounds very normal. And yes, YOU, Tom, ARE the Alpha Cat. Each "pride" - - as cat families in the wild are called - - ALWAYS have an Alpha male - - a "pride leader" - - and so, Tom, you are the "pride leader" in your household. When Theresa shows her tummy it's a sign of confidence and security - - to YOU. She will be more cautious of Tang approaching her in this vulnerable position until she comes to trust him, feel comfortable with him. So, her "hisses" are her way of saying "back off, I don't trust you". And how precious that Tang is already feeling confident in his new home. Tom, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Tang is a permanent member of your household. Theresa needn't worry - - she will ALWAYS BE daddy's little girl. And I know you are reassuring her letting her know that.

Tom, this is wonderful news, and I thank you so much for letting us know how things are going. I look forward to sharing your "progress reports". Please know you, your precious Theresa, and your little Tang are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 21 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #4

Thanks Peggy, moon_beam. As I write this they are each napping in there own "spaces" Theresa curled up against the vacuum in the spare bedroom (one her favorites, ironically, since she afraid of the vacuume) And Tang? Well he's experimented with a few spots and picked under the extra dining chair I don't use up against the wall in the dining area. I mention this because that was Tom's favorite hiding spot when he first came to be with me before he felt comfortable enough to roam freely. Earlier another "Tom channeling" moment came when he hopped on the back of the couch I was lying on and preceeded to lie down in a very Tom like fashion including the way he crossed his front paws. I'm not the sort of person who tries to imbue traits of a lost fur child into another, but rather take it as a sign from Tom that things will work out for all 3 of us; that he approves I think.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LoveMyMickey
post May 21 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,071

Hi Tom's Dad,

Congrats on the new addition to your furfamily. I hope it works out well for you all. I like the sound of "Tang and Theresa".

I also believe Tom is telling you he approves of Tang and he is happy to see you smile again. Now you will have two furbabies to "chill out" with on the balcony this Memorial Day weekend, weather permitting.

Keep us updated and again I hope it works out well for you, Theresa, and Tang.

LoveMyMickey

--------------------
"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 21 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #6

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tom, oh h h I can say definitely it sounds like your precious Sir Thomas has orchestrated this union. And it's not uncommon for a new little furbaby to "assume" some of the traits of their angel sibling. Your precious Sir Thomas is "coaching" your little man Tang to let you know that he so o o approves of this new life coming into your heart and home. Let your heart be at peace that your precious Sir Thomas has a big broad smile on his face, saying "Yes, dad, it's okay, and I'll always be near you, too - - always."

I hope you, your precious Miss Theresa, and your little man Tang will have a peaceful and blissful evening, Tom, and will look forward to sharing your progress reports.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 21 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #7

LovesMyMickey - moon_beam Thanks for the words of encouragement. It would seem Tang has a penchant to be a lap cat of sorts which did not go so very well with Theresa - but she looked more hurt than miffed. But I cleverly picked that moment to open the sliding doors after the rain stopped. About the rain (thunderstorm really) Tang was terrified about that. Not surprising considering he was left out in the rain by his so called family. But as I write this, he is taking his first baby steps out onto the balcony where Theresa already is. I told him that the rain can't hurt him anymore and that he has a place now to come in from out of it. Now he has stepped out completely onto the balcony! smile.gif I think he is seeing that outside in and of itself is not bad now that he has a "safe place" I'll keep you posted smile.gif

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 22 2011, 03:46 AM
Post #8

Well, I had to break up what might have turned into a fight last night sad.gif Tang hopped up onto the pillow next to my head on the bed. (another Tom thing) Theresa was on the floor and he jumped down there to start something - This distressed me and I admonished him for it. He went off to hide. I swear that cat is double jointed. I saw him emerging this morning out from under the easy chair that is NOT designed for that sort of thing. I thought he might have hurt his eye as it was red/watering and was fussing at it - but it seems better now. Dust from under the chair I guess. Since the rain cooled things down last night I opened the doors to balcony and they are both out there now and seem to be behaving themselves. I'll keep you all posted.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 22 2011, 10:11 AM
Post #9

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tom, thank you for the updates on your precious Theresa and little man Tang. The spits and spats - - normal. There will be those from time to time. Even though Noah and Abbygayle were totally devoted to one another, Noah would "press his luck" from time to time, and Abbygayle was not about to take anything off her brother. Hence, Noah's nose usually got the brunt end of Abbygayle's rebuke - - but as you are seeing your precious girl and baby boy out on the deck in mutual peace, so it was with my Noah and Abbygayle. Neither one of them could stay fussed at each other for very long - - the next time I looked at them they were curled around one another reassuring each other that "love is eternal."

I am so o o glad that little Tang has you for his dad, and precious Theresa for his sister. Between the two you he will know love and safety and family. He's already learning about receiving unconditional love as well as giving it. As for the issue of "lap" - - your precious Theresa will come to learn that she will always be your little girl - - that Tang is not going to "compete" for your love. And you are doing a great job, Tom, in helping both your precious little girl and your little man know they are special to you in their own sweet ways.

Tom, I hope today will be a good day for you and your precious fur family. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and will look forward to knowing how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 22 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #10

I hope you're right moon_beam - because he's taken to getting under that chair alot. I though pushing the foot rest part all the way in would keep him out. But he must be getting in from behind and I can't block that. I'm going to pull it out and vacuume under so it's not so dusy, but I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself in the bars under there getting out from what I've seen when he does......

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 22 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #11

Well, I pulled out that chair and vacuumed under it. Boy, was it dirty! I don't think I've moved that chair in the 6 years it's been there. But I got a closer look at it and figured he must be getting in from the back where the fabric expands with chair when it reclines like a sort of flap. So, when I pushed it up completely against the wall, it does not look like even he will be able to squeeze in there. Just have to remember to to do that before bed and going to work.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 22 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #12

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tom, sounds like you're trying to take normal precautions. I know your concern, and know you will do everything in your power to protect your little boy from hazards. Isn't it amazing how our furkids can stretch, fold, manipulate their bodies into the strangest positions and places? Tom, I hope you, your precious Theresa, and your little Tang will have a very peaceful evening, and I'll look forward to knowing how things go for you and your furkids.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 22 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #13

Doing my best moon_beam. I'm a little wary about going off and leaving them (and him) for the first time to go off to work tomorrow being gone my usual 12-13 hours. I hope it works out. But I have a feeling Tom is looking over both of them and know just what you mean by his "coaching" Tang. Tonight he did 2 more things I'd only ever seen Tom do in all the years of having and being around cats. First he was rolling around on the floor, but not like Theresa does back and forth fron paws curled to her chest. This was more a serpentine pattern with outstretcheched left and right front paws alternating. Like Superman flying barrel rolls. And just a little while ago he got up not on my lap but onto the back of the chair. Yes, Theresa has done this some but not for a long time. Here's the kicker: he started petting my head with his tail. Tom is the only cat ever that has done that. It's kind of eerie.......

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LoveMyMickey
post May 23 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #14

Hi Tom's Dad.....That gave me goosebumps. Sounds like you have a little bit of Tom in Tang, or maybe Tom is telling him what to do so you will like him. lol...About the chair, if your plan doesn't work, maybe you could stuff something under it.

Have a good day, hopefully with no storms.

LoveMyMickey

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 23 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #15

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tom, thank you for letting us know how things are going for you and your fur tribe. LoveMyMickey has made an excellent suggestion about the chair situation: ". . ., if your plan doesn't work, maybe you could stuff something under it." It can be a bit disconcerting when you go to sit in a recliner or rocking chair unaware that there is / might be a little furchild under it - - hiding - - blending in with the underneath of the chair and the floor / carpeting - -. I used to put my tiny little ones on a long tether so that I could keep watch of where they were, and which also enabled me to see where the tether led when they were out of sight so that I could trace it to the body it belonged to. When I shared this with some folks I got a lot of weird looks and "stern words" - - but it worked for me until my little tykes grew so that they couldn't fit so nicely "under" places where I couldn't see them. So, this is another suggestion -- it worked for me and my little tykes - - for whatever it may be worth to you.

I hope your day at work has been kind to you, Tom. I know you are looking forward to getting home to your precious Theresa and little Tang. Please know you and your precious fur tribe are in my thoughts and prayers, Tom, and look forward to knowing how each of you are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 23 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #16

Well, I failed to Tang proof the chair. I got home tonight and he was under it again. I was paniced at first thinking the maint. man coming to check the AC may have let him out. But, no. He could not have gotten in through the sides as it was right up against the wall. But upon closer inspection I saw that it's possible for him to have gotten if the bottom/back - he must have tried his darnedest to get under there too either when the man came to check the AC, or more likely the thunderstorms. He's really scared of those I guess since that's what he was abondoned in. Since it was up against the wall, I imagine he was in there for who know how long as the front was down tight sad.gif

I don't think I can get a pillow under there w/o tearing it up BUT it did give me an idea. I took one of my old cushions from a couch I no longer have and wedged it behind the chair and pushed the chair up against it and the wall as far as it would go. Gave it a good tug to make sure it won't come loose. So, unless he's stronger than me, I HOPE there's no way he can get under there again. I'll keep you all posted on the new adventures of Theresa and Tang.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LoveMyMickey
post May 24 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #17

Hi Tom's Dad....I'm sorry Tang is so scared of the thunderstorms. Looks like he will be scared the rest of the week.....I hope the chair problem works out okay.....I bet Tom is looking down on you all and having a good laugh.

Keep us updated. I looked forward to the adventures of Theresa and Tang. smile.gif

LoveMyMickey

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 24 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #18

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tom, thank you so much for sharing with us "the new adventures of Theresa and Tang." That is so o o special. There should be a TV series made just for you and your fur tribe. Poor little fella - - Noah sure does know how he feels. Noah does not like any "intruders" in his domain. He runs under whatever is closest if he hears the doorbell ring, if I need someone to come to do major house repairs, visitors - - he hides from anyone other than me. It's important though that the places your little Tang chooses to "hide" are safe, and I'm hoping that your efforts to "de-Tang" the recliner work. The best place to run and hide in is daddy's arms, but when that's not possible, a "daddy approved Plan B" is the next best thing. I'll be very interested in sharing your news.

Tom, I hope today is being kind to you and your precious furkids. Please know each of you are close in my thoughts and prayers, and look forward to knowing how each of you are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 24 2011, 07:56 PM
Post #19

Well, I think it worked. In addition to the cushion in the back, I wedged a hard platic cooler on the right side next to it that I suspect he was getting in from. Tonight I got home to both my lovely white AND orange faces to greet me smile.gif

I've been experimenting with "communal" nuzzles where I put one hand down and they both nuzzle from different sides. Meanwhile, the balcony seems to be a neutral zone for nada hostilities - I've even seen them literally side by side watching what ever it is that they see. Gotta watch Tang though. He gets right on the edge under the railing, and unlike Theresa he's thin enough to fall through it if he forgets himself. I think he'll be OK, but worried daddy still keeps his eye out on both while out there. I think he might have been abused where ever it is that he came from because he'll be laying relaxed as you please on the floor, but if I start walking near him he looks scared and bolts like the thinks he's done something wrong. But he'll come right back if I call. Of course it could just be kitty ADD wink.gif

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LoveMyMickey
post May 25 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #20

Hi Tom's Dad....Awwwww...that sounds so cute, Theresa and Tang there to greet you. That sounds like a good idea about the communal nuzzles and it sounds like they are getting along well together....Oh yes, keep a close eye on Tang and the balcony, as you know cats can squeeze into the skinnest places.

Sounds like everything will work out well for you and your furkids. I'm happy for you.

LoveMyMickey

--------------------

+Quote Post

358 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:31 AM