4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Miss Mindy Is Sick
DannysMom
post Aug 12 2013, 06:10 PM
Post #41

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,464

Hello moon_beam, I am so chuckling about your comments! laugh.gif Yes, the Weruva was indeed "Paw Lickin" good, at least according to Miss Mindy. She ate pretty much all of it and I just had to throw out the last few bites as they had been sitting out too long. She ate some and came back for seconds. In the reviews I've read of this food one lady said that her cat lost its big girth, so I'm hoping the food will do the same for Mindy. Since she likes it I've ordered a case for her. I may just feed the C&P to only Shelley as she seems to like it and doesn't get the twitching from it.

Today I tried the Merrick "Grammie's Pot Pie" and when I opened it the food looked so delicious that I almost wanted to eat it! But...it received two paws down from both Mindy and Shelley. They both ate a little bit, but weren't interested after that. Thankfully I will get the "Paw Lickin Chicken" tomorrow afternoon. Now it's down to the Merrick's "Cowboy cookout" and the EVO "Turkey and Chicken". The good thing about the "Paw Lickin Chicken" is that it doesn't have carrageenan which is a carcinogen and can cause stomach upset. Their cans are also BPA free.

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 14 2013, 06:20 PM
Post #42

Miss Mindy is still doing well. I tried a little experiment yesterday and gave my girls just a bit of the Ultramix canned food (the one that I thought was causing her problems), but this one from the new case that I had bought before all this happened. Mindy ate some and seemed more energetic and playful after having eaten the food with the L-carnitine, but she didn't attack her tail or go into hiding. I gave the girls the rest of the Ultramix can this morning and Mindy seemed fine. I think I will use the rest of the cans, but mix it with the "Paw Licking Chicken" that I got in today. Shelley really likes the Ultramix food and gives two paws down to all the other canned food I've tried. She is a very finicky eater!

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 15 2013, 08:33 AM
Post #43

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Mindy, you, and your precious Shelley are doing. I am so smiling at your precious girls' "reviews" of the food you have been trying with them "two paws down" for the "bad" food. It sounds like you are on the right track with their food. Companies have a tendency to change their products all in the name of "new and improved" marketing - - while the changes cause upsets with our precious companion(s) digestive tracts - - and we are left wondering "what in the world is happening" with them when they become sick for no "apparent reason." Your astuteness and determination to provide the best quality food possible for your precious girls is a credit to your loving care for them, and I know they deeply and sincerely appreciate you being their Forever Mom.

I hope today is treating your precious Mindy and Shelley and you kindly, my friend, and that you and your precious girls will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening blessed with your beloved Danny's and Tina's sweet Living Spirits to comfort you. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, DannysMom, and of your precious Mindy and Shelley. Please know you and your precious girls are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I look forward to knowing how each of you are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 15 2013, 06:41 PM
Post #44

Moon_beam, thanks for caring about my sweet Mindy. Yes, pet food companies do change their ingredients and most of the time it's because they'll use some cheaper stuff. I found out to my dismay that Orijen has changed their formula somewhat, but their food is still very good and high in protein.

This morning I mixed the "Paw Lickin Chicken" with some of the Ultramix canned food. Mindy happily ate some while Shelley just nibbled a bit at the Ultramix. When I came home tonight there were just a few scraps of food left which Mindy quickly ate, leaving only little bits of the "Paw Lickin Chicken" in the bowl. To my surprise Shelley came and ate it. I guess she is warming up to the new food after all. Maybe she figures that if Mindy likes it then it has to be good! laugh.gif

I really hope that Mindy can lose her extra weight safely. I may still decide in the future to feed them some homemade food, like boiled chicken with a few veggies and a vitamin supplement mixed in. Even if I get the organic chicken it should still be pretty inexpensive. After all my girls are just small cats and don't need all that much. My mom used to feed all of our dogs fresh meat from the butcher and they all lived long healthy lives. I think the less processed the food the better it is for our fur kids. There are some nice and easy recipes for homemade cat food and treats that I've found.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 16 2013, 06:22 AM
Post #45

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Mindy, you, and your precious Shelley are doing. Sounds like your precious girls are becoming accustomed to the new food. I am so glad to share your news that your precious Mindy is continuing to be her normal self again. I admire you for considering - - and attempting - - to fix your precious girls homemade food. You are right about the difference between fresh food and processed food. I wish you the best in your endeavors to give your culinary abilities a try on behalf of your precious Mindy and Shelley. Please let us know how it goes.

I hope today is treating your precious Mindy and Shelley and you kindly, my friend, and that you and your precious girls will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening blessed with your beloved Danny's and Tina's sweet Living Spirits to comfort you. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, DannysMom, and of your precious Mindy and Shelley. Please know you and your precious girls are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I look forward to knowing how each of you are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Sep 23 2013, 05:56 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 7,430

DannysMom

I feel awful I have missed all this and not been there for you. How is your Mindy doing? How awful that she has been in pain and whats worse is not knowing what it is as everything came back normal. She is in the best hands with you and I am glad to that the ER vet was extremely good.

How is Shelley coping with Mindys ups and downs. I am sure she is coping quite well as she is an amazing cat.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Nov 27 2013, 08:09 PM
Post #47

My poor Mindy is sick again. Sigh! When I came home this afternoon and petted her I noticed a big, red rash above her right eye. I called the vet and fortunately they were able to take us at such short notice. I mentioned to the vet that Mindy has been very restless lately, that she get a "twitchy" tail and back and that she attacks her tail sometimes. The vet said it looks like atopic dermatitis and they gave her a shot of depo-medrol to calm down the inflammation. He thought it could be caused by a food allergy, but he doesn't want me to change her food just yet. I've been reading up a bit on this and it looks like it could be caused by allergens in the air such as dust mites, or it could also be a flea allergy masked as atopic dermatitis. I remember that earlier in the summer I had given her a treatment of Revolution when she was so restless and had the twitchy tail, and after that she seemed more calm. I feel so bad that I didn't address this sooner. I hope it doesn't get worse as I don't want her on heavy duty drugs that suppress the immune system. I will probably get her some Omega 3 supplements as that is supposed to help. Poor Miss Mindy! I really feel bad about this. She has been so patient in dealing with it, and after we came home tonight she seemed much more calm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Nov 28 2013, 07:04 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 6,946

DannyMom

I'm so sorry to hear Miss Mindy is not feeling well. But you are doing everything you can to make her comfortable and help her get better. Don't beat yourself up, she knows how much you love her. I hope she feels better soon.

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Dec 5 2013, 03:23 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 7,510

QUOTE (DannysMom @ Nov 27 2013, 08:09 PM) *
My poor Mindy is sick again. Sigh! When I came home this afternoon and petted her I noticed a big, red rash above her right eye. I called the vet and fortunately they were able to take us at such short notice. I mentioned to the vet that Mindy has been very restless lately, that she get a "twitchy" tail and back and that she attacks her tail sometimes. The vet said it looks like atopic dermatitis and they gave her a shot of depo-medrol to calm down the inflammation. He thought it could be caused by a food allergy, but he doesn't want me to change her food just yet. I've been reading up a bit on this and it looks like it could be caused by allergens in the air such as dust mites, or it could also be a flea allergy masked as atopic dermatitis. I remember that earlier in the summer I had given her a treatment of Revolution when she was so restless and had the twitchy tail, and after that she seemed more calm. I feel so bad that I didn't address this sooner. I hope it doesn't get worse as I don't want her on heavy duty drugs that suppress the immune system. I will probably get her some Omega 3 supplements as that is supposed to help. Poor Miss Mindy! I really feel bad about this. She has been so patient in dealing with it, and after we came home tonight she seemed much more calm.

Danny's Mom, this must be so stressful for you! Know that dermatitis and other skin problems can be treated successfully in cats, though! My Strider has allergies - it's taken prednisolone every 3 days & allergy shots, but he's doing much better.

Kel

--------------------

When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that, in truth, you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 7 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #50

Kel, thanks for your post. Mindy is doing a bit better. She doesn't like it when I put the ointment on her, but it surely does help. I have ordered some Omega-3 supplements for her and will try those first before I go the pharma route. I've also ordered Nupro nuggets for cat, but Mindy doesn't like those, however Shelley like them! Go figure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Dec 21 2013, 01:27 PM
Post #51

I am so sorry to hear about poor Mindy again.

She definitley is in the best hands with you. I hope she feels a little better for Christmas. It cant be nice dermatitis. I suffer from eczema on my hands and I moan about it all the time I hate it so I feel even more sorry for your little Mindy who cannot even tell you exactly how she is feeling.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 26 2013, 12:14 PM
Post #52

xxForeverxx, thank you for visiting. Mindy is doing better. Those two red bumps on her head have almost healed up. I am thinking that maybe it is a seasonal allergy, but she didn't have it last year at this time. I just don't know. Oh I feel for you about the eczema on your hands. That has got to be painful too, especially with washing your hands all day long. Have a look at this site and see if maybe some of these things will help you: http://www.eczema.net/best-eczema-treatments/

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Jan 27 2014, 05:40 AM
Post #53

Thanks DannysMom

I am going to check that out! Pixie has come up with scabs on her back again for the third time. I think hers might be a seasonal allergy too although she got her last ones only 6 months ago!

Glad to hear Mindy is doing better.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jan 29 2014, 07:30 PM
Post #54

xxForeverxx, yes Mindy is definitely better. I need to perhaps keep giving her those Nupro nuggets that are supposed to help with itchy skin and swab her chin with witch hazel once a week. That is safe to use on cats. So sorry to hear that Pixie has scabs again. That sounds painful! Our poor little tuxie girls! Maybe it could be from the dry indoor air as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Feb 22 2014, 02:22 PM
Post #55

Poor Miss Mindy has taken a turn for the worse. She developed a rash on her tummy and had pulled out her fur there, plus the pustule is still on her ear. Took her to the vet yesterday and they gave her a shot of antibiotics for the rash and a steroid for the skin allergies. Could be environmental or food, they just don't know. Vet suggested feeding her a hypoallergenic food to find out if it's food allergies. Sounded good as I was not prepared to put her through a bunch of tests and all that.

Looked up the food this morning and to my dismay I discovered the hydrolized protein in it is from soy...yup, no meat, soy. I mean, I don't even eat soy, why would I give that to my cat? They surely don't eat soy in the wild. Read some reviews and one lady said her cat got so sick on this food and died from kidney failure. Yikes!!!! I was hopping mad. Went back to the vet today and returned the food. Hadn't opened it yet. Considering raw food or cooking my own pet food as my girls have gotten so chubby on the dry food. I feed them LESS than the recommended guidelines and they are still getting fat. Mindy is up to 13.01 now. Can't have that. Fed up with all this junky pet food. There has to be something better out there that won't make my girls fat and that's good for them. Soy! Pah! The worst thing is that Royal Canin wants 50 bucks for a 7 pound bag of that junk!!! Yeah, that's right....50 dollars! And it doesn't even have one tiny bit of real meat in it! I'm really upset.

Gave Mindy some Nupro Nuggets last night. She seems to be better today, not restless or itchy. But I don't want to have her on steroids all the time either. I really believe the best solution is proper nutrition. I'm against all this pharma stuff....rather have something natural and holistic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Feb 22 2014, 05:27 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 6,946

Hi DannysMom.

I'm so sorry to hear that Miss Mindy has taken such a bad turn. I hope the medicine helps and that you can settle on a food that will work with her and Shelley. I feel you on the costs. The RX food for Diabetes is up to close to 30.00 for a 3.5 LB bag ohmy.gif So per Dr. Mills advice I had to settle for a premium brand senior formula as the "next best" thing.

We are sending our positive thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery for Miss Mindy. Hoping you all are otherwise doing well. TTFN

TTT

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Mar 15 2014, 12:05 PM
Post #57

Tom's Dad, thanks for caring about Mindy's condition. I do not like the Science Diet food, period. It's just not good food. You are much better off with the Iam's.
Since Mindy had that shot of antibiotics and the steroid shot there hasn't been a red bump on her face or even acne on her chin. The fur on her tummy has started to grow back. Someone told me that cats can get staph infections very easily. I switched out her dry food to "Life's Abundance". Both Shelley and Mindy like it, but Mindy did not want the canned food from that brand even though it's got good ingredients in it. I may try to get some canned food from DrsFosterandSmith and mix that with the "Life's abundance" canned food. Sigh! She is real finicky about canned food, even snubbing the "Paw Lickin' Chicken" a lot of times. But it's so much better for her as it helps her lose weight. At the last vet visit she was up to 13.1 which means she gained a few ounces. I sure wish these pet food companies would make better food that doesn't make our fur kids so fat! I think eventually I really need to cook my own cat food, even if it's just boiling some organic chicken or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Mar 25 2014, 07:15 AM
Post #58

Hi DannysMom

Poor Mindy really isnt have much luck with al theses rashes etc. I can understand your frustration in not knowing what keeps causing it. Have you started her on this hyperallergic food yet? How is she? I hope the rash has not come back again as I see you have said it has gone down.

I bet Shelley is helping look after Mindy although I can imagine Mindy being quite independant and not making a fuss.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Mar 26 2014, 07:43 PM
Post #59

xxForeverxx, thank you for stopping by. Mindy's rash has not come back. I took the hypoallergenic food back to the vet. It was too expensive and not only that, but it is made entirely of soy and I would not feed that to my cats as it is not good for them. I switched out her dry food to a new brand and she seems to do well on that. I am also trying out some new canned food as she seems to be tired of the "Paw Lickin' Chicken". The fur on her tummy is slowly growing back. She had some episodes with itching, but so far no rashes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post May 21 2014, 06:28 PM
Post #60

My poor Miss Mindy is VERY itchy again! I discovered a rash on one of her front legs this morning, high up on the inside of the leg so it's hard to spot. Took her to the vet this evening. They suggested hypoallergenic food again. Why do they think it's the food? It could be an allergy to fleas. Some cats are highly allergic to fleas. I remember Mindy had some relief when I gave her Revolution one time last summer. I shy away from these topical flea remedies as they are not really good for cats (questionable ingredients). The vet gave her a steroid shot again, depo-medrol. She cautioned that doing steroid shots on a regular basis may give her diabetes. Great! sad.gif

I tried fish oil capsules, but Mindy doesn't like the smell of fish. The vet suggested some hypoallergenic canned food with limited ingredients, such as rabbit from Royal Canin. Not crazy at all about Royal Canin as I don't like their food. I may just take her to an allergy specialist to do some skin scrapings or something to find out what she is allergic to. I just don't buy the food allergy thing. They're just guessing anyway. She had been fine thus far, but noticed she got itchy again in the past couple weeks. And it got worse over the past few days. I haven't changed her food since. I'm just not convinced it's the food, but I sure wish I knew what it was that is causing her rashes and intense itchyness.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:28 PM