Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Walking Gently Through The Transition, an article by Lynn McKenzie
Furkidlets' Mom
post Oct 4 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 961

I just received the sad news that Lynn McKenzie's treasured canine companion, Jiggs, has recently transitioned, as of Sept.10/07. As Lynn put it herself, "He was a huge presence in my life for 14 ½ years and an incredible teacher and guide."

I know Jiggs' spiritual presence was felt by some of us who took classes through Lynn, though he was still alive then. He was one of the guides (along with her Ascended Equine Master guide, Lucero) who aided her students so willingly and powerfully during our Animal Communication practices, and I'm sure he will continue to do so from the Spirit Kingdom. In honour of the wonderful being who is Jiggs, I'd like to share Lynn's most recent newsletter article with you all. May Jiggs' spirit keep shining brightly as a powerful example of the wonder and beauty of the connectedness we have with every fellow species on earth. Bless you, and thank you, Jiggs, for everything you've taught us. It was an honour. Be well, dear boy.wub.gif

Walking Gently Through the Transition of our Animal Companions

Facing the transition of one we love, whether human or animal, is not something we like to think about, but the reality and inevitability of it makes it something we must do, often many times, when we choose to share our lives with animal companions. I thought I’d share a few tips that I found helpful, to help you consciously negotiate the process whenever this time comes for you.

Be present – do your very best to stay in the present moment with your animal companion throughout the entire process. This way you can be fully there for both them and yourself.

Breathe – be sure to breathe deeply throughout all of the trials and tribulations of the process including that actual moment when the soul leaves the body, if you are there. When stressed we often forget to breathe deeply and receive the healing benefits associated with it.

Be grounded – maintain your connection to Mother Earth. Feel your feet on the floor and your energy field firmly around you. If you are having problems grounding, either lie down on the ground, or hug a tree, you will be amazed at the shift you will experience.

Keep your Animal Companion Comfortable – at the end of the life of your animal companion, do you very best to keep them as comfortable as possible, always being conscious of what and how they’re feeling.

Gentle Support – use flower essences to support you and your animal companions through the process. I used my Easing Loss formula.

Honor their Process – honor the process they go through, it is not always as clear cut as we would like, and may take turns which can be hard on us, but by staying connected to and allowing them their process, we are offering a wonderful gift to them.

Allow them to go – let them know that it’s ok to go, and that you will be ok. Often they will hang on for us, and by letting them know that it’s ok for them to go, you help to free their soul.

Understand the naturalness of the process – the cycle of life, death and rebirth is all around us in nature. Each part of this cycle is as natural as another. Our animal companions celebrate death, and show me images of themselves as soaring like eagles after leaving their bodies. It is true joy for them.

Be Gentle with Yourself – allow yourself enough time to grieve, and process your emotions. Letting them out now, will be much healthier than pushing them down, as they have a tendency to fester when unexpressed. I used my flower essence Easing Loss and the homeopathic Ignatia and they were a godsend.

Practice Self Care – do nice things for yourself. Get a massage, go for a healing treatment, take baths, spend a weekend away or simply in nature. Whatever it is that will really make you feel cared for.

Stay connected to their Spirit – know that your animal companions will stay connected to you in spirit, and that the love that you shared doesn’t end with the ending of their physical body. Their spirits live on and they love to connect with you from the other side, either directly or though the help of an animal intuitive.

I hope you don’t need these tips soon, but you will have them when you do. I followed them during my time of loss, and they were very useful to me.

Intuitive Consultant & Life Coach helping Animals and their People, Lynn McKenzie is passionate about helping others attune and awaken to the teachings and wonder that all sentient beings wish to share. To learn more about her work and sign up for her FREE Making the Heart Connection mini course, please visit .Animal Energy

--------------------
"I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you."

[center]~Anonymous~

<div align="center">"Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart - but in it"[/center]

~Fleur Conkling Heylinger~

>^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^<

"For one species to mourn the death of another is a noble thing"

~Aldo Leopold~

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage. ~Sri Aurobindo

Spay now or pay later, the interest is killing us.

</span></div>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zookeeper
post Oct 5 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,116

Thank you so much for posting this. I think this is what I was looking for when I came here. Very wise.

No disrespect, it's almost a "helping your pet leave this planet for dummies". (I like straightforward how to's). Even the smartest among us still need to be reminded sometimes. I'm going to save it. It does all start with being there, doesn't it?

I'm watching my beloved friend of thirteen years (she's fifteen and some), begin the transition. This will help to remind me. It's so hard. She's lived such a long and lovely life. She's still okay but I see her slowing every day and just hope I am doing my part to see that she goes easy and well (and please, so loved).

What I read here tonight resonated and reminded me of the active part that I can play.

I've not always been the best about "being there"in the final moments. When my boy died last February, I was there when he "went to sleep" at home. I held him, sang to him but I let him go alone with his Dad for the real end. I have always known that it needs to be different with her. She needs me to be beside her, all the way. No two ways about it.

This will maybe help me stand with her, my best friend ,and do exactly what she would do for me.

Thanks Again and yes, the other article is perfect to quote to ignoramouses who ignore the bond between people and their animal friends.

biggrin.gif Sharon

+Quote Post
Furkidlets' Mom
post Oct 5 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Sharon,

I know it's so hard to watch them slowly decline.....although I still think it's 'better' than a more sudden parting, when you can't 'prepare' whatsoever. That said, it also leads to the tough road of anticipatory grief, which can begin from the moment you receive a diagnosis, depending on the disease or condition....and that can mean years of extra grieving beforehand. That can be terribly exhausting and debilitating, especially if you're the main caregiver. However, our babies are worth all of it and then some, and once they're gone, we'd gladly still be doing everything possible that we were doing, and even more if we think we'd missed something. This is the better way of practicing that old motto, "Be Prepared," because we can never be truly 'prepared' for their passing when it comes.

If your intentions are to love your baby, then that's what you'll do, don't worry. Trust in yourself to stay alert to that and you will. It does empower you and give you extra stamina for all those tasks when you make that commitment to their wellbeing.

The good thing about your knowing that this time has to be different, is that you've learned from what caused you anguish before, and that's what growth's about. Regarding this, you might also want to read both of the other articles I'd provided links to here.
They're both on the same webpage, so I didn't separate them. The first one is about starting a telepathic connection with your furbaby (which will keep you even more in tune with their needs and preferences overall), and the other one is about guilt, and what we can do about it. You're already on the right road, so you may find this encouraging and even more helpful if you know how to prepare in advance to avoid it. You might also want to check out the flower essences info I'd posted about, when the time draws nearer -here.

As for Lynn's article, even though I knew I'd done so much for my girl, I still found comfort over a year later, in what was listed, as the only thing I'd missed was grounding myself on her final 3 days. But I had done one of Lynn's grounding exercises for her in her last few months, which also helped ground me, so I'm very happy to say I didn't miss a thing, really. (and one NEVER ought to do grounding exercises for a loved one who's dieing, as that makes their leaving even harder for them, when you ought to be helping them to lift up to the Light!) I actually did even more than what's on this list, too....so at least I can rest easy knowing I covered every base I knew of at the time. Thank goodness, because we all know how those omissions so easily lead to the kind of guilt that's so hard to get rid of.

--------------------
"I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you."

[center]~Anonymous~

~Aldo Leopold~

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage. ~Sri Aurobindo

</span></div>

+Quote Post
zookeeper
post Oct 7 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #4

Yes, I absolutely agree with you that the preparation for a natural and unavoidable part of life is preferable to a swift and unexpected passing. Though I think, in the final moments, it kind of feels the same.

I've read through one of the other articles you provided and will take some time this week to look at more. Where does one get the flower essences you mention? A health food store? I've used lavender and volarian root in the past for stress but not much else.

Nori and I have ben together in our hearts for a very long time. My girl showed me how to establish the connection (that you spoke of) herself; we have enjoyed it all these years. I noticed within a day or two of her arrival that her breathing and facial expression changed when we were together. She stayed close. I never viewed it as a need, more as a preference.

When she came to me, she was to be a foster dog. To be loved and cherished and welcome to stay as long as she wanted or until the perfect home was evident. I knew from her reputation that she would probably have a rough go with another transition. So she stayed. The perfect home for her was evident all along.

I remember putting her on a blanket on my couch and bringing her food and water after she was fixed. After a day or two she rallied but I went down. I had an emergency surgery soon after and I know that this dog was trying to figure out how to do the same for me that I had done for her. She stayed by me - the lovliest of sentries until I regained my footing. She hasn't moved too far away since.

In the end, knowing that I will stand with her is easy. Although I adored my Milo, and we had been together forever too, he was, at his end - his Dad's boy, and I knew that to honor their special connection, it was important for them to have that moment. It wasn't necessarily altruistic, it just felt right, you know?

My friend Sarah and I will consult soon. She is my guru and helps me focus. It doesn't hurt that she adores Nori! Reiki had helped Nori through alot, particularly when we were dealing with other issues this summer. I guess I don't feel that I know enough yet to do it on my own.

Anyway, thank you for the kind words and the wonderful articles. I'll take my old girl for a nice walk on this beautiful morning now, and if I have to carry her home, I will. smile.gif
Sharon

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Oct 7 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #5

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 245

Hi Furkidlet's Mom:

Thank you very much for posting this. I've signed up to receive her newsletter.

Peace & Love to you and yours,

Denise

--------------------
Our Beloved Girl, Ernestine (AKA) "Ernie-Bird"
April, 1984 - February 7, 2004
***AFFA***
Forever, you will ALWAYS live on in our hearts!
DEPARTED FROM EARTH, NEVER FORGOTTEN.... Love, Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post
Furkidlets' Mom
post Oct 9 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #6

Sharon,

Yes, the final moments are can be just as horrible, no matter what the circu*mstances, because loss is loss, no matter which way you slice it. And very little prepares you for the amount of pain, even if you see it coming. But this kind of preparation, when you're actively doing your very best at the time, can help in resolving the common guilts we feel afterwards. I know I had a LOT less with Nissa's passing than I'd had with her brother's, and in large part because I had many years to 'prepare' for her passing as well as having so much time to correct the many mistakes I'd made with her brother. His passing taught me so much and thankfully, Nissa was the main beneficiary of that.

FEs can be had from many sources. If you have a health food store around (or where you got your herbs), some of them carry some lines, like Bach (one of the most prevalent lines). F.E.S. is another line which you can order online if need be and personally, I found it often works better than the Bach line. Teresa Wagner's website, Animals In Our Hearts, (she's another Animal Communicator) is a great resource as she lists many that she recommends (for animals) and I believe has links to where to purchase them from (many are from FES). Lynn McKenzie has her own line (I have a few of those, too), which can be bought thru her website. Sharon Callahan, one of the 'founders' of essences made just for animals, also sells hers online (Google her name and you'll find her site). Baileys is another older line. Perelandra is another well-respected line. There are also a myriad of smaller companies that have come up with ones that address different problems. Pretty much, just find out what's available locally and buy what isn't online. Plan ahead, as it can take up to about 3 wks. to receive certain lines, depending on where it's coming from. Here in Canada, it usually took me about 2 wks. to get most...the rest I bought locally. The harder part is sifting through the "repertories" to find the most suitable ones for different applications/problems.

Flower essences are more like homeopathics than like herbal tinctures. They are derived from plants (or minerals, with some lines) and like homeopathics, work on the energetic levels of problems, usually geared towards the emotional aspect, but some also work on the physical as well (like Perelandra).

You and Nori have obviously shared a very special and close bond smile.gif and I'm so happy you already know the connection of which Lynn, and I, too speak. The deeper dimensions that this adds to our relationships with our babies is undeniable, even though it makes it much harder for others to understand just how much more we've 'lost' when they're 'gone'. dry.gif

With Milo, I think leaving him and his daddy to their final moments with each other was an incredibly loving and unselfish thing you did, altruistic or not! (I'd say it was, though) In like fashion, my H knelt behind me when Nissa was being euthanised, as he knew that would be more 'proper and fitting'. So while he was there, close by, it was MY face that Nissa could see and MY hands that were touching her....as it should have been. With our boy, Sabin, I was the only one with him and even that seemed quite fitting.....although I'd hoped his sister, Nissa, would join us, but she didn't. My H was still rushing home when he crossed.

I'm also happy to hear Nori has received Reiki. Nissa did, too, for all of the 6.5 yrs. after her brother left. If you don't already know, Reiki (esp. distance Reiki ) is also of great benefit for animals WHILE they're crossing. It helps their journey from one realm to another be more peaceful and easier to navigate. If you already have been initiated into hands-on Reiki, whether you feel confident or not, know that it is flowing, regardless. (you could also ask your friend to 'test' your flow through her own hands - some people NEVER feel it in themselves) Some animals, esp. cats, also find it easier to take in when ailing if your hands are a few inches ABOVE their bodies, and not directly ON them. Many cats prefer distance Reiki for this very reason, even if they're healthy....they're just so sensitive to energies. Dogs can be less sensitive, for whatever reasons. They will let you know, though, if you need to move farther away (fidgeting, moving their body away farther themselves, etc.).

For myself, I wish I'd known about and been able to get certified in Reconnective Healing*tm when Nissa could have benefited from that, even instead of Reiki. The regret I feel now, for not having known about this new method THEN (though it WAS around already), is indescribably hard. sad.gif I've come to believe it can be far more powerful and effective than Reiki, or any other energy modalities to date. (see The Reconnection, Dr. Eric Pearl, D.C. if you're interested)

You're obviously a very good and attentive mom to Nori and I'm sure you'll be doing your utmost for your beloved boy.....and he will only love you that much more for each and every little thing you do to help him. wub.gif

Denise,

I'm sure you'll like it. Make sure you also check out Lynn's free "Making The Heart Connection" offer (her DVD is also a pretty good buy and outlines some good steps in ACing) as a means of starting out on connecting telepathically with other beings. They DO just LOVE knowing their people are making such efforts on their behalf! happy.gif

--------------------

[center]~Anonymous~

~Aldo Leopold~

</span></div>

+Quote Post
zookeeper
post Oct 12 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #7

Hi Denise,

Thank you again for even more great information. I actually received a catalogue in the mail that has some of the flower essences you recommend. Problem solved!

I'm v. interested in energy work. And plan to peruse the info on Reconnective Healing too.

A Question:

How aloof is acceptable with cats? I guess I'm a dog person, and don't feel like I get kitties as well. Despite this, I have three. Two girls, eight and three and a boy about two. The girls are the issue, and have been (the boy is a lovebug). I don't get that they're troubled, just indifferent.

(I know that each would be v. different as an only cat).

You have so much experience with cats, is this normal? I know that one on one is important, and we don't always have that. Besides, I'd have to chase them down to give them a hug!

Any insight would be appreciated,

Sharon

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Oct 12 2007, 08:05 PM
Post #8

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 245

Hi Sharon:

Hi Denise,
Thank you again for even more great information. I actually received a catalogue in the mail that has some of the flower essences you recommend. Problem solved!

You're very welcome wink.gif ..... but.... I can't take any credit.... all of the thanks should go to Furkidlets' Mom biggrin.gif . She's responsible for this excellent information biggrin.gif !

I enjoy reading all of her threads/posts and have learned a lot. I only wish that I could RETAIN everything that I read. (copy & pasting works pretty good for me ).

Peace, comfort & love to you all,

Denise

--------------------
Our Beloved Girl, Ernestine (AKA) "Ernie-Bird"
April, 1984 - February 7, 2004
***AFFA***
Forever, you will ALWAYS live on in our hearts!
DEPARTED FROM EARTH, NEVER FORGOTTEN.... Love, Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post
Furkidlets' Mom
post Oct 12 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #9

laugh.gif I'm not Denise! Denise is Denise! laugh.gif I'm Furkidlets' Mom....it's perfectly okay (feel free to laugh), it just gave me a chuckle. happy.gif

Re: the FEs.....heeeyyyyy, that's pretty synchronistic, getting that mag. just when you needed it, eh? wink.gif

Well, every being has their own distinctive personality, of course, but sometimes when they're in a group setting and more or less left to their own devices, they can tend towards.....or maybe more properly, rely less on, interaction with their people. It might not be that they really WANT, though. What I've always found, no matter the cat I've met so far, developing a closer relationship seems to depend more on what YOU bring to the table.

The neighbour's cat who's been coming around for over a year now, and whose personality often comes across as pretty 'grouchy', has warmed up considerably towards me and actually asks me for some rubs and pats now.......ever since I began thinking about her differently. I started joking with her about someday consenting to giving me a kiss (lol!) and right away I sensed a change in the way she looked at me, so I immediately stopped thinking of her as 'grouchy' and instead started thinking about her POTENTIAL to be a much warmer girl......and now she HAS been! biggrin.gif Since that very day, she's started coming over to nap for long periods of time in a few fav*ourite places and doesn't even necessarily beg me for little snacks each time, either. And now I can give her WAY more pats and rubs than she'd ever allowed me to before. I also use this mind trick when I want our other neighbour's cat to play 'smarter'. I believe in her ability to learn to be smarter, and I'm tellin' ya.....w/i seconds, she's finding the 'snake' under the paper, rather than passively waiting for it to emerge out the other side! laugh.gif With this method, I've also taught her to remember to look UP when she's trying to find the feather on the string and it's above her head because it just never occurred to her before to do so.

So many times, or maybe even every time, I think it has to do with our EXPECTATIONS, more than anything else. We have to allow animals (including cats) the potential to grow and become more than we've 'pegged' them as. So you might start by changing your own mind about how they supposedly are first and focus more on how you would imagine them to be in your fondest dreams!....and see if that changes anything. (but you've really gotta believe it's possible) It's like that old but true quote - "To make a man, think him so." This is what I'd done with my own 2 kidlets, from the get-go, and all throughout their lives.....and they turned into the most awe-inspiring, helping, spiritually-centered, wondrous felines anyone could have ever asked for! wub.gif

As to feeling more like you can get 'CAT' as a whole, you've gotta observe them closely.....and then get 'into' their ways of being, like starting to really notice just how darn funny they can be, or how amazing they are when they're stalking something. Try getting down on the ground yourself and see things from their perspective and even try attempting to emulate some of the things they do so naturally and beautifully, with them. Do what THEY do when playing and do it with them. Then lose yourself in the sheer joy of it. This helps you not only appreciate them and their kind of world, but gets you more in that cat-type of mindset. They'll likely really appreciate your efforts to 'get' them. And if you're really lucky, you'll end up wishing you could BE a cat (with a lovely, devoted person just like YOU as a parent)!!! tongue.gif

Here's a fun website you might want to take a peek at, to get an even better idea of how far one can take this. I have the book, and this is for real. I got the book as a gift, but after we'd lost Sabin and Nissa was already older, otherwise I would have tried this myself because it looks like an absolute HOOT!!:
Dancing With Cats

--------------------

[center]~Anonymous~

~Aldo Leopold~

</span></div>

+Quote Post
zookeeper
post Oct 13 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #10

Okay, I think get it....

Furkidlet's Mom and Denise - mea culpa!!!

Sychronicity is something that I have come to rely on and expect!

Dancing w/ Cats - LOVED it.

George is quite the dancer. My h found him in the middle of the road last Christmas, it seems he thinks he has to work it a little more than the girls. He leaps and spins and does some great tricks for treats.

Although the girls do seek me (us) out, they seem to be content to observe more than interact. This is probably complicated of course by two huge setters who monopolize.

It's funny, when I read your post, I realized that we do "create" a story for each. My Persian Lucy just looks grouchy, she has a "half a Hitler mustache" and seems to be sneering at everyone all the time. She is clear in telling me what she wants though. Because she would stand at the door and yell when the dogs were outside, I bought her a harness and a leash. I let her out on the patio to chase bugs etc and she truly loves that. We do go out often, weather permitting.

Bean and I have our special times too but not as much as I'd like. I'm going to follow your advice and see what happens. Looking at situations with a new eye always gives a new perspective, no? Will keep you posted.

An easy one will be locking the naughty boisterous dogs out for a bit each day and focusing only on the girls.

Thanks again, Have a great day to both of you!

smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:29 AM