Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Allie Has A Possible Tumor
AlliesMom
post Feb 16 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 5,539

This post is about my best friend Allie Cat who has been a constant companion for nearly 16 years. I took her to the vet on Thursday due to a cough and "horse" breathing. They took an x-ray and found a possible tumor in her chest. They said they could do further testing to determine what it might be but that cancer was a good possibility. They also sent me home with some anti-biotics. Although the results of the blood work were good, it also led to more questions and more decisions. After much consideration, I have decided to forgo any further testing/action (biopsy, possibly chemo and radiation). Allie did not fare well after the vet visit. She wasn't herself after I brought her home. It was like she was asking me...."Why did you do that to me?" She was very listless and distant. She slept all the time and didn't eat. I actually envisioned waking up in the morning to find her dead in her bed. Giving her the anti-biotics have been a real challenge and Allie seems to hate me for it and I have stopped. The vet said to give the medicine after a meal but she's not eatting now. (she was eatting before I took her to the vet) I think she equated eating with the administration of meds. Given her age, I honestly can't bear to put her through any more testing and pain. I would pay any amount of money if I would have the assurance that she would not bear any pain and that she would return to normal. But, I know that is not the case. Although I suspect her days are numbered, I have decided to try and make her as comfortable as possible and continue to show her my love as I always have done. That's easier said than done. I sometimes question my decision and now I am depressed and have eatan little myself and I have my crying bouts. I dred the day when I have to make that fatefull decision and bear it alone as a single person. For that reason, I am turning to this board for support. I ran across this the other day, and it is apparent to me that you will understand my pain. Please keep Allie in your thoughts and prayers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
goliath
post Feb 16 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,239

Dear Allie's Mom,

You can be sure I will keep both of you in my prayers. I've had more than one ocassion to come here to the Sickness Section and ask for the same. The power of prayer is amazing in that they reach so many people. As each person lends a thought or prayer the energy magnifies more and more. In my cases the outcome went the way I wanted them to. I hope and pray the same for you.

Hugs of love and comfort,
Beth

--------------------
Topics that include Goliath are:
Death of my Furry Baby Boy Chihuahua
Heartfelt Letter to my Goliath
Goliath and Gidget Pics
Happy Birthday Goliath
Goliath's Blessings
Bouncing Baby Browser (Goliath & Gidget's New Baby Brother)
Browser Is Missing!
Goliath Aloysius 1/25/1997 til 11/6/2007
My Gidgie Girl

+Quote Post
AlliesMom
post Feb 16 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #3

Beth, Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. I read the entire post about your precious Gidget and it tore at my heartstrings. I am so glad it had a happy ending and that Gidget is doing well now.

+Quote Post
LoveThem
post Feb 16 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,876

I am sorry to hear about Allie. I understand what you are feeling. And also about making the decision alone as a single person....I have been there also.

I lost my boy Little Guy (my avatar picture here) at age 16 when fluid filled his chest all of a sudden. I lost his twin brother, Keeper in 2002 when it was confirmed by tests that he had lymphoma in both of his lungs. It was growing fast and from when I first thought something was wrong and took him to the vet and then okayed the tests and brought him home....we had to let him go within a week's time. His breathing was getting worse each day. We could have put him on chemo but there was no cure and it was only to buy a little more time.....time in which this sweetheart was suffering. My Little Guy's breathing was all of a sudden and his decision had to be made almost right away. If he hadn't dragged himself into our living room, half conscious.....the vet said if he had been alone, he would have suffocated to death...I couldn't live with ever coming home to that outcome where there is no cure.

Remember, we make that decision for them because they can't make it for themselves and we never want them to suffer. We don't make it lightly but I always discussed the matter with my vet as to how long to wait, what signs to look for, etc. Except my boy's twin brother when we brought him home from the vet, he wasn't eating either and looked so much worse due to the tests, than when we took him in. We had a mobile vet come to our home and check him out again and she said she could tell his breathing was much worse. We made his decision then and she gave him a tranquilizer to put him to sleep and we could hold him and cry without him knowing we were upset, and then she gave him peace. She told us that he went very quickly which told her how weak he really was and how he was trying to hold on. She said that told her also that he was very sick and it was the right decision.

I pray your girl does not suffer. Remember the decision is only given when there is no cure and its purpose is to give them peace. Breathing problems are definitely a reason to talk to the vet, as you have done.

One time, as a single person, I had to put down a 3 year old dog and what helped me was at home I had recently gotten her a puppy as a companion...that puppy demanding my attention helped me in my empty home. Another time, I took my 10 year old dog (that puppy) in cause she had stopped eating..they x-rayed her and she was full of tumors. I wanted to take her home and asked what I should look for to bring her back and make that final decision. The vet said she had 6 months at the most and bring her in right away when she started coughing up blood.
I made the decision that day. I did not want to put her through more discomfort and I did not want to think about that every day when I was at work...what condition would she be in when I came home.

That's why I always asked my vet what the outcome would be with no treatment. What would my baby go through? Were there signs I could see early enough? I did it because by them telling me the worst that may happen, that thought would give me the strength to make the decision. I always hoped I would be told things that showed there was more time but by the time there was any discussion about the subject of making such a decision, for my babies...there was no cure and all I could do is give them peace. I will always hate having to do that but I will continue to give a home to others in spite of the futures.

I know the feeling of helplessness and of being alone with such a decision, not wanting to make it. Not wanting to think of my home without my best friend being there. It is the worst time of all when we are put in such a position.

Two sayings I have read here by "moms" help me when I feel really down about losing my precious ones:

1. The pain of losing her will never ever be greater than the joy of knowing her.

2. I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because I did not love you but because I loved you too much to force you to stay.

And yet, no matter what, I always discussed it all with my vet, sometimes so many time because I wanted to put off the decision. I did that with my Little Guy cause we found a tooth problem and thought maybe that's why he was reluctant to eat. He had dental surgery and seemed to come back okay but then about 10 days later....without warning he dragged himself half conscious to us and kept collapsing. We were in shock but we rushed him to the ER and the x-ray showed he couldn't breathe and expand his lungs because there was fluid in his chest keeping the lungs from expanding. The vet said his gums were blue from no oxygen while he was trying to breathe. This was about 3 PM and we had no inkling of any of this earlier that day or the days before. I never had such an emergency before and I really hope I never do again but I am so thankful we were home to at least scoop him up and take him to the hospital around the corner..so they could help him. They put him in an oxygen tent temporarily so he could breathe easier but the x-rays sealed all decisions. I cry still thinking about this all. But I still would have wanted him for those 16 plus years or any amount of time....even if I knew the ending.

I will pray for you and Allie. I am sure you and she have had 16 wonderful years (as I did with my last boy). I know how they fight getting pills and medicine.

I would call my vet with my boy (before the emergency) and speak to her on the phone to give her a progress report and tell her anything I noticed, thinking if it was important she would tell me to bring him in. I talked to her the Thursday before that Monday and actually made an appointment for Tuesday so she could see him physically and tell me how she thought he was doing so far. But that Monday...he was the one who needed help..and he struggled to come to us.

It was bad coming home without him but when I look at his pictures I always say how sorry I am he had to leave but that I had to give him peace when he was in such distress.

Eventually I adopted a shelter cat and his presence has helped. Having one of these babies waiting for me when I get home gives me a feeling of peace.

You are right. We do understand your pain. We live with it every day ourselves. In time, the pain of loss will be bearable enough that we can think of them without grief overwhelming us.
At other times, we cry until we can't cry anymore. Even having had others in our life, there is nothing that ever prepares us for this time. We love them so very much and want them to be with us many many more years and then we realize how very precious and priceless each day they are here is.

I knew my boy wasn't well toward the end but I still had hope. He would love to lie on the bed like in my avatar and I would go over and hug him and tell him what a good boy he was and how much I love him and that I know something is wrong but I can't help him...I can't cure him. All I could do is wait until he gets better or worse.....he got worse. 10 days earlier he had x-rays of his chest and there was no sign of fluid..he was breathing fine. I think the faster the trouble comes, the harder it is to deal with it.

Hugs and prayers to you and Allie, and don't hesitate to call your vet and discuss things with him or her. They understand what we go through wanting to do the right thing and looking for hope whenever we can. You may want to take her in just to have him/her check how her breathing is doing. I pray that tumor is one that is slow growing, giving you two more time.

I am so sorry....there is understanding here because we truly all have been there. You and Allie definitely have all our prayers.
Judy

--------------------
LITTLE GUY - May 28, 1991 - Sept 10, 2007 - Always in my Heart.
His story: Section D&D: How do I stop crying? and also... My Boy is Gone Forever.

+Quote Post
AlliesMom
post Feb 16 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #5

Thank you so much, Judy, for your kind and supportive words. After reading so many posts on this message board, it is obvious to me that you continue to show that compassion and kindness to others who are in pain. You can obviously relate to this based on the many loves you have shared and lost. Allie seems to be doing a little better today. I was getting really distressed as she would not eat. I typically fed her Iams dry food. However, before I took her to the vet I had changed to wet cat food and she seemed to take to it a little better. I went to the store twice this weekend to pick up something different in hopes she would eat something. No luck. However, I did notice a thread on this message board where someone had given their cat baby food. I asked the vet today if it OK and she said I could try it. And, when I brought it home and scooped it out of the bottle, she started to eat some. I was also successful in mixing some of her meds with the food. I was so happy.....a little glimmer of hope. My precious baby is now curled up on a blanket in front of the heat register and resting comfortably. Thank you once again for your support. Sandy

+Quote Post
LoveThem
post Feb 16 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,876

Sandy,

You painted a beautiful picture of a very contented sweetheart curled up in a blanket and having eaten as she should.

Good thoughts and prayers are always flowing to you both. Give her a hug and a kiss when she wakes up and tell her lots of love and prayers are surrounding the both of you.

Judy

--------------------
LITTLE GUY - May 28, 1991 - Sept 10, 2007 - Always in my Heart.
His story: Section D&D: How do I stop crying? and also... My Boy is Gone Forever.

+Quote Post
sissycat
post Feb 16 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,783

Sending you and your Allie many thoughts and prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:46 AM