Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Green Smoothies For Nutritional Support, for dogs and cats....so far
Furkidlets' Mom
post Jan 21 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 961

I got this from a friend in the States, through her newsletter and thought I would share it, as the best nutrition is always the single most important thing we can do to safeguard our animals from ill health, OR to help them through a healing crisis.

Green Smoothies for Pets

Dear Friends,

Thank you for responding to the story about the doggy who was healed with green smoothies. We have a white cat, Masya, who also likes green smoothies and wheatgrass. Greens are healthful for cats and dogs; they make their fur shine, boost their immune system, prolong life, and protect against cancer. Dos can safely eat same green smoothies that you prepare for yourself. For cats you have to prepare a special blend without fruit, as most cats don’t like fruit and don’t digest them as well.

If your pet doesn’t like green smoothies yet, you may want to teach them. For example, Masya didn’t like the green smoothie at first, so Valya used an eye dropper to put a few drops in Masya’s mouth every time we made one for ourselves. Within a week she was happily licking green smoothie from Valya’s palm. Now she enjoys a little bit of green smoothie a couple of times a week. Our cat’s regular serving is 2-3 tablespoons, twice a week.

Our neighbor has two dogs and they will drink any green smoothie that I offer them, and even got their owner Nancy curious about green smoothies. She read Green For Life and now enjoys green smoothies too! Below are a few recipes for green smoothies for your cats and dogs. Please let us know if any of you have developed any recipes for other pets, for example ferrets, rabbits, parakeets, and others.

Poochie’s Gourmet Green Smoothie
Blend well:
1 cup kale
1 banana
1 cup water
2T olive oil
1t kelp (granules or powder)
Yields: 1 doggy bowl

Fido’s Dream
Blend well:
1 cup spinach
1 apple
1 cup water
2T olive oil
2 capsules fish oil (pour on the smoothie, in the bowl)
Yields: 1 doggy bowl (add some torn nori sheets, dogs love it!)

Fluffy’s Delight
Blend well:
1 cup wheatgrass clippings (or any other grass, not sprayed)
1 cup water
2T olive oil
2 capsules fish oil (pour on the smoothie, in the bowl)
Pinch of catnip (optional)
Yield: 7 servings , you may freeze it in an ice cube tray and serve it by the cube (thawed).

Always check with your vet first, though, to make sure none of the ingredients might be contraindicated for your animal's particular illness, if they have a known one. And for "fish oil" it is recommended you buy certified wild-caught fish oil (e.g. wild salmon), or cod liver oil. However, 2 capsules' worth should still be checked for the I.U. amounts/recipe, to make sure you're not overdosing on the Vit.A in them, especially for cats. The more organic ingredients, the better, too.

--------------------
"I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you."

[center]~Anonymous~

<div align="center">"Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart - but in it"[/center]

~Fleur Conkling Heylinger~

>^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^<

"For one species to mourn the death of another is a noble thing"

~Aldo Leopold~

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage. ~Sri Aurobindo

Spay now or pay later, the interest is killing us.

</span></div>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:52 AM