IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sir Bennett Did It Again!, Went 'missing'.....
paris
post Dec 1 2007, 07:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 3,227

Yes, he did it again. Thanksgiving we went away for the weekend. We 'jokingly' said "OK, now he'll have to wonder where WE are!"

My neighbor comes in every day to check in, and we do leave the window opened for Sir Bennett to get in and out. We've done this several times before, no problem. Except this time the neighbor wrote daily notes that Bennett was nowhere to be seen, food was untouched. And yes, I live in Vermont where it is below freezing and snow. I looked on the deck and there were no paw prints in the snow. (It snowed after we left.)

So now I'm wondering again, where he is, for an entire week. All I could think of is "Here I go again" and was getting depressed. At one point I regretted keeping the window open, but I know that was illogical because he goes out all the time. I know, and have posted, that the choice to let a cat outdoors brings risks. This time, though, he had collar/ID and microchip, so that was helpful.

What was worrying me was the cold, wondering where he was getting food/water. One morning I saw some birds, and that was to me a sign from God that he was OK.

He usually turns up early in the morning, so last evening at 7:00 I let out a scream when I saw him standing at the back deck glass door, lightly covered with snow flurries. I let him in. No collar. I expected a thin and hungry cat, but he actually looked beefier than when he left.

This cat is a mystery and he's driving me crazy!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
katzen11
post Dec 1 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,125

Sir Bennett wub.gif
You did it again
collar/microchip/window opened/neighbor/.........
lots of flyers, adds in the newspaper, calling all the vets..............
Sir Bennett is always coming home.............
Paris, I don`t know
well, You are Sir Bennetts mom,
when i was young, i remember, that a very sweet cat, very much loved by all of us, left us to stay with another family
she was a young mother, and maybe she wanted only the best for her kids
my sister had a wonderfull cat, then she found out that "Petty" had another "girlfriend", so she had a lot of trouble to make sure, that the "girlfriend"did not serve too much food....
Sir Bennett,
your mom is loving you, you are a lovable guy
i am sure, you do love her also,
so, pleeeeaaase, stay with paris
eva

--------------------
in loving memory of my sweet babycat Felice
+ 8 december 2006

+Quote Post
Zita'sMom
post Dec 1 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,938

Paris

I talked to someone who found a cat and finally decided to keep it only to later found out that the cat belonged to a neighbour a block or so away. A few months later, this cat appeared wearing a new collar with a new name - it had adopted yet another neighbour. So the cat had 3 names and homes.

I wonder if that is what Bennett's up to..

Jan

+Quote Post
paris
post Dec 4 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Zita'sMom @ Dec 1 2007, 01:51 PM)
Paris

I talked to someone who found a cat and finally decided to keep it only to later found out that the cat belonged to a neighbour a block or so away.  A few months later, this cat appeared wearing a new collar with a new name - it had adopted yet another neighbour.  So the cat had 3 names and homes.

I wonder if that is what Bennett's up to..

Jan

Hi Zita.

Don't know if you read the prior sagas of Bennett, but he has taken several week or more travels. I am seriously wondering if someone is not taking him in, because why would he choose to stay outdoors for 8 days in 30 degree weather? Of course, it's possible.....

Since his collar was off, I wouldn't know if someone had him at their home. You would think with a collar they would call me (?)

Bennett is EXREMELY friendly. He's the kind of cat that friends who have their own cats say "Oh, I wish could pick up Fluffy and hold her like Bennett!"

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Dec 4 2007, 04:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,750

I would put another collar on him, and with indelible ink, write on it something like,"He's gonna go where he's gonna go, but if you're helping feed him, please call so I won't worry. Thanks! 555-1234" ~Kimberly

--------------------
...You precious children, of four feet, whiskers, and mischief...

+Quote Post
Eagle'sMom
post Dec 13 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,336

Oh Paris...what an ordeal!

I'm so glad you got him back...

Luv,

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Feb 6 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #7

So, has Sir Bennett been staying put? ~Kimberly

--------------------

+Quote Post
paris
post Feb 7 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #8

Kim,

I can not believe you asked that. I was ashamed to post this and was not going to say anything. Bennett is gone again, and this time I think our luck has run out.

I know it sounds weird, but on Xmas he went out and hasn't been back yet.

I don't know what to think, and I can't believe I am going through this again. Although, truthfully, he has come and gone so many times I am a bit worn down. Thankfully, he had a collar (which may be off) and this time he is microchipped, so that covers some bases.

It seems, because of all the coming and going, that he MAY have 'a place' he goes to. I don't know. I miss him and dream about him.

The bottom line, kim, is that Bennett is truly an outdoor cat. No way we could keep him inside. If, God forbid, something did happen to him, well, his life was spent exploring nature and being outdoors.

It's so strange that you posted on this thread after so long! You must have ESP.

+Quote Post
Zita'sMom
post Feb 7 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #9

Paris - I'm so sorry to hear it's been so long without Bennett. I do hope he is just sharing his special self with someone else. I know how difficult it is not knowing. But as you said Bennett is an outdoor cat and at least he's been living the life he loves.

I adopted another orange tabby female from the SPCA (a 5 yr old or older cat) after feeling such a huge loss when Zita disappeared. Her name is Ziggy. She will never be Zita, but she is a companion for Zeus who was getting grumpy after a couple of months alone. Zeus is more cuddly again and I think this helps all of us.

Here it is snowing right now and right now it's no problem keeping the cats in. Ziggy has only been out a couple of times in the day when some of the workman who were over left doors open. I am petrified of letting her out, but we live on an acreage and in the summer it is a cat's paradise. We have lost 2 cats here and I know it can be dangerous; especially at night. However, during the daytime when the weather is better I will probably let them go out and keep them in after their evening meal. My dogs are with me always and when they go out, they go out with me. With cats it's more difficult. They have minds of their own. On one hand Zita was very much enjoying her life mousing in the early hours, but on the other I have experienced so much pain of loss with her and I regret that I couldn't/didn't protect her. She was an extremely special cat. So it is hard to find a balance and it just has to be what "feels right", I guess.

I can't help but still sometimes wish for something miraculous where she just turns up at the door, but I know that all evidence is to the contrary.

With Bennett - maybe that will still happen. I hope he is just sharing his love with someone else.... I do think that life should be about quality and not quant*ity.

Jan

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Feb 7 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (paris @ Dec 1 2007, 05:23 AM)
No collar. I expected a thin and hungry cat, but he actually looked beefier than when he left.

Yup, yup, yup, he's found a second home. I feel it in every bone of my body that he's fat and happy at somebody else's food bowl. Fickle little butthead, ain't he? When you said he was fatter, returning after a second foray, I really wondered if he was just dropping by to let you know he was fine and hale, and going to go live somewhere else.

Someone here posted about a cat that collected THREE homes. If it were me, I think I'd be dealing with feelings of rejection, wondering why he didn't love me enough to stay. But I can feel it's just that he's a lothario, and falls in love with everybody. He's a real sociable cat, yes? Paris, he's fine. I don't know how I know, but I do. It's still a sad loss to not have him in your home, but please rest easy knowing he's alive and well and living high somewhere not too far away. The little farthead. wub.gif ~Kimberly

--------------------

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Feb 8 2008, 03:01 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,331

I believe I am going through the same thing with Jax. Every neighbor I talk to now tells me, " Oh we love that cat." " We almost got him a collar." " We walked down the street with our dog and him every day." SO... he has had all these other people in his life.. and friends... and unlike humans I guess cats dont' realize they should have friends, but ONE home! I think my Jax is like SIr Bennet and is eating wet food on another's lap! I only offer dry food... maybe I need to improve the diet....
It helps to hear also that others allow their cats to be free.. I tried to keep Jax and indoor only cat for the first 4 months we had him.. since we'd lost Toonces in end of July in Maine... other post... and it was SO heartwrenching.. this was definately a coyote deal or fisher cat.... woods in Maine... it had happened to me many many years back... so when we got Jax to heal our hearts we thought, this time we'll keep him safe, our hearts safe, but then it was too hard to thwart what we could tell was his instinct, right, desire.
I didn't do collar. I never have. I worry about them getting caught, never got a breakaway kind.. I did get the tag, but not the right collar... so I didn't use it. I shoudl have I guess, but it sounds like the either ditch them or people take them off?
Anyway.... it is better to hear that more cats are fickle and that Jax might return home.. only to leave again! I guess I need to not feel like he's 'mine' and that I only get to visit and pay the vet bills!
I hope he turns up one day so I can hug and scold him! My mother is coming down for the winter ( we're in Florida) and she was so looking forward to seeing how much he grew. She was with me when Toonces went missing and saw my pain.. and then Jax as a sickly new kitty we nursed to health and hearty and sociability. We loved him so much that he became a lothario as you put it!
Well, I am trying to keep a fun positive visual about it. He's eating steak somewhere and was mad I had to put ear drops in every day. So he ditched me. Easier to take than he is hurting somehow...
I have flyers and might put an ad.. but I feel like that hurts the most. so I might just let him come home... but it is hard doing nothing.. so I am balancing doing something with laughing about him running away as it were.
Joani dry.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Sassy Girl
post Feb 8 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,269

My Sassy Girl has been missing almost a month now. After talking to my neighbor this morning he thinks that somone took her and give her to somone. I live in condo complex and Sassy was way to friendly with people so really like the people with dogs she would help them with there walks. Thing is alot people knew who she blong too. She did like getting the birds so it could be possible that somone got mad and got her and giver away. She did have a collar on and she dose have a mirco chip so if she every gets to a vet hoppfuly they will do a scan. I wish they would put a GPS in a chip!!!!! That way we know excatly where our fur babies go!!!!

I hopping someone dose have her at least the coyotes did get the sweet girl and I hope if she is close by she will come home.

Good luck on finding your Janx,I keep saying a prayer for him to get home!!!

Take care

Sandy

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Feb 10 2008, 03:08 AM
Post #13

It's been a week now and I am not enjoying this ride of pain all over again.. can't sleep... feel it's too hard to do the paper/flyer/searching/ etc... and NOT doing it is a guilt feeling too.. I go on a nightly vigil it seems. I really just want Jax to come home NOW. How is it that some people can't shake their cats for 20 years and I have to go through this twice in six months?!
Well, best of luck to all and I"m with ya, if you're crying in your pillows as well!
Joani

+Quote Post
Zita'sMom
post Feb 10 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (oceanpets @ Feb 10 2008, 03:08 AM)
It's been a week now and I am not enjoying this ride of pain all over again.. can't sleep... feel it's too hard to do the paper/flyer/searching/ etc... and NOT doing it is a guilt feeling too.. I go on a nightly vigil it seems. I really just want Jax to come home NOW. How is it that some people can't shake their cats for 20 years and I have to go through this twice in six months?!
Well, best of luck to all and I"m with ya, if you're crying in your pillows as well!
Joani

Hi Joani

I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. Everyone kept saying "don't give up" and my life went on hold for about 6 weeks after Zita disappeared while I posted flyers, cycled all the neighbourhoods, knocked on doors etc. It is so painful. There was a point where I was ready to give up because I think I knew in my gut Zita was in spirit. But then someone would say "don't lose hope". There is a point where you have to give yourself permission to think about something besides the grief of your lost pet, and allow yourself to feel happiness again without thinking of it as betrayal. I don't think I will ever "get over" Zita. I feel cheated and it was a shock to lose her so early in her life. She was a special, special pet, with such a healing spirit. I still want her back. But my life isn't over yet, and I have to go on without her. I don't have a choice. I just have to be reassured that her spirit knows the love I feel and will find me again someday.

take care of yourself

Jan.

+Quote Post
oceanpets
post Feb 10 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #15

Thank you SO much for your kind words! I just happened to look on view new posts and viola!
My son and a friend put some more flyers in mailboxes of a street close to us. Just incase... I didn't put a picture but he has such definite paws, thumbs actually and is all black and super friendly, so that's enough. I hope someone calls. I will make more. But I can't do it, someone else has to.
I can say that going through this, as well as the loss of my father, and a miscarriage all since last summer, having others actually DO something to ease pain, just follow through on things you ask of them, whether it's search, or make a casserole, or whatever, IS KEY to making you feel better. LIke when I had the flu a few weeks ago and my son made me a grilled cheese and brought me ginger ale with a straw! It made ALL the difference.
SO.... I hope I can sleep tonight, and I dont' have a feeling fully yet that he's gone... but I will try to keep moving forward. IT wont' help to dwell in pain, but it's hard to just let the heaviness float away, it is just there, some days more than others... I'm pretty upbeat, so this feels bad. I just need to talk about it a bit more with some more people.
Well, take care.
I made scones today! I also have some other real people in my life who suddenly appeared and are making it bright, even if I lost my beloved Jaxy..
Joani

+Quote Post
paris
post Feb 14 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #16

Hello everyone. I have been ill with a flu or something and just got on the computer.

Kim,

Thank you so much for your positive thoughts. I do hope you are right. I certainly hold you as a cat expert. There is a chance Bennett will be back, but as you know, there is a chance he won't. I have to wait it out. It's hard winter now so maybe in the springtime......There is no way to control a cat like Bennett. His nature is to live and roam outdoors and yes, he is incredibly friendly. Even people who own cats prefrer Bennett over theirs! ("Oh, look how we can pick Bennett up and hold him! My cat jumps out of my arms when I try!")

Jan,

Bennett is a brown tabby, a lot like your cats. I've also thought about going out and getting another tabby. I also wish that Zita would miraculously turn up and I'm sorry she is gone.

Sandy,

Sorry Sassy hasn't been found. It is indeed a mystery what happened. I don't think someone would find her if she has the collar on and do nothing.

Joanie,

I know the pain of not knowing if your cat will be found, one minute thinking he's alive, the next thinking the worst. You have been through so much this year. It's hard to give up, and hard to keep looking. There's always the thought of 'what did I miss." I do think a breakaway collar with ID is good for all cats.

Thanks to everyone for caring. I hope to come back to this thread soon and hear some good news.

+Quote Post
katzen11
post Apr 15 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,125

paris, rolleyes.gif
I know, Sir Bennett wub.gif is doing it again and again.
I think, he is just a very special boy, giving his love to.........
paris, do you want to write something about him ?
maybe later,
Eva

--------------------
in loving memory of my sweet babycat Felice
+ 8 december 2006

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:54 AM