3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Found A Kitty --, Remind me what to do
Mink&WillowsMom
post Nov 24 2007, 01:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 1,750

Wow, now that the shoe is on the other foot, I forget what all should be done. Today I rescued a kitty stranded in a grassy median in the middle of a state highway. He's been lost for weeks, nothing but matted fur and bones. Only 5-1/2 pounds. Last night it got down to 27 degrees, tonight's supposed to be 22 -- I really don't know that he'd have made it, he has no body fat left.

Right now, however, he's warm, fed, watered, and sound asleep on a sheepskin rug wrapped over a hot water bottle. He's affectionate, gentle, purrs easily. And he's beautiful: long-haired sable brown-black fur, white blaze, gold eyes.

I called all the vets, and my county's cat rescue.
I called the next county's animal control (ours doesn't do cats)
Tomorrow I'll get him scanned for a microchip.
I've posted on Craigslist, and on a local radio station website.
I can put an ad in the paper Monday (our paper is weekly).

There's no way to put flyers up, since I found him in the middle of the highway near the county line. There's a ******* near there, I could see if they have an area for flyers. Anything else I could do?

I just couldn't leave him there to die. I just couldn't.
Kimberly
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
...You precious children, of four feet, whiskers, and mischief...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Furkidlets' Mom
post Nov 24 2007, 01:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 961

Wherever you're allowed to, file an official "found" report (rather than just talking to people at agencies) and tell them you're "fostering" the cat for now until the guardian comes forward (if they ever do, of course). Also, do a Google search for "found pets" and list the cat on the various websites (there are many of them, other than Craig'slist) that offer this service (for your country, area, etc.), as well as checking each site for possible matches of "lost" cats, of course. Also Google for vitally important tips on how to effectively SCREEN any calls you might get so you don't make the mistake of giving the cat to someone who ISN'T the real guardian (who might do the cat much harm, or sell them to a lab, etc., or even do YOU harm - never meet someone in private &/or alone) - can't stress this step ENOUGH. There may even be some of these tips within the links from me that were pinned at the top of this forum. Put up posters in all the vet locations around for miles and if you can, also the various agencies (a picture's worth more than a description).

Oh, and any pictures and descriptions of the cat that ANYONE can view shouldn't contain all individual physical characteristics that a stranger could then use to describe the cat completely - leave some markings or something OUT of the picture, and try to keep the description of personality mainly out of it. His future safety is at stake. Make any caller tell YOU about these things instead. (although keep in mind, I've sadly noticed MOST people can't even tell you the colour of their own cat's eyes!.....so pathetic!) You can even have them bring their OWN picture of the cat to a public place and you can then compare your own photos to theirs.

Unfortunately, if someone's lost him but doesn't care to be doing their OWN job of searching for him, your hands will be tied despite all the leg-work you do.

And of course, if you decide after giving this a few weeks, that you'd rather adopt him out, find all info. on the web that you can about safe and effective screening techniques for any potential adopters.

Thank God you rescued this poor guy, Kimberly, regardless of how the rest of this goes. Kudos to you! wub.gif Best of luck on yet another unplanned project dumped in your lap! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you."

[center]~Anonymous~

<div align="center">"Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart - but in it"[/center]

~Fleur Conkling Heylinger~

>^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^<

"For one species to mourn the death of another is a noble thing"

~Aldo Leopold~

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage. ~Sri Aurobindo

Spay now or pay later, the interest is killing us.

</span></div>

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Nov 24 2007, 06:03 PM
Post #3

Lots of good info, thanks! I hadn't thought of 'holding back' key info, but it makes sense. Besides, they'll have to PROVE this is their cat, with corroborating info AND pictures.

Took her to the vet's today, yep you heard me: HER. We poked around a lot of fuzz and lo and behold, definitely a girl. Couldn't find a spay scar.

Tartar on her teeth suggest she's at least 2 or 3, probably even older.

No microchip sad.gif
Negative for feline leukemia biggrin.gif

She's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, sleeping, and purring -- all good signs. Last night I wasn't sure she'd survive, but now I'm optimistic. She clearly enjoys affection, but right now she's more interested in sleep than being held. Besides, she's so bony I wonder if being touched even feels good? But "lightly rubbing me under the chin is just fine!" she says.

EVERYBODY I tell immediately asks, "so what did you name her?" Popular vote, I guess, is that I now have four cats. I'm not quite there yet. The two kittens are curious, but not overly concerned about The Hidden Cat In The Office. Willow, however, is hiding under the bed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zookeeper
post Nov 24 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,116

Dear Kim,

Okay, so I always like to say that Milo is a great name, girl or boy - Milo is the best name for a great pet:rolleyes:

but I'm getting that your Dad is going to name this one.. even if you're intending to foster her to the home of her dreams..

and may I say, thank you, friend, from the bottom of my heart, for being there for this one..

Words cannot express how much joy it gives me to come here and to see others giving back, taking in these sweet little creatures who had (where?) to go... Kim, you rock!

Twitch and your Dad always maintained that you were the Best!

All good things to you and a kiss to the baby (and all of her friends at you house)

smile.gif sharon

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Nov 26 2007, 02:15 AM
Post #5

She's doing amazingly well. She gets up to greet me each time I walk in the room -- I can't believe she has the energy already. She has a delightful little talky purr-meow, 'mmrrogghhow' that is probably going to be what wins me over. She's peeing a lot, so as dehydrated as she is, I wonder if her kidneys are damaged. I'll take her back to the vet's as soon as she's a little stronger.
Willow is stressed, and told me ALL about it when it took 2-1/2 hours (!) to get him in after dark. He'd walk up to the door, I'd open it, he'd want to come in, then he'd turn and walk back out into the night. Clearly not wanting to deal with what faces him in the house. But once inside, he has relaxed and curled up ON my bed this evening, not UNDER it.

Once again, once AGAIN, I am reminded how swiftly life can throw in left turns... I need to start thinking like a skier, swiftly maneuvering across moguls (is that how it's spelled?), deftly in the zone, enjoying the ride... ~Kimberly
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simba's Daddy
post Nov 26 2007, 02:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,899

As I was reading this thread the last picture took up my whole monitor and my cat, Simba, jumpped up on my computer desk and started pawing at the screen... to cute! wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moose Mom
post Nov 26 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,225

Mink & Willows Mom

Wow she is a beauty. She was so lucky that you saw her and took her in. Thank you for taking care of a little one who needed you.

Life does come at you fast.

Love

--------------------
Lori
For some of my Bridge kids.
Butch 1974-1996
Alex 1981-1996
Moose 1996-2006
Mommy loves and misses you guys. She remember's all of you, even though it's too many to name each one. I can't wait to see you again.

+Quote Post
LoveThem
post Nov 26 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,876

Love these pictures! Really reminds me of my Little Guy and his twin brother Keeper.
Bless you so much for giving her a home.

--------------------
LITTLE GUY - May 28, 1991 - Sept 10, 2007 - Always in my Heart.
His story: Section D&D: How do I stop crying? and also... My Boy is Gone Forever.

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Nov 26 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #9

My two youngest and her have been about 4 feet apart, eyeing each other through a doorway so far. Luna did the requisite hissing, but you could tell her heart wasn't in it. I wish SO much that one of the kittens (they're 18 months old now, but I still call them that) would have strode in, curious, and started grooming her. She needs it SOOO badly, both for the cleaning and the mama-like touch. She's not strong enough for me to bathe yet. Her breathing still takes work -- she's so weak and sunken in her posture that heaving her body up to absorb expanding ribs looks like SO much effort.

She's still peeing more than I would think a dehydrated cat would. She's drinking water, but not THAT much. In two and a half days, I've scooped about 2 quarts' worth of litter clumps out of the box. NOTE: I don't for a moment mean she's peed 2 quarts, just that the solid clumps take up about that much volume, you litterbox users will know what I mean. (Well, those of you whose CATS use litterboxes...) The bucket I'm scooping the clumps into is keeping pace with the bucket I use for ALL THREE OTHER litterboxes my brood uses. It dawns on me that she might have already had kidney disease, or be in kidney failure, and now here I'm feeding her all this protein. That concerns me. ~Kimberly

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoveThem
post Nov 26 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #10

The only one who can answer your concerns would be the vet. You may want to take her for your peace of mind....just a thought.

--------------------
His story: Section D&D: How do I stop crying? and also... My Boy is Gone Forever.

+Quote Post
Furkidlets' Mom
post Nov 26 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #11

Oh, goodness, Kimberly, she doesn't sound like she's in very good shape. sad.gif I wouldn't wait to get her back to the vet, if it were me. She may need sub-cu. or even I.V. fluids pronto. That's a LOT of pee in such a short time! By comparison, even when Nissa was 'flaring' with her kidney/bladder issues, I probably only got about 6 pees/day to scoop = about 2 cups of clumped litter. And while she was a tiny girl, I'd think that a larger cat would only have had about another cup or so in litter volume (judging from the larger neighbours' cats' pees)...plus, Nissa DID drink quite a bit/day, too, aside from eating her wet food with added purified water. Unfortunately, this does sound likely to be kidney damage, which, with care and the proper info./trtmnt. could be managed quite well, depending on her kidney levels (which might have to be carefully monitored for a time). But if it is, and you wait, it's most likely to worsen and you may lose her.

For your concern about proteins, you might try getting some cream of white or brown RICE (not wheat) and add up to 25% of it (cooked, and further pureed if it 'bothers' her) to her wet food.....or even some overly-cooked whole (not 'quick') oats if you can't find the creamed rice quickly. If it ISN'T kidney problems, this won't hurt in the short term and if it IS, it will take some of the burden off her kidneys. It IS a total myth that kidney-compromised cats should get LOW protein foods, as this ends up making their bodies 'eat' their muscle protein and they basically end up starving to death. So LOWER protein is okay, but is not usually even needed or recommended by holistic vets until their kidney enzymes are at a continually high level. (but you'd need a blood test to test and track these enzymes periodically) It's the QUALITY of the protein source that's critical. There's much to learn with this one concern, though, more than what I can say in one short paragraph.

And of course, don't feed her DRY food if you suspect kidney damage. While dry food is great for concentrated food energy and putting more weight on quicker, or keeping it on, it's terrible for the kidneys, especially if a cat is already dehydrated - it will only dry them out that much more.

I HOPE it's not kidney stuff, or you'll have your work cut out for you in all you'll have to learn. (but there are already many resources listed here for same, if needed)

And if she really is sick, those FEs I'd mentioned to you before (post found here.) would ALSO help keep her calmer and more able to battle whatever she's facing. (as well as cutting down on Luna's hissing if the rest of the crew get them, too) And if she's drinking water, you could simply put the required number of drops (like 2-4 drops) straight (neat) into her water bowl each day. Make sure it's purified water and not just those grocery store bottled waters, many of which aren't really decontaminated, or of pure source, as they claim. A better option is buying R.O. (reverse osmosis) water and adding about 1 tsp. of liquid "Concentrace" minerals(health food store) to each gallon of water. If her kidneys aren't functioning properly, very clean, yet mineralized water is imperative to aiding their reduced filtration abilities.

If you want to bathe her, just use something with some weave to it, like old, 'nubbly' terry cloth and only dampen it a bit with warm, purified water, so as not to get her too damp, and play 'Mother-cat', grooming her sideways to the lay of the fur, or even in circles, like cats do with each other, then wiping her off and smoothing down the fur with a dry cloth if needed afterwards. In fact, you can even use the already-diluted FE mixture to spray the cloth before bathing her. And give her something warm to lay on, like a flannel-covered gel-pack such as can be found in drugstores (checking that it's not TOO warm for tender cat skin), or a hot water bottle completely and safely wrapped in something flannel. Kidney cats usually crave warmth, as they tend towards chilliness, and especially if you bathe her. A 'cave' type structure might also be most welcome to her (like those cat 'igloos' sold in stores), as they trap body heat and also provide a feeling of protection - also great for vet visits, in between being examined &/or subjected to tests.

Hope this all helps, and wishing for the best for her health, despite what this looks like..... unsure.gif

--------------------
"I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you."

[center]~Anonymous~

~Aldo Leopold~

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage. ~Sri Aurobindo

</span></div>

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Nov 26 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #12

If she hasn't started drinking again by the time I get home from work tomorrow (early day, fortunately), I'll take her in for Sub Cu fluids. Unfortunately I am all too familiar with managing chronic kidney failure. Tinsica died of it at 18-1/2, and just months after her death Cheddar was diagnosed and died four months later. I have MUCH more to learn about diet changes, but I understand the scope of it, on the animal and the family.

I have some flower essences in everybody's water already, though I'll consult with the gal who prepares them to make sure I have the best blend for what's going on. (I had them from when Twitch was entering the family.)

I do have Cream of Rice in the cupboard, I'll give her some this evening.
I've been heating up one of those dry corn heat packs, and sliding under the sheepskin rug she's sleeping on. The local kitten rescue lent me a carrier with a snuggly towel, and sometimes she curls up in there.

A friend said her brother the vet uses a trick of breaking catnip in the water to increase interest in drinking. The leaves need to be torn underwater, with clean hands, to release the oils. It's growing in the front yard, so I'll try that this evening too.

Oh, and I'm starting to call her Sable, for the beautiful brown-black color of her fur.

In my heart, I don't feel like she'll be with me long, but while she's here, she'll be safe, fed, warm, and loved.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Furkidlets' Mom
post Nov 27 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #13

Oh, that's excellent! I'm relieved you already know much about kidney issues (although not why you do sad.gif ) , so I'm sure Sable will get great care in your loving hands. LOVE her (probable?) name, as it's SO elegant-sounding! I'd actually considered that one for Sabin, but it just sounded too 'girly' for a guy, and besides, he was totally black, not a brown-black combo.....although his fur actually started going a dark mahogany (most visible in sunlight) when he began to show signs of illness.

Yes, a catnip infusion (or actual catnip tea, cooled) is also great for kidney and bladder problems, besides relaxing them overall. (especially good for kidney stones, so I've read) I'd tried this tea with Nissa, too, but even though she liked fresh and dried catnip leaves, she refused to drink it as her water. Go figure. But even straight leaves can help the kidneys.

I'm also so glad you've got someone to work out an FE blend for her, so her individual needs and trauma issues can be addressed.

Despite what's going on with her, I'm soooo thankful she's with someone like you, no matter how long or short her time may be. At least she'll have known real tenderness, care, concern and a loving home after whatever ordeals she's been through.

Keep us posted, about both her AND you!

--------------------

[center]~Anonymous~

~Aldo Leopold~

</span></div>

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Nov 27 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #14

Took her to the vet today for sub cu fluids. Exam, bloods, and $321 later, she's home and resting comfortably. I still don't know if she'll survive. She's eating a lot, but she's stopped drinking and she's peeing WAY too much. I'm feeding her moist food, which the vet said was about 70% water, so she's getting a lot that way. She was feisty with them during the bloodtests -- good, I'm glad to know she had strength in her to do that. The vet said she's somewhere between 3 and 4 years old. Seems young to have any chronic kidney problem -- the vet is really curious to see what the labs show.

When I tell people about how I found her, nearly *everyone* has a similar story of taking in a stray animal at some point. So to anyone who has lost an animal, there ARE times, lots of times, when someone sees another soul in desperate straits, and opens their home and heart to offer shelter, safety, food, warmth, and love.

And as she starts to weave her charms with me, I notice some strange thoughts wafting through my head. A large part of me doesn't want to find her owner. I'm covering all the bases, certainly, but my heart's not in it. To justify such selfish thoughts, I think, "well, fate gave her to me," or "maybe she ran away from a home where she was sick and not being taken care of."

But, truth is, I know she came from a loving, wonderful home, because she's so affectionate and gentle. And she was given canned cat food, because when I opened a soda can, her head snapped up like a flag. "FOOD?" ~Kimberly
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Nov 27 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #15

And one more...
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoveThem
post Nov 28 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #16

She is just beautiful! Bless you for taking her in and good thoughts are flowing to her to be strong and well and have many years of love with you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
paris
post Nov 28 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,227

Kim,

Why do I get the idea you like cats? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Nov 28 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (paris @ Nov 28 2007, 11:30 AM)
Why do I get the idea you like cats? wink.gif

Ya think? ;-)
Always. The connection has been strong since I was a child. Cats have always been "we" not "they."

Lab results are guardedly optimistic. After seeing her condition, the vet was puzzled by a relative absence of findings. She has "cast" in her kidney cells, which indicates some kind of damage to the kidneys, such as maybe getting into a toxin of some sort. Whether it's temporary (i.e., will the kidney repair itself) or permanent, he doesn't know. We'll repeat one of the tests in a week. I was holding my breath about the labs -- girding myself to hear the she was in kidney failure. To the contrary, her urine is concentrated like it should be, so her kidneys are functioning well.

Not a lot of bad news, but given her presentation and her behavior, not a lot of answers yet either. But I'm much more optimistic that she'll get through this health crisis! Next week's test will tell us a lot about which direction her kidney's are going.

When I came home from work today she still had food in her bowl, so the ravenous "I'm starving!" appet*ite is calming down. Actually, I'd rather that she was eating more, since that's a good way to get moisture into her. She's still not drinking much (any??), that I see. I'd like to see the water level in her bowl dropping. ~Kimberly
PS: couldn't resist, took this of my "kittens" Rohan and Luna a couple nights ago:
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Furkidlets' Mom
post Nov 28 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #19

Okay, a guarded "Phew!", too. Yeah! Casts can mean many things, so let's hope they're just gone the next time! (Nissa only had these in small amounts maybe a couple of times {and I must have close to 100 urinalyses results here} but I was always told not to worry unless they were recurring &/or in larger amounts) Had you tried Googling excessive urinating in cats yet, to see what else you might be looking for? Is she still dehydrated now, or has that subsided? (do you know the "gum" test to check for dehydration, versus the less accurate skin test?)
She's still not drinking much (any??), that I see. I'd like to see the water level in her bowl dropping.

Well, if she's NOT dehydrated any more, that's probably a GOOD sign, cuz most cats aren't supposed to drink noticeable amounts if they're healthy and not eating mainly dry food. If they're getting adequate moisture from their (wet) food, they don't need to drink much extra. (wild cats don't) So maybe we can all hope that she's just leveling out her systems overall? It's also not UNlikely she may have gotten into something bad when she was wandering around, since there are so MANY things that can be toxic to these ultra-sensitive creatures. Keeping my fingers crossed for Sable......

And my, oh my......Rohan and Luna are beauties, too! Makes me want to just jump in that fur-pile with them! tongue.gif Is there anything sweeter than felines curled up with whomever? I feel like a nap..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

--------------------

[center]~Anonymous~

~Aldo Leopold~

</span></div>

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Nov 28 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Furkidlets' Mom @ Nov 28 2007, 04:29 PM)
And my, oh my......Rohan and Luna are beauties, too! Makes me want to just jump in that fur-pile with them! tongue.gif Is there anything sweeter than felines curled up with whomever?

How about this one of Luna -- couldn't you just eat her with a spoon???

Tell me about the dehydration gum test -- I don't know that one. ~K
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:52 PM