4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2 Years Ago Today, Sir Thomas
Tom's Dad
post Dec 8 2012, 09:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,946

It's been 2 years to the day my Sir Thomas crossed over the Rainbow Bridge to be with the angles. I will forever remember that horrible night. Coming in the door from work, finding him on the cold bathroom floor. He appeared to be gasping for air about every 10-20 seconds. I would find out from the vet ER nurse that it was just involuntary; lungs shutting down. When I frantically called my cabbie friend to take us there, the vet confirmed he was gone sad.gif

Most of you who read my posts already know this story, and how he battled diabetes for almost 4 years. To this day I cannot get over my anger at the so called substitute vet who put him under for a routine teeth cleaning when his BG was dangerously low! I truly feel in my heart and soul this was the beginning of his decline. It was so hard to watch him go down hill over the period of that last 9-10 months. Knowing that even if I had the money, Dr. Mills said it would probably only be a temporary solution at best to go through the expensive treatment of his thyroid (he was eating but losing a lot of weight over the last couple months) I wish I'd been there for him. I wish that I'd had the courage to help him pass over. But he fought so hard and clung to life like no other living being I have ever known. I didn't want to take that away from him.

Sir Thomas, I'm so sorry I was not there for you that day. I should have stayed home from work. In hind sight, I think you knew your time was near. The way you tried to meow, but could barely croak. The way you tried to stand brave even though your hind legs were giving out. I miss you my little man. You live forever in my heart and soul. Also thank you for looking over your little sis Theresa and sending your little brother in spirit Tang my way. Until we meet again Tommy Boy, at the Bridge. This one's for you. I love you.

Dad.

http://youtu.be/JxPj3GAYYZ0

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Dec 8 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #2

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing your and your beloved Sir Thomas' 2 year angel-versary with us, and your loving tribute to your beloved companion. I do so understand the heart-felt wants to change events - - to make the series of events better for our companions - - including when their earthly journey is coming to an end. As we continue to travel our earthly journey nothing in heaven or on earth will ever take these heart-felt wants away, for they are part of the "wisdom" we have learned from the hindsight of events as they unfolded. It is a reminder to us that we truly are not all-powerful and all-knowledgeable - - that we travel this earthly journey by faith and not by sight.

I know it is hard to console your heart when it is filled with sorrow. Still, Tracy, I hope somehow you be able to find comfort in my words that from everything you have shared with us it is quite obvious you did everything in your power with the information you had at the moment to provide for your beloved Sir Thomas according to his needs. Your beloved Sir Thomas knows this, too. But I do understand that there are experiences that happen in our lives that we will wish we could change - - and that this will be a part of us until it is our appropriate moment in time to leave the bonds of our earthly life and be reunited with our beloved companions in eternal joy.

When it feels like doubt and failure are overtaking you, Tracy, look into the loving eyes of your precious Theresa and little Tang. Hopefully your heart will find comfort and hope and encouragement to just keep doing what you're doing to the best of your ability, for as it is written, "Love is enduring" - - and your precious Theresa, little Tang, and beloved Sir Thomas know how much you love them.

Thank you again so much for sharing your and your beloved Sir Thomas' 2 year angel-versary with us. I hope today is treating you and your precious Theresa and little Tang kindly, my friend. Please know you and your precious companions are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you and your precious Theresa and little Tang are doing, and to sharing your treasured memories of your beloved Sir Thomas.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Dec 8 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Thank you moon_beam

This post was really difficult to write. I had to fight back the tears when writing it and reading your response. I can't believe he's been gone for 2 years now. Sometimes I feel like his memory is slipping away from me, and it makes me sad. I sometimes wonder, is this what happens with the passage of time? Does he just fade away? I don't always "talk" to him out loud every day like I used to. I get so caught up with Tang's issues and trying not to forget that while fairly healthy, Theresa is approaching senior status. I don't even want to think about when it's her her time or Tang's. All I know is that Tom made me a better person for having known him. I hope I was able to give him a happy life in our all too brief 5 1/2 years.......

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Dec 8 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #4

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I can't believe he's been gone for 2 years now. Sometimes I feel like his memory is slipping away from me, and it makes me sad.

that was a quick 2 years. considering your undeniable love for Tom, rest assured your memories may soften over the years but will never be lost. after nearly 17 years, i remember and memorialize tribble's passing every New Year's Day. not so good memories of the days leading up to his death are still part of the process. but mostly good thoughts shine through. it comforts me that us and our departed pets (and human loved ones too) will meet at the bridge one day.

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

While all people here help each other, there are
times where an advanced degree of help may be needed.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or consumed
by grief, it is always best to seek professional help.

+Quote Post
LoveMyMickey
post Dec 10 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,071

Dear Tracy,

Thank you for sharing your two year angel-versary with us. That was a beautiful tribute to your Sir Thomas. Your love for him always shows through when you write about him and he knew you loved him and of course, still do.

Your memories of him will never fade away. I think when a person has other pets, like you do, to take care of, you're thinking about their care and somedays you seem to forget. I remember when we got Mickey, it helped with my terrible grief over Annie, but I never forgot the memories of her.

You are a good dad, Tracy. I know we all wish we could have done a few things differently, but over all we do the best we can with what we have to work with.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.....God Bless..

LoveMyMickey

--------------------
"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Dec 11 2012, 12:25 PM
Post #6

Thank you LS and LoveMyMickey

Tom taught me what unconditional love is all about. He was my child and my best friend. Even when I was cross with him (which I will always regret) he always shined through with that love.

I know that dealing with Theresa and Tang's issues and care takes up space in my head and heart, but still it hurts when I feel like I'm not connecting with Tom as much as I used to after he passed. Theresa and Tang are truly a gift from god. I just wish He would gift me with the means to care for them better. Thank you as always for the support.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
Gretta's Mom
post Dec 11 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,067

Hello Tom's Dad

Thank you for posting this wonderful tribute to Sir Thomas the amazing cat. Yes, other pets and life's activities expand to fill the physical space in our lives, but in our hearts, the piece thate belongs to our soul-mates is always both filled and empty at the same time. Other animals have other spaces in our hearts, each one with his or her own.

Your loving posts remind us of everything our soul-mates taught us and how they SO enriched our lives and our spirits. Human teachers could never teach us the lessons that "speechless" animals do. because they speak with and from their hearts.

Please keep letting us know how you and your heart are doing.

Gretta's mom

+Quote Post
Bobbie
post Dec 11 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,068

I am so sorry. Don't worry about the memories, the good ones last forever. Some of mine have lasted almost 40 years so far.

Love,
Trevor's mom, Bobbie

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Dec 12 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #9

Thank you Gretta's Mom and Bobbie for the kind words of support. It is appreciated. Tom was a huge part of my life for all too brief a time.

Speaking of older animal companion memories, one of these days I will need to write the story of an amazing Siamese boy cat named Chauncey who I had from 1977 - 1995. Alas, it has a bit of a sad ending. But they were a good 18 years. Take care.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LoveMyMickey
post Dec 18 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #10

Hi Tracy,

I would love to read your story about Chauncey, when you have the time to write it. You were blessed with 18 years, I'm sure you have a lot of happy memories....

LoveMyMickey

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Dec 18 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #11

Thank you LoveMyMickey

Chauncey was from a Fall/Winter litter of Siamese my parents used to breed twice a year. I didn't realize at the time they were basically running a cat version of a puppy mill. Getting them from the HS back when they didn't automatically spay/neuter (but that's another sad sorry story)

He was the runt and his mother would not feed him. So, I regularly fed him formula from an eye dropper. I guess we bonded on that level. He followed me everywhere and laid on my chest at night. He would catterwall so bad when I was gone it was said he sounded like a crying infant. He didn't come to live with me full time until 1987. He moved with me one more time in Dallas and came with me to Louisville, KY (via North Carolina, also another story) When my parents gave up the townhouse and left me to fend for myself with only a PT job to sustain me, he came with me to live in a dingy attic apartment in Indiana. When the lady's husband died and she sold the house, I managed to get an apartment back in Louisville, but they were not pet friendly. So, I snuck Milo (the tabby I inherited from the old lady) in and put Chauncey with a friend whom he knew and liked and also had other cats. I was not able to visit as much as I would like. One day she called to say that he had passed away and that she burried him in the back yard. I'd always intended to go back for him, but it was not to be. To this day, even though he always suffered from respiratory issues and was 18, I feel like he died of a broken heart because I was not there sad.gif

There is more, and I will write about it later. But that is my sad tale of the first cat who was truly "mine"

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LoveMyMickey
post Dec 18 2012, 01:26 PM
Post #12

Tracy, no matter how sad the story of you having to move around so much, you were truly devoted to Chauncey and surely he knew it. We can't always control our circumstances, especially when we are young......He did live a long life, I'm sure from your loving care. I know you wanted to be with him in the end, but I bet he is looking down from Heaven thinking what a great dad you were.........Write more when you can.....God Bless...

LoveMyMickey

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Mar 8 2013, 08:16 PM
Post #13

Well, Sir Thomas

Here we are on another 8th - 2 years and 3 months today you went to be with the angels. Not a day goes by I don't think about you little man. Nor the regret in not being there for you when your time came. That will never go away my dear Tommy Boy. Be good in heaven. Dad, Theresa and Tang miss you wub.gif I love you.

http://youtu.be/GiE6xTmARro

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LoveMyMickey
post Mar 9 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #14

Dear Tracy,

I love that song, a beautiful tribute to Sir Thomas. It brought tears to my eyes. I have been missing my Mickey so much this week and that song fit my feelings.

Don't ever forget, Sir Thomas knew and knows you love him with all your heart and soul. Take care.

Hugs,

LMM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Mar 10 2013, 05:20 AM
Post #15

Thank you LoveMyMickey

I have always liked that song. Sorry to hear you are blue missing Mickey. It's a cross we all have to bear. Hope you are doing well. Take care.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Mar 10 2013, 12:11 PM
Post #16

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing your and your beloved Sir Thomas' angel-versary with us, and this beautiful tribute in song to him and the eternal love you and your beloved Thomas share. Music is a universal language because it comes from the heart. As LoveMyMickey so comfortingly shared with you, I affirm her words of wisdom: Your beloved Sir Thomas knows you love him - - and love is eternal.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Theresa and little Tang kindly, my friend. Please know you and your precious companions are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you and your precious Theresa and little Tang are doing, and to sharing your treasured memories of your beloved Sir Thomas.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Mar 22 2013, 08:46 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,430

Hi Tom's Dad

Sending my love to you and up to Sir Thomas today. Hope you are keeping well.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Apr 9 2013, 07:33 AM
Post #18

Well, Sir Thomas

Yesterday was another "8th" Two years and four months to the day you crossed the Bridge to be with the angels. I bet you thought I forgot, but I didn't. Just with your old dad's busy schedule lately I could not find the time to post. I thought about you all day though my special man. I'm sorry you were alone when your time came sad.gif

Theresa, Tang and I really miss you (even though Tang only knew you in spirit when you guided him my way) Be good up there. I will always love you.

Dad.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Jun 8 2013, 04:55 PM
Post #19

Hello my precious Sir Thomas.

Today it is 2 1/2 years to the day you crossed over the Bridge to be with the Angels. Not a day goes by I do not think about you and hold you oh so close to my heart my special man. You taught me what unconditional love really was. You showed by your living and loving example that I could be a good cat dad. And, by extension, a better person. You are missed but never forgotten. Sometimes I wish I had more to remember you by than just your picture and clay paw print from that last night. But then, I remember that I do not need more. Because your living and loving spirit is with me always.

I have a favor to ask my Tommy Boy. Your little brother Tang is having problems with his ear more so that usual. Could you maybe ask God and the other beloved pets up there with you in heaven to send us some positive energy to help him heal? Sadly, your dad cannot afford to do any more than keep it cleaned out and watch over him as best I can. I could not bear to lose another fur child so close to your angelversary. Be good up there Tom, and know you are loved and missed by Theresa, Tang and me. Hugs and kisses wub.gif

Dad.

http://youtu.be/WVt1pD0sT0k

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jun 10 2013, 05:18 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,464

Tom's Dad, I thought of you on the 8th. It's strange how time goes by so quickly sometimes. Danny has been gone 1 1/2 years and I still think of him. These little fur angels are so amazing, with the love they give us. They leave paw prints on our hearts.

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:51 AM