Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Precious Noah
LoveMyMickey
post Sep 26 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #21

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,071

Dear moon_beam,

I am so happy to see that Noah is coming along in his recovery. I know you and he both will be happy to be together at home. Don't worry about posting in other places, you just take care of you and your precious little Noah.

My prayers continue for Noah's speedy recovery....God Bless you both.

(((HUGS)))

LoveMyMickey

--------------------
"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Sep 27 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #22

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, DannysMom, LoveMyMickey, Tracy, Forever, and all my dear L S friends, thank you soooooo very much for all your continued support and comfort during Noah's medical trials. It warms my heart so much to be here with you, my friends - - for I know each of you know first-hand what my precious Noah and I have been going through.

He is SOOOOOOOOO happy to be home. He slept with me all night and cuddled so close to me in bed after I got him some breakfast early this morning. He cannot get into a comfortable position yet to eat out of his bowl on the table, so I am putting his food on a saucer and holding it for him at chin level so that he doesn't have to bend down or crouch down to try to eat. His appetite is still quite fussy, which is understandable, so I also encourage him to eat by placing some food on the spatula that I use to get his canned food on the saucer. Dry food does not appeal to him right now, and that's okay - - but I have some dry food - - an eighth of a cup - - in a bowl on his table should he want to nibble. And he is drinking water, so that's a good indicator as well.

I called the vet office and spoke with a vet tech who spoke with Dr. Neel who said that this was good enough to take out his IV catheter. So we made the trip into the hospital to have the catheter removed - - for which he is EXTREMELY grateful. The catheter was completely wrapped so that he could not get ahold of it to pull it out - - which was also a concern of mine, Tracy. So, that is another step forward in his recovery. They took his temperature and it is still elevated, but Dr. Neel feels this is due more to post-surgical discomfort than infection, and I was given both an antibiotic and pain meds to give him beginning today. The antibiotics are more of a preventive nature than a treatment. And of course these are both pills. I tried to give him the antibiotic in a pill pocket - - and now I know that this is not going to work. So this is going to be interesting. He's never had to need medication before -- so this is a new experience for the both of us with him to discover what will work and what never to try again.

Right now he is stratched out on his window bench at the big door which is open and gated off so that we can enjoy the songs and sounds of the woodland residents. I also have the basement steps gated off - - which he noticed right away last night and was surveying it with a mischievous glint in his eye - - at which I told him emphatically that he needs to think otherwise. So now he sometimes goes and lays down on the carpet at the bottom of the steps and gazes up the stairs. I have the door at the top of the steps open so that he can see the light and shadows on the hallway walls that come in through the bedroom window that's opposite the basement stairway.

Neither Dr. Buckland nor Dr. Neel have a clue as to why his intestine twisted. I asked Dr. Neel yesterday specificially if it was strangulated or herniated and she said no - - that it was twisted just enough to cause a narrowing of his colon at that specific point. I don't know if this can happen again. That it has already happened is an indication that there is a possibility it could, so I will be keeping a close watch on him for any recurrences. I am sooooo grateful he did not need any resections done because the information I read online confirmed that survival with colon resections is greatly reduced. And I believe it is because he did not have to need this that he was able to be released home so quickly - - again for which I am very thankful.

It is almost time to give him his pain medication, so I will close for now - - wish me luck!!! And yes, DannysMom, I have a supply of NutriCal on hand and will be supplementing him with this. It may also help to stimulate his appetite. I don't know if I'll be able to come back in later today, but I will keep you posted on his progress. Words cannot adequately express to each of you how much I deeply and sincerely appreciate your comforting support and encouragement and genuine friendship. Please know each of you and your precious furkids and beloved companions are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Sep 27 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 6,946

moon_beam

I'm at work on lunch and it's the LONG Thursday, so I'll have to be brief. I am SO glad to hear Noah is home and has the cath out. I'm sure he feels much better about that. I'm happy that he seems to be rcovering and hope he is back to normal in no time.

~HUG~

Tracy

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LoveMyMickey
post Sep 27 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #24

Hi moon_beam,

I'm so happy Noah is home and recovering well. Looks like the vet would have given him liquid meds, especially the antibiotics.
Our vet finally gave Mickey liquid antibiotics after we told her he couldn't swallow or chew those big pills. If any other pills were small enough we would crush or break it up and put it in his food.

Moon_beam, I will continue to pray for Noah and you. You are a blessing to everyone on this board and we love you....I hope you and Noah have a blessed and cozy evening and night.

LoveMyMickey

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Sep 28 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #25

Forum Moderator

Hi, Angelinda, DannysMom, Forever, LoveMyMickey, Tracy, and friends, thank you so much for your always cherished friendsip and welcome comforting support during Noah's recovery.

My precious Noah is curled up on his lamb's wool cushion at the foot of the bed taking a peaceful nap as I'm writing to you. He is eating more on his own power now, - - still needing some assistance but not as much. He is showing me his tummy more - - his bare little tummy - - it is so sweet. The incision is looking good and the puffiness has greatly improved even from yesterday. And he is slowly being able to get into his "kitty cleaning" position to take more initiative with his personal care - - although he still needs some assistance. The pain medication yesterday afternoon eventually kicked in - - and my little boy was H U N G R Y BIG TIME!! He is now eating his dry food with gusto once again, and so today I am going to try to ease him back into his regular meal regimen. I am in the process of doing his laundry - - sheets and towels that have helped reduce his "embarassments" while his little body regains normal body functions. He slept with me most of the night and again cuddled so close to me after we went back to bed after I gave him some breakfast early this morning. How I love the feel of his sweet little body snuggled close to me, and the sound of his loving purr. I have the big door open and gated so that the songs and sounds of the woodland residents can be a lullaby for him as he sleeps peacefully.

For those of you who have feline companions, you know that to tell your companion not to jump after surgery is an exercise in futility - - and my precious Noah is no exception. Yesterday he literally wriggled his way into the bathroom through the smallest opening - - as I left it cracked open just a bit so that he could still see me - - and proceeded to jump up onto the commode and then the half wall that separates the commode from the sink vanity - - to keep me company while I was brushing my teeth. THEN he proceeds to jump down from the half wall to the carpeted floor - - which is higher than the commode - - and wriggle his little body back out the door. After I got my heart started again he looked at me with his beautiful green agae eyes as if to say "what??!! I'm not an invalid!!!" He is sooo precious.

I am finding that wrapping his pills in just enough pill pocket as a "lubricant" helps to ease its way down his throat. I then give the rest of the pill pocket to him as a treat, which helps to ease the fleeting "trauma" of med time. Probably by the time his meds are done we will have found the comfort zone of pill dispensing. I'm thankful he doesn't wrestle with me in the process - - it's just a new experience for him which - - along with this entire ordeal - - is yet another part of the journey that has taken him off guard.

I can't believe it has been a week since this journey began. And now as he continues in his recovery each day tears come to my eyes in deeper love for him, thankfulness that he is still physically with me, and the comfort of genuine friendship with each of you and everyone who reads this topic and lifts my precious Noah up in prayer. I am truly blessed with the privilege of your friendships.

It is almost time to give him his pain medication, so I will close for now. Once again, my dear friends, words cannot adequately begin to express to each of you how much I deeply and sincerely appreciate your comforting support and encouragement and genuine friendship. Please know each of you and your precious furkids and beloved companions are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you're doing. I will continue to let you know how my precious Noah is doing in his recovery.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Sep 28 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #26

Hi moon_beam

Thank you so much for the update. I'm glad to hear Noah is eating better and can handle more of his own "kitty cleaning" Oh, how well I know about trying to stop the jumping etc. The Amazing Flying Tang is the expert. I get that same look Noah gave you when I tell him "NO"

I'm glad he at least does not fight you on the meds like my little girl Tazmanian Devil wink.gif All of us here in the house of Ts are keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers. TTFN.

Tracy

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Sep 28 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 7,464

Dear moon_beam, I am so glad to hear that Noah is improving and eating his dry food now. How wonderful that you have found a good way to give him the pills and that he doesn't fight with you about it! He sure sounds like he is getting back to his old self, jumping and all. I know it is such a relief for you to see him doing so much better, and we are all so glad and relieved with you. smile.gif

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Sep 29 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #28

Forum Moderator

Hi, Angelinda, DannysMom, Forever, LoveMyMickey, Tracy, and friends. Thank you so much for your comfort and support while my precious Noah continues with his recovery.

I am happy to share with you that he appears to be doing well today. He is eating completely on his own now - - no need for encouragement or assistance - - definitely letting me know when his tummy is running on empty. A few moments ago he completed his "big top" act by getting on top of the fridge looking so proud of himself. This is his first "athletic feat" for the day, - - so I guess mom will just have to "get with the recovery program" Noah-style. He is now on his lamb's wool cushion at the foot of the bed settled down for a late afternoon nap looking very contented.

I gave him his last pain medication a few moments ago - - before his "fridge" act - - and I'm hoping this will be all he needs. I have antibiotics through all of next week to give him once a day. His incision continues to look okay as well.

Towels, sheets, and blankets continue to be keeping the laundry machines busy for my little boy. I'm wondering if the meds are causing some of the incontinence challenges, although it does appear to be slowing down today. If this continues into Monday I will need to call and let his doctor know what is happening. I do not want to be taking any chances with him.

Need to make a trek to the mailbox to get whatever has been delivered since Thursday and get the latest load of washing into the dryer.

Once again, dear friends, I thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers for my precious Noah's recovery, and for your cherished friendship and care and concern. Please know each of you and your precious furkids and beloved companions are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you're doing. I will continue to let you know how my precious Noah is doing in his recovery.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Sep 30 2012, 12:34 PM
Post #29

Hi moon_beam

So glad to hear Noah continues to improve. I'm thinking that as much as he may be pushing buttons with the arial acts, he also is trying to say "Look, mom. I'm doing so much better" Perhaps his way of letting you know he's going to be OK. Trying as I know from personal experience as those moments can be, there is always a glimmer of hope and joy in them too.

I hope you and Noah are enjoying a peacful Sunday.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Sep 30 2012, 05:34 PM
Post #30

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for your always welcome responses. I agree with you that his athletic prowess at this time is trying to show me that he's feeling so much better - - which is why I don't fuss at him. Of course my concern is that he could rupture his internal stitches, indeed acquire a hernia from stretching too much which would require immediate surgery, etc.. But I will not fuss at him - - I only want him to hear loving words from my mouth - - which come from my heart - - whatever happens.

For awhile this morning and early this afternoon he was acting a bit depressed which concerned me a little but also realized it could be because he was having some withdrawal from not having a pain pill today. So after I did the lunch dishes I picked him up in my arms, carried him to the bed with me, put a pillow over my legs and encouraged him to cuddle down on the pillow for awhile. He did - - he felt so comfortable that he took a nap and looked so contented. I have always enjoyed watching him sleep and breathe, and I must confess I find extra pleasure in watching him do this since almost losing him this past week. His challenges with incontinence also seem to be abating today as evidenced in his kitty latrines. I know he's a lot happier about this, too. He just has his antibiotic once a day now through this week. His incision is looking beter every day - - the surgeon did a wonderful job with his stitches -- looks very neat like quilting stitches. Dr. Buckland took extra care with my precious Noah, and I am very thankful for that. He has had his dinner - - which I think he was trying to set a new personal record in inhaling - - and is now curled up on his lamb's wool cushion at the foot of the bed taking a nap. It is so good seeing him doing so much better. The next major milestone in his recovery - - providing nothing happens during the next several days - - is getting his stitches out next Tuesday, 10/9.

I thank you, Tracy, and each of our L S friends, for your continued thoughts and prayers for my precious Noah's recovery, and for your cherished friendship and care and concern. Tracy, please know you and your precious furkids are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you're doing - - and each of our L S friends. I will continue to let you know how my precious Noah is doing in his recovery.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Sep 30 2012, 05:55 PM
Post #31

Hi moon_beam

Yes, I can see why you would be concerned Noah could "overdo" it. Let us hope this is not the case. I'm sure you are gently reminding him the need to take it a bit easy for now. I'm glad he continues to improve. We are still keeping you and him in our thoughts.

Tracy

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LoveMyMickey
post Sep 30 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #32

Dear moon_beam,

I too, am so happy that Noah is still improving. I was really scared when I read your first post here and soooooo relieved that he is healing. You both are in my thoughts and prayers every day....God Bless..

Okay Noah, no training for the olympics, okay? smile.gif

LoveMyMickey

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Oct 1 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #33

Forum Moderator

Hi, LoveMyMickey, thank you so much for your always welcome responses, and for your cherished friendship and comforting thoughts and prayers for my precious Noah during his medical crisis and continued recovery.

I called the vet office this morning to leave a message for Drs. Buckland and Neel letting them know how my precious boy is doing - - which is very well. What a blessed difference between this morning and this time last week when he was in the hospital undergoing the Barium X-ray which through the course of the test throughout the day confirmed that something was very wrong. The receptionist who took my message said she would relay the information to both doctors and said she was very glad to know that Noah is doing well.

He continues to take his antibiotics like a trooper - - not thrilled with "pill down the throat" but grateful for the remainder of the pill pocket as a treat to help soothe the nerves from the ordeal. He is such a sweet natured little fellow - - I am so blessed to share his earthly journey.

Once again, I thank you, LoveMyMickey, and each of our L S friends, for your continued thoughts and prayers for my precious Noah's recovery, and for your cherished friendship and care and concern. Please know you and your many visitors who come to you for a safe harbor for refreshment are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you're doing - - and each of our L S friends. I will continue to let you know how my precious Noah is doing in his recovery.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Oct 1 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #34

Hi moon_beam

I am so happy to hear that your precious Noah continues his recovery process. I too was scared when I saw your post for the first time. I'm glad it turned out not to be as serious as once thought. Let us hope he gives the arial act a rest for a while. All our thoughts are with you both.

Tracy.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Oct 1 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #35

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for your continued encouragement and support for my precious Noah during his recovery. My heart soars with joy having his sweet precious physical presence here with me - - to the sweet energy he brings to our home. A twisted intestine is a new experience for me as a furchild caregiver - - as well as for my precious Noah - - and I hope and pray he will never have this experience again. As I watched him a week ago Sunday, 9/23, I was so very worried that he could end up with a perforated intestine - - which is usually instant death. A part of me wanted to take him to the ER vet - - which is an hour's drive away - - but I did not want to subject him to the stress knowing that he would probably undergo immediate surgery - - only to have to transfer him to his regular veterinary practice Monday morning when the ER clinic closed for continued intensive care. So instead of subjecting him to that trauma I prayed that we could make it through until the Monday morning, 9/24, when he would be seen by his regular veterinary providers and receive the intensive care he needed. It was very much a "touch and go" situation for him - - and I thank you, Tracy, and all of our L S friends, who have been keeping my precious Noah in your thoughts and prayers for his survival and recovery. It truly means very much to me - - more than words can begin to say.

Tracy, please know you and your precious furkids are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you're doing - - and each of our L S friends. I will continue to let you know how my precious Noah is doing in his recovery.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Oct 1 2012, 04:03 PM
Post #36

moon_beam

I'm happy that Noah continues on his upward arc toward recovery. I can only imagine how scared you were for him. As we were all scared for you and him. I'm so glad that our prayers were answered. We in the house of Ts will continue to keep you both in our thoughts.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Oct 1 2012, 11:26 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 7,510

Moon_beam, I'm just now catching up on everything you and brave Mr. Noah have been going through. I'm so glad it was just a twisting of the intestine, and that it was resolved without a resection. (It's called intestinal volvulus or torsion, in some cases.) I'm so very happy to read that you have Noah at home, and that his recovery is progressing well. I know all too well how scary it is to have one of our loved little ones ill.

I'm not sure how many more days you have left of the antibiotic, but something that has worked well for me in the past is using baby food. I still cover the pill in a thin layer of Pill Pocket, but then I coat the whole thing in either chicken or turkey baby food. The Pill Pocket is usually enough to hide the taste of the pill within, and the baby food is irresistible to most cats I've met. Fortunately, Lance loves Pill Pockets and eats his daily pill with gusto, but I used this to get Pippin to take his antibiotics.

I look forward to reading more updates on how Noah's doing, and again - so happy to hear some good news!

--------------------

When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that, in truth, you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Oct 2 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #38

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy and Kel, thank you so much for your most welcome continued thoughts and prayers for my precious Noah's continued recovery - - and to all our L S friends.

Each day I see my precious Noah getting stronger, and my heart soars with joy. This time last week he was being prepped for surgery the outcome of which was tenuous at best - - what a WONDERFUL difference a week can make. This time last week my eyes were swollen from tears of a fear filled breaking heart. Today when I reflect on the events as they have evolved my tears are of joy and thankfulness - - for having my precious Noah still physically with me and equally for the blessing of cherished friendships here on this forum. I am truly blessed, and I thank God for His infinite mercy.

Noah does not like me out of his sight for very long, particularly when I am in the bathroom with the door closed so that he cannot jump up on the commode to his window perch. He does enough jumping up onto the top of the fridge - - I think in part because the coolness of the top of the fridge may feel good to his tummy - - in addition to his defiance to NOT jump while his tummy heals. Thank you, kel, for your suggestion about adding baby food to the process of "pill" time. I had thought of that but did not have a chance to go shopping before he came home - - so I don't have any baby food on hand at the moment. So far the pill pocket method has been working - - thank goodness. I have about 3 or 4 pills left in his med arsenal of antibiotics, and thankfully they only need to be given once a day. Including today there are 7 more days to go until the stitches are removed.

Once again, I thank you, Tracy and kel, and each of our L S friends, for your continued thoughts and prayers for my precious Noah's recovery, and for your cherished friendship and care and concern. I will continue to let you know how my precious Noah is doing in his recovery.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Oct 3 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #39

Hi moon_beam

Always glad to hear that Noah is doing better. I'm chuckling at him not wanting you out of sight, and especially not wanting the bathroom door closed. Theresa and Tang (as was Tom) are like that too. Since it's just me and the litter boxes are in there, I don't even bother any more. Sometimes they will both come in there for no particular reason - as if a family meeting had been called.

It's good that Noah is doing OK with the pill pockets and that the pills are almost done. Does he need any more meds going forward? Let us know how your little man is doing.

Tracy

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Oct 3 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #40

Forum Moderator

Dear Lightning Strike friends, once again I wish to thank each of you for your continued thoughts and prayers for my precious Noah in his continued recovery.

My precious boy continues to do well. This time last week I busy preparing for him to come home from the hospital - - much to my surprise. I did not expect they would release him so early until I got to the hospital to visit with him, and I overheard Dr. Neel and his nurse speaking to one another outside the waiting room door before Dr. Neel came in to speak with me about his progress. What a difference a week makes!!

I am so proud of him - - this morning he took his daily dose of antibiotic wrapped in a pill pocket all by himself - - didn't have to do the "open mouth drop in pill" routine with him. He is such a sweet little boy - - I am soooooo proud of him. Early this morning a feline visitor came up to the big window door and Noah was becoming rather agitated as he does when this happens, so I got up and stood at the window. When the visitor saw me he / she scampered off - - which was my intention as I did not want Noah becoming upset and stressing his body which would have an adverse effect on his tummy. Once the visitor was out of sight he settled down. As I'm writing to you he is perched on his big window seat intently watching the woodland critters. The temperatures are warmed up and the sun is shining so the big door is opened and gated off so that he can enjoy the songs and sounds of the woodland residents.

Tomorrow I will need to make a grocery run. I really wanted to do this last week before Noah came home - - thinking I had a couple of days to plan for his release from hospital. I am a bit concerned about leaving him even for a couple of hours right now as he still gets very upset when he doesn't see me. The first few days when he got home he sometimes actually cried in his sleep - - I would go over to him and gently whisper in his ear that he's home and I'm here with him, and he would stop crying. I am soooo thankful that I am able to be home with him 24 / 7. In previous years when I had to go to work the only good thing about having to leave my precious companions when they were recuperating from an illness or surgery was that they had their housemates to look after them until I was able to get back home. My precious Noah only has me now - - and until now he has ALWAYS been the healthy one. I am sooooo glad I can be home with him now when he needs me.

His GI tract is now working normally as evidenced in his kitty latrines, which I know is as much a relief to him as it is for me.

Once again, I thank each of you, my friends, for your continued thoughts and prayers for my precious Noah's recovery, and for your cherished friendship and care and concern. I will continue to let you know how my precious Noah is doing in his recovery.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:07 PM