Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies
> My Sweet Princess Theresa
Tom's Dad
post May 28 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,946

Dear LS friends,

It is with a heavy heart and deep sadness that I must tell you I had to help my baby girl Theresa transition to the Rainbow Bridge to be with Angel Tom. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make. But Dr. Mills assured me I was doing the right thing. For those of you that may not have read about her illness, it is here:

http://lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7409 and her journey with us here: http://lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6896

Dr. Mills said the tumor had pretty much consumed her entire tongue, that it would continue to grow and she would never get better or even stabilize. We had our final goodbyes in the room while Dr. Mills went to get what was needed. She did something that she had not done in weeks. She reached up with both paws to my chest to "hug" me and touch my nose. In her eyes I could see she was saying "It's OK daddy, I know it's my time" I told her she was going to be with Angel Tom now. Now she is Angel Theresa.

Se went peacefully and gently on the thick fleece blanket they provided. I have cried, but also tried to keep it together for her sake. The uncontrollable sobbing will come later I'm sure sad.gif They will call me when her ashes are ready. I never got to do that for Tom or properly say goodbye to him.

I made a video of her just under 2 years ago enjoying the sunshine on the balcony. This is how I want to remember her. Here is the link because I unfortunately I don't know how to embed it.

https://youtu.be/QZglV7hanvM

Warm summer sun,
Shine kindly here,
Warm southern wind,
Blow softly here.
Green sod above,
Lie light, lie light.
Good night, dear heart,
Good night, good night.

Mark Twain at his daughter's funeral. I thought it appropriate for my baby girl.

Before the appointment she went out to the balcony all on her own and enjoyed the sunbeams for several minutes one last time. I'm sorry if this post seems a bit "ham handed" but I'm still in shock, and this is the first time I have ever had to make this kind of decision. Thank you all for reading.

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
MannaPaws
post May 29 2016, 05:31 PM
Post #2

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 8,843

Hello Tom’s Dad,

I just read all of the posts on here, and wanted to address what you said about not being able to cry all day, and trying to figure out why you didn’t cry for Theresa as you did for Tom. You said you felt it was the right thing to do to have Theresa euthanized, but that a part of you feels like you ordered her execution. I do think you’re processing all your thoughts and feelings, and that is all normal and healthy, including even feeling guilt and wondering if you were a bad dad to her. Not being able to sleep is all part of the depression you’re feeling as well, and the inability to cry is also part and parcel of some guilt you "may be feeling.

Since you are processing your feelings, trying to determine exactly what is going on, perhaps you may want to try this. Get a piece of paper, or use your computer, and make 2 columns. In one column, write down the reasons you think you should have held on to Theresa and, in the other column, list the reasons you felt you wanted her to be euthanized. Then compare the 2 columns. In another post, you mentioned you’re not one for journaling, but this is just a list to make in order to narrow down exactly why you’re feeling the way you are this time around.

Here’s one more thing to consider before you make that list. Theresa was suffering greatly from the tumor in her mouth, and it was spreading and causing her inordinate pain, difficulty eating and cleaning herself. Seeing her go through this, and knowing she wouldn’t get better and actually get much worse as time went by, you did a very loving thing. You spared her from further pain, as well as anxiety and confusion as to what was happening to her. Unlike humans, our precious fur companions don’t understand why they are suffering, and that can be all the more traumatic for them.

I so love your eulogy by Captain Kirk to Spock, that you carried over to Theresa’s: “Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels....hers was the most...human.” The Wrath of Khan was one of my favorites, although I love all the Star Trek movies, series and beyond.

One more thing I’d like to add before logging off is something you may already know, but it’s good to remind oneself of, especially after such a traumatic event such as losing your precious Theresa. Pamper, pamper and then pamper yourself some more. Curl up with Tang with one of your favorite movies tonight or tomorrow, and get out the snacks for both you and for your precious boy. Anything else you can think of to do that will make you and Tang happy, do so.

Other than that, I want to wish you a peaceful evening, and possibly experience more visitations from Theresa, such as when the box with the yarn fell down in your closet, and you heard high-pitched meows. And who knows, maybe Tom will be accompanying her, soon, to let you know that they are experiencing the time of their lives on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Blessings,
MannaPaws
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Tom's Dad   My Sweet Princess Theresa   May 28 2016, 10:33 AM
- - moon_beam   My dear friend, Tracy, please permit me to offer y...   May 28 2016, 12:28 PM
- - MannaPaws   Dear Tom’s Dad (Tracy), I want to offer you my ...   May 28 2016, 02:12 PM
- - LittleGirl'sMommy   Dear Tom and Theresa's Dad, So very sorry to ...   May 28 2016, 03:07 PM
|- - Tom's Dad   QUOTE (LittleGirl'sMommy @ May 28 2016, 0...   May 28 2016, 05:06 PM
- - Tom's Dad   moon_beam and MannaPaws: I thank you both for you...   May 28 2016, 03:26 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so very much for sharing with...   May 29 2016, 09:56 AM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello moon_beam. Thank you for checking in on us ...   May 29 2016, 11:25 AM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   May 29 2016, 12:32 PM
- - Tom's Dad   Hi moon_beam. Thanks for checking on us again. So...   May 29 2016, 02:22 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thought I would check in one more time ...   May 29 2016, 02:48 PM
- - Tom's Dad   Thank you moon_beam for your kind words of support...   May 29 2016, 04:15 PM
- - MannaPaws   Hello Tom’s Dad, I just read all of the posts o...   May 29 2016, 05:31 PM
|- - Tom's Dad   QUOTE (MannaPaws @ May 29 2016, 06:31 PM)...   May 31 2016, 07:24 AM
- - LoveMyMickey   Hi Tracy, I read here last night, but I just coul...   May 29 2016, 05:59 PM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello LMM. Thank you for your heartfelt words of ...   May 29 2016, 06:13 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   May 30 2016, 10:30 AM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello moon_beam. Thank you for your kind and insi...   May 30 2016, 03:31 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   May 31 2016, 11:50 AM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello moon_beam. Thank you so much for your kind ...   May 31 2016, 12:10 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   Jun 1 2016, 10:34 AM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello moon_beam. Thanks for the kind words as alw...   Jun 1 2016, 10:56 AM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   Jun 2 2016, 01:12 PM
- - Tom's Dad   Hi moon_beam. Thank you, as always for your heart...   Jun 2 2016, 01:17 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   Jun 3 2016, 10:17 AM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello moon_beam Thank you, as always, for your ki...   Jun 3 2016, 10:39 AM
- - Tom's Dad   It's been one week today since you had to cros...   Jun 4 2016, 09:57 AM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us y...   Jun 4 2016, 11:40 AM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello moon_beam. I had a dream during my nap toda...   Jun 4 2016, 03:50 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   Jun 5 2016, 11:46 AM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello moon_beam. Thank you for your comforting an...   Jun 5 2016, 03:16 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   Jun 6 2016, 10:13 AM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello moon_beam. Thank you, as always for your ki...   Jun 6 2016, 11:10 AM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   Jun 7 2016, 12:13 PM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello moon_beam. Thank you for your comforting wo...   Jun 7 2016, 12:27 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   Jun 8 2016, 11:42 AM
- - Tom's Dad   Well, it's been 2 weeks today since I had to s...   Jun 11 2016, 10:53 AM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   Jun 11 2016, 12:21 PM
- - Tom's Dad   I've been thinking about that fateful day when...   Jun 14 2016, 07:07 AM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   Jun 14 2016, 12:06 PM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello moon_beam. Thank you for the kind words and...   Jun 14 2016, 12:17 PM
- - LoveMyMickey   Hi Tracy....I just wanted to let you know what I f...   Jun 14 2016, 05:00 PM
- - Tom's Dad   Hi LMM Thank you for this. It really makes me fee...   Jun 14 2016, 06:01 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   Jun 15 2016, 01:21 PM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello my precious little girl. It's been 4 we...   Jun 25 2016, 01:40 PM
|- - MannaPaws   Hello Tom's Dad, It's been a while since ...   Jul 4 2016, 02:11 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us y...   Jun 26 2016, 09:46 AM
- - Tom's Dad   Thank you for your kind words moon_beam. It's ...   Jun 28 2016, 05:49 PM
- - moon_beam   Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us h...   Jun 29 2016, 09:33 AM
- - Tom's Dad   Hello MannaPaws I'm sorry to hear you were no...   Jul 4 2016, 04:32 PM
2 Pages V   1 2 >

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:20 PM