IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome To Our New Members!, Post your introductions here....
LS Support
post Jun 29 2003, 03:35 PM
Post #1

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

hi there, glad you could make it happy.gif i am happy to provide this new forum for members of
the L-S old forums ( http://lightning-strike.com/forums/ )as well. as those working their way from our battle-torn alt.support.grief.pet-loss
newsgroup on USENET. perhaps we all can use this as a troll-free resource as i will be ruthless
on off-topic postings and finally have the tools to squash any problems cool.gif

this would be a great forum to introduce yourselves, if you want. i will kick it off for y'all.

my name is marcdavid, people call me MD (i am not a doctor or vet, a rumour that has
been around ever since my pet-loss work has). i started the lightning-strike site back in '96
as a tribute to my very dear friend Tribble, who passed quickly from a thrombotic clot. it was
a nightmarish scene at the end, my wife (now ex) was a new vet and we tried to save him
but he died in my arms. i have not had a pet since, not my own...we did have 7 cats when i was
married though. to be truthful, i am kinda burnt out on cats and hope to get a dog one day,
a jack russell terrier is my hopeful. oh, right now we do have fish. and a snail. and cuz i left
the window open, about 100 flies dry.gif

im a 40yo freelance writer in columbus ohio and have 2 great kids ages 6 and 3. they keep me
on the run constantly. so although i will visit here several times a day, i may not post as much
as the rest of you but rest assured i will be reading and wishing you well during these hard times
in your life.

over the summer, i hope to completely redesign lightning-strike.com. i also have a very nice
chat room up and running now if anyone has the interest to participate. it has not been released
publicly yet, so let me know and i can get it readied.

welcome again, i hope you find the support you need here smile.gif

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

While all people here help each other, there are
times where an advanced degree of help may be needed.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or consumed
by grief, it is always best to seek professional help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
helen_davies_00
post Jul 2 2003, 05:40 AM
Post #2

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7

Thank you MD for setting up this new site and for your compassion for suffering humans. As you say the alt.support.grief.pet-loss newsgroup on USENET is now out of order regretably and I hope people find this site. I was happy posting there because that group helped me get over the loss of my last cat (of 3) who was put to sleep at age 19 in Feb 2002. I now want to help others because I fully understand the searing and often unexpected pain people feel. Whilst it is helpful to know what options for euthansia are available before your pet goes downhill, nothing, absolutely nothing can prepare you for the grief afterwards which is why support and understanding is so important.

After nursing my 3 old dears from kittenhood to old age, I am catless for now, but it will be only for a short while I'm sure. I adore all animals and do all I can to help campaigns to stamp out animal cruelty, factory farming for food here in the west, bear bile farming in China, and all the other hidious things people do to them these days. I love animals so much I can't eat them now, though I used to like meat, cheese, milk, and eggs - sigh, and thank goodness for soya products!

I hope I can help others just a little bit. So, hello to everyone who finds this site, and best wishes from Helen (in the UK)

+Quote Post
DJ - Edgar and J...
post Jul 3 2003, 01:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14

MD - if you knew, truly KNEW, how your site has kept me sane.... I can't even put into words the gratitude I feel. I'm usually not at a loss for words but without this site my heart would have broken completely.

--------------------
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Jul 3 2003, 02:14 PM
Post #4

Forum Administrator

im glad to hear that everyone. when i started this site back in 96, there were very few if any sites
dedicated to pet-loss. ed over at petloss.com, which was a personal website at the time run
by him, and the rainbow bridge, a site that disappeared but soon many others popped up. with
the newsgroup so ravaged, this makes a great place for us to get together smile.gif

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

+Quote Post
Saki & Freyj...
post Jul 3 2003, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5

Hi, Everyone,

I'm Jennifer. I am relatively new out here -- found the old forum about a month ago when my dog Freyja died, then two weeks later my cat Saki died.

Seriously, MD. THANK YOU. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! To have this space is such a blessing and you must be an angel to have blessed so many lives...

I am 36 (I think-- stopped counting at 22, but I was born in 1967). I teach sociology at a university. Being the academic type, I am a lot more comfortable with writing than talking... I think my posts are always waaay too long (standard long winded professor...)

I've been posting pretty much everyday since I found the site. Before that I'd never posted anywhere. I hope some day NOT to post EVERY day on this site, but it has helped me so much, the people out here have helped me so much, that I feel like I will probably always have somewhat of a presence out here... Reading posts, even the ones I don't respond to has been helpful to me. And despite the fact that I hate change, the new forum does have some benefits the old one lacked...

I am married to Tim and have been since 1989. We don't have/want kids -- our babies were Freyja the American Eskimo Dog, Saki, the Siamese Cat and Electra the Russian Blue cat. Electra survives at 15 with FIV.
We got Freyja and Electra in 1988 so we effectively started our family before we were married. wink.gif I tease, but in many ways, this makes the loss even harder.

I think "Tribble" is one of the best cat names I've ever heard.

Anyway, thank you so much for all your hard work MD. You really are an angel...

Love,
Jennifer (Saki & Freyja's Mom)

+Quote Post
SJ J & S
post Jul 6 2003, 06:23 AM
Post #6

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Hello
My name is Susan Jones and I live in England, I'm 41 years old childless and now dogless. I've been married 21 years next week I've put a stone in weight on since December and am an alcoholic, only kidding, but I have drank excessively since Jude died.
Other than a dog called Suzie we had no pets as children, she was only with us for about a month as we discovered that she didn’t like children, I was about 5 or 6 yrs old.
I remember asking mum for a horse and a monkey for a pet but never a dog or cat, I think I new the answer would be no with six kids I think a pet as well would have driven her mad.
Ians family had a cat called Kiki who just disappeared one day and was never seen again, she was old and her body was never found despite searching the streets to see if shed been run over.
We got a cat, Amber when we first got married she was adorable but the cat next door, who was rescued from the wild, picked on her a lot as she treated our garden as her territory, so eventually she was given to a couple on a farm to hunt down mice, on strict instructions that if it didn’t work out between them, they bring her back to me.
Then came Jude and Sadie two loving dogs that rescued me. I think you know about them.
The birds started out as one Gloucester canary then another to keep him company then the aviary because it wasn’t fair to keep them in a small cage and they kept pooping on my furniture. Hazel was lovely and would fly down and land on the side of my plate when we ate and she always went back in the cage to poop at dinner time.
Then came Ringo the rabbit he was quite a character, if we locked him in his hutch he would cling to the wire and shake it so in the end he had the run of the shed.
I tried to make him into a house rabbit but if I bought him into the house he always hoped straight back out.
There formed my little farm, as people used to say and when the kids were visiting it was never to see Sue and Ian but Jude, Sadie or Ringo.
I work with Ian as his PA believe it or not when I look at my typing sometimes here, but my brain runs way ahead of my fingers when I'm talking on this forum.
Thank god we did have our own business as it enabled me to be with Jude so much those last few months, and if we were busy I just took her in with me. Truth be known if id worked for someone else id probably have left.
Well that’s pretty much me and my life in a nutshell.
What did people do for support before computers? Thank you Marcdavid.

--------------------
Jude & Sadie, too well loved to be forgotten

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Jul 6 2003, 06:51 PM
Post #7

Forum Administrator

What did people do for support before computers?

they actually talked face to face wink.gif

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

+Quote Post
kdh
post Jul 9 2003, 02:31 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3

Hi,
My name is Karla, I'm 37 years old , and I too am from Columbus, Ohio (home of the National Championship Buckeyes). I started on the old web-site back in January when I lost the love of my life"Sparky". I got him when I first moved out on my own and 17 years later he died of liver cancer on January 27, 2003. I can't say how hard its been for me and the rest of my family. Almost 6 months of not having him around and I can still barely breath . I own my own mortgage company in Upper Arlington, and love to work out at the local gym. My friends and family have been wonderful thru this whole ordeal. My mother said she would always pray to God asking him not to take Sparky away from me, because she knew how much of a bond we had together. I live with the other love of my life, and we have been together for 18 years and are child-less. Thank God for this web-site, I couldn't tell you how often I would read over other postings and felt like I wasn't alone. If I only had a dollar for every time I would cry reading other postings, knowing how much we all miss our furbaby's. I'd really like to see some kind of real support here in columbus Ohio that really had a hands on approach like this site. Maybe something you could do MD since your here too laugh.gif Thank you again for this forum!

--------------------
My Sparky,
None shall part us from each other, one in life and death are we.

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Jul 10 2003, 03:23 AM
Post #9

Forum Administrator

i live in UA too happy.gif in the 'slums' tho across from arlington cafe. central ohio actually
has a fairly decent pet loss support community, at least it used to with OSU there.

small world.

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

+Quote Post
Saki & Freyj...
post Jul 16 2003, 05:50 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5

Hey, MD,

This has been bugging me since I found the site: why is it called "lightning strike" ?

--Jennifer

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Jul 16 2003, 09:25 PM
Post #11

Forum Administrator

well according to the main page...

It is called Lightning Strike because we hope it provides "lightning-fast" assistance and support for the grieving owners of dead, dying, sick and missing animals that walk, crawl, fly, hop, and swim our great earth.

but to be honest, not having much web design skills back then, nor many graphics, i looked through my
small local horde and saw the lightning graphic...then everything just fell into place i guess rolleyes.gif

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

+Quote Post
Alice
post Jul 19 2003, 09:05 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 33

Hi MarcDavid,

I am so glad I found this forum. Pet loss, whether from death or giving up the pet, is devestating. I have added this to my favorite websites and will be back often. Thank you for being hee.

+Quote Post
Jen
post Jul 23 2003, 09:26 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 35

Where to begin? I am new to the site, and found it by searching for some comfort after a very difficult couple of days. I adopted a scrawny little tortishell cat from my vet when I was living in Oklahoma. She had been abused and dumped on his lawn. She was so cute, I just had to bring her home. After 2 weeks of searching for a name, I settled on Toonces (the driving cat from Sat Night Live). I'm not sure if she could actually drive, but the name seemed to fit. She kept me company when I moved to Oklahoma, so far from my home of Upper Arlington OH. I moved back home to Columbus in 1994, and my 2 cats came with me. I met and married a wonderful man, who also grew to love my cats. This past Saturday, we were all in the backyard, Toonces rolling on the patio like she always does. I didn't know that would be the last time I'd see her like that. Sunday afternoon she suddenly could not stand and appeared to be blind. We thought maybe she'd had a stroke. I held her most of the night, and about 1am Monday, she died in my arms. The vet said it was probably a heart problem, and she would have had no symptoms until it was too late. I just can't belive she's gone, she was only 10.
I find myself making sure the knife I just used to butter my toast is rinsed off, so she won't lick it. I look for her on our picnic table in the morning sun. My husband and I haven't told Elizabeth, our 3 year old daughter, yet because I can't even think about Toonces without sobbing. I thought we should wait until Elizabeth asks where Toonces is, or I can talk to her without crying.
Any suggestions on how to discuss this with a child so young? Thanks for listening to my story about my little cat. And thanks for this great website.

+Quote Post
SJ J & S
post Jul 24 2003, 04:20 PM
Post #14

Hi Jen I'm so sorry to hear about Toonces All of us here have lost our beloved pets one way or another and it’s a painful time, we all agree on one thing and that’s doing little things like making photo albums and little boxes with memorise in help us to heal a little at a time.
Include Elizabeth in your activities and be honest with her when she asks
If you go to the top of this page and click Lightning strike.com support forums, then on the new page click Death and Dying support youll be taken to a new page where there is advise for Grief Management In Children you may find this of some help
http://lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php?act=SF&f=4
If you click on the address above it should take you straight there
There is also a page for Pet Loss and Grieving Aid Stories, which has a bedtime story about Rainbow Bridge for children in it.
As I'm sure you’ve seen we all cope in different ways with our losses, put all of us agreethat posting here has helped enormously just remember that crying helps with the healing.
I'm sorry I didn’t answer you earlier but my computer at work keeps crashing, blasted things.
I lost my dog Sadie in much the same way she kind of crashed to the floor about 3 in the morning and by 9am she took her last breath, that was 7 months ago, a lot of tears, sleepless nights and lots of ‘talking’ on this forum and of course with my husband has got me through the toughest time of my life and I hope it will you too.
Love Sue

--------------------

+Quote Post
Allyson
post Aug 1 2003, 04:39 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 47

Hello fellow animal lovers, my name is Allyson. I am so thankful to find a website like this in existence. It helps to know others out there are feeling the same as me and that I'm not alone when it comes to grieving for the loss of a departed pet. Most people I encounter feel it's silly to grieve so badly for an animal, this makes it all even worse than it already is. So thank you MD for providing this site, as well as the rest of the members who post here.

with love,
Allyson

+Quote Post
Angeldog Brandi
post Nov 19 2003, 03:19 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 161

Hello,

My name is Martin Berry. My wife Dee and I are very happy and releived to have found this site. On November 14 at 11 past 5pm (est) we lost our Brandi to kidney failure...She was 14. The lost has found us in total diseray and the tears just keep coming with seemingly no end in site...the pain is almost more than Dee and I can bare. We received the news from our vet that Monday that she would not live longer than the next two weeks. I can't understand the complexity of this. In one minute she, as best she could, would play with her little brother Brutus and then, like that, she's gone. You try to prepare for this but its all futile in attempt. We were told that she was in the last stages before things would get really bad, losing the ability to eat, loss of bodily functions, and pain that we would not be able to endure. The thought of that last "Car Ride" brought me to the inability to come to grips with the fact of what had to be done. I told Dee that I felt like I was taking on the role of God...to make the decision to end her life; praying the whole time that God would just take her. Why would he not do this? Why, oh why would he do this? They are our children...I can not understand.
As we made our way to that room down the hall, I felt as though I was in a dream. I could wake up at anytime and this would not be happening. I love my wife enough to know that she was feeling the same way. I layed out her favorite blanket all the while I seemed to have left my body and was watching this from across the room...I guess I detatched myself this nighmare. Dr. Lee came in the room; I saw the needle...this wasn't happening, was it? We gathered around her holding her sick body...tears ran like a river. The last thing I remember was that look. The look as if to say why is this happening. I don't want to go; there is so much I'll miss with you. As the needle pierced her skin and the shring went empty...she was gone."Dr Lee" I said "No, can we just bring her back?!" "I want to change my mind sir, I don't want to do this!" There's no going back...it is finished. She is layed to rest under a group of Dogwood trees at my parents. This is where she spent most of her youth running and playing when youth was on her side. Dee placed chimes at the head so that when she would run by we would always be able to her her presents.

Little Brutus...She was all he ever knew. He is taking this harder than we ever would have expected. He will not eat nor play and it is breaking our hearts to see him in such pain. We were told that he would cope a lot better than we would, well that statement comes from folks that just don't understand. I, as well as Dee, fear for the worse for Bruty before things get better...God, oh God I hope that you can put your angels around my family to help in this pain. It will take a long time for this whole in our hearts to mend. I hope to see our Brandi on the other side of the rainbow one day and I know that death will come to our Brutyboy too and that is killing us to know that it will come around again...we'll just keep looking towards the rainbow.

Forgive me for this long entry, we just wanted to share our pain with people that can know what we are going through. Thank you.

+Quote Post
SJ J & S
post Nov 19 2003, 04:37 PM
Post #17

Hello Martin and Dee,

It breaks my heart every time I read the stories like yours, we feel so lost and helpless, we cant understand why we had to do it or how we did it.

You weren’t playing God, you loved Brandi and therefore you were the only ones that could make the decision, I know your having doubts now, but at the time it was your heart that decided out of love for Brandi, now its your head that’s working too hard to make sense of it all.

Its taken me a long time and lots of painful thoughts and feelings until finally all I could do was to forgive myself, some would say that I had nothing to forgive but it’s the only way that I can accept the past and move on.

I hope the following will help with understanding what is going on with little Brutus its from one of the topics at the top of the Death and Dying page

DO PETS GRIEVE?

What many people find hard to believe is that animals can form very firm attachments with each other. Even pets that outwardly seem to barely get along will exhibit intense stress reactions when separated. In fact, grieving pets can show many symptoms identical to those experienced by the bereaved pet owner. The surviving pet(s) may become restless, anxious and depressed. There may also be much sighing, along with sleep and eating disturbances. Often, grieving pets will search for their dead companions and crave more attention from their owners.

How can an owner help the grieving pet?

By following the following recommendations:

1. Keep the surviving pet(s) routines as normal as possible.

2. Try not to unintentionally reinforce the behaviour changes.
- if the pet's appetite is picky, don't keep changing the food. All that does is create a more finicky pet.
- don't overdo the attention given to the pet(s) as it can lead to separation anxiety.

3. Allow the surviving animals to work out the new dominance hierarchy themselves.
- there may be scuffles and fights as the animals work out the new pecking order (dogs mostly)

4. Don't get a new pet to help the grieving pet(s) unless the owner is ready.
- will backfire unless the owner is emotionally ready for a new pet.
- people still grieving won't have the energy for it.

Should the owner let the surviving animals see and smell their dead companion?
There is no evidence that doing so will help the surviving pet(s), but some people claim that it does.
Usually, all it accomplishes is to make the owner feel better. Therefore, if the owner wants to have the surviving pets "say good-bye," then it should be allowed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
beth4275
post Nov 25 2003, 12:55 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 86

Dee and Martin,

First let me off you my condolences on your loss. What you wrote brought back some memories of my own and now I find I am sitting here in tears both for your loss and my own. Two months ago I lived what you just went through. I still remember that last car ride and I too told the vet I changed my mind. My Snoops was diagnosed with a brain tumor and I lived through many months wondering what would happen. The thing is like your little one, when the end came it came quickly. I remember feeling like I was playing god ... at one point I even commented that I felt like an executioner. However, I have come to the realization (after many hours of tears and tearing myself apart) that the decision on whether he was staying or going had already been made ... I did not make that decision. The only decision I made was the when and how. I chose to make sure he didn't suffer, wasn't scared, and wasn't alone. I made sure that the last thing he felt in this world was my love and my arms. You made the same decision ... you made sure that your little one went peacefully and knowing that you loved him.

The pain and hurt you are feeling really does lesson a bit over time ... I am a testament to that. The first few weeks I thought I was going crazy. I would sit at work and tears would just come ... but now two months later ... while I still miss him desparately and would give just about anything for one more hug ... the sharp pain has dulled somewhat and I can at times even smile when I think of him. Something I never thought would happen again.

I wish there were words of wisdom I could give you to you through this. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything anyone can say that will make it any easier. Time really is the only healing factor.

Again, my deepest sympathies go out to you during this sad time ...

Beth

+Quote Post
Nicole - Kane...
post Nov 25 2003, 03:50 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 166

Dear Dee and Martin,

My name is Nicole, and I just joined tonight, not knowing the site very well, I didn't know how to do my own original post. I know what you are going through right now. I found my cat Alex, at 4 yrs. old lying on the floor not moving, I immediately rushed him to the vet at 3:00am crying hysterically. My 4yr. old baby had had a heart attack. After about an hour, and not being able to do anything else at the time, my vet gave him some Lasix for the fluid around his heart. I had to leave him, thinking he was doing better, and was going to be back at 7:00am when the office opened. By the time I got home, after praying for God not to take him from me, there was a message on my machine.... Alex had a seizure and passed away. I lost it, kicked a hole in my wall and all. The pain was unbearable for my husband and I both. We just held each other and cried. I turned my attention to my 6-7 month old puppy for some "grief therapy". As someone said earlier, there is nothing anyone can say to ease your pain. I just wanted to express my sympathy and empathy to you. Cherish the time you have with your other baby and remember, animals can't express their thoughts or feelings like we can, but the decision that you had to make was the best thing for him. I'm sure he would not have wanted to go on in such a horrible condition. It has been a year and a half since Alex passed away and I still talk to him sometimes. I have grown so close to my dog and watch over him like a hawk for fear of something happening to him. It helped me to hear your story....I guess that's what this site is for....I just hope you can find some comfort in some of ours.

+Quote Post
gingerspal
post May 29 2004, 11:23 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 340

I am Patti, I am 53 years old and live with my significant other and my other cat, Ruggles in Oregon. Ruggles is an indoor cat and kind of a senior citizen. I don't know how old he is he was "mature" when I got him at a shelter so I am guessing he is upwards of 15.
I lost my much younger cat Ginger in an accident last week. My entire story is posted in the Death and Dying area of this website. Full name "Gingersnap" was a mostly outdoor cat who had learned to stay in our yard like a little gentleman and I brought him in to stay downstairs in my art studio at night. It really was a perfect set up following a few years of him being ridiculously territorial. He used to go into our neighbors yards and hiss at people and fight with other animals (on THEIR property! that made me popular!) luckily our neighbors were always very forgiving and Ginger stopped doing that. I put up with all this largely because no one else would have ever adopted Ginger--he was a stray, a beautiful one, but he was flat out mean to people and other animals. I don't know why but I just made up my mind to treat him with so much kindness that he would see that I loved him and hopefully stop being so mean! It was an experiment in a way. He would hiss and snarl and I would say in a sticky sweet voice (that I am sure made everyone pretty sick) "oh ginnnnnnngggggger, I am your mommie--& mommie lovvvvvvvves you") and I would do this despite real fear! Many times inside I was so afraid of him! He was so scary!! He was a 20 pound cat with huge teeth and sharp claws and he actually did bite me a couple of times (for no reason!!) but I just soldiered on with my "sweet talk"!! I think of it now and I can't believe I did all that. I guess I really knew that there would be a pay off one day--and there was! (well even quite recently he would hiss at the sky sometimes just for good measure). I had heard of something called "aggression/affection disorder" and I would always explain his behavior to others by citing that--"oh sorry he is hissing ....he has aggression/affection disorder!!" and that seemed to satisfy most.
oh heck, you know I think I wrote all this before---I just keep writing it because it is therapy to write it out, I guess.
Having Ginger in my life made me feel so unique. I felt like I "tamed" him with no other tool than love. In the beginning I only pretended to love him to try to win him over. In the end I really sincerely loved him with all my heart. He had won me over. Maybe I was the subject of the experiment, not the other way around.
Thanks so much for this website md. What a kind man you must be.

--------------------
Ginger was part Norwegian Forest Cat. When I first took him in he was a meanie, so his full name was "Gingersnap", and I did not change his name after I learned she was a he.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:37 AM