IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remembering The Good Times, What are some fond memories of your pet?
crystal0
post Aug 21 2007, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 3,388

After I lost my almost 14-year-old dog, Touch, last month, I was able to go to my local humane society's pet loss support group a couple times. At the end of each session, we would take turns sharing a fond memory about our pet. I thought it would be nice to hear what special memories everyone here has as well.

For me, everytime I sat cross-legged on the floor in the living room, Touch would see me from the kitchen and automatically come to me. Then, he would lay down, resting his right side of his face on my left leg. It was always this way. And everytime I got up and moved a few feet and sat down cross-legged again, he would follow and lay his head on my leg. It was just a cute, loving action that Touch would show, and I will always remember it.

What are some special memories of your pet?

--------------------
My beloved Touch
July 22, 1993 - July 13, 2007

You have changed my life forever, and I will always love you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Aug 21 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #2

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

it's been over 10 years now, but i remember Tribby learned how to fetch various objects and actually bring them back to me (after "beating them up" a bit, of course). his favorite item was a ragged mound of yarn that he would belly-scratch with his back claws. he was a grumpy old salt rolleyes.gif ive not had a cat do that since...good reason why one of his nicks was TribbyDog...he thought he was a dog.

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

While all people here help each other, there are
times where an advanced degree of help may be needed.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or consumed
by grief, it is always best to seek professional help.

+Quote Post
zookeeper
post Aug 21 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,116

Back when Milo was a young dog, I would take him with Nori and Marley to a large, open field for a favorite game of "fetch".

They all knew the drill and would wait at my side with anticipation and unadulterated joy - I would throw the ball and watch them tear across the field.

Invariably, one of the other two would grab the ball and come running back to me. But my sweet Milo would still be gallumping off in the distance, searching for the already retrieved toy.

Always the optimist, I think he believed each time that "today, I will be the one to find the ball and bring it back."

I miss his endless spirit.

+Quote Post
Mistletoe
post Aug 21 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,246

Oh my goodness---I have had so many cats that have gone away---and each one of them had their own personality--

Our last dog we had lived to be 16---he passed away many moons ago--but Pooch was a sweetheart--he was part Lab and part Spaniel and was very lovable--One of the things I remeber about him was that you could put "people clothes" on him and he would let you do it----

And I remeber him eating a bagful of chocolate kisses my husband had wrapped and put under the Christmas tree--he defied the thing about dogs and chocolate--

Our cats??
Garfield would wait my my husband's office door until he got home---
Stash--loved to go on camping trips with us
Red--he thought he was a dog--we could put him on a leash and he would be good-
He loved to travel in our camper too and would sit outside with us with all that race
track activity and noise going on---

There's more--but I would go on forever----

Thanks for helping me remember these things

--------------------
Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives..." John Galworthy

+Quote Post
Ken Albin
post Aug 21 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 854

Our Sir Francis was crazy about Tommy Cat. For more than 7 years he would follow Tommy everywhere and sit next to him. It occasionally drove Tommy nuts.

--------------------

Daddy Cat left this world at the age of 17. His tribute page is at Daddy Cat's Tribute Page

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Aug 21 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #6

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

that is just too cute. photo made my day..thanks.

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

While all people here help each other, there are
times where an advanced degree of help may be needed.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or consumed
by grief, it is always best to seek professional help.

+Quote Post
michelles kitty
post Aug 21 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,258

the fondest memories i have of my girls are, when kitten was about two years old we had gotten poohbear, now pooh was about 8 weeks old and kitten being an only cat at the time had a sort of hard time adjusting to a bouncey ball of fluff with legs..well one day my hubby and i were in our bedroom watching tv and poohbear was on the bed watching kitten walk around on the floor below the bed..poohbear got a running start crouched down and took a flying all four paws spread eagle leap, i mean she got some serious air and landed on kitten's back, of course kitten was like what the heck just landed on me? and then later that night we heard slurping noises flipped on the light only to see kitten lying on her side nursing poohbear with her front paw nestled around her body.. sweetsest sight i ever did see and of course no camera in sight!! they were best friends from that point on..
i miss you girls.. wub.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Aug 21 2007, 11:55 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,750

When I was spooning the wet food into four dishes, Twitch would already be on the counter where I fed him. As I was scooping, I'd tip my face down and he'd gently bump my cheek with the top of his head. It was as private and special as a quick kiss with a sweetheart. As he and I were learning to blend him into the family, it was a precious thing only he and I did, our little gesture that we were tight. I so miss that head bump.... ~Kimberly

--------------------
...You precious children, of four feet, whiskers, and mischief...

+Quote Post
purrylady
post Aug 22 2007, 04:32 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,431

I've started to put a scrap book of memories togther of my happy times with Squeaky. I've filled a photo album with pictures, little tokens, like fur and rose petals from her tree. I've got some pink heart shaped post-its and written down one happy memory on each and placed them inside the album. It's made me realise in my time of grief that we had SO MANY happy times and I'm sure she'd want me to remember these times and not agonise over her passing. Happy memories - where do I start? The most special would be the quiet and private moments we would share, as Mink&WillowsMom said. I'd kiss her head and she'd rub her face into my hair. She'd start 'talking' to me as soon as she saw me and her tail would shoot up in anticipation of a stroke and a kiss. She'd purr so loudly when she was sleeping.

I'm sure our babies would want us to remember these happy times together x

X for Squeaky (8 days today)

+Quote Post
tikkanen
post Aug 22 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,073

My Tigerpaws was a tiny foundling, small enough to fit in the palm of my hand when she came to live with us. The first night she was with us, we had some kitten food in a saucer, all mushed up and thinned with some water. Tigerpaws had her front paws in the saucer, partially in her food and was eating voraciously, growling and gnashing all the while. I reached down and petted her on her back. She turned around a chomped down on my finger, still growling and gnashing and the little stinker bit so hard she drew blood! I knew at that time she was going to make it, and she was with us for 18 years. She will have been gone a year in Sept when she went to the Happy Hunting Ground.

Be Well,

Mark

--------------------
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul reamins unawakened.

Anatole France

+Quote Post
Bue's Mommy
post Aug 22 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,362

QUOTE (LS Support @ Aug 21 2007, 01:16 PM)
it's been over 10 years now, but i remember Tribby learned how to fetch various objects and actually bring them back to me (after "beating them up" a bit, of course). his favorite item was a ragged mound of yarn that he would belly-scratch with his back claws. he was a grumpy old salt  rolleyes.gif  ive not had a cat do that since...good reason why one of his nicks was TribbyDog...he thought he was a dog.

When my cat Twubbles died in 97, I thought I would never recover, but I did. He was the smartess cat I ever encountered in my life. He fetched like a dog, and growled if someone was by the front door. He also liked to box with my hand, he had a south paw (no pun intended) that would make Sugar Ray proud.

Funny story, my roomate did not like Twubbles, and he did not like my roomate.
My roomates g/f made his lunch with those small paper bags, you get about 100 in a bag. She kept them on top of the refridergater. Well Twubby put bite holes in every single bag. Twubbles also stole his lunch one day, and we never found it. Twubbles was an indoor cat, lol.

When I think of the things he did, it makes me laugh, Twubble's, and Bue's pic is over my computer area, but then they were they before they passed also. I included a pic of Twubbles. His name is because he caused trouble, and he was a
bit tubby.
I posted to you because our cats did the same thing, fetch, Twubbles nickname was Twubby, its been 10yrs since he died, wow.

Thank you for reminding me about the good times
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Aug 22 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Bue's Mommy @ Aug 22 2007, 03:03 PM)
my roomate did not like Twubbles, and he did not like my roomate.

Oh my, they're such good judges of character, aren't they? I once had a fellow come visit for a tryst. He and I had been dancing around the issue for years, but we were never in the same city at the same time while single. Finally, he was going to be in Seattle for a conference, and we planned the liaison. He arrived at my house, opened up his suitcase flat on the bed, and within a half an hour, my beloved kitty Tinsica puked right in the middle of his clothes. I was aghast.

Within 24 hours, I was agreeing with her.

Years later, I should have listened as soon as she started peeing in my husband's shoes. Would have saved me a lot of time....

Tinsica, may you rest in peace baby! 4/26/84 - 9/5/02

--------------------

+Quote Post
slbrock59
post Aug 23 2007, 02:32 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 25

I miss CoCo's and my morning routine and him going with me to do errands.

--------------------
You left paw prints on our hearts.

+Quote Post
Sibilance7
post Aug 23 2007, 08:25 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 3,332

QUOTE (Mink&WillowsMom @ Aug 22 2007, 10:26 PM)
Within 24 hours, I was agreeing with her.

Years later, I should have listened as soon as she started peeing in my husband's shoes. Would have saved me a lot of time....

This made me laugh! It's so true, though. Othello was always afraid of new people in our house and would hide under the bed when visitors came, but one time a friend of mine who absolutely loves cats came to visit and he came right out and plopped down in front of her to get pet. He knew he would be safe with her!

I've been waiting to post in this thread because I can't decide which of my memories to post. I have so many great memories of Othello - he was always so full of life and always got into everything. Every so often my husband and I will just ask each other, remember the time Othello did this or that, and we're able to laugh about those things now. One we thought of last night is how he would tear some of my books off the bottom of my bookshelf and then crawl back in behind the remaining books to nap. It always drove us crazy, but now we miss the sound of my books falling on the floor.

Another favorite memory I have is how he used to just walk on everything. If I took some paper out and put it on the table, he would jump up, walk on it, and eventually plop down for a nap. A few weeks before he got sick he jumped up on the counter where I was making a sandwich and walked on my bread, leaving a pawprint right in the center!

I miss him so much. Four years just wasn't enough time with a soulmate animal like Othello.

+Quote Post
k9pal
post Aug 23 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,079

Love all the stories everyone. Our furry friends were so wonderful. Ken, love the pic. This is one of my favorite memories of Max. My mom hosted a family barbecue. Max was in his glory tons of kids to play with. Suddenly he disappeared which was strange because he never would leave the kids sides. So I went on my search for him. Last place I checked was my house, the side door was opened. Strange I thought I know that it was closed so I looked back over my shoulder everyone was still back in my parents yard. So was his sister, she was usally the one who knew how to open doors. Shrug my shoulders oh well maybe I did leave it open. So I go up the one flight of stairs and I hear Max comming down from the upper stairs. We met at the main level and he was all out of breath, tail wagging. I asked him what are you doing over here Max? Are you thirsty ? I got him water while wondering why was he upstairs? If he was thirsty why hadn't he drunk the water in the yard. Why was he even in the house?, He would never ever give up the opportunity to be outside and with kids? Oh well, put it out of my mind and we rejoined the party. Later that night as I lay exhausted in bed a heard a strange noise. I ask my husband half asleep did you hear that? I think we have a mouse. He said no it was only Maxes tail thumping on the floor. Sounded logical, I go to bed. Next day, Max eats, goes out to the bathroom, then goes back upstairs and into the bedroom. (Which is also a never.)I figure with a smile on my face poor baby the kids wore him out. I cleaned the house still no Max. I go up to check on him thinking he's sleeping. Out of the corner of my eye I see this white blur dash behind the dresser. I didn't know what I had just seen. I look at Max he's sitting there wide awake, tail thumping, looking happily at the dresser. He looks at me and I swear he was smiling. What the heck I thought why didn't he bark at it or go and investigate what it was. I look behind the dresser. It's kind of dark, I don't know what's back there or if anything will jump out at me so I go and get a flashlite. What I discovered was a little bunny. How had it gotten in? Why was it up in the bedroom? I knew that Max and my husband had found a nest of bunnies while doing my parents yard in preparation for the picnic so I figured maybe my husband took one. When my husband got home he swore up and down that he had not brought the bunny home. If it wasn't him, then who? Who indeed. Finally all the pieces came together. Maxes odd behavior now made sense. He had brought the bunny home during the picnic. I felt horrible for having to put the bunny back in it's nest after Max went through all that trouble of bring it home and hiding it. But it was a wild animal after all what right did we have in keeping it. But, the memory of the kidnapped bunny I will forever keep. Take care k9pal

+Quote Post
katzen11
post Aug 23 2007, 11:51 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,125

a long time ago, my dad came home with " Freya", the boxer-girl, the only dog
I ever had in my life biggrin.gif
we used to have a very special game together
she would scratch at the door of my room, 5, or 7, or 10 times a day
I would say........hello, anyone here ? I don`t know who wants to see me !
and then,
I would open the the door, and Freya was there..............
and the kisses, the huggings, the jumping up and down would have no end
and I would say " Freya, such a long time I could not see you, I am
sooooooo happy, that you are here with me"
Eva

--------------------
in loving memory of my sweet babycat Felice
+ 8 december 2006

+Quote Post
Lucy1Josie2
post Aug 27 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,758

One of my fondest memories of Lucy was the way she would take up the bed when she'd sleep with me. She was a small dog - part poodle, part terrier (though what kind of terrier, I'm not sure), but once she was up on that bed, she owned it, covers and all. I used to count myself lucky if she didn't push me all the way off during the night. She never actually did that, but there was always a chance, wasn't there?! biggrin.gif

-- Michelle K.

+Quote Post
Bue's Mommy
post Sep 11 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Mink&WillowsMom @ Aug 22 2007, 10:26 PM)
Tinsica, may you rest in peace baby! 4/26/84 - 9/5/02

Finally, he was going to be in Seattle for a conference, and we planned the liaison. He arrived at my house, opened up his suitcase flat on the bed, and within a half an hour, my beloved kitty Tinsica puked right in the middle of his clothes. I was aghast.

OMG, that is so frekin funny Mink&WillowsMoml. thank you for sharing that story.

I have one for you. My ex b/f came over one night, he was one of those macho types. We got into bed to watch some tv, and I got up to go into the kitchen for something to drink. the front door was very close to the kitchen.

I looked down on saw something on the floor. I'm a bit of a neat freak so I turned on the light to see what it was. My cat Twubby took my b/f's underware from the bedroom to the front door. I guess it was his way of saying get the hell out. I informed my b/f what Twubby did, and my b/f said, either I go or the cat goes.

Needless to say, I was like SEEYA! He did try to get back with me, but to no avail.

Thats my Twubby
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Sep 11 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Bue's Mommy @ Sep 11 2007, 05:45 PM)
and my b/f said, either I go or the cat goes.

Silly, silly boy. He should have known what a silly ultimatum that was... wink.gif ~Kim

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bue's Mommy
post Sep 12 2007, 12:47 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (Mink&WillowsMom @ Sep 11 2007, 11:06 PM)
Silly, silly boy. He should have known what a silly ultimatum that was... wink.gif ~Kim

I love your kitty pics, they're beautiful! Yes he was a silly man.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:00 PM