Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I May Be M.i.a. For Awhile..., But I'm okay, don't worry
ladywolf
post Jan 19 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,254

I'M okay, but my computer is NOT! It got virus-infected somehow last night, and I can't do much of anything on it at all. I can used friend's computers, but probably only once a day and only for a little while...

So don't worry if you don't hear too much from me for awhile--Ladywolf and I are okay, it's just computer problems. Bummer!!!

Margi
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
havana
post Jan 19 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,757

Hello ladywolf, how are you? today? I also got my computer infected with Viruses [Trojans] and killed them all using Free Microsoft Service, just go to Goggle then type this as is [Windows Live OneCare scanner Free] once you open the first link roll down the page and you will see where it says [Full Service Scan] click that one then follow the steps wich the are only by clicking on [next] and you will be in business, it will kill them all, trust me, take care. Buster my Boy, I miss you always, Daddy Jorge wub.gif Attached Image

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post Jan 19 2010, 01:41 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (havana @ Jan 19 2010, 11:20 AM) *
Hello ladywolf, how are you? today? I also got my computer infected with Viruses [Trojans] and killed them all using Free Microsoft Service, just go to Goggle then type this as is [Windows Live OneCare scanner Free] once you open the first link roll down the page and you will see where it says [Full Service Scan] click that one then follow the steps wich the are only by clicking on [next] and you will be in business, it will kill them all, trust me, take care. Buster my Boy, I miss you always, Daddy Jorge wub.gif Attached Image

Thank yoo, thank you, thank you, Jorge. I'm not at home right now with the sick computer, but I'm going to print out your instructions and take them home with me. Oh, except that I can't open Google or any other search engine. Shucks, I forgot about that... I really don't know what to do, and have no money to pay for repairs. Any other ideas, anyone? I can get to the point where the desktop loads, and then can't open any website...

Sending good thoughts to angel Buster, Jorge!

Margi

+Quote Post
havana
post Jan 19 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,757

You don't have to have Google, just type this where you receive your e mails on the upper left corner,
[www.Windows Live OneCare safety scanner Free] then on the link #5 click on it and then roll the page down and click on [Full Service Scan] then follow the [next] boxes, Jorge wub.gif Attached Image

+Quote Post
janika
post Jan 19 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,120

Hope with Jorge's help you can sort it, Margi, Good luck and hope to see you back soon.

Love and hugs to you and Ladywolf. And to you Jorge and your Angel Buster.

Jan and My Angels x

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post Jan 19 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (janika @ Jan 19 2010, 12:08 PM) *
Hope with Jorge's help you can sort it, Margi, Good luck and hope to see you back soon.

Love and hugs to you and Ladywolf. And to you Jorge and your Angel Buster.

Jan and My Angels x

Thanks, Jan. Obviously, I'm taking all this very seriously--now I'm on ANOTHER friend's computer!

Jorge--More advice is needed, if you can give it. I can't execute any command--whatever I try to do, I get the message that that exec operation has failed. So I can't enter a URL--I get "googletoolbar is infected." I can't get "help" from my control panel, I really can't do anything online (except SCREAM!)

I believe all of this relates to some co. who is trying to sell me a virus protection package in the midst of all this. I guess they can DO that, huh? Totally screw up your computer and then try to make an instant sale? I'm not having any of it--but their screen keeps appearing as probably the only option I can execute.

What to do, Jorge, or anyone else? Thanks in advance--

Margi

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Jan 19 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #7

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

some of those online scanner sites are bogus, they just drop trojans and other nasties on your drive when you're not looking. there are some legit good ones out there, but with you not having internet access the issue is moot. i've been bitten hard over the years, its gotten to the point if the hackers win, i just start from scratch. i back up my personal files at least weekly to an external drive or two just in case.

next time you're on your sick computer, try to explain more about what is being seen. i'm pretty good at computers and i believe jorge is too. write down exactly what it says and also you can scan for solutions on google on your friends computer using the words your computer shows.

i know some people call Best Buy's Geek Squad to fix things, those black and white vw beetles driving around town, they carry antivirus apps and other goodies on a jump drive so you wouldnt need internet connectivity. maybe thats the way to go. some viruses, especially the ones that keep opening every time you reboot, can be incredibly bothersome and nearly impossible to rid without hours of frustation.

sorry you got bit.

p.s. i moved this post to the the L-S Tech Support section of the forum, people will still see your new posts when they log in.

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

While all people here help each other, there are
times where an advanced degree of help may be needed.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or consumed
by grief, it is always best to seek professional help.

+Quote Post
madi
post Jan 19 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,207

Thanks for letting us know Margi, you know how us girls are, we worry when we don't hear from a mate. I do hope you get your computer fixed, can you reformat it yourself? You do lose everything saved on your computer, but if you back your stuff up first, you can just put it back on again later. Have you heard of UBUNTU? My son put it on a USB flash drive for me and all you do is plug it in and it bypasses everything else and you can use your computer normally virus free, until you get it fixed. I had to use that until my son had time to fix mine. I still have it and if you can't get your computer fixed for a while, I would be happy to send it to you. Let me know if you need it Margi xx

madi xx

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post Jan 20 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #9

Thanks Jorge, Adminstrator and Madi--

The problem continues--I've been infected by "Antivirus Live," a particularly aggressive and nasty piece of carp--but help is hopefully on its way. This weekend, there will be a nerd around who hopefully can fix it all up for me. I'd like to totally reformat the hard-drive and don't know if he'll have time to do all that, but at least we should be able to get rid of ANTIVIRUS!! Meanwhile, I am just using friends' computers.

Thanks for your concern and help. I do know about UBUNTU, Madi, and I have a flash drive, so am considering that option temporarily too. Thanks for your info and offer!

I SHALL return victorious! I did SOME battle with this thing (with a REAL antivirus program) yesterday, let me tell you, but I lost. Now I sure understand why they use names like "Trojan" to describe these things. They are some hideous, insidious critters!!!

Thanks again for your help--I'll keep you posted...

Margi and Ladywolf

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post Jan 21 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #10

Hi all--

Well, I've won a battle, but am still losing the war. I downloaded Firefox onto my zip drive and am running off that, so at least I can check email, etc. I feel somewhat triumphant...thank you so much for the idea, Madi.

This weekend the geek squad will attack and eliminate this horrid thing forever, I hope. A friend has offered to pay for it, bless him.

Hugs--Margi and the Wolf

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post Jan 25 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #11

Hi everyone--

Well, $200 later, the problem has been solved. Thank God for Geeks, even if they overcharge. I had the guy reformat my hard drive and re-install my OS, so I'm starting out totally clean again (with my documents and pictures.)

So far this used laptop has cost $550, but it's not the laptop's fault it caught a virus, after all...

Thanks for your help--things are looking up!

Margi and the Wolf

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Jan 26 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #12

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

i spent around 12 hours with my biz partners laptop over the weekend, i would have charged at least double what you got charged for the work Geeks did. $200 is a pretty good deal for a PC start-fresh. good to see things went well.

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

While all people here help each other, there are
times where an advanced degree of help may be needed.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or consumed
by grief, it is always best to seek professional help.

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post Jan 27 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (LS Support @ Jan 26 2010, 08:41 AM) *
i spent around 12 hours with my biz partners laptop over the weekend, i would have charged at least double what you got charged for the work Geeks did. $200 is a pretty good deal for a PC start-fresh. good to see things went well.

Hi LS--

It was my ex-BF who told me that $200 was too much for that job--I don't really know. He said that all the guy needs to do is give a few commands, go off and work on another computer, come back, give a few more commands, go off again, etc. Is that not true? The guy seemed very sincere, and he did come to my motel room the night after he delivered the computer to help me get online, which I was unable to do, for free. Plus he helped my boss secure his wireless from intrusion, all included.

My ex-BF thinks everyone charges too much for EVERYthing, except himself, of course...

Thanks--Margi

+Quote Post
Jon730
post Feb 3 2015, 08:30 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,585

QUOTE (ladywolf @ Jan 27 2010, 12:41 PM) *
Hi LS--

It was my ex-BF who told me that $200 was too much for that job--I don't really know. He said that all the guy needs to do is give a few commands, go off and work on another computer, come back, give a few more commands, go off again, etc. Is that not true?

No. Some of the scanners have to be run on boot, some have to be run in Safe Mode, before the malware can load. Otherwise they defeat the security software or elude it.
Get an antivirus /security suite like Avast or AVG, etc on that machine before you use it. Even they are not perfect. Do not ever connect an unprotected computer to the Internet.

I once did an experiment, opened my firewall, and monitored my ports. It took three minutes for the scanners and crawlers to find me.
Think of your computer as a baby bird, chirping constantly in a jungle filled with predators. "Here I am! Here I am!"

--------------------
Miles, my friend and Cat-Wife. 3-11-2008
The Sweetest Cat in my Universe.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:29 AM