Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Found Kitten, Not sure where to go
Leighann
post Aug 8 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 1,341

***** I sent an e-mail to Leighann & asked if it was okay with her to move her post to this part of Lightning-Strike. There is much more traffic here, and the liklihood that this post might be seen by someone closer to her is greater in this forum.
This precious little furkitty wub.gif will be spayed on Thursday, as well as being micro-chipped, vaccinations & blood work. She'll be ready to go to a "forever home" over the weekend.....
I will say my prayers that someone will want to adopt this little girl smile.gif ! *****

Peace & Love,
Denise

I have found a little kitten in Penhold, Alberta and not sure where to turn. I have called the local SPCA and shelters, but other than posting signage around town, not sure what else to do. I am hoping of some suggestions to help find this little one's home. I cannot keep her as my other 2 cats would like to rip her to shreds. I need to get her out of my house as quickly as possible, but don't want to resort to a shelter. She's a 3-4 month old grey medium hair tabby. No tattoo, no microchip. Has been trained, and loves people. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Leigh-ann
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Everything I needed to know about love, I learned from my cats
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simba's Daddy
post Aug 8 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,899

It is very nice of you to take this animal in and make sure it is safe and find it's way home (or new home maybe). Maybe your local animal shelter can help you place her with a foster home?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ken Albin
post Aug 8 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 854

What a beautiful kitten! Be sure to stay away from kill shelters if you ask for assistance in finding a placement for what is probably an unowned stray. Use a no-kill group to ensure that this little one makes it to a good home.

Good luck in finding a good indoor home for the little one.

--------------------

Daddy Cat left this world at the age of 17. His tribute page is at Daddy Cat's Tribute Page

+Quote Post
Leighann
post Aug 14 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #4

So I've had this little one for a week, and no one has come forward. The only 2 shelters in town are the SPCA and Pets for Life. Pets for life won't take her, as she was a stray - and may have a owner, where SPCA is a kill shelter. She's such a sweet little girl, but my 12 year old hates her, and not getting any better. I need to get rid of her this week, but not sure what to do. I dont want to go to the SPCA< but I'm running out of options. I was going to donate the spay for her to make her easier to adopt out, but hate to see her in a little kennel. If anyone in Alberta is reading, and can give this little one a home, please PLEASE let me know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ken Albin
post Aug 14 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #5

Have you tried slowly introducing them? Here is what I did with each new cat who came in:
1) Put them in a closed room. The other cats sniffed around under the door and pawed at the new cat when he or she put a paw out.
2) Open the door just a crack and let them sniff and hiss.
3) Open the door and put up three baby gates on the door. More sniffing and hissing.
4) Feed the cats on both sides of the door, slowly moving the bowls closer to each other over a week period.
5) During this period trade blankets so the cats can get used to each other's smell.
6) Start introducing the old cats to the new one, one at a time, in the closed room. Stay there and monitor the interactions. It is a good idea to feed them at this time. Also, the use of a Feliway plugin will calm the cats to some degree and make them less aggressive. Rescue Remedy given orally to the old cats will also help to make them less aggressive at this time.
7) After the introductory period which may last as long as a month, let the new cat out for monitored visits with one cat at a time in their territory.

This worked for me with some very territorial and aggressive cats of different sizes.

If for some reason you can't do this procedure, spay the cat and then find a good home for it. Advertise and then visit the home. Try to find someone who will keep her inside.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Ken Albin

--------------------

Daddy Cat left this world at the age of 17. His tribute page is at Daddy Cat's Tribute Page

+Quote Post
SJ J & S
post Aug 15 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #6

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Youll have to put the word around that she up for grabs if anyone will give her a loving home.

Make sure you tell as many people as possible and the pet shops too.

Wish i lived nearby, im not a cat person but she is grade A georgeous

--------------------
Jude & Sadie, too well loved to be forgotten

+Quote Post
MyMeiko
post Aug 16 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,630

I would love to take her but my husband would kill me since we already have 2 cats and to him thats 2 too many. I have already pushed my limits as far as I can. I do have a couple of suggestions though. If you go on Craigslist.com you can post for free and many people read this website. I would also look into putting an add in the paper. These can be very helpful. There are also organizations around that may take him into foster care until they can find him a home. I hope you succeed in finding him a home....

--------------------
[COLOR=blue]
CODE
My beloved Meiko who will forever live on in my heart....July 29, 2003-May 13, 2006

+Quote Post
Leighann
post Aug 18 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #8

So now, I found this little one a home, and I'm hesitant to give her up. I'm so confused on what to do. My 12 year old does not like her, but my almost 1 year old would have a playmate. My older kitty means the world to me, but she's always getting picked on by the younger one to play. Will the new one solve my problems, or create a new one? Do I give her up while she has someone offering a home, or do I try her out longer?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ken Albin
post Aug 20 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #9

That's one dilemma you will ultimately have to answer for yourself. I can tell you from dealing with our 8 furkids here that cats are adaptable at any age. They will usually reach an understanding amongst themselves regarding living together. That may involve bonding or it may mean that one cat just ignores or avoids another cat. The only 2 'problem cat' situations we have is that

1) one of our males tries to occsaionally bully our little cat Miss Kitty. We keep watch for that and discourage it strongly. It's not a major problem usually since Miss Kitty just swats him and then runs for cover.

2) Our young cat Beau will try to chase our tiny male Sebastian at night sometimes. That's why Sebastian sleeps next to me now. It's not been that big of a problem since he began staying close to me in the evenings. Daytime Beau is fine and even eats next to Sebastian. Cats are truly odd creatures.

Ken Albin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Leighann
post Aug 21 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #10

Well the little one has gone to her new home. I realized how miserable my 12 year old "Baby" was when the kitten was away to get spayed, and Baby showed me how happy she was. She tended to stay in her room on the window sill and not come upstairs when the kitten was there, and she started doing that again once the kitten was back from the spay. Nuku, my other kitty who's almost a year old, didn't seem to care whether the kitten was there or not. She's back to attacking my feet now, as opposed to the kitten, but she's happy regardless. The kitten went to a good home, they have another kitten, so the little on will have a buddy. The family also has 2 kids (pre-teen girls) so she shouldn't get too tortured, besides the occasional 'dress-up'. I am quite pleased with the home she went to, and they said I could come by and visit any time. It was hard to give her up though. I lived with her for only 2 weeks, and she had such huge spirit. Anyone would be very lucky to have this one touch their lives!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ken Albin
post Aug 21 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #11

I'm glad that you found a good home for the kitten to go to. Sorry it did not work out with the older cat.

Ken Albin

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:05 AM