Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Miss Mindy Is Sick
Tom's Dad
post Aug 3 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #21

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,946

Hello DannysMom

Thank you for letting us know how Miss Mindy is doing. It sounds like she is making pretty good progress. I'm thinking moon_beam may be right about her getting "spooked" by something. Mine will do that (hide, etc) if say the bug man or maintenance is in while I'm gone; but not for such a long period. Oh, and they will act strange if I/we sense a visit from Tom. Just some possibilities.

In any case, it sounds like she is improving under your loving care. We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers. I hope today has been kind to you all and that your evening goes well. Take care.

TTT

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 4 2013, 02:43 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 7,464

Tom's Dad, it looks more and more likely that she has the dreaded FHS after all. I watched her back "roll" a couple times, it was like a ripple going through her back muscles. At first she started to panic again but I talked to her and she stayed on the couch and had a long nap. She was out on bug watch with Shelley last night and snuggled with me on the bed through most of the night. This morning she acted fairly normal, going through her usual routine of sitting in the window and watching the birds. But this afternoon, just a few minutes ago I watched her back "ripple" again and she started to panic and headed for the bedroom. I picked her up and put her on my lap and calmed her down. She seemed okay after that. What sickens me is that this could potentially get worse. In extreme cases the cat will attack and mutilate her own tail and will become very aggressive. Usually this strikes mostly Siamese and Oriental cats and that's what puzzles me, because Mindy doesn't have any of that in her, at least not that I can tell. Shelley is part Siamese and you can definitely see that, but not Mindy. Cats with FHS will hallucinate and act like something is chasing them. This is all so weird. Mindy has always been such a calm cat and she and Shelley have been best friends. Now Shelley is much more cautious around Mindy. I've read that it's important to keep a low-stress environment for cats with FHS, but I honestly don't know how I could make this place any more stress-free. My place is basically an oasis of quiet. I don't play any loud music, there are no screaming kids, etc. It's just quiet all the time. I've read that cats with FHS are usually put on anti-depressants or phenobarbital. There is NO WAY I would ever give that junk to my Mindy!!! NO WAY!!! I know there's some natural stuff out there, so I will try that first.

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 4 2013, 03:00 PM
Post #23

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Mindy, you, and your precious Shelley are doing. I can certainly understand your not wanting your precious Mindy on prescribed drugs unless it is absolutely necessary. You must remember, however, that the "natural" homeopathic medicines have the same properties as the pharmaceuticals - - which is why it is essential not to give "natural" remedies of the same nature if someone - - be they our precious companions or humans - - are on prescribed medicines as this can cause an overdose reaction. I hope the "natural" supplements you give to your precious Mindy will help her. Please let us know how things go, and how your precious Mindy is doing.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Mindy and Shelley kindly, and that you and your precious girls will have a very peaceful evening blessed with your beloved Danny's and Tina's sweet Living Spirits to comfort you. Please know you and your precious girls are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I look forward to knowing how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Aug 4 2013, 05:05 PM
Post #24

DannysMom

I'm sorry to hear Mindy is still in distress. But it may not necessarily be FHS. I would check with the vet and see what they have to say and any tests they can do. It could be that something is spooking her and causing her to react that way, and not the other way around. I would tend to agree with moon_beam about caution in what you give her, at least until you know what you are dealing with. We will keep her, Shelley and you in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how she is doing. Take care

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 5 2013, 06:26 PM
Post #25

moon_beam and Tom's Dad, thank you both for your concern and for your suggestions. I'm still keeping a watch on Mindy to see how she does. I hesitate to subject her to testing for FHS as that is diagnosed by exclusion. They would run all sorts of test including skin scraping and all of that could very well cost me about 2000 dollars or so which I really cannot afford right now. Her previous vet visit already ran 528 dollars. My main thing right now is to provide better nutritional support for Mindy, especially the Omega fatty acids. Those are important. I'm still not quite sure if she really does have FHS as cats with that disorder cannot stand to be touched when they have an episode, but not so Mindy. She seems to like it when I pet her and calm her down and it doesn't bother her having her back touched. It could be just something like a flea crawling up her back, but then again that doesn't explain her getting so spooked and hiding.

This morning she seemed to be fine. She jumped on the bed and got real frisky playing "catch Mom's fingers" under the sheets. She acted more her usual self today, swatting Shelley when she did her usual song and dance for the canned food. She also sat in the window as usual and swatted Shelley when she took Mindy's place, but Shelley was unperturbed and did not yield her spot. This evening Mindy greeted me at the top of the stairs and she ate good and played by herself with a piece of paper. She's been keeping me company while I'm here at the computer and that's also part of her usual routine. I'm still giving her the antacid and also the cat probiotic twice a day. Tom's Dad I know you had suggested she may have been spooked by maintenance coming in, but they haven't been here. They don't come in unannounced, and even if they had they would have left a note. She may be distraught over my downstairs neighbor being away and not hearing her dog. That's the only change that happened in Mindy's environment. She may also have witnessed something outside that frightened her, but then again Shelley doesn't seem scared. I live on the second floor, so there's no chance someone can just "walk" up the windows and frighten my girls. I'm just trying to pamper her and love her and engage her in play to help feel her more at ease.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Aug 5 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #26

Hello DannysMom

I'm glad to hear Mindy is improving somewhat. I had no idea they did so much before deciding it's FHS; just though there was a specific blood test. Shows what I know unsure.gif I can certainly understand the stress of the expense (better than most, perhaps) But as you say she has no issue with you touching her, that sounds promising. I didn't suggest it was maintenance that scared her; just an example of what has spooked my babies. But, it sure does sound like she's on about something. Any changes in their environment, how ever small, can just upset their whole apple cart.

It sounds like you are doing all you can for her and Shelley. We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how she is doing. Take care.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 6 2013, 10:55 AM
Post #27

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Mindy, you, and your precious Shelley are doing. I did some reading up on FHS as well, and I, like you, am hesitant to have your precious Mindy undergo the rigors of the "elimination" tests to obtain a definitive diagnosis. It sounds from what you share with us that she is responding to your loving attention and care - - and is showing signs of regaining some confidence again. This is very good news, and I will continue to keep your precious Mindy in my thoughts and prayers that she will be able to resume her normal routines completely without any concern of a "relapse." Please let us know how things go with your precious Mindy.

I hope today is treating you and your precious girls kindly, my friend, and that you and your precious Mindy and Shelley will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening blessed with your beloved Danny's and Tina's sweet Living Spirits to comfort you. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, DannysMom, and of your precious girls. Please know you and your precious Mindy and Shelley are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you and your precious girls are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 6 2013, 08:00 PM
Post #28

Tom's Dad and moon_beam, thanks for being there for me. This whole health scare with Mindy has left me so exhausted, and I so appreciate your comments and your concern. Moon_beam, thanks for reading up on FHS. It is kind of a strange disorder and usually affects Siamese and Oriental breeds of which Mindy is neither (that I know of). She seemed okay this morning until she started grooming herself and then her back and her tail started twitching again which scared her and sent her running into the bedroom. But she came back out soon. I have noticed she tries to "control" the twitch by not wagging or swishing or tail and I know that's got to be a bit frustrating for her. She did fine tonight with no hiding episodes, but she showed some tuxie-tude when we played with the feather wand. Mindy lost interest and then Shelley started going after the wand which really riled Mindy. She had that look in her eyes that said:"How DARE you play with the toy when I ignore it!" So she chased after poor Shelley. Mindy did her usual routine of bird watching this morning, so that was encouraging as well. This evening she stayed in the living room with me which is pretty much routine for her. I am glad that she is doing better, but I will keep a watchful eye on her.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 7 2013, 11:07 AM
Post #29

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Mindy, you, and your precious Shelley are doing. I'm glad to know that your precious Mindy girl is showing some signs of returning to her normal activities - - and "tuxi-tude". It is always concerning when we see our precious companions' behaviors change so drastically and we haven't a clue why. You did the right thing in seeking medical assistance for her which at least ruled out all the things that "could be" causing her distress. I know seeing her interact with Shelley once again is helping you to know that your precious Mindy is back on the road to normalcy.

As always, I hope today is treating you and your precious girls kindly, my friend, and that you and your precious Mindy and Shelley will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening blessed with your beloved Danny's and Tina's sweet Living Spirits to comfort you. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, DannysMom, and of your precious girls. Please know you and your precious Mindy and Shelley are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you and your precious girls are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Aug 7 2013, 03:34 PM
Post #30

Hello DannysMom

Thank you for sharing how Miss Mindy is doing. It sounds like she's making fairly steady improvement. I do hope this trend continues for the better. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 7 2013, 05:43 PM
Post #31

Tom's Dad and moon_beam, thanks so much for your continued concern for my precious Mindy. Right now she is on the floor next to me and quite relaxed. This morning she gave me quite a scare though as she took a turn for the worse. She started getting agitated and restless again and had the tail twitch and back twitch and was running around on the stairs trying to chase her tail and then ran into the bedroom and hid under the bed. She would not come out as much as I coaxed her. It scared me so and I left for work with a heavy heart. Last night I was doing more research on FHS and came across a website where a lady reported her cat having FHS and she suspected it had to do with the food she was feeding the cat. Other people's comments said similar things. Some brands of no-grain or low-grain food apparently seem to cause these FHS type symptoms. I wondered if perhaps the canned food that I'm feeding is the culprit. It has L-Carnitine in it, 25m/kg. Humans should take no more than 3 grams or they can get these symptoms:

Nausea and vomiting
Stomach upsets
Heartburn
Diarrhoea
A stuffy nose and headache
Seizures for those people who are prone to seizure disorders. Anyone who has had a seizure in the past should avoid using carnitine.
Some people have reported restlessness and problems sleeping so it best to take carnitine earlier in the day.
Changes to blood pressure and a fast heartbeat.
High energy levels

Kinda sounds like what Mindy has. Her tummy is affected and she is also restless. That would definitely fit her symptoms. I'm going to try and feed her a different canned food tomorrow morning, one that doesn't have the high levels of L-Carnitine, and see how she does. I originally got this food because L-Carnitine helps metabolize fat and I thought that would help Mindy lose weight. I only feed her the canned food in the morning, not at night. Right now she seems fine. The dry food that I'm feeding doesn't have the L-Carnitine in it. Right now they're getting Merrick Purrfect Bistro for Adult Cats and sometimes I feed Mindy some Orijen for Kittens and Adults. Thankfully I have some cans of Holistic Select canned food left. She always did good on that. I've researched some other canned food, but I'm trying to avoid those that contain carrageenan, because it can cause stomach upset in cats and people. It's used as some type of binder.

I was so anxious all day, worrying if Mindy was okay at home. I'm glad that right now she is relaxing so good and not having any issues.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Aug 8 2013, 07:25 AM
Post #32

Hello DannysMom

Just stopping by to say thanks for updating us on Miss Mindy. I hope the change in diet is helpful. As always, keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers. Be well.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 8 2013, 01:44 PM
Post #33

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, adding my sincere thanks to Tracy's for keeping us informed as to how your precious Mindy is doing. It is very challenging finding the absolute "right" food that will settle on our precious companion's tummies without causing any kind of upset. I'm so glad you found the website that gave you some valuable insight and information which I hope will help you help your precious Mindy. Please know your precious Mindy, you, and your precious Shelley, are in my thoughts and prayers that the change in food will help your precious Mindy, and please let us know how she's doing.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Mindy and Shelley kindly, my friend, and that you and your precious girls will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening blessed with your beloved Danny's and Tina's sweet Living Spirits to comfort you. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, DannysMom, and of your precious girls. Please know you and your precious Mindy and Shelley are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you and your precious girls are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 8 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #34

Tom's Dad and moon_beam, thanks for caring about my sweet Miss Mindy. Last night she had a lot of twitching going on. She got so annoyed that she tried to bite her tail several times. She got restless after a while, and when she started grooming herself the tail twitch and back twitch started. I felt so bad for her. This morning I did NOT feed them the usual C&P canned food, but instead gave Mindy Holistic Select canned food which Shelley doesn't like so she just ate some dry food. Mindy seemed calm and relaxed after eating the Holistic Select. She didn't have any twitching and didn't go hide. She went about her usual bird-watching routine and even tried to groom sister Shelley. Tonight when I came home she seemed her usual self, so I guess I'm on the right track. I fed her just some dry Orijen tonight to see if that causes her any problems. I'm thinking that maybe the other dry food, the Purrfect Bistro, may be causing her some problems as well. That lady's website was talking about how too much Thiamine (B1) in cat food can make cats restless and aggressive. Shelley seemed really wired this morning after eating the Purrfect Bistro, so I'm glad Mindy didn't eat it.

I've found some new canned cat food that I've ordered which they both may like and which doesn't have carrageenan or the L-carnitine. It's RedBarn's "Tricky Chicken" canned cat food and it seemed like something they both would like. Plus it doesn't have much more calories than the C&P canned food which is good for Mindy.

Last night she had the twitches real bad though which made her want to snuggle close to me again when I went to bed. I can tell it scares her and she is looking for comfort. It scared me too to see her like this. It's just awful that these pet food manufacturers can't make more decent food that doesn't harm our fur kids. Even the so-called super premium food isn't always what it's cracked up to be. If I just had more time I would probably go to home-made food.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Aug 9 2013, 04:16 PM
Post #35

Hello DannysMom

Thanks for sharing Miss Mindy's progress with us. It is sounding like it's diet oriented from everything you have posted. Like people, as cats get older I guess their tolerance to certain foods changes. I'm glad you seem on a good track toward helping her get better. Hoping today has been kind to you, Mindy and Shelley and that you all have a wonderful evening and weekend. TTFN

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 10 2013, 02:46 PM
Post #36

Tom's Dad, I think that maybe in this batch of canned food they got a bit too much of the L-Carnitine in there. I know accidents can happen, and I suspect that's what happened here. Now I don't know if it was Mindy or Shelley, but one of the two vomited this morning down by the door. It was just bits of food and lots of clear bile. But Mindy seemed okay today. She has been calm and relaxed and really sweet, even grooming sister Shelley again. Mindy really seems to be back to her old self and for that I'm thankful. I just hope she likes the new canned food and that it doesn't have anything in it that disagrees with her. It's made in the USA, so that does make me feel better as I don't trust pet food ingredients from China.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Aug 10 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #37

Hello DannyMom

I'm glad to hear that Mindy seems to be doing better. Sorry to hear either she or Shelley's tummy didn't agree with the food. You're probably right that food made here is safer than China. I hope you have all had a good day and have an even better evening.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 11 2013, 02:47 PM
Post #38

Well...it seems I've wasted my money on the "Tricky Chicken" canned food. I poured it in the bowl this morning and it looks so yummy and good that I thought this was definitely a winner. But no....Shelley sniffed at it and walked away and demanded dry food and Mindy just ate a few pieces and left the rest. Ugh! ohmy.gif

So this afternoon I went to the pet store and got single cans of different food to try out. Not going to waste another 35 bucks on a whole case of canned food! I got a can of Weruva, 2 cans of Merrick, and 1 can of EVO. Tried the Weruva "Paw Lickin Chicken" food this afternoon. Both cats just sniffed on it and wouldn't touch it. Ack!!!

Then...a surprise...Mindy changed her mind and ate a good portion of it. Shelley unfortunately is THE pickiest cat I've had as far as food goes. I guess I'll try the Merrick tomorrow and see how it goes. I have got to find one type of canned food that they both like and that won't give Miss Mindy the twitches or stomach upset. Well, I guess I will donate the unused cat food to a shelter or rescue.

Miss Mindy seems her usual self today, playful, calm, and loving.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Aug 11 2013, 05:47 PM
Post #39

Hello DannysMom.

I'm glad to hear that Mindy is doing better, but so sorry that you seem to have wasted so much of your resources on food neither seems to like. I know all about finicky. Was a time when Theresa would only eat Friskies pate tuna or whitefish. Then she stopped wanting that even. Tang only seemed to want 9 Lives (any flavor) For a while I kept both on hand but stopped after several failed attempts on Theresa and the Friskies.

I hope you can find a solution that both like. I hope today has treated you, Mindy and Shelley well and that you all have a pleasant evening. TTFN

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 12 2013, 02:59 PM
Post #40

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Mindy, you, and your precious Shelley, are doing. Our companions can indeed be very finicky about their food - - but I am glad to know that your precious Mindy gave the Weruva food a chance after all, and hope that it is indeed "Paw Lickin'" good!! Perhaps seeing Mindy give it a try will encourage Shelley to do so as well -- it reminds of the "Life" cereal advertisements "I'm not going to eat, YOU eat it - - hey, let's get Mikey - - he'll eat anything!!! Hey, he likes it!!"

So glad to share your news that your precious Mindy seems to be getting back to her normal self - - I know this makes you feel MUCH BETTER, too!!!

I hope today is treating you and your precious Mindy and Shelley kindly, my friend, and that you and your precious girls will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening blessed with your beloved Danny's and Tina's sweet Living Spirits to comfort you. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, DannysMom, and of your precious girls. Please know you and your precious Mindy and Shelley are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you and your precious girls are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:55 AM