3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's Introduce Ourselves
wchamilton
post Jul 30 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 3,255

After all of the support, sympathy and help you all have given me the past several days I thought I'd pop in here and actually introduce myself.

*ahem*

My name is William Clay Hamilton, but I go by Clay. I'm 38 years old and live in Chenango Forks, New York, and I work at a hospital here doing technical support. I'm married and have been with my wife since we were in high school, which is going on 21 years. We have an 18-year old son who's about to start his third semester of college.

We've always had animals. We have two lab huskies (we call them purebred Huskadors) named Miya and Takoda, and until this past Sunday we had a Doberman/Shepard/?? mix named Winston (RIP). We also have two black cats named Angel and Nala, but they literally are so identical looking that you can't tell them apart.

In our spare time my wife and I are avid video game players and we like to watch movies and are avid readers. I also play a bit of bass guitar and fancy myself to be an amateur photographer... I'm also a huge military aviation nerd; my wife and I took a weekend trip to Washington DC in May to see The Blue Angels.

Here's a picture of us that was taken last year at Disneyland.

And here's a sample of some of the pictures I took at the airshow in May::

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LS Support
post Jul 30 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #2

Forum Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

ok, i re-opened this post.

--------------------

click map

Visit Our Website

Support This Site

Pet Loss Blog

Pet Loss Books

While all people here help each other, there are
times where an advanced degree of help may be needed.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or consumed
by grief, it is always best to seek professional help.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Jul 31 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Clay, this is a great idea. I'm moon_beam and live in the beautiful Blue Ridge / Piedmont Mountain region of South Central Virginia. If you look at a State map and find Roanoke, Rocky Mount, and Burnt Chimney (if it's shown) and then look for Smith Mountain Lake and the Booker T Washington Monument State Park and put a pin in the middle that's pretty close to where my humble abode is - - a little house in the woods. I love being out of the city and in a more country setting.

I am the only "human" in my household which now is just Noah, my little kitty man who is 7 years old. If you read my posts about Abbygayle's Journey and Oslo you will see our journey that has brought Noah to being the sole survivor in a household that once had 4 furkids.

I currently work for a home health provider as an office slug - - paper pusher. Been pushing paper for about 40 years now, and to say I'm not enthused about my job would be an understatement, but it's a paycheck. I like photography but am not very good at it. I love your pictures of the Blue Angels. I have seen them perform many times when I was growing up in the Washington, DC, area, during Armed Forces Day at Andrews Air Force Base. I've also seen the Canadian Snow Birds and USAF Thunderbirds perform. They are amazing!!!!

I also enjoy boating, but don't have much opportunity for it and don't have the money for it. But I love to watch the sailboats on the lake and movies that have sailing / boating as part of the story. I like being ON the water, but not in it since I don't know how to swim. If I were to ever take a cruise and the boat foundered for some reason I would definitely be fish food.

I looked up Chenango on the atlas and it looks like you're in beautiful Adirondack Mountain territory. When my mom was alive we would take trips to beautiful Upstate New York -- Lake George, the Finger Lakes, etc.. One visit we had a tour of the Cornell University School of Veterinary Medicine and I thoroughly enjoyed a glider flight at the Ithaca Flying School. It was a BEAUTIFUL flight - - I thoroughly enjoyed it and still remember it as though it were just yesterday that it happened - - it's been close to 30 years since that trip.

Again, Clay, I think this a great idea, and I hope that this will catch on. Again, please permit me to offer you my sincerest sympathies in the loss of your beloved Winston. When there is a loss the dynamics of the household change, and that change is very painful, particularly in the beginning - - both physically and emotionally. Please know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Aug 1 2010, 04:30 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,235

Hi Clay, great pics.

I live in Michigan, me and my husband and my two dogs, Radar (10 yr old mix) and Tanga (2 yr old rat terrier). I am an Air Traffic Controller for the FAA, my husband is as well, but we work at two different facilities and live in between them...only 9 more years until retirement...yah! Brutus was our first born, we don't have any children.

I enjoy boating, fishing, hunting, camping, snow skiing, tying flies. Just about anything outdoors basically. We are originally from PA and moved here 13 years ago for our jobs.

I love all animals and have had quite a variety...horses, goats, chickens, cats, fish, reptiles, birds, raccoon, bunnies...basically you name it and I've had it over the years...now it's just the dogs. We bought a "camp" last year that we spend our weekends at so I had to downsize from the hobby farm I had. I was tired though, so it was good thing, all I did was shovel pooh it seemed like. lol

That's about it,
Sonya

--------------------
****Sonya****

In loving memory of my soulmate, Brutus...never forgotten, always missed.

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
Black Lab and best friend
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 1 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #5

Forum Moderator

Hi, Sonya, just read your intro. I worked for the FAA for 13.5 years - - most of them at the DC headquarters and the last few at the Atlantic City, NJ, research and development center before moving back to Virginia. I was then and always have been a paper pusher - - office slug. Some of the people thought I "should" become an ATC but I knew I would never be able to handle that type of job. You and your husband have my deepest admiration for what you do.

Sounds like you have enjoyed the company of many precious creatures in your life. I wish you and your husband the best in your continued employment, and please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Cheryl83
post Aug 2 2010, 04:45 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,508

Okay...

My name is Cheryl (as you all know) and I will be 27-years-old on Thursday. I live, and have always lived, in Liverpool, United Kingdom ("Home of the Beatles"). I'm engaged. My fiance and I have been together for 7 years, but I've known him for 9. We were best friends before we became a couple (we still are best friends). I'm due to start University in September to study for a BA Degree in Criminology. I'm excited, but a little nervous - it's been 8 years since I was last in education, and I'm worried I've lost too many of my brain cells unsure.gif It's a tough course, but I do look forward to the challenge.

Well, that's the basics. Anything else you wanna know, just ask smile.gif

Cheryl xx

--------------------
It broke our hearts to lose you, but you didn't go alone,
For parts of us went with you ... the day God called you home

My beautiful Angel, Daisy - I will love and miss you forever xx

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Aug 2 2010, 09:01 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,235

If anyone would like to be friends on facebook, my email is sguidish AT yahoo.com....look me up!
Reason for edit: showing live email address

--------------------
****Sonya****

In loving memory of my soulmate, Brutus...never forgotten, always missed.

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
Black Lab and best friend
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
Cheryl83
post Aug 2 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Brutus @ Aug 2 2010, 03:01 PM) *
If anyone would like to be friends on facebook, my email is sguidish@yahoo.com....look me up!

Hi Sonya, I've sent you a friend request smile.gif x

Just to add - if anyone would like to add me, my email address is: chery_lm@hotmail.co.uk

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 2 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #9

Forum Moderator

Hi, Cheryl, -- thank you so much for "introducing" yourself. Well, I guess I should tell you - - in my much younger years during the height of the "British Invasion" I, too, was a Beatles fan. I still am but on a different level - - as age has been added through the years. I still enjoy hearing their songs whenever they come on a radio I may be listening to - - find myself tapping my toes and nodding my head to the beat. I never was a "groupie" or a "screamer" - - I preferred to actually LISTEN to their music and learn the lyrics so that I could sing along rather than obscure their songs with screaming.

Best of luck in your upcoming education. When I graduated high school I worked for the U.S. Bureau of Narcotics Administration - - or whatever it's called these days - - in the lab where the seized drugs were brought in for &%^ysis. I typed the reports from the chemists, arranged the court appearances of the chemists when cases came to the court docket, filed, - - typical office slug stuff.

Keep us posted as to how things go, okay?

Hope life is treating you kindly, Cheryl.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cheryl83
post Aug 2 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (moon_beam @ Aug 2 2010, 07:27 PM) *
Hi, Cheryl, -- thank you so much for "introducing" yourself. Well, I guess I should tell you - - in my much younger years during the height of the "British Invasion" I, too, was a Beatles fan. I still am but on a different level - - as age has been added through the years. I still enjoy hearing their songs whenever they come on a radio I may be listening to - - find myself tapping my toes and nodding my head to the beat. I never was a "groupie" or a "screamer" - - I preferred to actually LISTEN to their music and learn the lyrics so that I could sing along rather than obscure their songs with screaming.

Best of luck in your upcoming education. When I graduated high school I worked for the U.S. Bureau of Narcotics Administration - - or whatever it's called these days - - in the lab where the seized drugs were brought in for &%^ysis. I typed the reports from the chemists, arranged the court appearances of the chemists when cases came to the court docket, filed, - - typical office slug stuff.

Keep us posted as to how things go, okay?

Hope life is treating you kindly, Cheryl.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

Hi moon_beam, thanks for your kind words. I will keep you posted. With regards to the Beatles, I'm not a huge fan myself, though I do appreciate their music. When I think of the grief shared on this forum, I always think of the Beatles song "The Long and Winding Road" as this grief itself certainly is a long and winding road.

"The long and winding road
That leads to your door
Will never disappear
I've seen that road before
It always leads me here
Lead me to your door.

The wild and windy night
That the rain washed away
Has left a pool of tears
Crying for the day.
Why leave me standing here?
Let me know the way..."

Moon_beam, you and Noah are in my thoughts. Much love, Cheryl x

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gretta's Mom
post Apr 23 2011, 06:01 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,067

Thank you for getting this started, Clay. I'm Gretta's mom, Jeanne, and I live in Saint Paul, MN. Today is the two-week anniversary of my taking my sweet girl to the vet school hospital, never to return. I'm the factotum for the president of a small manufacturing company. Which means something like the old cereal commercial "Give it to Mikey!" Actually I DO like my job. It gives me a lot of freedom to work all over the company - trying to apply new learning and do thing better. I'm only a few years from retirement - for whatever that means. Bobbie, who also posts in this forum is my sister. She taught me everything I know about living with and loving dogs. I moved to a huge, old fourplex specifically so I could have a dog. Gretta is my only "dog master" as an adult. She was a rescue at age 9. She adopted me at an adoption event and we were inseparable for three and a half years. She came to me for a reason - to teach me some things that I'm not even sure what they are. And now she's decided that the bird has to be pushed out of the nest and go solo. SO she got on the bus and left (not literally, of course). I firmly believe in the next life. And it could only be heaven if all our loving animal friends were there with us.

Sorry for rambling on.

Gretta's mom, Jeanne

+Quote Post
Patty
post Jun 27 2011, 12:09 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 7,163

Hi Clay:

I am Pat, Punky's mommy. Punky is a sweet, loving domestic short haired Tabby.
In the last few years she has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and was put on Tapazole. She was doing ok until recently. Now her
kidneys are starting to fail, she has lost weight and won't eat. The vet gave me liquid vitamins to give her. I suspect she also has mouth ulcers now because when she attempts to eat something it sounds like clapping. I feel so helpless but I make her as comfortable as possible. I don't have the heart to put her down yet.

I am originally from Bethpage, NY and now live in Richfield, NC. My mom and I picked Punky (Pumpkin) up at a shelter on Long Island on Halloween 1997. She was the cutest and liveliest of the kitties. She won our hearts from the start and has been the best cat ever. As sick as she is she still goes to her litter box and never pees or poops elsewhere. Punky has always been talkative but lately she is so depressed.
I believe there is a special place in heaven for animals. Please pray for her with me. I am posting a picture of my sweetie.

Thank you all and God Bless your babies too.

Pat

Attached ImagePunky licking my son, Matthew's head.

+Quote Post
Cheryl83
post Jun 30 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #13

Hi Pat,

Sorry to hear that your sweet Punky isn't doing too good. I love the picture of her, she's adorable. I will keep her in my prayers and thoughts. Perhaps, if you're feeling upto it, you would like to start your own thread telling us all more about your Punky. You will probably receive a lot more support that way, as not many people actually check this thread.

Thinking of you,

Cheryl x

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Jun 30 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #14

Forum Moderator

Hi, Patty, thank you so much for sharing your precious Punky with us. Chronic Kidney Failure is very debilitating over a period of time. In my much younger years I had a very precious little kitty succumb to kidney failure. It was my first experience with euthanasia as well. When the "time" arrives you will know, Patty, and you will have the strength and courage to ease your precious Punky's journey home to the angels.

Please know you and your little Punky are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristina
post Jul 26 2011, 08:54 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,171

Hey everyone

I am recreating my post that got lost during the board mishap.

I am Kristina. I am 30 (31 on August 10th!) and I live in Northern Kentucky, about 5 minutes south of Cincinnati, Ohio. Aj is my husband, we have been together for almost 8 years, married for almost 2. We lost our beloved black Labrador Retriever Dixie on June 30th. She was 10 years old and my number one girl.

We have two cats and a dachshund/corgi mix named Macy. She is 9.

I am a full time student majoring in History. My goal is to get my Masters in Public History, with my focus being Historic Preservation. Yes I am a huge nerd. I would love to either restore old buildings, or do something along the lines of historic artifacts.

As for my free time, well before it always revolved around Dixie, regardless if I was actually free or not. She was my whole world, so now I have tons of time and nothing to do with it until school starts back in August.

I figured I would introduce myself properly, as I plan on being around here for a long long time to come.

--------------------
Dixie
March 19, 2001 - June 30, 2011

Old in a locket that sits next to my heart,
I will always love you even though we had to part.

+Quote Post
cowboy
post Jul 29 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 7,191

Hi everyone my names Thomas. Im 34 and live in the St Louis area working as a dental tech. As far as my interests go I am having to figure that out. For the last three years its been spending time with my dog cowboy and watching tv. Now that hes passed I need to find other things to take an interest in. Anyways its nice to meet everyone.

+Quote Post
CarissaP
post Sep 1 2011, 08:43 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,248

Hello

I just joined my name is Carissa I am 20 and live in the UK England (for university/work/living with partner) and Wales (my mum and pets home, my birth place, the place I go back every two weeks maximum gap between visits, my true home)
I am a final year philosophy student, hoping to get graduate training job in marketing when I finish university-I say hope I mean have to for money its not my true desire, my true desire is to move back in with my mum forever and stay there forever and live with my pets and mum forever.
I live with my partner of 4 years 8 months in a city an hour and a half away from my Welsh home in england. very nice flat, nice area we can barely afford but its still not wales and no pets allowed. Not that I'd replace mine but you know what i mean!

My interests are listed on my profile.

My pets are not dead. But they are very old and one is 'sick' in a way. I fear when they do die I will not cope ....

I was raised to believe they are my brothers and call them my brothers and that they are sentient people and my family.

They certainly seem not your average animals but more about that in another thread.

I have lost one pet once but perhaps a separate not introduction story. it was many years ago.

I look forward (in a way) to telling you about each of pets, including death of one and whats wrong with the living ones and maybe more about why for their species they are so odd and not like any other animals I have ever met. I am a great animals lover though and studier of animals ethics.

I am here because my pets are not dead but will some day die maybe this year, maybe next year maybe in 3 years (probably no longer due to age) but because the way I was raised and how close we are and my views on their sentience i love them more than anyone even humans close to me and I live in constant anxiety and fear of their demise. I almost cannot get on with my life. When I am away from them I feel life is meaningless.

I hate non animal lovers. THose who think animals are less important than people are not worthy of life in my view. I know I'm an extremist but I'd gladly save an animal I'd never met over a human who was a casual friend and I'd murder so many to save my brothers life as a mother would for her child.

I need friend who understand the most important part of my life and a support network so when they die as we all do I won't top myself.

My brothers are called Pierre and Takhisis. Maron was a hamster now dead.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Why do I need a signature. What is that for anyway? Isn't a personal statement, an avatar, a profile, a picture more than enough please? :P

+Quote Post
corinnajane
post Dec 8 2011, 08:41 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 6,984

Hello everyone!

Well, my name is Corinna but most of my friends call me CJ. I am older than people think. I live in Victoria, Australia, quite a way away from you guys!

I am a singer and have done all sorts of vocal work. I've been in innumerable bands and sung in almost every style possible... Except heavy metal. Yet. I have done tonnes of recording and gigs and all that sort of thing. I am proud of my voice and my brain.

You are welcome to check out my stuff by looking up Corinna Jane as a Page on FB, but, be warned, there is another woman, much younger than me, with the same name. I think she lives in England.

I am also happy to add people as friends on FB, to my personal profile.

After many years doing assorted jobs and gaining various degrees, I am now teaching singing and doing all sorts of music-related jobs. It's great to be doing what I love!

I have always loved animals, and, when I was very young, my Mum brought home a kitten that she had rescued from some rotten boys. Apparently they were throwing this tiny black kitten over a wall for "fun", over and over again. I wasn't supposed to bother the kitten, but after one look, I fell in love and we were pretty much inseparable from that point on. That was my darling Blacki, who thankfully never showed any signs of harm from the terrible abuse she had suffered. She lived to be 18 before her kidneys failed.

Since then, I have had a range of companion animals, but cats have always been in my life. My current darlings are Tepper, Trilobite, Lamington and Matilda. They are all reasonably young animals. I always adopt animals that are strays or in shelters and give them a loving home with a wonderful garden in which to play.

I haven't married, so my darlings keep me happy and not lonesome in the slightest. I am a little bit militant about animal rights. Anyone who deliberately hurts animals is scum, in my book.

I came across this website when I was mourning the loss of my boy, Leonine, who was poisoned, and I'm forever grateful to the people on here who helped me cope with that sad situation.

It's nice to meet you!

+Quote Post
TakodaMyLove
post Dec 27 2011, 11:11 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,412

Hi, my name is Aggie. On Christmas night, my dear baby German Shepherd, Takoda, got loose. She was a very skittish dog and very mistrustful. My friend, who owns a cat, had invited me and Takoda to her house for dinner, since I was alone for Christmas. As I got to her house, I asked her if it was safe to let Takoda off the leash, fearing that the cat had not been safely tugged away. I took Takoda off her leash when my friend told me that it was, indeed, safe to do so. Little did I know that my friend had left the door to her backyard open. Takoda bolted for the yard and, before my friend could close the gate, she had slipped out and was gone. We searched and searched to no avail. That night and the next day we posted flyers all over the vicinity where she was last seen. A good samaritan saw the flyer and called to let me know that Takoda had been hit by a car and died instantly. As it happened over the holidays, nothing was open, i.e. OSPCA, animal control, etc. I was told by the good samaritan that they saw 2 police officers standing over my baby's body, but when I went to the station, they had absolutely no record of it. Knowing Takoda is dead is already tearing me apart. Not knowing where her body is can only be described as constant torment. I just want to bring my baby home. I still have not been able to locate her.

Anyway, that is my story.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Snicky's Mom
post Jan 27 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,426

Hi everyone, My name is Jennifer and I live in Dallas, Texas (born and raised here!) I have been a flight attendant for American Airlines for 25 years. I grew up with dogs, but when I began traveling, it was easier to take care of cats while I was gone. My first love (Scooter) died in 2006 at 18 and Chloe, 17 just passed on Jan 1 2012. I still have my 3 1/2 year old cat Snickerdoodle (Snicky) who is now my only child. I sometimes volunteer at Operation Kindness, a no kill animal shelter. And when I can I like to be outdoors hiking or running , although Texas is awefully hot in the summertime.
Bless all of you here. We are bonded together in our sorrow, happiness, and deep love for our companion animals. xoxoxJennifer wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:10 PM