Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lancelot In The Hospital
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Dec 8 2012, 02:44 PM
Post #21

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,510

Danny's Mom and moonbeam:

Thank you so much for all of your kind thoughts. I wanted to update you on Lancelot's progress. Last Monday was week 4 of chemo, and the oncologist hasn't been able to feel his lymph nodes since week 2, nor his spleen. His blood counts have remained good. He has lost weight some weeks, gained on others, but he seems to lose on weeks he gets the medication vincristine. The oncologist isn't too concerned about the weight loss right now. As it turns out, we LOVE our oncologist.

Most importantly, Lancelot is happy. He has some days when he's extra tired or maybe not as playful, but often enough, he's his usual self. We had a bad night last Sunday. I was at work, and Lance vomited twice. He'd been playing in the basement - which we normally don't allow, but he was having so much fun, we let him - and then sleeping on a pillow made of black fake fur. Well, wouldn't you know it, but black fake fur is what he vomited. He vomited again, then went and curled up on the couch, and started shivering. My husband was terrified. This is when I know we picked the right oncologist - they have an oncologist available via phone 24/7. You leave a voicemail on the emergency line, even at 1 AM, and they call back. And I've found they call back quickly, usually within 15-20 minutes. The oncologist was so nice, and helped my husband while Lancelot was feeling miserable. By the time I got home from work around midnight, Lancelot was sleeping comfortably on our couch. And at 1:30, he woke up and was all ready to play! He had his weekly appointment at 8:30 the next morning, so I stayed up all night with him. His oncologist thinks that it was a bit too late to be a reaction to chemo, so we're thinking that the fake fur upset his stomach. Lesson learned: Lancelot really is capable of getting into trouble at a moment's notice, LOL.

The other wonderful thing about our oncologist and their techs... they know about Lancelot's bad reaction to anesthesia. Lancelot isn't always the easiest cat to handle at the vet. He's loud, and he gets very grumpy (though the oncologist says that on the 1-10 scale of bad cats, Lance is only at a 5). While sedating him for blood draws and IV chemo meds would be easier, they are as adamant as we are about not giving him anesthesia/sedation unless it's absolutely necessary. Even last week, when they had to insert an IV catheter, draw blood from it, give him a 10 minute IV infusion and give him subQ Cerenia to prevent nausea, they did not sedate him at all. I am so incredibly impressed and grateful. And because of how great they are, he's getting used to being handled more. We drive about an hour to get there, but it's worth every minute, especially since Lance likes car rides.

So, next week is a week off, except to go to his primary vet for a CBC and a quick look over by the vet. We had to give him the appetite stimulant again on Wednesday, but we gave a half-dose and he didn't have the bad reaction again (which was him getting restless, agitated, yowling inconsolably, stumbling like he was drunk). He was a bit extra-sleepy, but I wasn't very surprised, since cyproheptadine is an antihistamine. He seems to need a little extra encouragement to eat, but once he gets going, he does well. He's enjoying the fishy flavors of wet food right now. I know it's not supposed to be good for the kidneys, but I figure that even if it's not the optimal food, he's eating - and his body needs nutrition and energy right now. And speaking of energy, Lancelot played with me for half an hour this morning, and was running around while he did. It's amazing to see. I never thought we'd get another 4 weeks with him, let alone a mostly good 4 weeks!

His next appointment with the oncologist is 12/17. We're hoping his weight will be up a little bit again, with the break. That's also when we start thinking about whether or not he's in remission (!!!). I'm trying so hard not to get too excited. So far, all signs point to it being a possibility, so please keep thinking good thoughts for Lance! He has so many people pulling for him, and I'm convinced that's what is making the difference. He even has a prayer blanket that volunteers at my hospital knit while saying healing prayers (not for him specifically), which was then blessed by our chaplains. When one of them heard my kitty was sick, she went and brought it to me, for him. I had managed to hold it together at work so well, until then! It was just the kindest gesture - and I'm not religious, but I do believe that prayer and positive energy can have an impact. Sometimes Lancelot sleeps under or on the blanket, and Chaplain Jan said that when he does, he's wrapped in prayer.

I guess the TL;DR is that Lancelot is doing much better than I might have expected, and he's happy. That's all I can ask for, and more than I hoped for.

--------------------

When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that, in truth, you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
- Kahlil Gibran
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Dec 8 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #22

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Kel, thank you soooooo much for sharing with us how you and your precious Lancelot are doing. Overall it is WONDERFUL NEWS, and I am soooooo happy for you and your preicous Lancelot. I know right now your heart is soaring seeing him do so well, and I hope and pray with all my heart that he will indeed have a remission from the cancer so that you both can continue to enjoy a healthy, happy earthly journey for many more years to come.

It is also a blessing having encouragement and assistance from the oncologist and the team 24 / 7. It sounds like they are doing everything in their power to keep the stress levels at a minimum for your precious Lancelot while he is receiving treatments, - - which also lowers YOUR stress levels.

And I am soooo happy that the hospital chaplain gave you a prayer blanket for your precious Lancelot. This is sooo sweet - - I know your precious little boy feels great comfort when he lays on it.

Kel, I hope his check up with his primary care physician for blood work will go well, and that his next oncology visit on 12/17 will go well - - that his oncology physician will be able to give you the greatest Christmas gift your heart is longing for: That your precious Lancelot is in remission and will give you a follow up schedule to make sure that he continues to do well. Please let us know how things go.

I hope today is treating you, your husband, and your precious Lancelot kindly, Kel, - - that each day will find your precious Lancelot feeling stronger and able to eat. You are so right that nourishment - - in whatever form that he can tolerate right now - - is what you need to give him. Please know you, your precious Lancelot, and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I look forward to knowing how your precious little boy and you and your husband are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 8 2012, 05:10 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,464

Kel, thank you so much for updating us on Lancelot's condition. I am so glad that he is doing better, and I will continue to pray for his recovery and remission. His prayer blanket is very special and that was a nice thing for them to do and give to you. Prayer changes things. It is so comforting to know that Lance has a great oncologist, and I agree with you that the car ride is definitely worth it. A great doctor can make so much of a difference.

I'm sorry to hear that Lance had such a bad episode with the fake fur blanket, but it's good to hear that he recovered and is eating well. Every bit helps. You could even boil some organic chicken for him. It doesn't take long. My mom used to do it for one of our dogs. And it would be healthy for him. Or you could give him some wild caught salmon (make sure it says wild caught and not Atlantic salmon on the package) if he likes fish.

I'm also glad to hear that he's getting used to being handled more and that they are treating him so well. He is definitely in good hands! I hope that all goes well for his next appointment, and it's good that he is handling the chemo so well. I've been praying for him to be able to tolerate the chemotherapy.

I can so relate to Lance being loud and grumpy at the vet. My Tina was probably close to a 8 or 9 on that scale! She hated going to the vet and she hated being handled and struck at the vet or the tech whenever she got a chance.

Kel, I hope that you will have a good Christmas with Lance.

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Dec 17 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #24

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, stopping by to let you know that your precious Lancelot and you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers today as your precious boy has his oncology appointment. I am sooooo hoping and praying that his medical review will bring each of you GREAT news. What a WONDERFL Christmas present that would be for you, your husband and your precious Lancelot!!! Please know we are here for you to share your news - - whatever it may be - - whenever possible.

Please know your precious Lancelot and you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers, Kel, that your travels will be safe today, and that I look forward to knowing how your precious Lancelot and you are doing whenever possible.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Dec 17 2012, 11:16 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (moon_beam @ Dec 17 2012, 11:24 AM) *
Hi, Kel, stopping by to let you know that your precious Lancelot and you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers today as your precious boy has his oncology appointment. I am sooooo hoping and praying that his medical review will bring each of you GREAT news. What a WONDERFL Christmas present that would be for you, your husband and your precious Lancelot!!! Please know we are here for you to share your news - - whatever it may be - - whenever possible.

Please know your precious Lancelot and you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers, Kel, that your travels will be safe today, and that I look forward to knowing how your precious Lancelot and you are doing whenever possible.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

Thank you so much for thinking of us, moon_beam (and Danny's Mom, for I see you also posted). I'm happy to say that although the oncologist wasn't quite ready to officially say he's in remission, she thinks that's where we're headed, still! Lance's weight was back up to his baseline, and he had a great couple of weeks between appointments. He's been eating well, playful, and... feisty! Apparently, he's getting back to his usual self at the vet... Uh oh! smile.gif The oncologist thought he was funny, in his rage. She said that he kept flipping around upside down trying to get them, even when they weren't touching him. As in, doing somersaults and flailing his big paws in the air.. it sounded like he was doing handstands. Also, the general consensus seems to be that even when he's being totally naughty (and fighting them), he's still super-cute.

The oncologist still doesn't feel any lymph nodes, and she can't feel his spleen. His blood counts were also good, she said. This week, he got vincristine, which is the med that he seems to do less well with. He tends to get very tired 2-4 days after it, and his appetite decreases a bit. She gave him Cerenia (an anti-nausea med) SQ after the chemo, and she sent us home with the oral version in case he had some nausea, and we have the cyproheptadine if his appetite falls off... and at least we sort of know what to expect this week. Next week is a week off, no bloodwork, but we're giving him his oral chemo (cytoxan), and then New Year's Eve is his next appointment. Two weeks after that, he's scheduled for an ultrasound to see if he really is in remission.

Remission or not, Lancelot had a fantastic two weeks, and honestly... that's more than I ever hoped for when he got diagnosed. I never imagined we'd reach week 6 with a cat who was his normal self. I questioned our decision to undergo chemo, and put him through any suffering, especially after that first week when he reacted so badly to anesthesia. Now, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was the right thing to do. Whatever happy, healthy time we can give him is a gift to us.

--------------------

When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that, in truth, you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Dec 18 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #26

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Lancelot and you and your husband are doing. I am SOOOOOOO happy for the good news you received yesterday from the oncologist. I know first hand how you feel when you share with us: "I questioned our decision to undergo chemo, and put him through any suffering, especially after that first week when he reacted so badly to anesthesia. Now, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was the right thing to do. Whatever happy, healthy time we can give him is a gift to us." I am sooooo very happy for you and your precious Lancelot. What a very merry holiday celebration you will have this year. I share in your joy, Kel.

It does sound like your precious Lancelot is feeling ever so much better with his high spirits returning. This is always a good indicator that our companions are feeling good. And after seeing him so very ill and not knowing how things would turn out, his high spirits are especially welcome.

I hope the next couple of weeks go well and that your precious Lancelot and you and your husband will be able to enjoy this respite before his next visit December 31. I know you will be holding your breath until you get the results of his ultrasound the week of January 14. Your precious Lancelot has come a long way since November 5 when you first began sharing your precious Lancelot's and your journey in this very scary health crisis. Please continue to know that you and your precious boy are close in thought and prayer that he will indeed be blessed with a full remission so that he and you and your husband can have a very happy, HEALTHY earthly journey together.

I hope today is treating you, your husband, and your precious Lancelot kindly, Kel. Please know you, your precious Lancelot, and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I look forward to knowing how your precious little boy and you and your husband are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 27 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #27

Kel, this is really good news! I'm glad Lance is doing so well, and I hope everything goes well next week at his checkup. You know he is in good hands, and it is a blessing that the doctors and staff care about him so much. Tina was given Cerenia a couple times, and it improved her appetite and made her real hungry. Hopefully it had the same effect on Lance as well.

He is such a brave little cat, and you are taking such good care of him. You know you did the right thing, and I'm happy with you that he is doing so much better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Dec 27 2012, 09:56 PM
Post #28

Danny's Mom and moon_beam, thank you so much. We had a lovely Christmas here, even though it was very difficult not having Pippin here with us this year. Lancelot and Earl Grey enjoyed their first Christmas very much! We unwrapped lots of kitty presents, and we were all spoiled senseless with treats.

Lance's past week has been really good. His appetite remains good, and he has been so active and playful! He's been downright feisty. This week, he got cytoxan, which is a pill he gets two days in a row - easy! He seems to be doing well with it so far.

All 5 cats decided they'd tolerate each other in the spirit of Christmas.

Lancelot has decided that bows are fashionable.

It was Earl Grey's first Christmas, too.

Princess Willow - she's the one who we thought might have kidney issues, but everything checked out fine at the beginning of the month. Isn't she pretty?

--------------------

- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Dec 27 2012, 09:57 PM
Post #29

And the rest of the pictures I'd wanted to share:

Strider, my little asthma cat. He's Lance's buddy.

Karma, the alpha male and my guy. He's an amazing comfort to me, when I'm missing Pippin. He insists on being near me if I'm upset, purrs and kneads and frets over me.

Lancelot says "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good bite!"

--------------------

- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Dec 28 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #30

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, thank you sooooo much for sharing with us how you and your precious Lancelot are doing - - and these wonderful pictures of your fur family members. I know your heart is soaring with joy to see your precious Lancelot doing and feeling so well, along with each of your precious companions. I'm sooo thrilled that Princess Willow's tests came back negative for kidney issues -- I know this takes a HUGE concern off your mind with Lancelot's medical needs. What a "happy, jolly Christmas" you, your husband, and all of your precious companions had this year!! May the coming year be one of good health, much happiness, and prosperity in many blessings for you, your husband, Lancelot, Princess Willow, Earl Grey, Karma, and Strider.

I hope today is treating you, your husband, your precious Lancelot, and all your precious companions kindly, Kel. Please know you, your husband, your precious Lancelot, and all of your precious fur family are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I look forward to knowing how your precious little boy and you and your husband are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 29 2012, 05:10 PM
Post #31

Kel, those are PRECIOUS pictures!!! smile.gif Thank you so much for sharing them with us. They brought a big smile to my face! Lance looks so handsome with that purple bow on his head, very festive! smile.gif Earl Grey is very handsome. I bet you love stroking his soft, long fur. And Strider seems very sweet. Miss Willow sure is a pretty cat. Shelley's one kitten is a dilute calico just like your Miss Willow. I hope she does hold her own against all the "boys" in the household! smile.gif

I am glad that Karma is such a comfort to you. What a handsome big ginger boy kitty! It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas with your fur tribe and I can tell they are loved very much! I had a quiet Christmas with my "girls" and could have used a couple more days off, but I had to go back to work the next day. Shelley and Mindy both got a little toy for Christmas and they were very happy with them.

I hope all goes well with Lancelot's checkup next week.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Dec 29 2012, 05:27 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 6,946

Hello Kell

My, what a good looking fur tribe you have there. Lancelot, Strider, Earl Grey, Karma, and Princess Willow. Lovely names. I'm glad Lancelot is doing better and that you were all able to have a nice Christmas. I just had to comment how much your Karma looks like my Tang. And even though Lancelot is a boy cat, with a spot of black on his head, he'd look a lot like my Theresa. (right down to the biteys, LOL) Hope life is treating you all very kindly today.

T

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Jan 15 2013, 02:47 PM
Post #33

Once again, thanks to everyone for all the support. I'm glad you enjoyed the Christmas pictures of my little fur tribe!

So, yesterday was the beginning of week 10 of Lancelot's chemotherapy. We were supposed to have the abdominal ultrasound to find out if he's in remission, but the vet who does them was out with the flu. We're really disappointed, but of course we'd much rather not get the flu!

The oncologist says that Lancelot "looks great." He's back up to/above his baseline weight, weighing in at 12.06 lbs. He got down as low as 11 lbs, in the first couple weeks after his diagnosis/at the start of treatment. His lymph nodes are normal, and his liver and spleen feel normal. This week, he got vincristine, and next week, we'll give him his oral cytoxan. Lance was pretty tired yesterday, but he perked up around 2 AM (since I work evenings, we keep late hours!) and played.

So, we've rescheduled the ultrasound for 1/28. Pippin died on January 27th, last year, so I'm a bit anxious about the timing - and I know I'll be a bit of a wreck. Meh. I just keep reminding myself to take things one day at a time, since it's all I can do.

I have to admit, though... when Lance was first diagnosed, I never thought we'd get 10 more weeks with him, let alone 10 really good weeks. I am so deeply appreciative for them, and I'm so touched by how this ferocious little cat has dealt with all of this. When he first came to us in April, he was completely untrusting, terrified and angry. Now, he will eat treats from my fingers, gentle as can be. He'll take his pills from my fingers that way, too. If we ask him to give us kisses, he will lift his head up and touch his nose to our lips. Sure, he still has his grumpy moments, but he has just blossomed so much. I'm praying for a miracle here, because Lance deserves a long life of being loved - and I'm trying hard not to think too far ahead. Sometimes I feel like there's a sword hanging over our head, but I'm just trying to appreciate the good days and enjoy them while they last. I really hate that he's sick.

For now, though, I'm just going to enjoy our funny, sweet little boy.

--------------------

- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Jan 15 2013, 03:44 PM
Post #34

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, thank you so very much for sharing with us how you and your precious Lancelot are doing. I can so understand your being disappointed about having to postpone the ultrasound, and I can most certainly understand your apprehension about the timing for it to occur. I firmly believe that your beloved Pippin is doing his best to watch over you and your precious Lancelot, and I'm sending you and your precious Lancelot my heartfelt thoughts and prayers that the ultrasound will confirm he is in remission, and that he will be able to have a long, happy, and healthy earthly journey with you, your husband, and his housemates.

Thank you so much for sharing your precious Lancelot with us, Kel, and this sweet wonderful picture of him. He is so adorable. I hope today is treating you, your husband, your precious Lancelot, and all your precious companions kindly, Kel. Please know you, your husband, your precious Lancelot, and all of your precious fur family are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I look forward to knowing how your precious little boy and you and your husband are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jan 16 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #35

Kel, thanks so much for sharing with us how Lancelot is doing. This picture of him is sooo precious! He sure is a very handsome kitty boy, and he is looking good! I was worried about him since we hadn't heard from you in a while, and I thought maybe things aren't going so well. So it just made my heart glad to see your post tonight. I am very happy that he is responding so well to treatment and that he has blossomed so much. He knows he is loved and that you are getting him the best care. I'm sorry to hear about the timing for Lance's ultrasound, we will be thinking of you. The first angelversary is hard.

Hugs,
DannysMom

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Jan 24 2013, 11:35 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 7,430

Hi Kel

I have just read your whole story. I am so sorry what you and your Lancelot have had to go through especially over Christmas and so soon after losing your precious Pippin. I read the post with anxiety as I waited to see if there was any good updates and It made me smile to see how strong he has been and how well it was going. I have my fingers crossed that he is remission and look forward to hearing your next update. Be strong. Sounds like Lancelot it being absolutely brilliant about the whole thing too!

Take care

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Jan 27 2013, 12:14 AM
Post #37

QUOTE (xxForeverxx @ Jan 24 2013, 11:35 AM) *
Hi Kel

I have just read your whole story. I am so sorry what you and your Lancelot have had to go through especially over Christmas and so soon after losing your precious Pippin. I read the post with anxiety as I waited to see if there was any good updates and It made me smile to see how strong he has been and how well it was going. I have my fingers crossed that he is remission and look forward to hearing your next update. Be strong. Sounds like Lancelot it being absolutely brilliant about the whole thing too!

Take care

xxForeverxx

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. Lancelot goes for his ultrasound Monday - we're pretty anxious about it, especially with today being Pippin's one-year angelversary. Thank you for reading everything and thinking of us.

--------------------

- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Jan 28 2013, 01:27 PM
Post #38

Forum Moderator

Hi, Kel, stopping by to let you know you, your precious Lancelot, and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers today as your precious Lancelot undergoes the ultrasound which will hopefully confirm the cancer is in remission. Please know we are here for you to share whatever your news may be - - and hopefully to celebrate good news.

Peace and blessings,
moo_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Jan 28 2013, 02:48 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (moon_beam @ Jan 28 2013, 01:27 PM) *
Hi, Kel, stopping by to let you know you, your precious Lancelot, and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers today as your precious Lancelot undergoes the ultrasound which will hopefully confirm the cancer is in remission. Please know we are here for you to share whatever your news may be - - and hopefully to celebrate good news.

Peace and blessings,
moo_beam

Moon_beam,

Thank you so much for thinking of us! We're disappointed with today's ultrasound results, but probably more disappointed than we ought to be. The worst news is that his spleen isn't "normal" yet. The oncologist kind of waffled and said a couple times that it might not even be changes from the lymphoma (and she doesn't sugar-coat, I don't think). It is, however, better than it was when he was diagnosed. The good news is, though, that his liver is back to normal, and the lymph nodes in his belly that were abnormal are no longer visible on ultrasound. So the word is partial remission. He may or may not get a full remission. Unfortunately, she said partial remissions tend to last about 6 months, while full remissions last around a year. I'm trying not to find that too discouraging. It's more than we thought we'd ever get, and who knows what the next six months will hold? He's surprised us (pleasantly) already.

Other than that, his exam is great. No lymph nodes under his jaw, his weight is up even MORE (so he's above his baseline). She even said: "I don't give the fat cat lecture. If he's gaining weight, it's good." So, amusingly, I guess really *is* a little on the pudgy side. I take that as an overwhelmingly good sign about how he's doing with his lymphoma and the chemo. She reminded us that although it's a partial remission right now, he's doing wonderfully, and that's what we need to focus on. And I have to remind myself, 6 months remission doesn't necessarily mean 6 months *left*.

So... we're disappointed, even though we got largely good news.

--------------------

- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Jan 28 2013, 02:48 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (moon_beam @ Jan 28 2013, 01:27 PM) *

Peace and blessings,
moo_beam

Moon_beam,

Thank you so much for thinking of us! We're disappointed with today's ultrasound results, but probably more disappointed than we ought to be. The worst news is that his spleen isn't "normal" yet. The oncologist kind of waffled and said a couple times that it might not even be changes from the lymphoma (and she doesn't sugar-coat, I don't think). It is, however, better than it was when he was diagnosed. The good news is, though, that his liver is back to normal, and the lymph nodes in his belly that were abnormal are no longer visible on ultrasound. So the word is partial remission. He may or may not get a full remission. Unfortunately, she said partial remissions tend to last about 6 months, while full remissions last around a year. I'm trying not to find that too discouraging. It's more than we thought we'd ever get, and who knows what the next six months will hold? He's surprised us (pleasantly) already.

Other than that, his exam is great. No lymph nodes under his jaw, his weight is up even MORE (so he's above his baseline). She even said: "I don't give the fat cat lecture. If he's gaining weight, it's good." So, amusingly, I guess really *is* a little on the pudgy side. I take that as an overwhelmingly good sign about how he's doing with his lymphoma and the chemo. She reminded us that although it's a partial remission right now, he's doing wonderfully, and that's what we need to focus on. And I have to remind myself, 6 months remission doesn't necessarily mean 6 months *left*.

So... we're disappointed, even though we got largely good news.

--------------------

- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:54 AM