4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Miss Mindy Is Sick
DannysMom
post Jul 29 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,464

My sweet Miss Mindy is sick. She hasn't been herself these past few days. I noticed her eating less and starting to hide under my bed a lot. Then when she does come out she acts restless and wags her tail a lot and can't sit still much. She spent the whole afternoon yesterday hiding under my bed and only came out late last night. Tonight when I came home she ate just a bit and then went to hide again. So, I took her to the emergency vet. They did x-rays, blood work, and a pancreatitis test. Everything is normal. CBC count is normal, test for pancreatitis is negative, x-rays are fine, no tumors, no masses. Her stomach was empty on the x-ray and she showed a lot of gas in her small intestines, but evenly distributed. She was slightly dehydrated. She has also gained almost another half pound and is up to 12.94 pounds. Sigh!

The vet said it looks like Mindy is having some gastroenteritis. They gave her some fluids, anti-nausea meds and an antacid and meds for me to take home. She's had an episode a few months ago when she had some tummy troubles and got put on antacid and got better. But back then she wasn't hiding like she is now. Even though everything came back normal I still worry about her and I have no idea what is causing this. Maybe she just has a sensitive tummy. Mindy definitely needs to lose weight and I'm at a loss as to what else to do. I'm already feeding her lo-cal canned food and lo-carb dry food and I do watch her portions. If anyone knows of any good weight loss foods by all means share it with me. Mindy is not very active to begin with so it's kinda hard to get her to lose the extra weight, but she is at the point where she HAS to lose it. I'm just so worried about my little girl. When she started hiding and acting strange and eating less I feared the worst and was prepared for the worst kind of news at the vet. Does anyone know what good be causing her to have this excess gas in her intestines?

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Jul 30 2013, 07:50 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,946

Oh, DannysMom

I am SO sorry to hear about Miss Mindy's difficulties. I'm afraid I do not know any more than what your vet has told you. Could you get another opinion? I will keep her and you in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how she is doing. Take care.

TTT

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Jul 30 2013, 08:56 AM
Post #3

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, DannysMom, please permit me to add my sincerest comfort to you during this time of great concern for your precious Mindy. Our precious companions' physical bodies are subject to the same ailments as our human physical bodies. So, they too deal with gas in their intestines. As with our bodies when they eat something that is not agreeing with us or they feel more stress for whatever reason or other unknown factors arise gastric upsets can occur. The fact that the gas in her intestines is evenly distributed is good, - - with the caution of course that excessive gas can pose problems if not helped along the intestinal tract. You did the very best thing for your precious Mindy by taking her to the ER vet for tests and evaluation. The antacid will help with the gas in her digestive tract along with the other meds the ER vet gave you. And as Tracy has so appropriately encouraged you, if you have any doubts it is within your prerogative to seek a second opinion.

I truly identify with your precious Mindy's dilemma as my beloved beautiful baby girl Abbygayle had the same challenge - - as do some of the human population including me. The only encouragement I can offer you is to continue to work with her veterinary care provider on her weight issue. There are many advances coming to light about causes for weight challenges in people, and some of these advances may also apply to our precious companions. Talk to your veterinary care provider again. When my beloved Oslo was having his many delicate health challenges his veterinary care provider went onto a blog she belongs to to seek information on certain meds and procedures from her peers before she changed or added medication or performed a procedure on him - - not because she felt incapable of providing his medical care but rather to seek the counsel of her peers first in her effort to fulfill her Veterinary Oath - - "First Do No Harm". Perhaps your veterinary care provider has access to identical veterinary websites where he can seek the counsel of his peers with regard to your precious Mindy.

I hope your precious Mindy is feeling better today - -which I know will help YOU to feel better as well. Please know your precious Mindy and you, and your precious Shelley, are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jul 30 2013, 05:49 PM
Post #4

Tom's Dad, thanks for thinking of us. Sadly, Mindy is not doing any better today. She even hissed at Shelley tonight when she just wanted to get some lovin' from Mindy. And she has NEVER done that before. Mindy likes grooming Shelley. I can tell my little girl is in pain because of her constant hiding. When she does come out of hiding she is very agitated and her tail wags back and forth and she can't seem to settle down. She'll walk around nervously only to go back into hiding under my bed. I am so worried about her! My regular vet suggested waiting for the meds to take effect before bringing her in. They also gave me buprenorphine to relieve her pain, but that can cause gastric upset so I really don't know why they gave me that. It is more of a narcotic painkiller that lowers the respiratory rate and makes them sleepy. I am giving Mindy probiotics now to help with her excess gas.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jul 30 2013, 05:59 PM
Post #5

moon_beam, thanks for stopping by and for your suggestions. I think the ER vet did a really thorough job and I was happy with that. My regular vet doesn't even want to see her just yet, but how long is it supposed to take for these meds to work??? This is driving me crazy and I was so worried about Mindy all day. When I came home the ER vet called and they asked about Mindy. They're more concerned than my regular vet! I think the antacid they gave her last night helped some as she did eat a good portion of food later on. But during the night she was so agitated and restless. She would lie down on the bed with me and start grooming herself only to get agitated and jump off the bed again. She did this like four, five times in a row and it had me so worried I didn't sleep well. This morning she didn't do her favorite activity which is looking out the window. She NEVER misses that so I know she is not feeling well!!! She didn't even eat any food this morning before I left, but tonight after I got home she ate some and had a normal bowel movement after that. But right after going potty she went to hide under the bed again. Even though all the blood work came back normal I am still worried about Mindy. She's never gone into hiding like this before. I am thinking about ordering some digestive support pills online and see if those help. I started giving her probiotics last night.

You can't imagine how upsetting this is for me to see Mindy like this. Early this morning she laid down beside me on the bed and just wanted to be comforted. She enjoyed it when I petted her and just talked to her. My poor girl so much wanted to be comforted. She's had gas before, but not like this where she goes into hiding and is uninterested in her favorite activities.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Jul 30 2013, 08:32 PM
Post #6

DannysMom

I'm so sorry to hear Miss Mindy is still in distress. I know from experience that antacid really does not do anything for gas in humans; I would imagine it's the same for cats. There is anti-gas medicine for humans (simethicone) Perhaps you can ask the vet if there is something similar for cats? I'm sure the probiotics help some. I know you say the blood work came back normal, but what about x-rays for some kind of blockage. I'm just trying to think of things to help. I have asked Theresa and Tang to say special kitty prayers for her. And of course both of you and Shelley are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how she is doing. Blessings.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jul 30 2013, 08:35 PM
Post #7

I am just beside myself. I broke down and cried and cried and cried. I am so worried about Mindy. I am afraid that I might lose her, that she's going to die. I remember how Tina used to hide under the bed all the time in the weeks before she died and Mindy doing the same thing is freaking me out. She came out for a few minutes and sat up and did some scratching, but when Shelley jumped on the bed she went hiding again. It's like she's hiding from Shelley and she didn't used to do that. They are best friends and Shelley is a gentle cat. I've read that cats hide when they are in pain and so weak that they can't defend themselves. That scared me. Even though her blood work was normal and the x-ray didn't show anything unusual I am still worried. I spent some time sitting by the bed and Mindy came close to the edge and allowed me to pet her. In fact she seemed to enjoy it very much and liked my company. She rubbed her head on my hand and looked at me with those beautiful golden eyes and that touched my heart so much. She gently placed a paw on my arm and laid her head on my hand. She even rolled around playfully, but when I went to rub her tummy she gave me a warning bite. So I know her tummy is real tender and the gas is causing her pain. I think I may just take her back to Bay Beach and see what else they can do for her. It breaks my heart that she is still hiding so much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Jul 31 2013, 08:00 AM
Post #8

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, I can very well imagine how worried you are about your precious Mindy. When our precious companion's behaviors change so negatively so radically that truly is a call for action. If I may offer you a word of caution - - you need to be careful how much "additional" meds you give her - - even holistic remedies / preventives - - because this, too, can add misery to an already sensitive digestive system. Sometimes when we are doing the right thing it can be at the "wrong time". It may be better to wait to add the holistic preventives after she is over whatever is causing her current distress. It's just a thought - - for whatever it may be worth. I think you are very wise to continue to seek veterinary care for your precious little girl as you as her Forever Mom know her the best.

I hope you and your precious Mindy and Shelley were able to get some rest last night, and that this morning your precious Mindy is doing better. Please know you and your precious Mindy, and Shelley, are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how your precious girl Mindy is doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jul 31 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Tom's Dad @ Jul 30 2013, 09:32 PM) *
DannysMom

I'm so sorry to hear Miss Mindy is still in distress. I know from experience that antacid really does not do anything for gas in humans; I would imagine it's the same for cats. There is anti-gas medicine for humans (simethicone) Perhaps you can ask the vet if there is something similar for cats? I'm sure the probiotics help some. I know you say the blood work came back normal, but what about x-rays for some kind of blockage. I'm just trying to think of things to help. I have asked Theresa and Tang to say special kitty prayers for her. And of course both of you and Shelley are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how she is doing. Blessings.

TTT

Tom's Dad, thanks for your suggestion about the anti-gas medicine. I've been looking for digestive support for cats online. Apparently they can have gas if the food is not properly digested and that's where the probiotics and digestive enzymes come in. They did do an x-ray on Mindy but found no blockage, just gas.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jul 31 2013, 05:49 PM
Post #10

moon_beam, thanks for the word of caution, but I really do think probiotics and digestive enzymes will help. Cats can have gas if their food is not properly digested and most cats foods lack digestive enzymes because the kibble gets cooked at such high temps that the enzymes don't survive. I did a lot of research on what's causing gas in cats and it seems to me that giving her probiotics and digestive enzymes will help not harm her. But I appreciate your caution. I'm just so distraught over my poor Mindy's condition and want to help her.

Last night Mindy woke me up when I heard her meowing loudly. She came and hopped on the bed and snuggled with me. She even did come out for a while last night and laid down in the dining room. I put her up by the window and she looked out the window for a while. This morning Mindy and Shelley both came to greet me in the bedroom and Shelley was sniffing on Mindy which didn't seem to bother her. But later on Mindy hissed at Shelley when she came near her, twice! She just didn't want anything to do with Shelley and normally they are best friends. Mindy sat in the window for a while this morning and watched the birds and I almost breathed a sigh of relief, but she abandoned the window seat after just a few minutes and went into hiding again. Mindy didn't mind getting her tummy rubbed this morning so I take that as a good sign. Still, this evening she went into hiding as soon as I came up the stairs. She came out just a few minutes ago, meowed to make her presence known and ate some food.

I am very very distressed about her behavior change toward Shelley. It's so sad that she hissed at her. I just feel so helpless in dealing with this situation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Jul 31 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #11

Hello DannysMom

Thank you for letting us know how your precious Mindy is doing. It sounds like she is making some progress, but I certainly understand your concern. Especially in her short temper with Shelley; poor girl must be wondering what she did wrong. You mentioned taking her back to Bay Beach. Have you been able to consult with them at all? I do hope she feels better soon. We will all keep her, Shelley and you in our thoughts and prayers. Take care.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jul 31 2013, 08:24 PM
Post #12

Tom's Dad, I remembered I had some Gas-X at home, so I cut off a tiny sliver for Mindy and gave it to her in a pill pocket. She took it, but I guess I'll have to wait and see what it does for her. She did come out again, but stayed to herself and did not come into the living room where I was with Shelley. I was able to keep her out here by playing with her for a bit, but when I stopped playing she went under the bed again. She acts like she is feeling a bit better, but it bothers me that she still keeps to herself. Bay Beach said I can bring her back anytime. I think I will give it another day and see how she does before taking her back in. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers and thank Tang and Theresa for their special kitty prayers! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Aug 1 2013, 07:21 AM
Post #13

Hello DannysMom

Thank you for letting us know how Miss Mindy is doing. You may want to be careful about giving her even small doses of human meds before checking with the vet. It sounds like she's doing a little better each day. As for hissing at Shelley, maybe it's something other than not feeling well. Is there anything different or new around the home? Any new smells? I can understand it's distressing that Mindy is pushing away her friend. Perhaps the vet can shed some light on that too. Meanwhile, we will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers (both kitty and human) Take care.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 1 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #14

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Mindy, and Shelley, are doing. I do so empathize with you in your concern about the drastic change in your precious Mindy's health and behavior. There is no doubt that SOMETHING is / has definitely happened. Part of the distress we experience as their caregivers is that our precious companions cannot tell us in a common language what happened or where they hurt.

One thing that stands out at me about Mindy's not enjoying looking outside - - I'm wondering if she saw something that frightened her so much that she is now terribly frightened - - thus causing her to seek shelter under the bed for refuge. And whatever she saw frightened her soooo much that is has caused extreme stress which has upset her digestive system. It's just a thought - - may or may not be helpful or useful.

The good news is that she seems to be responding to your attempts to comfort and reassure her, and hopefully she will once again find comfort with her sister Shelley. Whatever happened / is happening, there is no doubt that she is blessed to have you for her Forever Mom.

I also know all too well what it is like to have to go to a job all day long when your heart longs to be home with your precious Mindy, and Shelley, as your precious Mindy needs you. I hope today is treating you and your precious Mindy and Shelley kindly, and that this morning finds your precious Mindy doing better. Please know you and your precious Mindy, and Shelley, are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how your precious girl Mindy is doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 1 2013, 05:32 PM
Post #15

Tom's Dad, I did some research on the Gas-X and it is safe to give them, in the infant formula that has no dyes. So I picked some up at the drugstore today. Late last night I saw Mindy out on the stairs with Shelley and she seemed comfortable. During the night Mindy snuggled on the bed with me again. This morning things were looking up a bit more. Mindy was up and about and she did sit by the window for a while, watching the birds. Only when I left for work did she go hide under the bed again. Tonight when I came home she greeted me at the top of the stairs and nibbled on some food. I gave her the antacid and 1/2 a probiotic tablet. She didn't eat much though and soon went under the bed again. So, a bit later I gave her an appetite stimulant from the ER vet. I'm hoping she comes out later so I can give her some more Gas-X. They can get 0.1 ml which is safe for them.

Moon_beam, thank you for suggesting that something might have frightened her. You could very well be right. Although this morning she did look outside and seemed to enjoy it. But she doesn't sit with me and Shelley in the living room like she used to. She'd always be close by, and now she stays away and hides. I don't know if something disturbed her or she witnessed something very upsetting. The only thing that's changed is that my neighbor below seems to be away and it's quieter with the dog not barking (which I don't mind). That's really the only thing I can think of. Mindy seems happy enough when I come visit her in her hideout and she enjoys being petted. She even crawled out from under the bed and looked out through the balcony door, but then when I opened the door she was unsure and went back into hiding. I'm wondering if my other neighbor's obnoxious teenage son maybe tried to climb up on my balcony. School is out and he is home during the day. I don't know that he would really try that, but then again...

I just feel so sad when Mindy is not out here with us. I really do miss her presence and her sweet little face.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 1 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #16

Just a quick update on Miss Mindy...she came out and ate some food and I gave her a drop of Gas-X in her mouth. I asked her to open her mouth and she did and I squirted the drop right in. It seemed to help her as she stayed out and I played a round of "chase the teaser" with her which she enjoyed. She even sniffed on Shelley, but then I heard her hiss at Shelley again when they were both downstairs by the door. Shelley backed into a corner and looked at Mindy as if to say:"I meant no harm, sis'". Mindy went potty and came back upstairs and sat on my lap for a while. Then she hopped on the couch and is still curled up there, napping. I think the Gas-X liquid really must have helped. I will give that to her until I get the digestive enzymes in.

I also talked to Mindy and tried to calm her down and told her that she is safe here. She purred so much while she was on my lap. It makes me feel so much better that she came out and is here with me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Aug 2 2013, 01:44 PM
Post #17

DannysMom

Thank for letting us know how Miss Mindy is doing. It sounds like she's making fairly good progress. It's a little disheartening that she is still hissing at poor Shelley. Perhaps as she starts to feel better that will stop, hopefully. Are you still going to have her checked out at the vet again? I hope today is treating you all very kindly. Take care.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 2 2013, 02:04 PM
Post #18

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Mindy is doing. There is no doubt you are doing everything in your power to comfort her and help her to feel better. I'm hoping and praying that whatever has happened to upset her will soon be resolved.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Mindy and Shelley kindly, and that your precious Mindy is doing better. Please know you and your precious Mindy, and Shelley, are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how your precious girl Mindy is doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Aug 3 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #19

Tom's Dad and moon_beam, thank you both for your concern about my sweet Mindy. It was disheartening to see her hide again yesterday morning and not sitting in the window. A few minutes after I gave her the probiotic pill for cats she started to get the twitchy tail again and jumped up a few times and then ran into the bedroom again to hide. Last night she ate good and did come out and lay at the top of the stairs which is part of her usual routine. When I went to bed she came to snuggled and started licking herself and getting all twitchy again so I talked to her and petted her and told her that it's okay. That calmed her down and she did the sweetest thing...she snuggled close to my arm and laid her head on my arm and touched me with her paw. Of course I thought about feline hyperesthesia symptom, so I did some research and watched a video on what that looks like in a cat, but it's not what Mindy does. I read it could also be a sign of dehydration or lack of magnesium or simply stress. She seems to be okay when I talk to her and pet her and calm her down. She was so thankful that she happily snuggled with me all night. This morning she even tried to initiate play with Shelley when Shelley jumped on the bed and sniffed at Mindy. When I got up Mindy thought about hiding but changed her mind and sat in the window instead. She did eat some dry food and so far she seems to be okay. Last night when we were still up she had another episode of the twitchy tail and so I talked to her and calmed her down. I remember that in the weeks before she was hiding constantly she started to hide under the bed for a bit at a time, but I didn't think anything of it.

Tom's Dad, I haven't taken her back to the vet yet. I'm going to watch her this weekend and see how she does. Mindy and I had a good game of "teaser chase" last night and I think that helped her too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Aug 3 2013, 03:22 PM
Post #20

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Mindy, and Shelley, are doing. It sounds like your precious Mindy is responding to your comforting encouragement, and this is very good news - - evidenced by her snuggling with you and playing "teaser chase". Encouraging her to do things she used to do is a great help to her.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Mindy and Shelley kindly, and that your precious Mindy is doing better. Please know you and your precious Mindy, and Shelley, are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how your precious girl Mindy is doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:50 AM