Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Twister, 1st big dog
Dusty Moonrise
post May 2 2010, 09:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 5,909

Just a couple of days after the tornado ripped through a nearby community, I spotted a puppy running down the side of the highway near where utility crews were working trying to restore power. the puppy ran out into the road just as a utility vehicle was coming. Although the puppy was not run over, the wind from the truck bowled him over several times. I stopped and rescued him. After several days of inquiry, I have yet to find the owner, so it looks as though I have adopted him! From my best guestimates, since he hasn't yet got even all of his baby teeth, and the fact that he is trying to gnaw down the entire house as well as my Peekapoo, I think he is around 8 weeks old. And, as he is already a good 10 lbs, he is going to be a very large dog! In less than a year, I have gone from a three and a half pound chihuahua, (MISS you SO MUCH, Bitsy!) to something that seems to have "horse" DNA in its genetic heritage!

Help, Lord!

Andy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smokey/lady/max
post May 6 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,258

Hi Andy
That is a wonderful story and I am so glad you have decided to keep the puppy. They say things happen for a reason and I think you were meant to be there at that moment. Please post some pictures of your new found rescue. We all here would love to see him. Angels are sent in mysterous ways.

Hugs to you and your new puppy
P.S. What have you named him

Hugs
Anna

+Quote Post
Muffins
post May 7 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 245

Hi Andy:

It seems as though you and the puppy wub.gif are meant to be! I'm happy that he wasn't hurt and found his way into your loving arms.

We would all love to see him when you're able to post some photos.

Much love, peace & blessings to you and yours,

Denise

--------------------
Our Beloved Girl, Ernestine (AKA) "Ernie-Bird"
April, 1984 - February 7, 2004
***AFFA***
Forever, you will ALWAYS live on in our hearts!
DEPARTED FROM EARTH, NEVER FORGOTTEN.... Love, Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post
Dusty Moonrise
post May 11 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (smokey/lady/max @ May 6 2010, 08:53 PM) *
Hi Andy
That is a wonderful story and I am so glad you have decided to keep the puppy. They say things happen for a reason and I think you were meant to be there at that moment. Please post some pictures of your new found rescue. We all here would love to see him. Angels are sent in mysterous ways.

Hugs to you and your new puppy
P.S. What have you named him

Hugs
Anna
Hey, folks, sorry I haven't posted again before now...the community has been so busy getting back together after the tornado. And, speaking of tornados, I named the pup "twister" because of the circumstances I found him in, and the fact that he does not "wag" his tail, but twists it to one side!

Any suggestions as to what breed he is (besides clydesdale!) would be greatly appreciated!

Andy

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
janika
post May 11 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,120

Hi Andy
Thanks for showing us the photo of Twister (great name name by the way). What a gorgeous boy. I feel so happy that you found each other.
Love Jan and Pixie and my Angels x

+Quote Post
smokey/lady/max
post May 14 2010, 02:08 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,258

Hi Andy
He is so darn cute. And the name is just wonderful. I dont know what he is but I can see he has some good size paws.
Thank you for shareing him with us. I sure wish the wind would blow one my way.

Take care and give Twister a big hug and kiss from me.

Hugs
Anna and My Angels
xo

+Quote Post
Dusty Moonrise
post Jun 1 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Dusty Moonrise @ May 11 2010, 11:56 AM) *
Hey, folks, sorry I haven't posted again before now...the community has been so busy getting back together after the tornado. And, speaking of tornados, I named the pup "twister" because of the circumstances I found him in, and the fact that he does not "wag" his tail, but twists it to one side!

Any suggestions as to what breed he is (besides clydesdale!) would be greatly appreciated!

Andy

Just four short weeks later, and Twister is up to 25 lbs.! He looks to be part St. Bernard...anybody have any guesses?

Andy

+Quote Post
Flossie's Mom
post Jun 1 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,211

Andy,

I think you have guessed right (both of your suggestions) Clydsdale and St. Bernard!

He sure is a cutie................ so glad he found you. Bitsy must have had a hand in it.

Ginger

+Quote Post
Dusty Moonrise
post Jun 2 2010, 08:47 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Flossie's Mom @ Jun 1 2010, 10:28 PM) *
Andy,

I think you have guessed right (both of your suggestions) Clydsdale and St. Bernard!

He sure is a cutie................ so glad he found you. Bitsy must have had a hand in it.

Ginger
Thanks, Ginger! I really needed a change from Bitsy, because I really don't think I could have loved another "totally dependent on Daddy" dog so soon after her. I would have been constantly, and unfairly comparing the new chi to her. Both Fancy, my fiercly independent Jack Russell Terror (deliberately misspelt to reflect her character!), and Twister, the incredible expanding dog, have both fit the bill entirely! I will never forget my little Bitsy, but it was time for me to show love to other furry little friends! (Although "little" will very rapidly cease to be the correct word to use in Twister's case!). Max, my wife's Peekapoo, has been a constant source of humor, love, and dependability of character to the both of us.

Andy

+Quote Post
Flossie's Mom
post Jun 2 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,211

I understand the not needing another dependant dog..... my Flossie had back surgery at 3-1/2 that only gave her a 40% chance to ever walk again. She did and continued on for another 14 years. Let me tell you if she even stumbled I was a wreck! She had mostly good ability but would have some flare ups now and then but she was a real trooper. Then we had kidney stones, 2 major surgeries in a week, kidney removed, specila food from then on (age 11), extremely low blood platelets, steriods for that, infected teeth, removed several, but she kept on truckin'.

I did not want ANY more animals for a while but that did not happen. Along came a little bundle of energy and adopted us. One of the sweetest dogs ever, NOTHING like Flossie who was a poodle (I've had 2 purebreds & 2 poodle mixes).

By little, I mean she WAS little.... 10 lbs but now 20. Not in the time frame of your Twister and she won't get any bigger. She is overweight for her size so we have to get serious about that. Now she has a bad knee that pops out so I am concerned about that. Rest for 2 weeks. GOOD LUCK!!!! She is a handfull if she does not get to run alongside the scooter for a few miles everyday and chase rabbits, squirrels etc. Fortunately she is good on a leash but out here in the country she is not too happy with the restraint.

It's probably nice to have a change in type of dog even though Bitsy will always be in your heart. Same breed of dog sometimes would make us compare them more so than a totally different breed will. Our Poodles were all a bit different even though some basic similaraties were also present.

Keep the stories and pictures coming. It is so nice t hear about the new loves in a persons life after such a great loss.

Ginger

+Quote Post
Rhapsedy
post Jun 2 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,273

I was going to say St. Bernard but he is definitely a mix, but I'm not sure of what. He is so cute!!!!

+Quote Post
Cheryl83
post Jun 8 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,508

Just reading this topic and wondering if you have an update on how you are getting on with Twister? How big is he now? Such a gorgeous boy!

Cheryl

--------------------
It broke our hearts to lose you, but you didn't go alone,
For parts of us went with you ... the day God called you home

My beautiful Angel, Daisy - I will love and miss you forever xx

+Quote Post
Dusty Moonrise
post Jun 22 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Cheryl83 @ Jun 8 2010, 01:51 PM) *
Just reading this topic and wondering if you have an update on how you are getting on with Twister? How big is he now? Such a gorgeous boy!

Cheryl

Sorry all for not posting in a while...shift changes, making summer plans, etc... Here is a pic of both my 12lb. Jack Russell Terror, Fancy, and Twister, who is as of today 34 lbs.! Would love to know exactly what his makeup is!

Andy
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
janika
post Jun 22 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6,120

Whatever he is Andy he sure is gorgeous, so is Fancy, bless them. We're not sure what our rescue dog Pixie is either, she's still growing, and as Margi (Ladywolf) says she is like a small horse, but she is a gentle giant (35kgs at the moment) .
Jan and My Angels and Pixie x

+Quote Post
Cheryl83
post Jun 23 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,508

Hi Andy,

Nice to hear from you again, and thanks for sharing that wonderful picture! They are both adorable! Wow, Twister really is going to be a big boy smile.gif

Take care,

Cheryl

--------------------
It broke our hearts to lose you, but you didn't go alone,
For parts of us went with you ... the day God called you home

My beautiful Angel, Daisy - I will love and miss you forever xx

+Quote Post
Dusty Moonrise
post Jul 22 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #16

40 lbs. as of last weighing, and just now beginning to lose his baby teeth (top two canines, or "fangs"). Five months old, maybe? And still growing. Gonna have to get: 1) a new pet bed, 2) a new pet door, 3) a larger lap (see 1!). Seriously, I don't know what Twister's lineage is, but he is livin' large already!

Two pics showing my full grown JR Terror, Fancy, and Twister in the bed they argue over! Maybe Twister is a Cuckoo!
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dusty Moonrise
post Mar 12 2012, 04:55 AM
Post #17

Just an update on Twister. He has become a constant source of comfort to me after losing Fancy. Although he is a (SSSSHHHH!) mutt, he is probably one of the most intelligent dogs I have ever had. Since my last post, he has gained his full weight of about 80 lbs. What is funny is watching him play with my wife's dachshund, Teeny, and my Jackrat, Peanut. Thanks to all who commented, and sorry for not posting in so long. My dial-up had gotten to the point of unusable. Photo of Twister, Max, and my wife....wait, did I put that in the right order?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:41 AM