IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Harley, I have no clue where to write this one!
Ken Albin
post Sep 12 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 854

It has been a month now since this happened and the emotional and physical wounds have healed to the point that I can write about it. I decided to put it here because in a way this is a new beginning or at least a second chance for the dog Harley.

Harley is our next door neighbor's mixed breed dog. He was adopted by them from the pound and put in an invisible fence. I think he may be part pit bull from his appearance. Anyway, my wife Karen had just come home from helping out with cat adoptions. She found out about a cat that had been found in the neighborhood and she went next door to ask them if they knew anyone who was missing a cat. Unknown to her the neighbors had Harley in the back yard outside his fence. I was outside at the time and heard Karen scream and the man yelling "Oh my God!" repeatedly. I ran to the edge of the yard and met Karen as she slowly came towards me holding her arm. Harley had run up to her as she entered their yard and had ripped her upper arm open. The huge gash was bleeding a tremendous amount and had torn flesh hanging from the arm.

I ran inside and got a roll of paper towels to form a compress on the wound. The neighbors were basically running around frantically. The guy kept saying he was so sorry and he would have Harley "put down" immediately. It may be difficult for some to understand our feelings and what we did next unless they knew how much we both love animals. We stopped for a moment before getting her into the car to go to the emergency room and told them emphatically and repeatedly that under no circumstances did we want Harley killed. He was, in his own mind, probably defending his home against a threat. If anyone was to blame it was the neighbors for not adequately training Harley.

Karen was scared to death on the trip to the emergency room, afraid she would die or lose her arm. I spent the trip trying to calm and reassure her when I was terrified myself. The lady from next door followed us with Harley's shot/vet records. They took her immediately into the back and began working on her. The bleeding had slowed by this time. They took xrays because part of the wound went to the bone and they were afraid a bone may have been fractured. The xray was ok so they gave her a tetanus shot, antibiotic, and pain meds, cleaned the wound out, and partially closed it with stitches. She went home with it bandaged up. That Monday Karen went to our regular doctor who restitched the wound, completely closing it. She stayed home for a week for healing. The wound had to be bandaged for about three weeks. Now it is almost completely healed, with just a tiny bit of scab remaining. There will be scars but no other problem with it.

They kept Harley alive as we asked and they extended the invisible fence around the entire back yard.

One thing that bothers me about the whole event is that these people are supposed to be devout Christians who attend church every chance they can but they never came over to see how Karen was doing, never brought over a meal for her, and never even sent her a get well card. I think the only reason the woman came to the hospital was because they were afraid we were going to sue them. When they found out we weren't going to do this they seemed to not care. I just don't understand how supposed Christians can be as callous as this. The woman's father is a pastor and the man plays guitar and sings in the choir. I suppose this uncaring nature is the way of the world today for many in spite of religious convictions. It puzzles me how they can reconcile their behavior in light of Christian charity and compassion. Still, I don't blame the dog for their stupidity or callousness. We are both glad that Harley got his second chance at life. I just hope that they have enough sense to work with him so something like this never happens again. As far as Karen's attitude, she says she will only be contacting them by telephone in the future if the need arises. I can't blame her.

--------------------

Daddy Cat left this world at the age of 17. His tribute page is at Daddy Cat's Tribute Page
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dusty Moonrise
post Sep 16 2009, 09:43 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,909

Ken,

As saddened, shocked, and sadly dissapointed by some who profess to be "devout" Christians, I must applaud the decision that you and your wife made not to seek revenge on a creature that only did what he thought was his duty.

I am NOT going to get on my own personal soapbox concerning Pit Bull breeds or PB mixes, other than to say that the fault lies with poor breeding habits, poor training, and poor choices, ALL of which can be laid at the doorsteps of the HUMANS who are responsible!

I hope that your wife's arm continues to heal well, and as someone who is a Christian, I will pray for healing for all concerned, physically, mentally, and in the case of your neighbors, spiritually, so that they might be convicted in their hearts about this.

God bless you both once again for not blaming Harley.

Andy

+Quote Post
petmum
post Sep 17 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,842

Ken I am glad your wife is ok.
I too applaud your decision not ask for the dog to be put down. You would hve been totally within your legal rite to. You & your wife show us all that it's not the animals fault that it is the humans who are @fault who are supposedly being responsible for the animals in their care....as for your neighbours response or rather lack of it......it is sad indeed....
ppl call themselves all sorts of things....but actions speak louder than words....
God Bless
elaine

+Quote Post
patricia
post Sep 18 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,599

well said elaine and andy. it is unfortunate. i must say from experience that in all churches there are people that attend just for appearances sake, (which is why i stopped going. i figured my spirituality begins in my heart) i am glad that your wife is doing well. and how lovely of both of you to give that poor dog another chance. however, with the way the owners handled it, one must wonder how they treat harley. (sigh). just a couple of weeks ago, i took lucy out for a walk and every blue moon i let her walk with the retractable leash. but shes such a little cutie that its rare when someone doesnt stop us to pet her. i should have known better but this lovely gentleman was dying to pet her and of course she hams it up. she got so excited she started running around in circles and he put his hand out to stop her and got a nasty burn from the (yes!) the retractable leash. i was horrified, because i know that can hurt pretty bad. i was relieved (to a certain extent as it could have been much worse). what a wonderful man he was as he didnt not get upset or angry and instead blamed himself (WHAT???) for putting himself in the situation. as i did not know where he lived but i knew i would see him again and when i did, certainly inquired how he was doing. again, this sweet man told me not to worry, he was fine. guess whose fault this was? mine and all mine. as a dog owner, i must teach lucy to listen to my commands and teach her to be calm. as pet owners we all have a responsibility to protect our pets as well as all those around us. it is truly sad that there are irresponsible pet owners out there whose first response is to put the dog down, instead of accepting responsibilty within themselves and doing something about it.

praying your wife continue to heal.
patricia

+Quote Post
katzen11
post Sep 28 2009, 07:02 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,125

OMG
what a horrible thing that happened to Your wife
and I am so glad that her wound is healing
(I know, how dangerous that can be)
I guess, no further comment to those neighbours
I can only join what has been said here already
glad, that Harley got a second chance
best regards to Karen
Your`s
Eva

--------------------
in loving memory of my sweet babycat Felice
+ 8 december 2006

+Quote Post
ann
post Sep 29 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,838

Ken, I'm glad your wife is ok..These are the stories I've been reading in the paper just about everyday. .Today, as a matter of fact, a little boy about 3 had 100 stitches in his head from a bit pull bite. I honestly believe it is not the breed, but the owners. Yes, the breed is part of it, but they need to be trained correctly...Like you said, he was defending his teritory, and as for the little boy, well, kids can be rough and takes the animal by surprise.. I am glad you did not have the dog put down, I do agree with you on that. There should be a law stating that any owner of an animal that attacks should have to do some dog training or something...Nope! the easy way out, put it down.. Move on.. So sad.

As for the Christian part of your story, I find I have noticed the same thing.. I don't like to judge people on anything, but I've seen it with people at work and even my own family, how suprisingly rude they can be, and it's just so unexpected. Regadless, you did them a huge favor, and like you said they ignored the whole thing.. I think somehow they need to be reminded of this...Best of luck..Ann

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:09 AM