• Site Search
  • Search Local Business Listings
Home News Business Sports Entertainment Living Interact Jobs Autos Real Estate Classifieds Shop

See another view of this page by choosing local coverage below. How to set your local coverage

Update in Dearborn Chihuahua rescue: More than 150 dead bodies found, some in freezers

by Aaron Foley | MLive.com
Friday July 24, 2009, 2:19 PM

Law enforcement officials search a home in Dearborn, Mich., Thursday, July 23, 2009. Authorities said a man kept more than 90 dogs, mostly Chihuahuas, locked inside the home.

In the third day of a rescue of dozens of dogs from a Dearborn home, police have found more than 150 dead dogs across the home, many in freezers, refrigerators and plastic bags.

Fox 2 reports that an investigation is ongoing and criminal charges are pending.

More than 100 dogs, mostly Chihuahas were rescued from the home. If you are interested in adopting one of them, visit www.dearborn-animals.com.

Neighbors began to complain of a stench coming from the home, which was well-kept on the outside. Inside, however, officials found trash piled high and feces and urine covering the floors. Officials had to use masks to breathe.

Forty-two ailing and feces-covered dogs were rescued Wednesday. Crews returned Thursday and found more than 60 dogs.

The man living in the house was taken to a local hospital for observation. His family, which lives in Florida, was cooperating with officials. Investigators have said he apparently was hoarding the dogs.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

COMMENTS (26)Post a comment
Posted by milkdud on 07/24/09 at 3:59PM

He is obviously mentally ill. How did he get so many dogs? I hope the shelters have policies that prevent excessive adoptions.

Posted by FuIIBoat on 07/24/09 at 4:13PM

Is this Mike Vick's house?

Which is worse; Dogfighting or neglegence resulting in dead dogs?

Posted by chuckefarley on 07/24/09 at 4:15PM

maybe chihuahas multiply like rabbits?

Posted by huntersmom on 07/24/09 at 4:31PM

Both dog fighting and neglegence are just as bad!!! What is wrong with these people don't they realize these are living creatures with feeling like us!!! DUH!! I hope he pays a good price for that. Hopefully loving people adopt the dogs that are left. It is too bad the dogs that passed had to live this way. They could have been with loving families instead they got stuck with a psycho!!! WTF!!!

Posted by offelia on 07/24/09 at 4:51PM

How did he get so many dogs??? Most likely, he didn't spay and neuter the ones he started out with. I've heard that story before - "We only started out with 4 dogs, but SOMEHOW, we ended up with a house full!"

Posted by jloot on 07/24/09 at 5:00PM

If he has enough money he will spend 18 months in jail like Vick. Otherwise he will probably end up in there for 10 yrs

Posted by ghostlimb on 07/24/09 at 5:05PM

The way this guy deals with problems makes him an instant candidate for Detroit City Council.

Posted by labatts on 07/24/09 at 5:20PM

jloot, i doubt if he gets any jail time. i agree with milkdud... he is obviously ill.

oh, and LOL ghost

Posted by Sobaid on 07/24/09 at 5:43PM

"Who let the dogs out, who, who, who let the dogs out"
Lmfao. This is crazy. How the he'll did he get 150 dogs in there. That's freakin disgusting. He should be in jail for the rest of his life. Unless he was probably a dog himself. What was he this thinking. What has the world gotten into?????

Posted by Sobaid on 07/24/09 at 5:45PM

"Who let the dogs out, who, who, who let the dogs out"
Lmfao. This is crazy. How the he'll did he get 150 dogs in there. That's freakin disgusting. What has the world gotten into??????????

Posted by gordorubio on 07/24/09 at 6:09PM

Sounds like a lot of Chinese buffett to me...that's what I'm talking about...

Posted by gordorubio on 07/24/09 at 6:11PM

sounds like a lot of Chinese buffetts to me...that's some goooood eating...

Posted by 122084 on 07/24/09 at 7:05PM

In an earlier report, it was stated that his family had been helping him. Were they providing dog food?, extra freezer space? or maybe the extra large plastic bags. Whatever, caregivers like this- help to make the world a better place.

Posted by ALEXDOUG on 07/24/09 at 7:24PM

what can you say the whole east side of the state is a rat hole.

Posted by ALEXDOUG on 07/24/09 at 7:24PM

what can you say the whole east side of the state is a rat hole.

Posted by ShellMMG on 07/24/09 at 8:00PM

I hope this man gets the help he needs and all the dogs find good homes.

My grandparents were hoarders, and it's a mental illness that is NOT easily dealt with. It's possible he started with one or two dogs and things got out of control, then he got to the point where he was embarrassed and ashamed to ask for help.

If he truly loves these dogs he'll be happy to know they're being cared for.

Posted by vburgalum on 07/24/09 at 8:51PM

ppl are saying how did he get 150 dogs? read the story again, how did he get 250+ dogs? It says over 100 rescued and over 150 found dead. I guess after the first 150 whos counting right?!?!

Posted by stuckinMI on 07/24/09 at 8:59PM

Did this guy have zero neighbors? How would no one notice that many dogs until it got to this point? Incredible.

Posted by Socorro on 07/24/09 at 9:13PM

Hoarding is incredibly difficult to deal with I agree, ShellMMG. Many people who deal with this behavior often end up losing their housing because of situations much like this. I hope he does get the help he so obviously needs and the remaining animals are able to adopted out.

Posted by Rebel4US on 07/24/09 at 10:44PM

Where were the NEIGHBORS?? where were this man's Doctors?? Curious to know that if he is being held for evaluation, he must have been a bit off for a while.Did his family not ever check on him?? No relatives close by?? No friends?? THIS is SAD!! That this would be allowed to happen... Nobody noticed the dogs?? Nobody heard the BARKING?? you get that many small dogs or any size dogs in one place, and the barking would drive you mad.. Someone had to have heard something...WOW this is astonishing..to hears such disturbing news regarding these poor animals.. I hope that the remaining dogs find loving homes.

Posted by ghostlimb on 07/25/09 at 2:41AM

On the Wednesday news, neighbors were interviewed, some had called police eight times over the last couple of years and no one would come to the home. Only so much neighbors dealing with the smell and barking can do if the police won't respond to repeated calls.

It took the police answering a different call for a neighbor about a cat... then the police heard the barking and decided to make a move.

Posted by geeduh on 07/25/09 at 7:00AM

HEY,
WHATS WRONG WITH OUR POLICE...DID THEY TAKE A COURSE IN HOW TO CLEAN UP DOG POOP. THIS IS WHAT THEY DO WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS. WHERE'S THE DOG POLICE?

Posted by jbrent on 07/25/09 at 10:50AM

Just another sign of the times.

Posted by Neisey on 07/25/09 at 12:19PM

Hoarding is a serious mental illness. This guy probably started with one or two dogs. Hoarders love their pets, dogs or cats, that is why they don't like to give them away or sell them. When they are finally overloaded with animals, it is too late.
I agree that this was a job for animal control, not the police.
Also, the neighbors are/were not responsible for this mans behavior. His family should have been checking on him, didn't they come home to visit? How can someone live in a house full of animal poop and pee? His lungs must be in bad shape.

Posted by milkdud on 07/25/09 at 3:21PM

Dog fighting by far is worse than hoarding since the owners are not mentally ill. This guy probably loved all his dogs but was unable to care for them.

Posted by SRVRon on 07/25/09 at 10:43PM

Another animal collector, another terrible mess of neglected and dead animals to deal with.

Forty years ago, there was one such person in this neighborhood with large dogs that ran loose in a pack. When she died, Animal Control collected and put down most of the dogs as unadoptable. The house, which contained several inches of animal waste on the second floor, was demolished and hauled to a hazardous waste landfill.

INSIDE DETROIT
Resources
  • MLive Detroit News RSS RSS | Newsletters
  • MLive Detroit Twitter Follow us on Twitter
  • MLive Detroit Facebook Facebook us!
  • Contacts
  • MLive.com Detroit
  • Detroit Jobs
  • Detroit Real Estate
  • Detroit Autos
  • Detroit Classifieds
  • Browse by month posted:
    SPECIAL FEATURE

On a Thursday afternoon in mid-July, about 40 folks have gathered in the sanctuary of Liberty Temple Baptist Church on Detroit's west side to hear from five people who want to be the city's next mayor. The candidates are varied and optimistic, earnest and ...
    YOUR PHOTOS
    mmmm

GET PUBLISHED
    We need your help covering Metro Detroit!

Submit your Blog Post Submit your Photos
    Submit your News Tips Submit your Videos
    Post Free Classifieds

Close
    New on MLive.com: choose your local coverage

The first time you view the new MLive.com, you'll see the "Statewide" version of the home page. You can select local coverage using the links below. You can also choose to have the site remember your selection. Learn more about setting your local coverage

Save this selection and always show local content from this area?