Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies
> Trevor's Grandpa Has Gone Home, Reunited in the Perfect World
Gretta's Mom
post Aug 10 2014, 02:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,067

Hello all friends of Bobbie, Trevor, Gretta, and/or Rufus

Another of our "people" family has gone to the Perfect World - Bobbie's 86-year old father.

When Bobbie first got cancer, her dad spent a winter with her and her husband in Baltimore so that we wouldn't have to endure another northern Minnesota winter. While he was here, he had the second of three strokes, the side effects of which would eventually take his life. He was so sad when he left Baltimore that he would have to go into assisted living instead of back to his house. A few months later, his name came to the top of the waiting list at the Veterans Home, where he had spent thousands of volunteer hours after my mother's death in 2003. Like our beloved animals, we are all going to die of something someday and August 1 was dad's day to go home to God, his wife, Bobbie and all the most-loved dogs. He was fascinated by my half black lab/half Newfie because the dog could sit in a perfect sphynx pose for such a long time without moving a muscle. Dad thought Rufus looked just like a sculpture.

During Bobbie's last months Ii moved to Baltimore to be with her. When she went home, I stayed here to live (I love the city). For a long time I could talk to dad on the phone - albeit in very short conversations and under the eagle eye of our middle sister who took it upon herself to guard dad from all contact she didn't approve. Although I bought him the finest pair of hearing aids on the planet (from Germany) he and his caregivers could never get the hang of adjusting them so they became just brass-colored baubles. finally we couldn't talk on the phone at all. So I wrote him "picture letters" - basically Power-Point-like single sheets with a design or picture and some 36-point type words. He had to have them read to him and I suspect many of them were not. But a person can only do what they can do - and if interference takes place somewhere else, one is powerless. At least one can look oneself in the mirror with some honor.

I was blessed to be able to spend two days alone with dad in what would end up being the last week of his earthly life. He was cogent and could hear if I spoke slowly and directly into the hearing aid. We were blessed to be able to have all the conversations that some people never get to have and then spend the rest of their lives regretting.

Please read between the lines or contact me privately to talk about my not being able to be with dad as he passed or at his funeral, which is tomorrow. Send me a private message and I will send you my personal e-mail. Today (his memorial) and tomorrow are going to be the saddest days of my life - prevented from honoring dad with my presence at his last hurrah and seeing and touching his body and kissing him good bye for the last time. But my dad was about gentleness, peace, humility and grace, NOT about three-ring circuses conducted by someone whose mind is not right. Dad is in heaven and he knows what the real story is.

Thank you for being there for Bobbie and me as we have both had the worst two years of our lives. She is safe, happy, healthy, carefree and basking in the love of God and the precious animals who lived with her here on earth. My father is with God, his family and his many, many friends from all over the world. They have made it. The rest of us are still with the Pilgrim on his wearisome Progress.

God bless all of you and please keep posting about the precious animals who are in your life. Without Lightning Strike I would surely be in a mental hospital somewhere.

Gretta and Rufus's mom
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Gretta's Mom   Trevor's Grandpa Has Gone Home   Aug 10 2014, 02:51 PM
- - LoveMyMickey   Dear Jeanne, I am so sorry you lost your dad. I ...   Aug 10 2014, 05:51 PM
- - Gretta's Mom   Thank you so much, Love My Mickey. My dad truly w...   Aug 11 2014, 05:43 AM
- - Brutus   I am very sorry Jeanne. You sure have had to deal...   Aug 12 2014, 09:07 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Oh Sonya, my heart and prayers go out to YOU. Losi...   Aug 12 2014, 01:27 PM
- - Gretta's Mom   Hi Trevor, Gretta and Rufus, Don't you just l...   Aug 18 2014, 07:07 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Calling all Trevor's brother and cousins and h...   Aug 30 2014, 09:28 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Dear dad. I know Wednesday was your first birthda...   Sep 13 2014, 06:12 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Calling all "Trevor's pack". No spe...   Sep 28 2014, 06:05 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Heaven is blessed today with a beautiful "Dad...   Oct 13 2014, 06:40 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Hello Trevor's grandpa, First I want you to k...   Nov 1 2014, 11:04 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Hello dear daddy Did you hear all the wonderful p...   Nov 15 2014, 03:38 PM
- - Gretta's Mom   To the best dad there ever was My heart is so fil...   Nov 28 2014, 06:32 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Dear Trevor's grandpa My heart is so sad that...   Dec 16 2014, 06:31 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Dear, dear dad, My hero, my best friend, my const...   Jan 6 2015, 07:09 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Good morning to the best father who ever lived...   Feb 1 2015, 06:59 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Hi Daddy I wrote you a long letter yesterday on m...   Feb 23 2015, 09:39 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Dear Gretta and Rufus's grandpa, Now I know w...   Mar 15 2015, 08:15 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Hi Dad, It's been a long time since I wrote t...   Apr 13 2015, 08:47 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Hello Trevor's Grandpa It's me, your olde...   Jul 7 2015, 03:06 PM
- - Gretta's Mom   Hello Trevor's Grandpa. I hope you are up the...   Jul 18 2015, 05:41 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Hello Daddy, It's a hot summer here in Baltim...   Aug 6 2015, 07:34 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Good morning my heavenly Dad, You probably watche...   Aug 25 2015, 07:59 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Good morning Trevor's grandpa You can see all...   Sep 27 2015, 06:37 AM
- - Gretta's Mom   Happy (belated Thanksgiving). Trevor's grandpa...   Nov 27 2015, 06:55 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:06 AM